The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 June 2024, 10:46 PM   #121
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I hate to be that judgmental guy. Of course, you can do what you want, and frankly, I don't care what you do.

But I have to say it again. You've stated before that you don't have much money left over at the end of each month. If this is indeed the case, sitting on a 10-grand wristwatch is stupid at best. These things, as great as they are, are a luxury, perhaps the pinnacle of luxury to some. It's the equivalent to having a supercar sat outside your council flat.

Get your priorities straight. Invest in yourself. Learn a new skill, up your earning potential. Use that 10 grand to change your life.

You could do that, and in 10 years buy a Submariner outright, and trust me, that will feel 10000000 times better than just winning it in a competition.
I take your points, they are valid, obviously in my current situation £1000 is a lot of money hence I would have to wait until dealers are prepared to offer at least £11,500, obviously no way to know when that will be, could be 2 months, could be 2 years +

I genuinely do like the watch, it has grown on me more and more over time for sure, it seems to be very much in the depreciating camp currently though unfortunately, thatís unfortunate but itís still an amazing watch to own irrespective of market fluctuations.
Old 14 June 2024, 05:24 AM   #122
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddydog52 View Post
I take your points, they are valid, obviously in my current situation £1000 is a lot of money hence I would have to wait until dealers are prepared to offer at least £11,500, obviously no way to know when that will be, could be 2 months, could be 2 years +

I genuinely do like the watch, it has grown on me more and more over time for sure, it seems to be very much in the depreciating camp currently though unfortunately, thatís unfortunate but itís still an amazing watch to own irrespective of market fluctuations.

The market is not fluctuating, just starting to correct itself, and slowly getting back to normal. In a couple of years that watch will fetch you about $8,000, if youíre lucky. Holding onto it, hoping it increases in value is magical thinking.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14 June 2024, 06:11 AM   #123
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
The market is not fluctuating, just starting to correct itself, and slowly getting back to normal. In a couple of years that watch will fetch you about $8,000, if youíre lucky. Holding onto it, hoping it increases in value is magical thinking.

Kat

Is the market not always fluctuating by definition?

The market price for this particular model fluctuates sometimes as much as £40 per day, by your logic every owner who is open to selling at some point in time would sell up now rather than see another $2000 worth of depreciation from today onwards!

How can you have such conviction in your prediction? even respected, educated and informed voices wouldn't be so bold to make such a certain prediction with regards to a particular model over an upcoming 24 month period! you're guessing, just like everyone else is.

So I'm not sure why you find it so implausible that this model could have actually increased in value in a couple of years time? my thinking isn't anything magical, just more to do with potential circumstances/conditions that could occur in the future, Rolex is a market in of itself which I accept could go well or not so well from this point forward, I'm not sure how you can be so dogmatic!

But as always you're entitled to your views, however seemingly non sensical some of them seem to me.
Old 14 June 2024, 06:36 AM   #124
KatGirl

Scratches

Common sense. The market is softening, and your watch is aging. Itís already a three year old used Rolex. Itís never a good idea to try to make money, by holding on to watches. You missed your opportunity to get maximum value for that piece. Itís all downhill, from here on out. If you were just offered 10.000 pounds, you should have taken it. I suspect though, that number will decrease after they inspect it, and itís not in new condition, as you probably described it. I am trying to help. You need the money. You arenít wearing the watch. Itís not a special piece that will increase in value. But, your decision. Do with it what you want.

Kat

Old 14 June 2024, 07:01 AM   #125
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Common sense. The market is softening, and your watch is aging. Itís already a three year old used Rolex. Itís never a good idea to try to make money, by holding on to watches. You missed your opportunity to get maximum value for that piece. Itís all downhill, from here on out. If you were just offered 10.000 pounds, you should have taken it. I suspect though, that number will decrease after they inspect it, and itís not in new condition, as you probably described it. I am trying to help. You need the money. You arenít wearing the watch. Itís not a special piece that will increase in value. But, your decision. Do with it what you want.

Kat

With regards the accusation that I didnít inform the dealer (have actually seen this dealer recommended on here in the past so thought it was worth contacting them) they offered £10,000, in the intervening few days when I noticed the scratches I sent them the following follow up email:

ďI recently checked out my bracelet using my loupe and noticed 7 or 8 minor scratches that can only be seen up close when held at a certain light, the rest of the watch and accessories are in immaculate condition, no scratches on the face, case, bezel, lugs or clasp but I just wanted to point out the scratches on the bracelet to give the fairest reflection of its overall condition, how much, if at all would these scratches impact your offer price? Here are images to show what Iím referring to:Ē

They viewed the images and responded:

ďWe have accounted for having to refurb the watch. Providing the marks are not excessively deep this should not affect the price.Ē

So itís reassuring that they will still offer the same price with the scratches, itís not like they are deep, just surface scratches, obviously Iím no expert on severity of scratches on bracelets but itís not like you can even feel them when you run your finger over them so I guess that would make them surface scratches as opposed to deeper more problematic ones.

just wanted to respond to your accusation that I would attempt to deliberately mislead as what would be the point as they would inspect the watch very closely and would notice any scratches, always best to be upfront as it shows integrity from my side, just thought it was important to rebut your accusation with my exchange with them above, they seem like a solid outfit from the correspondence Iíve had with them so far.

You may well be right that I missed the highest offer I will ever get 11 months ago, only time will tell if that turns out to be the case or not.
Old 14 June 2024, 07:36 AM   #126
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yep, my points are valid, cos for your situation, theyíre right.

Follow the advice.
Sell the watch.
You donít need the watch. You need the money and what the money can bring you more.
Old 14 June 2024, 07:54 AM   #127
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Sell it now, as is and move on, with Rolex building new facilities to increase production the demand for pre-loved watches will decrease, the market has peaked, dropped a bit and now settled, it is unlikely to go back to the levels it was before, as your watch ages its value will decrease.

The difficulty you face is that your watch is neither new nor vintage, it is unlikely to ever acquire an attractive patina as the old vintage watches have with years of use, this is as you will know is due to modern manufacturing techniques and materials. In addition newer watches are coming to market on a regular basis, if you are going to buy a watch which is hard to come by from an authorised dealer a lot of people will go for the newest.

And maybe the hardest bit to grasp is that your watch is nothing special, it is just a Rolex watch, it’s not a limited edition of 10 or 100 or 1000, it is a regular watch.

If I were in your shoes, I’d strap the watch to my wrist, get out there and have some adventures with it and then in a few years time decide if I still wanted to sell it or maybe keep it and enjoy more adventures.

But it’s your call, you must do what you believe is right for you, advice from opinionated buggers like me is meaningless really as we aren’t you and don’t know the whole picture.

Good luck what ever you decide to do.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Old 14 June 2024, 07:55 AM   #128
KatGirl

Scratches

Quote:
With regards the accusation that I didnít inform the dealer (have actually seen this dealer recommended on here in the past so thought it was worth contacting them) they offered £10,000, in the intervening few days when I noticed the scratches I sent them the following follow up email:

ďI recently checked out my bracelet using my loupe and noticed 7 or 8 minor scratches that can only be seen up close when held at a certain light, the rest of the watch and accessories are in immaculate condition, no scratches on the face, case, bezel, lugs or clasp but I just wanted to point out the scratches on the bracelet to give the fairest reflection of its overall condition, how much, if at all would these scratches impact your offer price? Here are images to show what Iím referring to:Ē

They viewed the images and responded:

ďWe have accounted for having to refurb the watch. Providing the marks are not excessively deep this should not affect the price.Ē

So itís reassuring that they will still offer the same price with the scratches, itís not like they are deep, just surface scratches, obviously Iím no expert on severity of scratches on bracelets but itís not like you can even feel them when you run your finger over them so I guess that would make them surface scratches as opposed to deeper more problematic ones.

just wanted to respond to your accusation that I would attempt to deliberately mislead as what would be the point as they would inspect the watch very closely and would notice any scratches, always best to be upfront as it shows integrity from my side, just thought it was important to rebut your accusation with my exchange with them above, they seem like a solid outfit from the correspondence Iíve had with them so far.

You may well be right that I missed the highest offer I will ever get 11 months ago, only time will tell if that turns out to be the case or not.

No one accused you of anything! Why so sensitive? When you started your other thread you claimed to have just won a brand new watch. I assumed you were telling potential buyers the same thing. In fact, once that card is dated, by the original owner, (not you), it becomes a used watch, and now suddenly a scratched up one. So, be prepared for the offer to suddenly be less, after inspection by the prospective dealer. Thatís how the game is played. There were no accusations in my post. No need to be confrontational. Again, only trying to give helpful advice: Sell the watch NOW, for maximum return.

Kat

Old 14 June 2024, 08:00 AM   #129
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:

Just a thought but if it takes 2+ years to get to £11,500, that could be less than itís worth now after you factor in some inflation.

You see people gasping on some tv programs when they are told that an item they bought for £500 25 years ago is now worth £3k, in reality they have probably lost money as what they could have bought with that money in 1999 now costs 10 times more in 2024.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Old 14 June 2024, 08:48 AM   #130
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No one accused you of anything! Why so sensitive? When you started your other thread you claimed to have just won a brand new watch. I assumed you were telling potential buyers the same thing. In fact, once that card is dated, by the original owner, (not you), it becomes a used watch, and now suddenly a scratched up one. So, be prepared for the offer to suddenly be less, after inspection by the prospective dealer. That’s how the game is played. There were no accusations in my post. No need to be confrontational. Again, only trying to give helpful advice: Sell the watch NOW, for maximum return.

Kat

I have informed every dealer that I contacted that there are scratches on the bracelet, I didn’t really look extremely closely at the bracelet up until a few days ago and then once I spotted one scratch I checked the whole watch over very closely and found the other scratches on the bracelet, it makes sense that I didn’t notice them before now as they can only be seen under a certain light at a certain angle when looking very close up, something that I hadn’t done previously as I’ve rarely handled the watch in the time I’ve had it, I suspect the scratches were already there before it came to me as I’ve no idea of it’s history so who’s to say that someone else hasn’t lightly worn it previously, I can categoricaly state that I have never worn the watch.

I may be a lot of things but I’m not a liar, besides it would be such a trivial thing to lie about anyway.

Perhaps whoever the competition company bought it from on Ebay weren’t completely honest about the scratches or maybe someone who worked for the competition site worn it a few times, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility when you see who runs some of these competition sites.

I’m probably being paranoid but when I was going through that 2 or 3 day period of, which I now reflect upon as being a crazy unnecessary episode, I watched the following video where he showed about lifting up the bracelet and then dropping it:

https://youtu.be/A6KpBMIF6VU?si=AapZdfnlea4x-BVh

(Fast forward to 8 minutes onwards where he demonstrates)

Now, I did it a few times, now I’m wondering if doing it could have resulted in scratching of the bracelet? That’s the only thing I’ve ever done that I can think could have done anything to it.

If I had been aware of these scratches before now then I would, rightly or wrongly, for better or worse created this post at the time I was aware so I can assure you I wasn’t aware of any scratches until recently.
Old 14 June 2024, 08:51 AM   #131
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No one accused you of anything! Why so sensitive? When you started your other thread you claimed to have just won a brand new watch. I assumed you were telling potential buyers the same thing. In fact, once that card is dated, by the original owner, (not you), it becomes a used watch, and now suddenly a scratched up one. So, be prepared for the offer to suddenly be less, after inspection by the prospective dealer. Thatís how the game is played. There were no accusations in my post. No need to be confrontational. Again, only trying to give helpful advice: Sell the watch NOW, for maximum return.

Kat

They informed me that as long as the scratches arnt deep ones then they will still offer the same price that they quoted for unworn/immaculate condition
Old 14 June 2024, 09:00 AM   #132
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
Just sell it please..
Or put it away and forget about it for 10years..
either way, close this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 June 2024, 09:05 AM   #133
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They informed me that as long as the scratches arnt deep ones then they will still offer the same price that they quoted for unworn/immaculate condition
You are correct in what you’re saying in that when I contacted dealers 11 months ago I did state that it was in unworn condition simply because that was my understanding and perception at that time due to not having checked over the watch closely as I have recently, once I was aware of the scratches I have advised any dealer that I have been in touch with accordingly so I wasn’t deliberately attempting to mislead anyone previously, I was repeating what I was told and there wasn’t anything that glaringly stood out with regards to the condition of the bracelet, it was only when I started looking with the loupe that I spotted the scratches, another thing I’m thinking is when I was trying to get in focus with the loupe it was getting close to the watch at times and I do recall it coming into contact with the watch a few times, am wondering if that may have created scratches, second guessing myself now, whoever or whatever caused them is irrelevant really I guess as they are there and that’s the
situation.
Old 14 June 2024, 09:11 AM   #134
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You are correct in what youíre saying in that when I contacted dealers 11 months ago I did state that it was in unworn condition simply because that was my understanding and perception at that time due to not having checked over the watch closely as I have recently, once I was aware of the scratches I have advised any dealer that I have been in touch with accordingly so I wasnít deliberately attempting to mislead anyone previously, I was repeating what I was told and there wasnít anything that glaringly stood out with regards to the condition of the bracelet, it was only when I started looking with the loupe that I spotted the scratches, another thing Iím thinking is when I was trying to get in focus with the loupe it was getting close to the watch at times and I do recall it coming into contact with the watch a few times, am wondering if that may have created scratches, second guessing myself now, whoever or whatever caused them is irrelevant really I guess as they are there and thatís the
situation.
it's clear nothing anyone on this site says will make you change your mind so why keep this going?
Old 14 June 2024, 09:19 AM   #135
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
it's clear nothing anyone on this site says will make you change your mind so why keep this going?
Iím just responding to the responses, I appreciate all of the feedback that I have received from everyone, Iím veering towards holding onto it at this point, I realise soon will see that as not the right course of action from a fiscal perspective, il come back in 2 years and we can see how wrong the decision to hold on was! Lol
Closed Thread