The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 April 2024, 06:00 PM   #1
BMess
"TRF" Member

Royal Oak Chrono (26715st) v. Daytona (126500)

I’m deciding between the new 126500 Daytona and the 38mm AP Royal Oak Chrono (26715st). This will be in addition to my 41mm Sub (no date) and my Pepsi GMT on jubilee. The Pepsi is generally my work watch (NYC attorney) and the sub is generally my weekend watch. The Daytona/Royal Oak will likely be my special occasion/dinner/going out watch.

Daytona gives me nice Rolex variety with the polished center link oyster bracelet. I also love the new 126500’s bezel ring. I’m torn between white and black dial but lean towards black (despite the overwhelming majority favoring white). The Royal Oak gives me brand variety.

Either watch will be a grey market purchase so wait times are irrelevant. The watch will be purchased late this week or early next week.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

(Cross posted in the Rolex section)
Old 9 April 2024, 08:58 PM   #2
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

I own the Daytona and have tried on the 26715st. Daytona fits slimmer on the wrist so if your wrist is not huge, I would go for the Daytona. Both are nice pieces and classics, although the Chrono is way too big to my taste compared to e.g. the 26300.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 09:39 PM   #3
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
I own the Daytona and have tried on the 26715st. Daytona fits slimmer on the wrist so if your wrist is not huge, I would go for the Daytona. Both are nice pieces and classics, although the Chrono is way too big to my taste compared to e.g. the 26300.

Edit: My apologies, I was talking about the 26240ST which is huge. Im sure 26715ST will be nice.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 12:32 AM   #4
herewego
"TRF" Member

Long time lurker, first time poster. I own both a 116 series Daytona and a 26715st. They're almost identical in size. I have a 6.5 inch wrist, so if you're wrist size is the same (or similar), I hope this helps...

My SA at the Rolex AD took off a link or two, and I have a really good fit with the micro adjustments on the bracelet. As for my 38 mm ROC, it was a perfect fit right out of the box, so I was in and out of the AP boutique in no time at pickup.

The bracelet width on both tapers to about the same width (top to bottom). The ROC hugs my wrist better than the Daytona. In a way, the ROC drapes around my wrist almost as well as my jubilee bracelet watches. However, this really depends on your wrist size. I love both watches, but for me, the ROC feels more like a second skin (albeit it feels more delicate). It's personal preference. If you can, get both...
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 12:42 AM   #5
sled2334
"TRF" Member

I have the 26715st gray dial and use it as my special occasion watch, while my BLRO oyster is more of a daily. My father in law has the panda, and the AP stands out much more and feels more special. For about $5-10k more on the gray market you’re getting a hand finished piece. The black dial Daytona has a more similar look to the black dial BLRO and the differences are more subtle (to anyone who isn’t really into watches). Love them both but given your existing collection would recommend the AP.
sled2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 02:09 AM   #6
KB29
"TRF" Member

Wrestling with a very similar decision myself - except the 41mm ROC and the Daytona 116509 Blue Dial. Both seem to be in roughly the same price range on the grey.

Leaning toward the Daytona, and waiting a bit for a newer ROC - I feel like the Daytona is better for the long term should I choose to go a different direction in a few years.
KB29 is offline   Reply With Quote