The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 January 2018, 02:01 PM   #31
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Previous relationship with the AD. No list, asked if I can get a white dial DaytonaC... No money down... 3.5 months later I got my DaytonaC. This is definitley due to the relationship with the AD... And I don't mean spending money (I'm sure it helps)... The Manager said that it's the actual relationship, non watch conversations with all the staff that I have when I swing by, getting to know them, etc. that actually helped.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 05:01 PM   #32
oldsalt
"TRF" Member

Watch: ?????
Went to the AD on Maui to buy my wife a ring (they do limited jewellery too)
and the AD just brought the coffin out and put it on the table and asked if I wanted it...(I had bought a BLNR on a previous visit) so I tried it on and bought it on the spot... just lucky I guess... had it for three months or so and fell out of love with it - so moved it on...easy to do as there are soooo many people waiting for it... so that's my experience with the Daytona...gone but not forgotten...

cheers

P.S. and I only ever used the pushers once - timed the flight back from Honolulu to Sydney....
Old 18 January 2018, 06:29 PM   #33
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I walked into an AD in Singapore and asked if they had an 116520. They brought out a black and a white dial. I asked if I could sleep on it, paid a deposit and went back and picked up the black dial two days later (after an hour dicking round in and out of the shop trying both in direct sunlight).

Back in 2014/2015, you could walk around the ADs in Singapore and if you were really, really unlucky, you might have had to wait until the fourth one to find a SS Daytona to buy.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 08:57 PM   #34
Seaward
"TRF" Member

December 2015, there was a white dial 116520 in the window at Wempe in NY...
116710BLNR
116500LN
Seaward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 09:38 PM   #35
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Was never a huge Daytona fan but my salesperson at AD with whom I had 5 year relationship and from whom I’ve bought several watches (mostly steel, one PM) insisted she add me to “the list” when I stopped by to say hi a few weeks after Basel. Was offered black dial 9/2016 but declined bc I had grown to love the white. 12/2016 was in store looking at Pelagos LHD and store manager came over to me with white DaytonaC in its coffin.. bought it on the spot at MSRP along w the Pelagos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 03:22 AM   #36
ppbskis
"TRF" Member

My brother and I both purchased pieces from a local AD in March of 2016. At that time we asked to be put on the Daytona list. I received the call 9 months later that my Daytona arrived with a white face, just happened to be the week before Christmas so it was a wonderful holiday for me. Good luck to all in the hunt for a Daytona.
ppbskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 03:29 AM   #37
24 nights
Banned

Watch: 43sd +Daytona's
It was around 2002 ,on waiting list for 3 months then got the call. I had never bought from that AD before. 3rd rolex I owned
24 nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 04:37 AM   #38
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaMike View Post
Given the popularity of the Rolex Daytona, I’m curious as to how you came about owning this watch. For example: were you on an AD’s waiting list for this watch? Did you have a customer relationship with the AD? How long did you have to wait until you were able to purchase the watch given that the AD did not have one in stock? Did you purchase the watch from a gray market at premium price? Was this your first Rolex watch?

Thank you, in advance, for your input. I’m on a waiting list at my local AD and have purchased four Rolex watches and a Breitling watch from this AD in the past two years. I’ve been on their waiting list since last July.
I've been on a waiting list since Nov '16. I have a friendly relationship with one salesperson and visit often to talk watches. I've made a Rolex purchase at the AD and some jewelry so I'm at the mercy of the owner whether they honor the list or jump me over for a VIP. I have 4 pieces so the Daytona if it ever materializes will not be my first. I refuse to pay grey market price on principle.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 04:47 AM   #39
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Text Aamir. Agree on price. Wire money. Watch arrives a couple days later. Warranty card with my name arrives a couple days after that.

I have purchased 100% of my watches from grey market sellers who get their watches from ADs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 05:16 AM   #40
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
I paid a premium for one (116500), fair discount for the other (116519).

But safe to assume, we're talking about Steel daytonas.

Here's my take. There's no right or wrong. If you are VIP at an AD and hit the top of the list, incredible. If you're not a VIP and happen to get lucky, incredible.

For me, I've enjoyed years of discounts via trusted sellers (mostly Takuya). The premium I paid for my Daytona, was easily covered by 1 discounted purchase I'd made in the past. That said, Takuya still hooked me up pretty good on my 116500, but I paid a premium alright.

I decided to get a daytona and a day later I had it. I've been enjoying my 116500 for almost a year now while I know others patiently wait for who knows how long. Many who have spent A LOT of money at ADs still wait.

Anyhow, just my 2.
smart
Old 19 January 2018, 05:51 AM   #41
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

I got the call in Feb 2017 and Nov 2017 for white and black, respectively, from AD in NYC. I've been their client for a number of years. Both watches purchased at MSRP

I hardly ever need to time anythjng. I just like the look of the chronograph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 09:23 PM   #42
regnant
"TRF" Member

I waited for 6 months and placed a deposit too. I had bought a watches from my AD as well. A few weeks later they said they no longer accepted the buyers for the Daytona 116500 LN models
Old 20 January 2018, 05:32 AM   #43
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I waited about 20 years before I finally bought a 116500 used, and I sold it within two months...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I sold it in the end as I had trouble reading the dial in some light and NEVER used any of the features...
Me too. I couldn't tell what time it was.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 05:36 AM   #44
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I waited about 20 years before I finally bought a 116500 used, and I sold it within two months...

Me too. I couldn't tell what time it was.
with all due respect, what is your eyesight like? that would be useful to add with these "I can't read a daytona comments". Thank God I have perfect eyesight and I found the 16622 YM platinum dial much harder to read then my white and yellow gold 16518.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 06:58 AM   #45
Dahl
"TRF" Member

No history with AD, 6 months wait, and only paid MSRP.
Dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 08:55 AM   #46
andrewd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Curious. While the Daytona is a terrific-looking watch, how many owners/wearers actually use the tachymeter/stopwatch function on a regular (or semi-regular) basis?

I find the motorsport connection with chronographs amusing, given that lap times are measured to the nearest nanosecond. Who's got reflexes good enough to start and stop the chrono while a racing car goes across the line at 300 MPH? I think my error bar would be +/- 2 seconds, which would be an order of magnitude more than the difference between the fastest and slowest driver.

However, I do like the look of the subdials. i have a Speedy Pro and like looking at it. I have used the chrono function precisely zero times.
andrewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 09:21 AM   #47
Chalet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 13x Rolex Addict
Quote:
Curious. While the Daytona is a terrific-looking watch, how many owners/wearers actually use the tachymeter/stopwatch function on a regular (or semi-regular) basis?

My son plays Under-10 football. Perfect for timing the 15 minutes quarters.
Chalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 09:35 AM   #48
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Cooking, kids’ sports, exercise timing (when it gets to 2 minutes, I’m done), those are about it for me. Not a super useful complication these days, but still fun and attractive.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 09:59 AM   #49
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
So you own a Daytona

AD called me offering a black one, I went and bought it. I told them at that time I wanted a white one too. 2 weeks later I got a call saying my watch was in. I do have a solid history with the AD. My family and I have purchased rolex and diamonds from them.

Jimbogigolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 10:34 AM   #50
herbalt
"TRF" Member

This is a good thread subject.

I have no AD relationships but have bought and sold many watches through this forum over the last 6 years (flipped, as they say, but that indicates a financial upside). For me it’s a hobby- and one I don’t let myself think too much about in terms of the ins and outs on the balance sheet.

I had been looking forward to a steel Daytona with black ceramic bezel since I became interested in Rolex. There was no way I was getting one from an AD with only one watch purchase (years ago). So I did a trade and paid a premium to get one from a trusted seller. I got a very fair deal for the market price and have no regrets.

I wanted the watch, and was fine paying a premium to get it now versus who knows when. It’s the best looking watch I could imagine aside from the platona.

Perfect design language - an extremely “busy” watch that taken as a whole vibrates with simplicity.

herbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 10:39 AM   #51
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Called in a favor to the private equity company that owns the retailer. Had my choice of white or black immediately at MSRP.
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 10:54 AM   #52
TC94
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Walked into an AD in Cancun April 2017 looking to buy an Explorer II, a Yachtmaster, or a Sub. Walked out with a rhodium Yachtmaster. Following day was rainy and I had a question about getting an English Rolex manual for the Yachtmaster, so I went back.

I joked around about whether or not he had a Daytona C in white available for sale. Salesman stepped out for a few minutes and came back with a new one. Bought it for retail 30 mins later.

Just lucky.
TC94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 11:03 AM   #53
herbalt
"TRF" Member

I love this watch. Life is indeed way too short

herbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 06:03 AM   #54
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I find absolutely no use for anything but the time on a watch. I wear my AW3 to work as its 1000x more useful. The Daytona is just a pretty piece of jewelry. Could care less about legibility or functionality. I like it for the look and history and being the hottest watch on the planet :)
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 07:52 AM   #55
storm66
"TRF" Member

‘A’ serial S/S Daytona

I put my name down for a S/S Daytona in 1995 with an AD in Scotland while on a family visit.......... I received a letter from them a couple of years later asking if I was still interested(obviously I replied with a yes) and in September 1999 they contacted me again say they had one.......full list price.....£3150
My Black faced Zenith movement Daytona arrived......
I still have it and wear it often,but a bit less now than when I first got it,still have all the paperwork and boxes,never been polished or let me down......
Just love it!
storm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 08:09 AM   #56
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
2014 I bought my 116520 after an inquiry call to one AD. "Just got a white dial & a black dial in today! Both still in the coffin."

I hear that doesn't happen anymore, though.

In regard to using the chrono: I typically run it as a quick-glance seconds hand, if at all. I also time my DiGiorno oven adventures.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 11:57 AM   #57
holdtime
Banned

Quote:
Never used.
holdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 06:53 PM   #58
Zed82
"TRF" Member

Never bought anything from an AD but called one which i never visited or had any contact with in the past and got on the list. 13 months later i got the call for the white one.
Old 21 January 2018, 07:16 PM   #59
Woody
"TRF" Member

I decided against buying from a grey dealer and opted for the more sensible AD route. When I found an AD who would add my name to their waiting list the price was 4,000 GBP (approximately 6,500 GBP at the time from a grey dealer)........after 4.5 years of patiently waiting I finally purchased a new 116520 from my AD......price was 7,500 GBP.......makes you think. Today, if I wanted to purchase the new model I would have no hesitation in going straight to a grey dealer/trusted seller.........life is too short.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 12:18 AM   #60
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC94 View Post
Walked into an AD in Cancun April 2017 looking to buy an Explorer II, a Yachtmaster, or a Sub. Walked out with a rhodium Yachtmaster. Following day was rainy and I had a question about getting an English Rolex manual for the Yachtmaster, so I went back.

I joked around about whether or not he had a Daytona C in white available for sale. Salesman stepped out for a few minutes and came back with a new one. Bought it for retail 30 mins later.

Just lucky.

Wow lucky indeed

Jimbogigolo is offline   Reply With Quote