The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 January 2018, 06:41 PM   #1
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

DD40 day/date change at different time..

Just find it a little weird that my day and date sometime change over at 12.20a something change over at 12.40a... is this normal? I thought since this is a mechanical watch, shouldn't the date/day change at the same time everyday? Feeling confused.

Should I be worried?

Thx!

Cheers!

Jen
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 07:42 PM   #2
phez
"TRF" Member

Watch: PT DD40 Ice Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
Just find it a little weird that my day and date sometime change over at 12.20a something change over at 12.40a... is this normal? I thought since this is a mechanical watch, shouldn't the date/day change at the same time everyday? Feeling confused.

Should I be worried?

Thx!

Cheers!

Jen
How old is the watch?

When they first came out there was an big issue, that Rolex never admitted to, with the Day Date change being well outside their specifications.

I had 2 DD40’s, purchased in 2016, they initially appeared to be within spec if the hands were wound on manually but when left to change normally, would not change until 1:30am. But this was consistent, it was always 1:30, it never varied like yours appears to be doing. Rolex took them back.

As I understand it the Rolex specification is any time between 11:55 and 12:10. Least that’s according to my AD.

As yours is both out of spec and varying, suggest you take it back to your AD.

My current 2017 DD40 changes at 12:04

Hope this helps.
Grand Seiko GMT blue dial and blue GMT hand
phez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 07:46 PM   #3
n0gga
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=578721

Check out the link above, may be related.
n0gga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 08:50 PM   #4
peterpl
Banned

Common issue - I used to have one that changed like yours. At the start within the first few weeks it changed like around 00:15am. Then over time it got worse to like 1:30am as Phez said. Heaps of people on here had this exact same problem with a member from the UK first reporting it years ago now. Search for it the posts are still there.

My current one DD40 changes at 00:02 every single night on the dot. No variations at all.

ALL of the first batches have this issue. Its well known issue now and all RSC's know about it even though there was never a public statement from Rolex about it most likely because that would have been a massive stink and bad press for them releasing something that was never tested properly. Its actually a very basic function that never should have slipped from their QC testing especially on the Day Date models.

Looks like you bought one of the first ones (dont forget these can stay in shop windows for years so even if you purchased in 2017 it might have been made 2 years earlier).

Take it to RSC and they will fix it. Make sure they supply new hands and ensure there is absolutely no scratches/hairs and dust when they open it up.

Goodluck.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 11:34 PM   #5
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
That sounds like it's a bit out of spec ... it's supposed to be within several minutes on one side or the other, and it probably shouldn't vary much on the same watch!
Old 19 January 2018, 02:09 PM   #6
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Thank you v much for all the feedbacks! Mine is only one year old.
Old 19 January 2018, 06:49 PM   #7
phez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you v much for all the feedbacks! Mine is only one year old.
As Peterpl said the DD’s aren’t fast sellers, so although you bought yours in 2017 it could easily be one of the first batch

Some will say as long as it shows the right day and date when you wake it, it’s fine.

However, I am of the “camp” that thinks a watch this expensive should operate within specification.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 19 January 2018, 09:25 PM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agree with others, a known defect and easy to fix under warranty. The mid-year DD40 here changes at 12:00:08.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 09:57 PM   #9
Jamesw20
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
This is 1 of those funny things about luxury items. While I’d want the error correcte, I’ve come to expect these moments after driving range rovers for years with “bugs.” If perfect time is what you want changing the second at midnight go with an Apple Watch or simple digital. Crazy more expensive products are quirky and less are not. Range Rover vs Toyota.
Jamesw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 10:27 PM   #10
David Park
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phez View Post
As Peterpl said the DD’s aren’t fast sellers, so although you bought yours in 2017 it could easily be one of the first batch

Some will say as long as it shows the right day and date when you wake it, it’s fine.

However, I am of the “camp” that thinks a watch this expensive should operate within specification.

Would you please explain what you mean by “one of the first batch”. Thanks.
David Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 11:28 PM   #11
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Park View Post
Means probably all the ones manufactured when the DD40 was released initially for probably the first year or so.

It wasn't until they sold a few of these that ppl started to complain naturally as more and more people where observing the new movement and its stability.

Then when more and more ppl started complaining about the date change thats when it got brought to Rolex's attention. After that I think all the movements that left the factory are fixed however there would be 1000s out there still in windows of shops that have been sitting for years. Those ones would still be affected. Even the anniversary green dial was affected so that means even after 1 year of the DD40 release Rolex still was releasing watches with problem movements.

So to be on the safe side if your buying one make sure you test the date flip and see how it works when it flips automatically (not by winding it).

When you manually wind it will always flip within spec. Its when you let it flip by itself when the problem is.

If your buying from a TD on here get them to observe the watch over a few nights before you pay them to ensure it flips within spec.
Old 19 January 2018, 11:32 PM   #12
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phez View Post

Mine is with the 60th Anniversary olive dial though.
Old 19 January 2018, 11:33 PM   #13
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Mine is with the 60th Anniversary olive dial though.
Read my post above. Those dials are also affected. I know a few ppl with the green dial have date flip issues as well. I take it your still up right now watching the flip because its 00:32am Sydney time??. Hahaha

The only dial that would be safe would be the new White dials. They just got released last year so I would hope Rolex has fixed them - I'd be very very surprised and worried if they still inhabited the same issues.
Old 19 January 2018, 11:44 PM   #14
phez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Park View Post
Exactly what Peterpl wrote. The first DD40’s were susceptible to the late day/date change. In April 2016 Rolex UK actually sourced a 2nd DD40 for me direct from Geneva, even that exhibited the late change so I returned it for a full refund.

I picked up a new DD40 in October 2016 and both Rolex and my AD tested that watch for 5 day’s each to ensure the change was within spec. It was
Old 20 January 2018, 01:19 AM   #15
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Just go to sleep at that time
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 01:29 AM   #16
Wing-Co
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 40mm WG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Just go to sleep at that time
Yep, had mine 2 years and never looked at midnight! Tells the time and date when I'm awake and when it's in for service in 7-10 yrs they'll do what ever they do. Head in sand and v happy as it looks ace...!!!
Wing-Co is offline   Reply With Quote