The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 2 December 2017, 04:08 AM   #1
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Rubber B for Audemars Piguet

This looks very interesting! Received a newsletter email from Rubber B today announcing that this will be available in a few weeks from today (Dec 1 2017).

My thoughts, I'm excited to see the product unfold and see some more photos release. Rubber B makes a quality product and might provide a nice alternative to OEM AP.

However, Rubber B has worked really well in the past because most brands DO NOT already offer high quality rubber options. As of today, AP does even to models originally sold on bracelet. So it will be interesting to see how it compares to what AP already offers, in both quality, design and pricing.

I like that the design they went with has it's own unique signature compared to OEM AP straps. However, I'm not crazy about the squared point the sticks out from the top cross bar. I think if that cross bar ran straight across it would look better. But Maybe in person I'd fee differently.

My suspicion is that they will offer this strap to watches that come with leather straps. For those of us who have ROs on bracelets, we might have to source some plots and a clasp to make it happen.

They did something similar with the Tudor BB. Only available to those who bought the BB on leather strap with clasp. That'd be kind of annoying if that's the case, and would almost certainly prevent me from being a buyer!

Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 04:25 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post

However, Rubber B has worked really well in the past because most brands DO NOT already offer high quality rubber options. As of today, AP does even to models originally sold on bracelet. So it will be interesting to see how it compares to what AP already offers, in both quality, design and pricing.
To me this is the difference between getting one for a Rolex vs an AP. You don't really have a choice with Rolex in most cases. AP already offers a lot of straps. There is no way i would go third party when AP already has great straps.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 05:16 AM   #3
moorery2001
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
To me this is the difference between getting one for a Rolex vs an AP. You don't really have a choice with Rolex in most cases. AP already offers a lot of straps. There is no way i would go third party when AP already has great straps.
AP makes great straps for Off Shore (42-44mm) but I've never been aware for alternatives available for Royal Oak (39-41mm) I know you can probably get them from limited series like Italy special edition or Doha edition but they are a pain to get. Rubber B is by far the best rubber strap for Rolex and Tudor and even Patek so I think they're worth checking out if you own one.
moorery2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 05:21 AM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I like rubber b and use one on my SDc. That said, I’ll beat the dead horse and state that it’s a crime to remove the bracelet from a RO!

Also that design seems odd.
Old 2 December 2017, 05:41 AM   #5
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorery2001 View Post
AP makes great straps for Off Shore (42-44mm) but I've never been aware for alternatives available for Royal Oak (39-41mm) I know you can probably get them from limited series like Italy special edition or Doha edition but they are a pain to get. Rubber B is by far the best rubber strap for Rolex and Tudor and even Patek so I think they're worth checking out if you own one.
At least for the 15400 they offer any strap, leather or rubber along with the conversion kit. It’s pricey.

The rubber be might be a good alternative if the quality is good, it includes all the hardware and the price is right.
Old 2 December 2017, 05:59 AM   #6
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This looks very interesting! Received a newsletter email from Rubber B today announcing that this will be available in a few weeks from today (Dec 1 2017).

My thoughts, I'm excited to see the product unfold and see some more photos release. Rubber B makes a quality product and might provide a nice alternative to OEM AP.

I like that the design they went with has it's own unique signature compared to OEM AP straps. However, I'm not crazy about the squared point the sticks out from the top cross bar. I think if that cross bar ran straight across it would look better. But Maybe in person I'd fee differently.

My suspicion is that they will offer this strap to watches that come with leather straps. For those of us who have ROs on bracelets, we might have to source some plots and a clasp to make it happen.

They did something similar with the Tudor BB. Only available to those who bought the BB on leather strap with clasp. That'd be kind of annoying if that's the case, and would almost certainly prevent me from being a buyer!

It's interesting you mention that because It showed on my Facebook feed today before I got the email and I have to say that I was also disappointed because it was not for SS or Gold bracelet models so I got on the phone with them because I really want to get one. I already own several of their products and have been very pleased with their service and quality. I was very happy to hear that beyond this release they are simultaneously working on a strap that's calibrated specifically for my SS RO and models alike that will release early 2018.

I think you might end up turning into a Rubber B customer after all!
joerivers1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 06:13 AM   #7
Leeq
"TRF" Member

I Like it!
Leeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 06:16 AM   #8
alex_moreno111
"TRF" Member

Now thats's my kind of Spa...
alex_moreno111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 06:25 AM   #9
timmytimng
"TRF" Member

I dont own an Audemars Piguet but I wouldn't mind owning that one as is. =/
timmytimng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 06:39 AM   #10
Lew_greene
"TRF" Member

not sure about this one - Rolex and Panerai Ok but this would have to grow on me
Lew_greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 06:52 AM   #11
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerivers1961 View Post
It's interesting you mention that because It showed on my Facebook feed today before I got the email and I have to say that I was also disappointed because it was not for SS or Gold bracelet models so I got on the phone with them because I really want to get one. I already own several of their products and have been very pleased with their service and quality. I was very happy to hear that beyond this release they are simultaneously working on a strap that's calibrated specifically for my SS RO and models alike that will release early 2018.

I think you might end up turning into a Rubber B customer after all!
Interesting info! Thanks for sharing.

Did you ask about the hardware and clasp?
Old 2 December 2017, 07:10 AM   #12
crisc416
"TRF" Member

WOW. Did not know THAT was coming. absolutely stunning.
crisc416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 07:12 AM   #13
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting info! Thanks for sharing.

Did you ask about the hardware and clasp?
You know what? I did not ask that! I'll find out and post answers. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 2 December 2017, 10:33 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I wouldn't mind that on my 44, esp if some good colours, any idea of price?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 10:36 AM   #15
ros
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Nice. do you have an idea of cost?
ros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 10:49 AM   #16
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
AP rubber straps may be the finest I have ever worn.
I would not be satisfied with the lesser quality of others on an AP even if AP didn't offer the option for a particular model.
Old 2 December 2017, 12:23 PM   #17
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ros View Post
Nice. do you have an idea of cost?
No idea but my guess is that it would follow suit with their other straps... $200-275.
Old 2 December 2017, 07:45 PM   #18
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Definitely not for me, I don't like the pattern on it at all. I will stick with the gen blue rubber strap I currently have on my RO rose gold.

In the pics the strap ends are hidden but I assume it will be designed to fit a deployment clasp rather than tang.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 05:29 AM   #19
jeffahn
"TRF" Member

I purchased the Tudor BB one they had and added a pin buckle. The quality is there, but the one standard length is absurdly long, and this has prevented me from putting it back onto the watch.

That said, i suppose design (color) and price would be what they needed to differentiate themselves. As you mentioned, the plots are a required item if coming from a bracelet so wouldn't make sense for someone not to consider the AP strap if they're already that far into the conversion costs.
jeffahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 12:53 AM   #20
Lew_greene
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
AP rubber straps may be the finest I have ever worn.
I would not be satisfied with the lesser quality of others on an AP even if AP didn't offer the option for a particular model.
Pretty bold statement about "lesser quality" I own rubber b straps and would not consider them lesser quality. Have you worn or own any? I think we'll have to see when the strap comes out.
Lew_greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 01:34 AM   #21
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew_greene View Post
Pretty bold statement about "lesser quality" I own rubber b straps and would not consider them lesser quality. Have you worn or own any? I think we'll have to see when the strap comes out.
Ive owned them. They are fine for watches without OEM options IE Rolex. The quality is fine, no issues there. They cost about as much as an AP strap so whats the point? Im really asking as i don't get it.

For example, if you can get a Rubber B blue strap or a AP blue strap and cost is about the same, why would you?
Old 5 December 2017, 02:21 AM   #22
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ive owned them. They are fine for watches without OEM options IE Rolex. The quality is fine, no issues there. They cost about as much as an AP strap so whats the point? Im really asking as i don't get it.

For example, if you can get a Rubber B blue strap or a AP blue strap and cost is about the same, why would you?
You're right tyler1980 that makes more sense if you had one choice. I guess the difference would be if they come out with alternative colors that AP doesn't make available. I also think that you might be confusing options for off shore, those can be found through AP but for the smaller 41mm or less royal oaks there is nothing.
Old 5 December 2017, 02:24 AM   #23
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerivers1961 View Post
You're right tyler1980 that makes more sense if you had one choice. I guess the difference would be if they come out with alternative colors that AP doesn't make available. I also think that you might be confusing options for off shore, those can be found through AP but for the smaller 41mm or less royal oaks there is nothing.
they make that same blue strap in OP's pic for the ROC which i assume also fits the 15400.

They do make others too. Not as many of course. There is a member here who got a blue rubber AP strap for his RG ROC.
Old 5 December 2017, 03:11 AM   #24
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I Guess a lot will depend on the hardware, conversion kit, plots, etc.

The price of an OEM AP Strap is around the same price, but after you get the clasp, pins and plots you're looking at closer to $1200. Very different from the $200-300 rubber B offerings.

The other aspect is simple click and ship e-commerce. To order the rubber strap from AP you might have to take pictures of your watch, front and back, take pictures of the warranty booklet, prove ownership of the watch, order over an email exchange, etc. A regular company makes it much easier and less time consuming to simply place the order and have the product appear at your door a few days later.

btw, I tend to agree with you. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just discussing both sides.
Old 5 December 2017, 03:22 AM   #25
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Unless they've changed they are indeed of "lesser quality". I had two Rubber B straps bought new for my Rolex DSSD a few years ago. Both initially were nice, of fairly stiff but suitably supple rubber with matte surface. However after three months or so the rubber stiffened and, more importantly, took on an unpleasant shine. More fool me for buying a second, I guess, and wasting yet more money.

I complained to RB but they weren't interested. A total waste of about £440 in all, but perhaps they've improved now...
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 03:35 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

The price of an OEM AP Strap is around the same price, but after you get the clasp, pins and plots you're looking at closer to $1200. Very different from the $200-300 rubber B offerings.

The other aspect is simple click and ship e-commerce. To order the rubber strap from AP you might have to take pictures of your watch, front and back, take pictures of the warranty booklet, prove ownership of the watch, order over an email exchange, etc. A regular company makes it much easier and less time consuming to simply place the order and have the product appear at your door a few days later.

btw, I tend to agree with you. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just discussing both sides.
I ordered my GP strap by just giving my serial number over the phone. Shouldn't need all the rest of it.

Like with my red GP I like two colours on my straps so that would interest me, such as the green line on the black strap for the LVc.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 03:45 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

now you are into 3rd party hardware which i would really stay away from. But yes, i see the point if you have to convert the plots from bracelet to strap.

I was thinking more along the lines of a RG ROC as in your pic which is already on a leather strap from AP and getting a rubber one instead and not seeing the value of Rubber B vs AP rubber.
Old 5 December 2017, 04:01 AM   #28
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

Really enjoying this thread guys!
Old 6 December 2017, 10:29 AM   #29
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
now you are into 3rd party hardware which i would really stay away from. But yes, i see the point if you have to convert the plots from bracelet to strap.

I was thinking more along the lines of a RG ROC as in your pic which is already on a leather strap from AP and getting a rubber one instead and not seeing the value of Rubber B vs AP rubber.
That makes sense.

I suppose there's a lot of questions to be answered. I guess we'll find out more about the product in a few weeks.

Old 6 December 2017, 12:32 PM   #30
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Not bold at all. I have owned several and they are very disappointing to me.

Specifically they are comparatively stiff, bulky and equipped with inferior buckles

Have you owned an AP with stock rubber? Or even a panerai for that matter both are superior imho, And my tudor would also win in a comparison... so if there are no possible stock options and the rb fits well, which has not been the case specifically in a 14060... then yes they are a great choice, and the same goes for Everest.

And yes "lesser quality" is my firm opinion.