The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 January 2018, 04:02 AM   #1
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
So you own a Daytona

Given the popularity of the Rolex Daytona, I’m curious as to how you came about owning this watch. For example: were you on an AD’s waiting list for this watch? Did you have a customer relationship with the AD? How long did you have to wait until you were able to purchase the watch given that the AD did not have one in stock? Did you purchase the watch from a gray market at premium price? Was this your first Rolex watch?

Thank you, in advance, for your input. I’m on a waiting list at my local AD and have purchased four Rolex watches and a Breitling watch from this AD in the past two years. I’ve been on their waiting list since last July.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 04:21 AM   #2
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

So you own a Daytona

Multiple AD’s waiting list (5).

I did have a purchase history with the AD that came through for me.

Offered a black dial at 1 year wait. Declined. Purchased white dial after 1.5 year wait.

AD. MSRP no tax. (Shipped out of state).

Not my 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 04:22 AM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaMike View Post
Given the popularity of the Rolex Daytona, I’m curious as to how you came about owning this watch. For example: were you on an AD’s waiting list for this watch? Did you have a customer relationship with the AD? How long did you have to wait until you were able to purchase the watch given that the AD did not have one in stock? Did you purchase the watch from a gray market at premium price? Was this your first Rolex watch?

Thank you, in advance, for your input. I’m on a waiting list at my local AD and have purchased four Rolex watches and a Breitling watch from this AD in the past two years. I’ve been on their waiting list since last July.
I walked into my AD, asked if they had a SS white dial Daytona, they said yes, I bought it.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 04:30 AM   #4
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Got the first one (116500) through the door from my AD that I've done business with for many years, ~2 months following release...it's the only watch I have ever purchased at full retail, and not my first.

The 116520 - many years ago - they just had in 'the safe' lol. Always love when I hear that....
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 04:33 AM   #5
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
My AD called me and told me their first one came in and asked me if I wanted it. I said yes and went down and bought it.
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 04:45 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
My AD closed his list the day after it was announced. I called a couple of days later, wasn't a great priority for me, and after the salesperson initially told me this he then put me thru to the manager who said he would add me to the list but warned that I was behind a few big hitters and it would be quite a while. He left six months later so God knows about the list now, I've never asked again.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 04:49 AM   #7
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I paid a premium for one (116500), fair discount for the other (116519).

But safe to assume, we're talking about Steel daytonas.

Here's my take. There's no right or wrong. If you are VIP at an AD and hit the top of the list, incredible. If you're not a VIP and happen to get lucky, incredible.

For me, I've enjoyed years of discounts via trusted sellers (mostly Takuya). The premium I paid for my Daytona, was easily covered by 1 discounted purchase I'd made in the past. That said, Takuya still hooked me up pretty good on my 116500, but I paid a premium alright.

I decided to get a daytona and a day later I had it. I've been enjoying my 116500 for almost a year now while I know others patiently wait for who knows how long. Many who have spent A LOT of money at ADs still wait.

Anyhow, just my 2.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 05:26 AM   #8
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
A couple months back I posted a WTB thread on this forum and received an email from a member who lives close to me. He had just bought a BNIB 116500 from a friend for a slight premium and I, in turn, bought it for a slight premium from him.

Similar to Chad, I have always bought from TRF sellers and do not have a relationship with any particular AD. I'm not a big spender and did not want to wait years.

I'm thrilled with how the whole thing turned out, especially as I could sell the watch today and still make money on the deal. But this one is a keeper!
Old 18 January 2018, 05:29 AM   #9
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Dad purchased it NIB after purchasing several other pieces from the AD. Even after getting the "green light" you're in the club that is allowed to be on the list it took another 9 months and it had to be paid for up front. Mind you this was like circa 2010-2011. My Dad passed in 2016 and I now wear it in his honor.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 05:29 AM   #10
BristolCavendish
Banned

Curious. While the Daytona is a terrific-looking watch, how many owners/wearers actually use the tachymeter/stopwatch function on a regular (or semi-regular) basis?
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 05:33 AM   #11
Clay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Curious. While the Daytona is a terrific-looking watch, how many owners/wearers actually use the tachymeter/stopwatch function on a regular (or semi-regular) basis?
One of my all time favorites was my White Dial Zenith Daytona...

I sold it in the end as I had trouble reading the dial in some light and NEVER used any of the features...

But it was a stunning watch all the same...
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 05:40 AM   #12
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:
Good point! How many use their subs/sea dwellers for diving let along swimming ? I play with the pushers on my daytona from time to time (mostly find myself unscrewing and screwing them in, my kids play with the bezels (while on) my subs/sea dwellers and yes I take my watches diving...I even took my non dive watch 16710 diving with me last September in Hawaii.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 05:48 AM   #13
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
My AD called me and told me their first one came in and asked me if I wanted it. I said yes and went down and bought it.
Maybe someday I can attain this kind of VIP'ness.

Prior relationship with the AD (bought a watch for my wife), put my name on the list morning of Basel....got the watch in July 2016. For once I couldn't wait to get back to the states from Japan when I got the call!
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 06:43 AM   #14
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I contacted my AD the day it was announced. I was on the list for black or white dial. I received the watch almost a year later (black dial) and I paid retail. I like the watch so much that I asked him to put me on the list for the white dial.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 08:20 AM   #15
Kevan
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one on my arm.
Having bought a number of watches from my local AD I continually stated that I would like a white face SS Daytona. Out of the blue, July 2015 I received a call from said AD stating that they had a white face SS and asked if I wanted it. Yes was the reply.

I was invited to the launch of the new ceramic and stated then that I would like a white faced SS Ceramic. Time passed and I continued to remind them of my request. July 2017 the call came to say it was coming in that week. They were unsure of the colour, but luckily it was white. In the car, credit card produced and it was mine. Still in its coffin. I was happy bunny.

Christmas morning 2017, a few weeks ago, the SS passed to my son. I really enjoyed giving that watch away, just for the look on his face.

My Daytona story.
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 09:09 AM   #16
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Called my local AD within a few minutes of it being announced. They assured me I was the first person to call and as such I'd get the first through the door.

They were good to their word. Same happened with the Sea Dweller 116600 when that launched.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 09:10 AM   #17
Juantxo
Banned

I have a personal relationship with my AD and get the watches I want if/when they have them, Daytona or any other.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 09:19 AM   #18
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

I got mine from my AD after waiting for over a year. I’m not a big fish for this N.Y. metro AD as I only bought four modestly priced watches from them over four years, maybe $20k ish. I stopped by at least once a month and swapped a lot of emails so the AD either took a shine to me or couldn’t stand the sight of me. Either way they hooked me up. I know they had much bigger spenders ahead of me.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 10:00 AM   #19
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I was able to get mine last August after only waiting 2-3 weeks. Maybe it was luck maybe not who knows. I had just recently before that bought a Patek. Asked for the Daytona and they delivered. I suppose they wanted to build a relationship. It worked as I’ve bought 3 other watches from them since. I’m still on the list with them for a black Daytona. It’s been a little longer lol.

Old 18 January 2018, 10:07 AM   #20
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Only when I am playing with it... just love the look of it. Waiting on skydweller now.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 10:27 AM   #21
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Only about 20 times a year now while an official at the track just for the endurance races. Only used the chrono for overall race time. Never used the tachy since Road Racing doesn’t have lap times under 1 minute.

I use an App for tracking the shorter sprint races since data is more important than raw times. That’s an area worth Rolex’s investigation - it was always hard to track 2 teams with a Daytona.

As a driver I actually used the chrono less.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 10:29 AM   #22
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
I wanted one for my 40th birthday, but didn’t know which color. My AD got both in and I preferred white.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 10:46 AM   #23
JoeG74536
"TRF" Member

Within a 15 month time frame I purchased 3 PM pieces from my AD. Needless to say I didn’t have to wait long when I inquired about a DaytonaC.
JoeG74536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 10:49 AM   #24
J Scott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
On December 23, 2017-I asked one of my ADs (where I've made Rolex purchases-plural) to give me a call when he receives one with a black dial. He sent me a text today to let me know it arrived. I'm scheduled to collect it tomorrow. :)

Best,

Scott
J Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 11:29 AM   #25
rallyx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Holly's Lady DJ
Quote:
I used my 116520 to time the contractions interval when me missus was in labour.
rallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 11:53 AM   #26
BLM2
"TRF" Member

First Daytona was like today. Long waiting lists. Buy a platium DD and we will consider you. I ended going the grey market route. List price was $6,000. I paid $9,000. In four years the list price climbed to $9,000. I look at it that I paid list price and got to wear the watch for four years. May not be logical but that is how I rationalized it.
Lee
BLM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 11:59 AM   #27
JUSTIFIED
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Daytona
In April 2016, I went to AD wanting a DSSD. I looked at it (black dial) and then he brought out a Daytona 116520. Before then, I didn't care much for the Daytona, but seeing one in person changed my mind. Recently went back and bought a 116515LN. Love them both.

Still craving a DSSD blue, however.
Old 18 January 2018, 12:30 PM   #28
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Trial & Error...

Just look at all the Rolex watches I went thru to get here...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 12:51 PM   #29
Seanken
Banned

I regularly, at east every other day, use my subc to time some critical event like cooking an egg. Seriously.
Seanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 12:55 PM   #30
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Do you mean other than just playing with the chrono function?
Very, VERY....rarely....
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote