The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 October 2020, 11:22 PM   #61
Jutch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
I’m sorry OP that you’re having to go through this. Something as simple as a strap sizing causing such a big headache. To be honest, this was my fear when you reported back that they were going to polish the affected area. Are you sure it was done officially by Patek or did they just do it in the back of the AD? Pretty quick turnaround if by Patek. Do you mind posting a couple more photos that are in more focus of the lugs at 12 o’clock? The current photos are a bit out of focus so I’m having trouble discerning the severity.

I had the same exact problem with a brand new Rolex with OF that was dinged by the official RSC. They polished it and overall it was okay, but not for a WIS. They eventually replaced the entire mid-case for after a six month wait.

Is that any better? It’s quite hard to capture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:23 PM   #62
Jutch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
You are in London. Why not go to the PP salon in New Bond Street and ask for an opinion?

If I were you and had more hair to pull out I would be bald!

I’ve moved out of London recently.

Old 22 October 2020, 11:25 PM   #63
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Geepers creepers ... what a pain in the arse. Now what?

Since you bought gray, do you feel Patek AD / service center will provide you with any other options here?

Truly sorry to hear about this.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:28 PM   #64
Jutch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Geepers creepers ... what a pain in the arse. Now what?

Since you bought gray, do you feel Patek AD / service center will provide you with any other options here?

Truly sorry to hear about this.

I’m not sure what else they could do really

Old 22 October 2020, 11:35 PM   #65
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jutch View Post
I’m not sure what else they could do really

I wonder is laser welding could be used ro recreate the same lug profile?

Its not terrible, but it would bother me nonetheless

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:40 PM   #66
Jutch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I wonder is laser welding could be used ro recreate the same lug profile?

Its not terrible, but it would bother me nonetheless

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I think it’s best to accept it for what it is now. I’ll have to stomach what effect is may have on value if I ever decide to part with it.

It’s not as bad as the photos may make it appear, it’s just lost some of the sharpness. Looks fine from the front etc.

Old 22 October 2020, 11:43 PM   #67
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

If they change the middle case you need to check the case serial number is not changed as this is on the papers. I believe the case number is on the case back, but I did see a picture posted here where the serial was also stamped into the top of the middle case as well.

If it was mine i'd be very unhappy, but would live with it. I would not want the original middle case replaced with a "service case" as it may impact the future value of the watch., but thats just me.

Hope you get it sorted.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:51 PM   #68
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:

Is that any better? It’s quite hard to capture.

Yes, much better, thank you.

I can definitely see what you’re referring to now. The outer chamfer on that 12 o’clock left lug is pretty much gone and rounded. I still question if Patek actually polished this or if it was done in house at the AD. I’m afraid you don’t have many options. The best would be as you said if you can stomach it and enjoy the watch moving forward.

Second would be to go back to the AD and speak with management. Be honest and let them know you are aware mistakes happen, but this will affect your enjoyment of the watch long term, etc. Politely decline any further polishing as it will simply increase the severity of that one lug. Push for a new case and inquire if PP can match the existing serial. (In my situation, Rolex made a new case with matching original serial).

Lastly, if the case replacement is out of the question you can try to find a independent service center who has experience laser welding and cutting. For example here in the states we have Rolliworks who has restored rounded cases with great success. Worst case, sell the watch to the gray market and take the hit with a replacement.

Keep us posted with whatever route you choose! Again, I’m sorry you have to deal with this. It’s really a lovely timepiece and I hope this doesn’t spoil the PP ownership for you.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:58 PM   #69
Jutch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
Yes, much better, thank you.

I can definitely see what you’re referring to now. The outer chamfer on that 12 o’clock left lug is pretty much gone and rounded. I’m afraid you don’t have many options. The best would be as you said if you can stomach it and enjoy the watch moving forward.

Second would be to go back to the AD and speak with management. Be honest and let them know you are aware mistakes happen, but this will affect your enjoyment of the watch long term, etc. Politely decline any further polishing as it will simply increase the severity of that one lug. Push for a new case and inquire if PP can make the existing serial. (In my situation, Rolex made a new case with matching original serial).

Lastly, if the case replacement is out of the question you can try to find a independent service center who has experience laser welding and cutting. For example here in the states we have Rolliworks who has restored rounded cases with great success. Worst case, sell the watch to the gray market and take the hit with a replacement.

Keep us posted with whatever route you choose! Again, I’m sorry you have to deal with this. It’s really a lovely timepiece and I hope you can enjoy it long into the future.

That’s about right. There is some chamfer, but it’s nowhere near as noticeable and is difficult to photograph. From the front it’s ok; it’s from the side where you can see the difference (if you know what you’re looking for).

I’ll most likely leave it as it is and try not to worry about it. Do you it will have much of an impact on value?

Old 23 October 2020, 12:03 AM   #70
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
That’s about right. There is some chamfer, but it’s nowhere near as noticeable and is difficult to photograph. From the front it’s ok; it’s from the side where you can see the difference (if you know what you’re looking for).

I’ll most likely leave it as it is and try not to worry about it. Do you it will have much of an impact on value?

There will certainly be an impact to resale value, but I can’t give you an exact amount. You could try to get some quotes from a couple of grays and see for curiosity sake.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 12:25 AM   #71
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

honestly i’d be so disappointed about it being polished that i would of either left the chip and leave it unpolished. from a resale point of view i wouldn’t buy a polished watch.
Old 23 October 2020, 12:30 AM   #72
Jutch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post
honestly i’d be so disappointed about it being polished that i would of either left the chip and leave it unpolished. from a resale point of view i wouldn’t buy a polished watch.

I know. Part of me wishes I left it alone and the other part of me knows that those scratches would have bugged me. Either way, I’d have taken a hit if I wanted to sell it.

Old 23 October 2020, 01:17 AM   #73
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know. Part of me wishes I left it alone and the other part of me knows that those scratches would have bugged me. Either way, I’d have taken a hit if I wanted to sell it.

Don't beat yourself over it buddy. It's easy for anyone to chime in and say "I would have left it as is", but it wasn't your fault the first time, you'd not have gone in if you knew that would be the outcome, nor would you have polished it if you knew this was the outcome.

It sucks that they did a worse job than most polishers would do, but as you've said, enjoy it the watch, wear the heck out of it and scuff it up some more!
One day when she's due for a service, PP should find a way to sort it out for you.
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 01:33 AM   #74
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Of course, that’s a natural regret - but now it’s at least polished out (poorly, as you noted).

Now here’s the thing, nobody will notice except you and maybe some future owner (buyer) with good vision or a loupe. If this will be a lifetime watch, then nobody else but you.

Over the next few years there will be swirls, scratches and dings. When it comes time for a full overhaul you can have the case restored to showroom quality. For now you can enjoy the watch for what it is - a great PP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 01:47 AM   #75
eton97
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD, 1675, 5167a
Just wait until you ding the bezel. Then you won’t even think about the lugs. I promise you.
eton97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 01:56 AM   #76
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
I think it’s best to accept it for what it is now. I’ll have to stomach what effect is may have on value if I ever decide to part with it.

It’s not as bad as the photos may make it appear, it’s just lost some of the sharpness. Looks fine from the front etc.

I think this is the right move - wear and enjoy it - it's a gorgeous piece. Many more dings and scratches to come - character.
Old 23 October 2020, 02:41 AM   #77
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by eton97 View Post
Just wait until you ding the bezel. Then you won’t even think about the lugs. I promise you.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 02:42 AM   #78
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:

looks great ,
love the fresh bezel

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote