The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 October 2020, 07:16 PM   #1
tough
"TRF" Member

Trade a 5167/1A for a 5167A? Hear me out on why!

Greetings all.

I know it sounds silly, but hear me out!
I have been fortunate to have bought all of my watches at a much much better time. All but my 5167/1A.

Fast forward to months of trying to find one at a decent price, I have had to pay a significant amount more for waiting a few months as prices kept climbing.
No regrets nevertheless, no-one knew what was coming
I knew it would be impossible to get one at retail for me, and I knew I really wanted to add one to my collection. I intend to wear it as a daily beater, and enjoy the heck out of it.
I also genuinely feel that in this craze of steel sports models, the aqua actually lags behind in price if anything, and is probably the ultimate sports watch for me, and so I justified grey market and don't regret it.
I figure since I was paying the premium anyway, I bought the best I could get. 2020 with pretty much no wear, with a bracelet, buckle, and strap.

I'm debating whether I should trade it for say a same, or slightly older for a decent price difference.
That will do nothing but put me at a lower "premium" at grey, and make me feel a little less guilty for beating up the watch as a daily (which I fully intend to do).

I hope I don't get bashed. My motive is not to make money, but rather reduce my premium if possible, as I did pay high 30s.
No I don't regret buying it, I love the ref, but I was thinking of exploring this option to fulfill the side of me that thinks I am a fool for going grey (something I have not done before).

Just looking for opinions any nothing more. I hope some of you can see where I am coming from.
tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 07:37 PM   #2
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
I think the dealer "spread" will erode any savings from trading "down" to a more used strap version, but depends on what your trusted seller can do for you? If you can walk out with extra money in your pocket and still have a 5167A (that you are less apprehensive to use as a daily) in your collection, then why not?

Personally I do like the idea of a watch that has a few scratches and dings already, so I don't get paranoid when wearing it. But then again, part of me do prefer those scratches to have been made by me and thus being part of my history with the watch.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 07:54 PM   #3
tough
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
I think the dealer "spread" will erode any savings from trading "down" to a more used strap version, but depends on what you trusted seller can do for you? If you can walk out with extra money in your pocket and still have a 5167A (that you are less apprehensive to use a a daily) in your collection, then why not?

Personally I do like the idea of a watch that has a few scratches and dings already, so I don't get paranoid when wearing it. But then again, part of me do prefer those scratches to have been made by me and thus being part of my history with the watch.
Fair.
Thanks for understanding where I am coming from.

My version which I have been enjoying already has very very very little to no wear. It is extremely crisp, and I will undoubtably scuff it up anyway. I don't mind getting an already mildly scuffed up but unpolished one with a $ difference.
I figure the better way to go about it perhaps is to post a "WTT" post.
There is always a chance someone that wants to buy a 3-4K bracelet (not sure what they cost exactly) would likely make the full trade for my watch instead of buying a bracelet. It could just potentially be a win/win sort of thing.
Old 17 October 2020, 08:35 PM   #4
ts3
"TRF" Member

Disregarding any dealer spread you'd gain 5k at best I think. More likely you might get back 5 or 10% unless you get a totally beat up or over polished piece. On the downside you'd lose the new watch and the remaining Patek warranty. Bad idea IMO.

Why don't you just try to sell the bracelet if you don't want that anymore?
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 09:39 PM   #5
tough
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Disregarding any dealer spread you'd gain 5k at best I think. More likely you might get back 5 or 10% unless you get a totally beat up or over polished piece. On the downside you'd lose the new watch and the remaining Patek warranty. Bad idea IMO.

Why don't you just try to sell the bracelet if you don't want that anymore?
I suppose it is also an option.
I just think it may be best to keep the option of being able to sell the watch as it was intended should the day ever come. Unlikely as it may be as I love the aqua, but perhaps in 5 years or 10 years I may need to "upgrade", or even downgrade but have to sell for any other reason.
As a 5167/1A is a bracelet model, I think I'd rather switch it for a strap only model or keep it as is. I definitely have no use for the bracelet though.
Old 17 October 2020, 09:44 PM   #6
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Try trading it, I can't wait to hear how this turns out.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 09:49 PM   #7
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Unless you do a private trade , I don’t think you will make out that positive and therefore not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 10:02 PM   #8
tough
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Try trading it, I can't wait to hear how this turns out.
Hehe. Not sure if genuine or sarcastic
I will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Unless you do a private trade , I don’t think you will make out that positive and therefore not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I see. Hence my asking here if its even worthy of considering.
Perhaps it just isn't worth it. Enjoy a brand new watch, scuff it up, and don't look back.
I enjoy the aqua alot more than I do the Nautilus for the record. It totally makes sense that the prices have and are climbing rapidly, though I wish I was sooner, I don't regret it.
Old 17 October 2020, 10:32 PM   #9
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

i mean if you want to do it then do it. not sure how you’ll make anymore $ back though. i like 5167a a lot and will be trying to get that in a few months gray. never liked the bracelet version. what made you decided to get that over the rubber strap?
Old 17 October 2020, 10:46 PM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Trading involving greys is pretty harsh right now, they are looking to maximise on this current market, so take heed.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 10:55 PM   #11
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
I would keep the one you have if for no other reason than it’s ago. If you sell yours and buy one for less you always run the risk of it needing to be serviced in shorter order, in which case much of what you saved by trading down will just go back to patek.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2020, 11:13 PM   #12
tough
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post
i mean if you want to do it then do it. not sure how you’ll make anymore $ back though. i like 5167a a lot and will be trying to get that in a few months gray. never liked the bracelet version. what made you decided to get that over the rubber strap?
Well considering a 2020 version on rubber strap would cost me later 30s, I pulled the trigger when one came around with bracelet and a new clasp+rubber strap. Just felt like better money spent since I was going grey and paying a premium anyway. Hope that makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Trading involving greys is pretty harsh right now, they are looking to maximise on this current market, so take heed.
Thank you. I appreciate the advice given and glad I made the post I was hesitant to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfortino View Post
I would keep the one you have if for no other reason than it’s ago. If you sell yours and buy one for less you always run the risk of it needing to be serviced in shorter order, in which case much of what you saved by trading down will just go back to patek.
Old 17 October 2020, 11:56 PM   #13
liborguy
"TRF" Member

you can have patek take off the bracelet and put on the rubber strap, on some of the 5167/1a, but not all of them, only some years i believe ?
liborguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2020, 02:16 AM   #14
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Seems like a lot of work for not much benefit. I’d just come to grips with what you have and what you paid. Who cares about a “basis” if you’re never selling it anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 October 2020, 02:17 AM   #15
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by liborguy View Post
you can have patek take off the bracelet and put on the rubber strap, on some of the 5167/1a, but not all of them, only some years i believe ?

I’ve heard this as well. Newer models have no problem. I bought on a strap and my AD ordered me a bracelet. wasn’t cheap. But fits perfect.

Old 18 October 2020, 01:35 PM   #16
yoast
"TRF" Member

Get yourself on a list with an out of town AD and wait for the call. Then sell the one you have now and get a new one for less than half the price you paid now.
Old 18 October 2020, 04:23 PM   #17
tough
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I’ve heard this as well. Newer models have no problem. I bought on a strap and my AD ordered me a bracelet. wasn’t cheap. But fits perfect.

I did not realize that some models could not fit with the strap and buckle if you bought them separately.
I don't see why not though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
Get yourself on a list with an out of town AD and wait for the call. Then sell the one you have now and get a new one for less than half the price you paid now.
Its really near impossible to get one at retail for a first PP at this time in a new AD.
Also, the list price for a 5167 on a bracelet is already now $25K, so roughly $27K with tax. The buckle costs an addition $1K.
I didn't pay anywhere close to double thats for sure.
Old 19 October 2020, 04:11 AM   #18
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
What you have is like money in the bank....

If you need the money then the right thing to do is trade and cash out....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 08:52 AM   #19
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I’m afraid you are gonna get taken to the cleaners when you trade your present one for the other. The dealer ain’t gonna pay you a good price for yours and he ain’t gonna give you a discount for the stock he has...
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 11:08 AM   #20
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
Danger, Will Robinson...
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote