The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 April 2008, 08:40 AM   #1
ts1
"TRF" Member

Possible problem with new GMT II

Hello,

I bought my Pepsi GMT II this last Mon. The time was initially set at the store. When I looked down at the time this afternoon, I noticed that the watch was an hour and a half behind. I reset the time and wound the watch and so far it is correct. However, it has only been 2 hrs since resetting. Should I let the AD know what is going on now or should I give it 24 hrs to see if the watch falls behind again?
Also, is there supposed to be a space between the crown and the case when the crown is fully locked down? I did not expect this with a new Rolex.
ts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 09:21 AM   #2
ts1
"TRF" Member

Sorry,
I accidentally put this in the wrong section. Could the Mod please move this to the correct location.

ts1
Old 25 April 2008, 09:38 AM   #3
applebook
"TRF" Member

Since you bought it from an AD, you should not worry. Just let it settle in for a few days, although losing over an hour in a day is alarming.
Old 25 April 2008, 10:24 AM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

I guess a couple things come to mind. Is it possible the time was set wrong to begin with or perhaps not properly wound and ran down?
I think you're doing the right thing by giving it a full wind and checking. If it falls behind again take it back.

I'm not sure what you mean by a space. I've seen a bit of variance, but it should be pretty close to flush.

Not the best shot for this, but here's mine,

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 10:58 AM   #5
ts1
"TRF" Member

Mike,

Great pic. Yes that is the gap I am talking about. Mine is the same. On my TAG, the crown goes flush with the case so I got a little freaked out. I guess I am having the typical growing pains of a Rolex Newb. I remember the time being set correctly in the shop but the AD did not wind it. I did wind it 30 times today and reset the time. I did call the AD and she said that if the watch is left idle for 2 days that it would probably stop. Does this sound right? Thanks for your help.
Old 25 April 2008, 11:03 AM   #6
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
Power reserve is about 40 hrs. IOW, fully wound and left static, it will run down in about 40 hrs. You did the right thing. Fully wind it and wear normally. Many stoppages are just from not giving the watch a good wind before relying on wrist motion only to keep it wound. Yours probably stopped without your noticing. Keep your eye on it for a couple days and see how it goes...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 02:19 PM   #7
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
If your watch sits for a period of time and stops....manually wind it ( about 40 clicks) before you rely on your wrist to help with the winding. I am thinking that you never wound the crown itself...and it may not have had enough juice to keep going.

let us know how things work out.
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)
pwrslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 06:51 PM   #8
mike
"TRF" Member

Yep, Power Reserve is about 40-44 hrs. or so. Rolex recommends 40 to 50 turns to wind. You can't overwind because of the "clutch" inside.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 07:37 PM   #9
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
if that problem persists, do not wait..take the watch to the AD, let them look at it, and if a real problem, to Rolex USA.
best,
dan
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2008, 11:14 PM   #10
sherwin
"TRF" Member

keep your eye out on it. if problems persist see your local AD.
Old 25 April 2008, 11:35 PM   #11
ts1
"TRF" Member

So far, the watch is running fine and I believe that not not winding it initially was the issue. If it is behind by tomorrow, will definitely take it to the AD. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 26 April 2008, 04:55 AM   #12
jasper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 / speedy pro
With regards the gap...my 16750 has a gap as well, but to my way of thinking that's a good thing. There's an o-ring in the crown which has to seat against the stem. If you screw the crown down and it bottoms out on the case then there's a chance that the o-ring in the crown isn't seating against the stem. In the worst case you watch will not be waterproof if the crown is tight against the case.

I'll wager the crown will eventually come closer to the case as that o-ring wears.

I think you have the mystery of the stopped watch figured out - the AD didn't wind it before setting the time.
Seiko 6309 The perfect watch for a trip to Mexico.
jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2008, 03:51 AM   #13
ts1
"TRF" Member

The watch has been running well with no issues. This was my first foray into the automatic watch world so I had a lot to learn. Been reading a lot here and feel more informed daily.

I bought a Wolf winder yesterday which rotates bi-directionally. I really like it. I read here that someone had their watch fall out of the winder and onto the floor. So, just in case, I put a towel infront of the winder and also noticed that my watch too had fallen out but just onto the soft towel. I used the small holder rather than the larger one. Switching out to the larger one solved that problem.

One more question, if using a watch winder, is it still necessary from time to time to also manually wind it with the crown to keep the mechanism running smoothly?
Old 28 April 2008, 04:09 AM   #14
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
No, the winder should take care of things for you. Having worn automatic movements for many years now, you should be able to wear the watch daily, remove while sleeping and it should never stop on you. The winder is good for those who wear multiple watches where days may expire between wearings. If a watch has multiple complications, it's also good because re-setting everything can be troublesome. If your winder is programmable, set it for bi-directional and 650 turns per day or more.

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2008, 06:14 AM   #15
Steven79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
congrats! enjoy your new gmt!
Steven79 is offline   Reply With Quote