The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 24 August 2017, 10:20 PM   #1
BlackBay
"TRF" Member

Damaged my 16610 case (pics)

Friends,

Once every 6 months I clean the bezel assembly from my 16610 so it will turn smooth and crispy again. One takes a thin plastic spatula and just pop off the bezel. Just put some tape to the case to prevent scratches. Unfortunately I felt too confident and thought I can do it with a kitchen knife instead. Resulting in damaging the case even though I used tape.

It's still in absolute mint condition (2010) so this small dent bugs the shit out of me. Yet, I asked the Rolex Boutique not too long ago to check the overal health of the watch and if it needs any service. The watchmaker told me I can postpone a first service easily with another 2-3 years.

As you can see, the damage covers almost the whole shiny transition part on the left lug/shoulder. It's only obvious when the light hits the case in a certain way.

It does look a bit worse in the pictures than to the naked eye, but I'd like to know the following:

- Would RSC be able to buff out the dent without rounding up the shoulders too much?
- Does this mean that if they can, they need to remove the same amount of material from the healthy shoulders to make it evenly?
- I've read that the best EU case doctors are in RSC Koln or Antwerp. Is this true?
- Can you actually meet with the watch smith in person to tell him your wishes?
- Can one confirm that Rolex can swap the bezel at reasonable price? I read once RSC charges only $75-100 for a bezel swap (not the insert).

Thank you all
BlackBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 10:32 PM   #2
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

If you can live with it I would just wait till you send it in for service. That being said they can take that out pretty easily without rounding it off to much.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
EvEr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 10:32 PM   #3
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Double post

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
EvEr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 11:30 PM   #4
Bigblu10
Banned

Totally unnecessary to pop the bezel off every 6 months to clean the inner workings unless there is a serious issue. Submerging the watch in warm soapy water and rotating the bezel would usually take care of anything stuck inside. I never removed my Sub bezel for any reason as there was no need to.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 11:43 PM   #5
BlackBay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Totally unnecessary to pop the bezel off every 6 months to clean the inner workings unless there is a serious issue. Submerging the watch in warm soapy water and rotating the bezel would usually take care of anything stuck inside. I never removed my Sub bezel for any reason as there was no need to.

I agree.. But after a few days at the beach and the salt water, it got a bit stuck
Old 25 August 2017, 12:15 AM   #6
BlackBay
"TRF" Member

Damaged my 16610 case (pics)

What about laser welding? Will this fix it?
Old 25 August 2017, 03:31 AM   #7
steviebeat
"TRF" Member

That is a very easy dink to refub out. No need to worry about it.
steviebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 03:44 AM   #8
BlackBay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviebeat View Post
That is a very easy dink to refub out. No need to worry about it.

Thank you bro..
Old 25 August 2017, 05:59 AM   #9
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
That's nothing, at servicing, it will come back indiscernible.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 09:33 AM   #10
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
FYI, my watchmaker cleans my bezel washer/ring and lubricates it with a silicon-based lubricant...that keeps it working perfectly for a couple years, when he does it again after my regularly scheduled pressure checks.

That includes wearing it at the beach and in saltwater.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 11:46 AM   #11
youngp5
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C 116710LN
Ouch! Thought mine was bad..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
youngp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 04:24 PM   #12
MaxPowers
"TRF" Member

I've been to the the Rolex factories a few years ago for a repair course (watchmaker) and I saw their case restoration department, where they used a laser for repair. They added small amounts of steel to the case and later removed the excess material. The results were amazing. But I think those repairs were for special repairs only. I think the costs would be extremely high because it was done by hand.
The marks on your watches can easily be removed during service. I've done it many times. On both steel, gold, titanium (not Rolex of cause) and platinum. The only thing that should be taken into consideration about removal of scratches and dents, is that we remove a small amount of material every time. It would of cause take many years for it to be worn completely down, but in time, the watch will change appearance.
MaxPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 12:57 AM   #13
BlackBay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPowers View Post
I've been to the the Rolex factories a few years ago for a repair course (watchmaker) and I saw their case restoration department, where they used a laser for repair. They added small amounts of steel to the case and later removed the excess material. The results were amazing. But I think those repairs were for special repairs only. I think the costs would be extremely high because it was done by hand.
The marks on your watches can easily be removed during service. I've done it many times. On both steel, gold, titanium (not Rolex of cause) and platinum. The only thing that should be taken into consideration about removal of scratches and dents, is that we remove a small amount of material every time. It would of cause take many years for it to be worn completely down, but in time, the watch will change appearance.
Thanks. That's interesting. But would this mean it has already visible consequences for this specific time? I don't think I will dang up the watch more than once

@youngp5: I am no expert but it seems like yours is even a bit worse as there's a small chunk of material missing? Whereas mine is more evenly spread in length.
Old 26 August 2017, 05:53 AM   #14
BlackBay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If they will fix this dent, will they need to remove the same amount of material from the healthy shoulders to make it evenly? Do you know this?
Old 26 August 2017, 05:45 PM   #15
MaxPowers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBay View Post
Thanks. That's interesting. But would this mean it has already visible consequences for this specific time? I don't think I will dang up the watch more than once
Most watchmakers who are trained in Rolex service should be able to remove the marks without making visible changes. I have managed it almost every time. If I knew that I couldn't do the procedure without making permanent alterations in appearance, i would contact the customer before proceeding. But with each service, the case and bracelet is grinded, brushed and polished, so that each time there is removed a small amount of material. This is also the reason why we see that there are not many vintage watches in perfect condition. But don't get frightened by it. It will (properly) take YEARS before any great changes takes place, and it happens gradually, so you would properly not even notice the change.
The material removed, is done so evenly on each side of the case, ensuring a symmetric look of the watch. If the watchmaker would only polish the case on one side, it could give a visual difference. In any case, it would leave the rest of the watch with surface scratches, and that is not desirable. Not to the customer, nor to the watchmaker. ;)
Old 26 August 2017, 09:28 PM   #16
BlackBay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Most watchmakers who are trained in Rolex service should be able to remove the marks without making visible changes. I have managed it almost every time. If I knew that I couldn't do the procedure without making permanent alterations in appearance, i would contact the customer before proceeding. But with each service, the case and bracelet is grinded, brushed and polished, so that each time there is removed a small amount of material. This is also the reason why we see that there are not many vintage watches in perfect condition. But don't get frightened by it. It will (properly) take YEARS before any great changes takes place, and it happens gradually, so you would properly not even notice the change.
The material removed, is done so evenly on each side of the case, ensuring a symmetric look of the watch. If the watchmaker would only polish the case on one side, it could give a visual difference. In any case, it would leave the rest of the watch with surface scratches, and that is not desirable. Not to the customer, nor to the watchmaker. ;)
Thanks! You're a real professional It's great that we've people like you walking around on the forum. It guarantees the quality of the community
Old 26 August 2017, 11:03 PM   #17
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I have a dumb question: Are you sure you want to remove those scratches? Somehow a 16610 with scratches looks even more authentic, just like the scratched stainless steel of a diver's oxygen bottle equipment.
I once scratched my 16610 with a stone on a beach some 20 years ago. That day, the watch started to be mine.
Chrislec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 12:17 AM   #18
BlackBay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislec View Post
I have a dumb question: Are you sure you want to remove those scratches? Somehow a 16610 with scratches looks even more authentic, just like the scratched stainless steel of a diver's oxygen bottle equipment.
I once scratched my 16610 with a stone on a beach some 20 years ago. That day, the watch started to be mine.

I feel you. But I also did laser treatment on a scar on my shoulder to make it less visible. I that guy that wants to keep everything fresh and honestly.. I'd rather have peace with a scratch that caries a nice memory rather than some ugly dent I caused by stupidity
Old 27 August 2017, 12:59 AM   #19
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Best thing to do is to leave it for now and comes service time go to RSC Koln. These people really do an amazing job. I am a long time member on the German forum and never once read about a miss.
I would refrain from using any of the major jeweller chains in NL.
Old 29 August 2017, 06:14 AM   #20
MaxPowers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBay View Post
Thanks! You're a real professional It's great that we've people like you walking around on the forum. It guarantees the quality of the community
You are most welcome. ;)
Old 10 September 2017, 05:59 AM   #21
BlackBay
"TRF" Member

Does Rolex also refreshes the brush sides on top of the shoulder?
Old 23 November 2017, 11:42 AM   #22
RolexGMTgoldmen
"TRF" Member

Yes
RolexGMTgoldmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2017, 12:47 AM   #23
timelord
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
We both have OCD

Sorry for coming late to the party!!! I hope you have found some peace of mind . However, if my imput can put some light onto your """problem"", I see from the image you have posted, it is something that can easily be removed at your next servoce. If you cannot live with it, any professional watch case polisher can remove it without anyone noticing any real difference as it is not really very deep

You are like me !!!! Perfectionist in the fact that a small spot of stain on your huge white canvass may appear like a fully covered painting. That is because you know it is there!!I did the same with a scratch on my Presidential back brushed finish which bothered me for years until it slowly dissappeared from my skin slowly polishing it out until I could no longer see where it was originally.
Amongst collectors there is a fixation and obsession when the talk of a polished case versus a non polished case becomes almost a religeon. If you buy a new old stock vintage and this polishing bollocks bothers you, then just put it behind a glass cabinet and just stare at it. This will solve the problem until the next generation reassesses what to do with it. Watches that have been worn since new and never been polished do not exist, because wearing a watch slowly polishes it over time as it rubs against your sleeve and how the lugs move against the wrist It will not happen overnight but it will happen and depending on the wearing habits of the owner, different wear signes will appear with time. Also, note that in the old days, gold watches were hand polished from the factory and if you could get Dr. Who to take you back to the 1960's and see some of the DayDates new at your authorised dealer, you will find that they all showed differences in the lugs from each model. I have seen this!!!

It is a good idea to remove all salt residues from the watch by rinsing under clean ater, but remember that any seals in the watch will absorb some of the moisture through osmosis and salt water can still creep under the seals!!!! Pitting etc is statisitcal and it is a question of luck as well. I say -Enjoy your small investment and rest assured that it is not a problem for that small stain to be there
timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2017, 09:48 PM   #24
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Best thing to do is to leave it for now and comes service time go to RSC Koln. These people really do an amazing job. I am a long time member on the German forum and never once read about a miss.
I would refrain from using any of the major jeweller chains in NL.
Slechte ervaringen?
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2017, 01:00 AM   #25
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
never ever had to clean my rotating bezel soner than the regular 6-8years service intervals,overdone certain matters leads to such incidensts unfortunatelly

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 06:03 AM   #26
SPECTRUM001
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXPLORER 1
Hi - just seen this thread, and wanted to revisit (not that I have posted much on this forum !).

I just finally bought an Explorer 114270, having been looking for a while. I checked out quite a few, including a couple of 14270s. I kept finding they either had dial scratches, poor cases or badly stretched bracelets.

So the model I acquired is 2002 (sold in 2004), and came as a full set from a UK dealer. It is a cool version, with a pretty clean dial (a couple of hairlines under a loupe), good bracelet and nice case.

So here’s the thing - the boutique took the bracelet on and off when logging the serial number during the sale, and managed to scratch the case back and end link backs, and bizarrely, they happened to scribble some notes on a piece of paper that was placed over the 2004 Rolex paperwork - thereby leaving indentation over it !!!!

This is actually all fine, and I am sounding like a Moaning Minnie - as I absolutely love the watch.

I popped in to St James to have a link removed, and the technician pointed out the case damage to me (I hadn’t noticed it). He was quite scathing, although quite honestly I didn’t think too much of it. He confirmed it could be polished out at service, but did also say that the crisp clean angles on the top of the case (where the polished side meets the brushed lug) would be ‘softened’ by the lapping machine.

So finally (apologies), here is my question - can anyone confirm this is their experience ? I would quite like to take it to the RSC later this year for a service, get a clean bill of health, and have them get the case as fresh as possible - whence I would probably not polish again. I am just nervous they could damage the case permanently by over polishing...

I think I have read mixed reports..

As always, all advice welcome !

Thanks - Jeremy
SPECTRUM001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 08:15 PM   #27
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECTRUM001 View Post
Hi - just seen this thread, and wanted to revisit (not that I have posted much on this forum !).

I just finally bought an Explorer 114270, having been looking for a while. I checked out quite a few, including a couple of 14270s. I kept finding they either had dial scratches, poor cases or badly stretched bracelets.

So the model I acquired is 2002 (sold in 2004), and came as a full set from a UK dealer. It is a cool version, with a pretty clean dial (a couple of hairlines under a loupe), good bracelet and nice case.

So here’s the thing - the boutique took the bracelet on and off when logging the serial number during the sale, and managed to scratch the case back and end link backs, and bizarrely, they happened to scribble some notes on a piece of paper that was placed over the 2004 Rolex paperwork - thereby leaving indentation over it !!!!

This is actually all fine, and I am sounding like a Moaning Minnie - as I absolutely love the watch.

I popped in to St James to have a link removed, and the technician pointed out the case damage to me (I hadn’t noticed it). He was quite scathing, although quite honestly I didn’t think too much of it. He confirmed it could be polished out at service, but did also say that the crisp clean angles on the top of the case (where the polished side meets the brushed lug) would be ‘softened’ by the lapping machine.

So finally (apologies), here is my question - can anyone confirm this is their experience ? I would quite like to take it to the RSC later this year for a service, get a clean bill of health, and have them get the case as fresh as possible - whence I would probably not polish again. I am just nervous they could damage the case permanently by over polishing...

I think I have read mixed reports..

As always, all advice welcome !

Thanks - Jeremy
I have an RSC tech ,his work is magic but even he told me that once polished it won t be the same as factory finish ,lovely ,crispy,like new but a trained eye will notice it .There are a couple of options
-live with it
-let it polish the whole watch if properly done you may will like it
-just polish the backside.
BTW how big the scratch ,damage are you referring ?

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 12 January 2018, 05:16 AM   #28
SPECTRUM001
"TRF" Member

Hi George - well first of all, the case has definitely been previously polished, in fact the boutique confirmed they smartened it up.

So i don't know how "original" the current finish is. Rolex in St James confirmed they have never seen the watch before, and as it was originally purchased in the UK, I think it is safe to dsay that Rolex have never polished it.

That said, the edges are still pretty crisp - certainly better than other variants I recently viewed.

I wqas slightly disollusioned by the fact that the RSC tech actually told me it will lose some of its crispness - hence my question if this is really the case ?

I have read elsewhere that RSC do not give an option to discuss into how much they do, as it is a blanket service. David Duggan in Mayfair are an acredited service centre (with ha lapping machine), so perhaps it is an option to talk to them...

regarding the damage - it is just scratching on the back of the lugs, and chewing up on the back of the SEL. Only visible from underneath.

thanks for any help !!
Old 12 January 2018, 06:25 PM   #29
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECTRUM001 View Post
Hi George - well first of all, the case has definitely been previously polished, in fact the boutique confirmed they smartened it up.

So i don't know how "original" the current finish is. Rolex in St James confirmed they have never seen the watch before, and as it was originally purchased in the UK, I think it is safe to dsay that Rolex have never polished it.

That said, the edges are still pretty crisp - certainly better than other variants I recently viewed.

I wqas slightly disollusioned by the fact that the RSC tech actually told me it will lose some of its crispness - hence my question if this is really the case ?

I have read elsewhere that RSC do not give an option to discuss into how much they do, as it is a blanket service. David Duggan in Mayfair are an acredited service centre (with ha lapping machine), so perhaps it is an option to talk to them...

regarding the damage - it is just scratching on the back of the lugs, and chewing up on the back of the SEL. Only visible from underneath.

thanks for any help !!

Slight polish with capecod etc is different than with the machine idk what your dealer referring to ,I m sure you can find an indy in London(with solid references)who can fix the back scratch properly than you can leave tge movement service to the RSC w/o polishing.I feel you want to hear polishing possible w/o any ill effect but I m sorry to gain you need to loose at least in this particular case.You may can post a pic about the damage i or other members will judge if it worth to worry about.

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 12 January 2018, 11:35 PM   #30
SPECTRUM001
"TRF" Member

thanks for the help...

just heading off on travels, so will post a pic when back.