The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 20 April 2019, 12:28 PM   #1
Hogtown Fatty
"TRF" Member

Is the 1861 in every modern Speedmaster (including all limited editions)?

Pardon me if this is a silly question, but I'm just wondering if the 1861 is found in all modern Speedmaster models, including the limited editions? Do the limited edition models like the Tin Tin, Snoopy, Ultraman, etc. only feature aesthetic changes, while the movement remains the same? Also, what, if any, advantages does the 321 have over the 1861? I understand the former may be 'prettier' and desirable to collectors, but I'm seeking to understand if there's any objective advantage beyond that. I'm looking to get my first Speedy and trying to find out about these things. Have been thinking of getting the basic Speedy Pro hesalite, but am tempted by some of the limited editions... that said, don't see the value if only difference is aesthetic.
Hogtown Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 03:20 PM   #2
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Is the 1861 in every modern Speedmaster (including all limited editions)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtown Fatty View Post
Pardon me if this is a silly question, but I'm just wondering if the 1861 is found in all modern Speedmaster models, including the limited editions? Do the limited edition models like the Tin Tin, Snoopy, Ultraman, etc. only feature aesthetic changes, while the movement remains the same? Also, what, if any, advantages does the 321 have over the 1861? I understand the former may be 'prettier' and desirable to collectors, but I'm seeking to understand if there's any objective advantage beyond that. I'm looking to get my first Speedy and trying to find out about these things. Have been thinking of getting the basic Speedy Pro hesalite, but am tempted by some of the limited editions... that said, don't see the value if only difference is aesthetic.

The 1861 is the predominant movement inside the modern Speedmaster Professional (42mm Moonwatch) and non-Professional straight-cased variants (approx 38 to 40mm), with the prettier 1863 inside those with an exhibition case back. Up until a few months ago, if the limited edition Speedmaster is based on the Speedmaster Professional, then it will have either an 1861 or 1863 inside. The recent change has been the introduction of the 3861 inside the gold Apollo 11 50th Anniversary model, and it is expected that this movement will make it into other limited editions, and perhaps progressively into entire Professional range.

A discussion about the 321 vs 861 is something I will let you look into yourself, but suffice to say if you are not going to be buying a pre-1968 vintage Speedmaster you will not be buying a watch with a 321 inside, so the discussion is academic based on what you have said above. That said, a remake of the 321 is on the way, but so far looks like will be produced in very limited numbers and will only make it into "special" watches.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 10:09 PM   #3
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
You'll also find the 9900 mvnt inside the Racing Master Chronometer model (co-axial METAS, self-winding, 60 hrs power reserve).
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 10:32 PM   #4
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

The crystal ball society thinks Omega will be releasing a new SpeedyPro soon with the 321 now that they are making the 321 movement again.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 11:48 PM   #5
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I'd add the highly controversial 3313 automatic.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote