The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 21 April 2019, 09:30 PM   #1
NB93
"TRF" Member

Technical question Rolex Explorer II 16570

Hi there,

First post here, and apologies if this has already been asked but I couldn’t seem to find exactly what I was looking for on the forums/internet.

I recently purchased a second hand 16570 polar 2005 and so far the watch has certainly lived up to expectations, and I’m thrilled with the purchase. One thing that has come to my attention (through the endless hours of staring at this beauty!!!) is the GMT function is slightly fast, by probably about 5 minutes. (The gmt Hand will reach the centre of the corresponding number at about 5 minutes to the hour)

I understand that this is being incredibly particular but I guess the question I wanted to ask is, does this fall within the expectations of a GMT Rolex (taking into consideration its era and of course age). As I don’t have personal experiences with a GMT function prior to this piece this may very well be completely normal But I’m unsure.

As far as time keeping goes it seems to be keeping relatively good time, from what I’ve read and learnt throughout the years I should give it a proper month or so to judge its accuracy, but one week in its ended up fast by about 30 seconds (which to me seems good) but I’d really appreciate hearing others thoughts around this too. It’s also worth noting prior to purchase the dealer I brought it from advised me it has benefitted from a service.

Sorry for the lengthy thread, any help is appreciated thanks guys!
NB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 02:54 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Do all of the hands meet at 2400hrs?
Old 22 April 2019, 07:09 AM   #3
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I recently bought a 16570 Polar as well and sent it to RolliWorks for service. When I got it back, the GMT hand was also "off" by about five minutes. I sent it back and they fixed it so that all three hands line up exactly at 12:00. Those guys are very, very good at what they do. Still, when the hands are placed back on the watch during service, I think it's relatively easy to have the GMT hand off by a few minutes. I would suspect that happened when the watch was serviced.
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:22 PM   #4
NB93
"TRF" Member

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. The GMT hand is slightly off at 2400 again just a little past. It’s probably just me being very particular about it, do you think it’s worth noting this with the dealer and getting it fixed up? As mentioned everything otherwise is excellent for its era. Should it be maintaining a certain standard of time? As far as I can tell it’s gained roughly 5 seconds a day which to me seems pretty good.
Old 23 April 2019, 03:51 PM   #5
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
So like Erhein said, sounds like the 24hr hand was slightly off when the hands were resinstalled. Personally, it would bother me and I would have them re-set by a competent watchmaker.

+5 sec/day is fine. That's within COSC standards (-4/+6).
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 10:06 PM   #6
NB93
"TRF" Member

Great thanks very much, ive spoken to a couple of watchmakers over the past couple days that say it could be simply backlash as well, but I will take it to get it looked at to know for sure.

Off topic but something that comes to mind, when it comes to the twinlock crown, what do you guys think in terms of having the watch pressure tested regularly? The closest any of my watches come to water is washing my hands which may result in a splash every now and again so I don’t feel it’s really necessary...but I mostly own dive watches this is my first GMT.
Old 26 April 2019, 05:15 PM   #7
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

The tube and crown gasket should last 5+ years without issues if properly lubricated with fomblin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB93 View Post
Great thanks very much, ive spoken to a couple of watchmakers over the past couple days that say it could be simply backlash as well, but I will take it to get it looked at to know for sure.

Off topic but something that comes to mind, when it comes to the twinlock crown, what do you guys think in terms of having the watch pressure tested regularly? The closest any of my watches come to water is washing my hands which may result in a splash every now and again so I don’t feel it’s really necessary...but I mostly own dive watches this is my first GMT.
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote