The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 April 2019, 09:04 AM   #1
jamesivta
"TRF" Member

Rare 1959 GMT Master 1675

I have a question, I have a 1959 GMT Master 1675. It is different from every other 1675 I have ever seen. The difference is that my 1675 does not say Superlative Chronometer on the face, it is the same face as a 6542 and says Officially Certified Chronometer instead. I did talk to a Rolex expert and he told me this version was a very early 1675 and very rare. I did confirm the model on the end of the watch and also the reference number to confirm the date. My question is, has anyone seen one like this before, it is in good shape, works perfect and shows appropriate wear for the age. I have been told it could be worth over $30K. Just trying to find out if anyone knows how many might have been made and any other suggestions on a possible range of value. Or any other information.
jamesivta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 09:07 AM   #2
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Yup, it's an OCC. https://gmtmaster1675.com/occ/

Probably worth significantly more than $30k to be honest.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 09:52 AM   #3
jamesivta
"TRF" Member

Thank You!

Thanks Harry greatly appreciate the info and link.
Old 23 April 2019, 10:12 AM   #4
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesivta View Post
I have a question, I have a 1959 GMT Master 1675. It is different from every other 1675 I have ever seen. The difference is that my 1675 does not say Superlative Chronometer on the face, it is the same face as a 6542 and says Officially Certified Chronometer instead. I did talk to a Rolex expert and he told me this version was a very early 1675 and very rare. I did confirm the model on the end of the watch and also the reference number to confirm the date. My question is, has anyone seen one like this before, it is in good shape, works perfect and shows appropriate wear for the age. I have been told it could be worth over $30K. Just trying to find out if anyone knows how many might have been made and any other suggestions on a possible range of value. Or any other information.
It would be wise to take some clear pictures of the watch and post them so that the resident experts can evaluate its originality. Value will be based on originality. If parts have been replaced with later service parts than its value will be greatly diminished.
Unfortunately, most will not give values other than a ballpark range or they can help point you in the direction of previous auction sales as a benchmark if you need to insure it.
Old 23 April 2019, 10:33 AM   #5
Vlad
"TRF" Member

very early 1675 did have a OCC, later they switched to SCOC. Yes, the early dials are more desirable, but for the watch to be worth a lot, the case should not be pitted and over polished, the dial should be 'nice' - could be tropical, but should be pretty. all else should be original, not replacement not service. Ugly dials do detract from the price.

Post pictures - as we need to see the hands, the bezel, the insert, lugs, case back, crystal, numbers (mostly how clear they are), and so on...
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 11:18 AM   #6
jamesivta
"TRF" Member

Picture

Here is one, ill take some more later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190217_1128267.jpg (158.1 KB, 983 views)
Old 23 April 2019, 11:22 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Looks very attractive at first glance.

The bezel is a relatively easy fix. Keep posting photos for more info. Move the hands to show the printing. Higher resolution would be better (or crop image to keep the file size down).
Old 23 April 2019, 11:23 AM   #8
BigBlue1

Watch: it pal !
Looks great. The bezel is an easy swap. Lugs look good to. Bracelet has stretch but to be expected. Where did it come from or better yet how did you acquire it? Interested how you came about it.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 11:28 AM   #9
jamesivta
"TRF" Member

Gmt 1675

It was my Father's. He was a pilot in the air force. He was in flight school in the late 50's, he traded a radio for it with another pilot. True story. My father had it all this time.
Old 23 April 2019, 11:59 AM   #10
BigBlue1

Awesome. Any engravings on it? Does it run? Any pictures of your Father in his gear and or with the watch on? If you can provide a good story with facts and documentation, with the watch you could increase it significantly.

RIP Mikey
Old 23 April 2019, 12:02 PM   #11
BigBlue1

some close of pics of the dial would be great. Give us some more photos if you don't mind.

RIP Mikey
Old 23 April 2019, 12:06 PM   #12
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Really nice. Get an era-appropriate bezel on there (though, that will cost thousands of dollars) and you'll have a showstopper.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 03:49 PM   #13
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Looks nice. Bracelet was also replaced at some point. That is a folded oyster and the correct type would be a rivet if not a folded jubilee or strap. I’d be more inclined that the serial is early 500k something and that the caseback is stamped 60.
Old 23 April 2019, 05:09 PM   #14
miamiman
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex 1675
Beautiful watch , but the sad thing is when that Bakelite bezel was replaced back in the day nobody knew how valuable and expensive they would become, they probable just threw it in some drawer or threw it away in the trash
miamiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 05:16 PM   #15
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Beautiful watch , but the sad thing is when that Bakelite bezel was replaced back in the day nobody knew how valuable and expensive they would become, they probable just threw it in some drawer or threw it away in the trash
It is a 1675; not a 6542. It just need an earlier aluminium insert as long as it still have the early style bezel. Which it looks like it has.
Old 23 April 2019, 06:17 PM   #16
lee fowler

Watch: GMT
Looks like a very nice find and would seem to fit the serial number range for the OCC dial, congrats.

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:07 AM   #17
BigBlue1

Come on with some more photos.

RIP Mikey
Old 24 April 2019, 06:12 AM   #18
jamesivta
"TRF" Member

More Photos and better story

Okay, more photos. I appreciate all the info from everyone. I have had a rolex for 25 years, but this is my first vintage watch. I am 58 and can remember seeing it at least 54 years ago and he had it for longer than that.

My father was born in 1934 during the depression. He had worked since he was 10, paid his way through college in Nebraska, where he was in the Air Force ROTC. He joined the Air Force after that. In 1960 while in flight school for the F4 Phantom he became friends with another pilot in training who came from a fairly wealthy family. This other pilot had the watch, it wasn't working properly so he offered to trade the watch with my Father for a radio. Deal done, my Father had it serviced for about $25 it worked perfectly after that. He wore the watch flying the F4 Phantom in the states. He was sent to Vietnam in 1970 flying the B66 as an electronic jammer. He was stationed in Korat Thailand and flew over 75 missions over North Vietnam wearing the watch. Upon returning to the states he flew the F-111 Fighter Bomber. He retired as a Lt. Colonel, after that he was a professor at the university of Texas. He was also a successful real estate investor and restored untold numbers of model A Fords and Austins. I now have a fully restored 1931 Model A Ford Police Paddy Wagon. So many more things about him, but those are some of the highlights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (208.1 KB, 715 views)
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (101.8 KB, 713 views)
File Type: jpg pic3.jpg (168.6 KB, 710 views)
Old 24 April 2019, 06:42 AM   #19
jamesivta
"TRF" Member

Gmt 1675

I submitted 3 more photos, waiting for them to post
Old 24 April 2019, 06:57 AM   #20
jamesivta
"TRF" Member

More Pics

More pics, appreciate all the info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (208.1 KB, 792 views)
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (101.8 KB, 783 views)
File Type: jpg pic3.jpg (168.6 KB, 777 views)
Old 24 April 2019, 06:59 AM   #21
jamesivta
"TRF" Member

Gmt 1675

P.S. This watch has only been polished twice.
Old 24 April 2019, 07:03 AM   #22
waspy1
Banned

Rare 1959 GMT Master 1675

Very nice watch. Very valuable - worth considerably more than the 30k you’ve been quoted. If selling, try to find some ‘military provenance’ which ties the watch to your fathers service and the value will increase significantly. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:07 AM   #23
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
Wow that dial...great watch!
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:12 AM   #24
Trusted Smeller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesivta View Post
P.S. This watch has only been polished twice.
And not poorly by the looks of it
Trusted Smeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:17 AM   #25
cowboy music
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Wow - that looks fantastic! Beautiful watch you have there.
cowboy music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:59 AM   #26
jamesivta
"TRF" Member

Story behind the watch

This watch belonged to my Father. He was a child during the depression, started working at the age of 10 in Iowa. He owned his first car (an Austin) when he was 13, bought it for $30 dollars. He paid his own way through college and was in the air force ROTC. He joined the air force after graduation. In 1960 he was in flight school learning to fly the F4 Phantom. In flight school he became friends with another student. This student came from a fairly wealthy family and he had the watch. The watch had a minor problem and was not working correctly. Based on that he traded the watch to my Father for a radio that my Dad had. What a trade! My Father wore the watch while flying the F4. In 1970 he was deployed to a base in Korat, Thailand to fly missions in Vietnam. He was flying the B66 electronic jammier. They would fly ahead of the fighters and bombers (very dangerous) to jam the Vietnamese missiles and protect the other planes. He flew over 75 missions in Vietnam and wore the watch. Upon returning to the states he flew the F-111 also wearing the watch. He retired as a Lt. Colonel. After that he got his PHD and was a professor at the Univ. of TX in Austin. He was also a successful real estate investor and loved rebuilding vintage cars. He has rebuilt numerous Model A Fords (I have one of them, a 1931 Model A Ford Police Paddy Wagon). He was also a great Father. Many more things to his life, but these are the highlights. I am looking for a picture of him in his flight suit.
Old 24 April 2019, 08:02 AM   #27
jamesivta
"TRF" Member

Gmt 1675

I don't believe it has been worn or even cleaned in 25 years.
Old 24 April 2019, 08:06 AM   #28
jamesivta
"TRF" Member

Story behind the watch

My Father joined the air force after graduating from college. In 1960 he was in flight school learning to fly the F4 Phantom. In flight school he became friends with another student. This student came from a fairly wealthy family and he had the watch. He traded the watch to my Father for a radio that my Dad had. What a trade! My Father wore the watch while flying the F4. In 1970 he was deployed to a base in Korat, Thailand to fly missions in Vietnam. He flew over 75 missions in Vietnam and wore the watch. Upon returning to the states he flew the F-111 also wearing the watch. He retired as a Lt. Colonel. After that he got his PHD and was a professor at the Univ. of TX in Austin. I am looking for a picture of him in his flight suit.
Old 24 April 2019, 08:28 AM   #29
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

You may want to have someone take a look at the lug holes to make sure they haven't become a bit enlarged over time. I was looking at your photo from the side of the watch that shows the crown, and the hole in the lug on the right side in particular seems quite large, although I suppose it could be an optical illusion. The watch is really valuable, and I wouldn't want it to fall off of your wrist due to a spring-bar failure.
Old 24 April 2019, 08:48 AM   #30
jamesivta
"TRF" Member

Thanks Dan

Thank you, I'm taking it next week to a vintage Rolex expert here in Austin next week. I'll ask about that.