The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 10 April 2019, 01:02 AM   #1
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Aqua Terra going back to service again 3rd time in 7 years..

I bought my Aqua Terra 8500 in late 2011 when my second daughter was born. I love this watch and really enjoy wearing it. After a couple years of ownership I was setting the date with the jumping hour hand. All of a sudden the hour hand stopped jumping and was rotating smoothly. I sent the watch back to Omega and the issue seemed fixed. I did notice once I got it back that while setting the date the winding crown felt "looser" with less resistance. Well, after about a year give or take, the same issue happened again. At this point the watch went back to Omega once more and it was fixed under warranty.

Fast forward about four years and this morning I'm setting the date from the 21st to the 9th, and... you guessed it. Same issue, where the hour hand isn't jumping.

I have always been careful with my watches, and setting them is always a slow delicate process. I'm never rough with them while winding or setting. I'm pretty disappointed that the watch is going back to Omega for the third time, for the same issue in about 7 and half years.

I spoke with Omega service today and they are sending me out a box to ship them the watch. I am in for a complete service now, and I'm not thrilled that they told me it will be roughly $450 - $550.

There are two ways to look at this, one the watch is almost eight years old and a service isn't really a huge surprise or the worst thing that could happen. Although, on the other hand the watch was supposedly overhauled in 2015, so it really shouldn't need a service. It is possible that something was just fixed in the movement and it was not lubricated and completely serviced at that point.

I will send the watch back and see what they say once they open it up. This thread isn't really to complain, but more to see if anyone else is experiencing any issues with their co axial movement.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 01:42 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Sorry for your trouble. I hope the problem is properly addressed.

I also am contemplating sending my Aqua Terra with Caliber 8500 back for correction of a minor problem after it went back and forth a couple of times about a year ago.

My watch was new in early 2015, and its crown always had lots of resistance to twisting for any purpose (winding the movement, setting the hour hand, fully pulled to the hacking position, it always had way more resistance than it should have). While it was still under warranty, I sent it to have this problem addressed. When I received it back, the crown didn't snap properly into its three different positions for winding/setting/hacking (I think I recall it didn't go properly into the position for just winding the movement). It went back for that correction, and all was well afterward. The crown works perfectly and feels crisp and solid in every way.

The watch has functioned beautifully in the year since, but just the other day I noticed that the hour hand isn't pointed exactly at the hour index when the time is at the top of the hour. With the minutes hand at the top of the hour, and with the crown pulled to the hours-setting position, the hour-hand does point exactly to the hour index, but when I'm finished setting the time and push the crown in the hour-hand jumps forward so that is noticeably misaligned with the hour index. Now that I've noticed it, I sorta can't un-notice it.

I phoned customer service and they emailed me a shipping label about a week ago, but I haven't boxed it up to send it in yet. Bummed!

I suppose I'll send it this week, and I'll come back and update this thread to say how it goes. Wishing you good luck with yours!
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 09:05 AM   #3
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure the jumping hour feature is worth the hassle. I haven't had any issues with my 8500 and 8900 movements yet, but I avoid changing the hours like the plague. One more reason to seek out the 8800.
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote