The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 June 2009, 11:09 PM   #1
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Advice appreciated with 5513 restoration

I'd really appreciate some advise with a 5513 just purchased. I would like to keep it as authentic as I can so I guess that rules out the RSC? It really looks like its been through the wars. Serial no. is 733xxxx and an inscription on the back dates it to early/mid 80's.

IMHO the dial looks OK but the hands look pitted or corroded although there is no sign of water or corrosion in the movement. Is it normal that hands can go like that and the dial not? I doubt the dial has been renewed or refinished as it does not look like anyone has spent any money on this watch for quite some time.

I am thinking new crown, tube etc, service, new bexel insert/pearl and new (old) hands and of course a polish.

Am I heading in the right direction? Is this something that Rolex can do or would they just throw out the dial and hands and put on luminova ones? Any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated. It was'nt a cheap watch but I don't believe overpriced either - However I reserve the right to rephrase that once the bills start to come in...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53131.jpg (87.4 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg 53132.jpg (38.8 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg 55133.jpg (36.4 KB, 320 views)
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2009, 11:49 PM   #2
onkyo
Banned

Hi Michael,

I agree with your plan..... routine service including polish, new (used) matching hands, and bezel.

Keep the old parts just in case someone wants them later.

The dial looks good so I would not touch that.

Why not give the watch to Bob Ridley or Dalton?

ps very nice piece
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2009, 11:53 PM   #3
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post
Hi Michael,

I agree with your plan..... routine service including polish, new (used) matching hands, and bezel.

Keep the old parts just in case someone wants them later.

The dial looks good so I would not touch that.

Why not give the watch to Bob Ridley or Dalton?

ps very nice piece
Thanks Pav, I am in Australia so Bob or Dalton could be a problem with importing into US. Any idea why the hands go like that and the dial still ok? is that normal?
Old 26 June 2009, 12:54 AM   #4
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjp6 View Post
Thanks Pav, I am in Australia so Bob or Dalton could be a problem with importing into US. Any idea why the hands go like that and the dial still ok? is that normal?
Possibly the dial was changed during service many years ago. The hands look like possible water damage at some point?? Maybe dial was changed then?

I have seen hands aging faster than dials, but not that much faster....

Do you have a local 'Bob or Dalton' in Australia?

onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Those hands show signs of pitting and corrosion, as well as moisture migration into the lume; so I would say that no, this is not normal.. The crystal also appears to be in excellent condition for a watch of that age....

I would bet a dollar that that dial has been replaced at some point... I also suspect that the crystal was replaced along the line.

Some matching hands is all this beauty needs. and, of course, a proper service replacement bracelet

There is an Australian arm of the NAWCC.....look them up for local restorers.. or you could call the RSC and get recommendation of watchmakers that do contact Rolex work..
Old 26 June 2009, 09:29 AM   #6
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Thanks Larry, Pav I'll contact the NAWCC and see where that takes me. I'll post some pics when all done..
Old 27 June 2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

That's a diamond in the rough. If you send it to a RSC, they will replace any damaged parts, and you will not get them back. I'd go to an independant repair facility and have the hands, crystal, and bezel replaced along with an internal tuneup. You'll pay a pretty penny for a replacement bracelet. I'd go with a NATO strap instead.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2009, 09:00 AM   #8
adam78
"TRF" Member

You might well be able to source some vintage matching tritium hands via the market section of the Vintage Rolex Forum. I've seen sets for sale there quite often.
Old 27 June 2009, 09:26 AM   #9
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam78 View Post
You might well be able to source some vintage matching tritium hands via the market section of the Vintage Rolex Forum. I've seen sets for sale there quite often.
thanks Adam, I've already got a new bezel insert on the way (as of 10 mins ago) from Steve M. If I can't get any hands from him I'll try the VRF. Once that is done I'll then send it to the RSC for a polish and service and tell them to leave hands and bezel alone.
Old 27 June 2009, 10:25 AM   #10
djhiram
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600 Sea Dweller
Quote:
thanks Adam, I've already got a new bezel insert on the way (as of 10 mins ago) from Steve M. If I can't get any hands from him I'll try the VRF. Once that is done I'll then send it to the RSC for a polish and service and tell them to leave hands and bezel alone.
Be careful with that. I've heard of instances where they have changed them anyways - even after being asked to leave them alone. You wouldn't even find out about it until it's too late.

- Charriol Columbus Chrono M.O.P Dial
- Handfull of G-Shocks
- Rolex Bluesy
Co-Founder of the Brothers of the Leaf Society
djhiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2009, 01:13 PM   #11
adam78
"TRF" Member

If you send to RSC, consider leaving on the old hands so that they will be changed with Luminova ones which you can use in the meantime, then having an independent watchmaker change to new matching tritium ones when you are able to source them.
Old 27 June 2009, 09:43 PM   #12
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhiram View Post
Be careful with that. I've heard of instances where they have changed them anyways - even after being asked to leave them alone. You wouldn't even find out about it until it's too late.
Hopefully not, I do have quite a good relationship with the Sydney RSC and if they don't agree to leave well alone they will not get the business.

I found someone else today that can do the work ( I would rather RSC do it) so they are not my last resort.

Just taking it slowly at the moment until the new insert arrives and I can source some hands.

The watch btw amazingly is keeping unbelievably good time for the days four days that I have had it, +1 sec so far and have worn it non stop since it arrived, so really happy with that. Even in its current state it just feels so right.
Old 27 June 2009, 09:45 PM   #13
Lowflight
Banned

I would send it to Dalton in LA and maybe he or someone can source you some tritium hands. They are not that difficult to find.
Lowflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2009, 11:07 PM   #14
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflight View Post
I would send it to Dalton in LA
I am in Australia, there is a danger the watch will be seized by US customs if I try to send it to the US.. so that is not an option.
Old 28 June 2009, 03:46 AM   #15
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
Quote:
I am in Australia, there is a danger the watch will be seized by US customs if I try to send it to the US.. so that is not an option.
Hey Nice watch! I understand your problem here. What I have found to be an easy way for shipping an item out from down under is, to send it out as parts, and not as a watch. I had a few watches arrive this way, but of course that's your call. Good luck with that piece for sure. Oh the things I would do to that case would probably scare everyone in here, but the results would be stellar. Checkout Kenny's 5513. That sure is one heck of a beauty. I also have a nice set of hands that will fit that movement.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2009, 01:38 PM   #16
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Hey Nice watch! I understand your problem here. What I have found to be an easy way for shipping an item out from down under is, to send it out as parts, and not as a watch. I had a few watches arrive this way, but of course that's your call.
Thanks for the offer Dalton especially as you come in such high regard, but I really don't want to risk losing it, even if its only a very slim chance of being seized, its a worry that I can do without right now. I have found someone to do what I am after locally so I will get them to do the initial work and then RSC can finish it off.

I just need to find a few more piggy banks that can assist in the project...
Old 28 June 2009, 06:31 PM   #17
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
No worries. I would feel the same way too. ziggy piggy ziggy piggy! I need a few more piggy banks myself. The vintage stuff has me salivating all of the time.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote