The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2008, 01:19 AM   #1
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
The Explorer II Enigma. Historical Thread

I know this has been discussed before, but I thought it might be interesting to revisit.

Of all the SS Sport Rollies out there, the Explorer II (and Explorer, but the focus of this thread is on the II), particularly the black dial, seems to be the least desirable, and hence has the lowest resale value. I bought my slightly used one from my AD at a significant discount from MSRP, and it's fairly common to get TT like discounts on these, which differs from all the other SS Sporties. We see Explorer II's languish in AD's cases and on our For Sale page, often being discounted several times before they sell or are pulled.

The watch is essentially the same as the legacy GMT II's, minus the rotating bezel. It has a sleek and unique profile not seen on other non-Rolex watches, except the Invicta's Rolex-inspired models. It's comfort is among the best of Sports Rollies, and it has the added complication of the 24H hand.

I'd like to see a discussion about TRFers thoughts on why the Explorer II's desirability and resale is lower than that of other Sports models. The longer I own mine, the more I like it, and I can't figure out why it's not more popular
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 01:40 AM   #2
etp095
"TRF" Member

i know what you mean about he resale value.i have a nib z serial that i bought 2 months ago from my il ad that i want to sell.every time i see one here for sale it just hangs around for quite a while,and the price drops over and over again.i might just post it on craigslist and see what happens.it is a cool watch but i want to use the funds for the new deep sea.
pepsi gmt for dad(D)
polar expy II(z)
1675 gmt circa 68'
ladies datejust on jubilee for mom (z)
sea dweller16600(M)
SS Sub-C(g)
Omega Planet Ocean,45.5 on mesh(2500D)
etp095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 02:04 AM   #3
seantk
"TRF" Member

David,

I do not own an Explorer, however I do like the 24hr hand.

If I were to buy one I would buy the white face because I like the look of it better and because I already have a black dial watch with my Sea Dweller.

Sean
Old 21 January 2017, 12:29 PM   #4
Jim P
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp1&2,YM,Milg
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantk View Post
David,

I do not own an Explorer, however I do like the 24hr hand.

If I were to buy one I would buy the white face because I like the look of it better and because I already have a black dial watch with my Sea Dweller.

Sean
That's exactly what I did when I bought my Explorer II. Since I own a Sub I went with the white dial explorer.
Jim P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 02:10 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I don't understand this either..

My feeling is that most Rolex owners and buyers of today spend most of their time indoors in front of the computer, so the durability and 'ruggedness' of the watch is irrelevent, only the image..

I live in the desert, so when I go for a mountain climb, bike ride, the drag-races, or out to a off-road event..The EXP II is the right watch for the event. It doesn't have the fragile rotating bezel to get sand and grit into, and bangin' it against the rocks and dragging through the brush has little affect.

Hey....if you spend your time clubbin' and posen', then strap on that blingy GMT or your Beach Daytona.

But if you have a serious TT event, or your climbing the dunes in your modified VW1800, or rock climbing in the Jeep....The EXP II is the ultimate workhorse:

Old 19 June 2011, 11:09 PM   #6
josh6262

Watch: Rolex Daytona 6262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

My feeling is that most Rolex owners and buyers of today spend most of their time indoors in front of the computer, so the durability and 'ruggedness' of the watch is irrelevent, only the image..

I live in the desert, so when I go for a mountain climb, bike ride, the drag-races, or out to a off-road event..The EXP II is the right watch for the event. It doesn't have the fragile rotating bezel to get sand and grit into, and bangin' it against the rocks and dragging through the brush has little affect.

Hey....if you spend your time clubbin' and posen', then strap on that blingy GMT or your Beach Daytona.

But if you have a serious TT event, or your climbing the dunes in your modified VW1800, or rock climbing in the Jeep....The EXP II is the ultimate workhorse:

Love this post, best one I've seen on this site yet. The truth hurts.

Last edited by Tools; 19 January 2020 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: corrupted image
josh6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2011, 11:38 PM   #7
TangoTango
Banned

Quote:

[/IMG]
Let me start by saying that I have owned three explorer ll's (2 old and 1 new 42mm). I love the watch, however when people try to promote it's ruggedness, I have chime in. I have found that the GMT ll C (for comparison sake because it also has 24hr hand) is by far more rugged that the exp ll. I find that the crystal on the GMT is much more protected with it being flush with the bezel. The crystal on the exp ll is highly exposed as it rises above the bezel. I'd rather worry about getting some "dirt, grit" in the rotating bezel of the GMY than chipping the edge of the crystal on the exp ll. as far as scratches and aesthetics, I also feel that the GMT stands up better to everyday wear. The non rotating bezel on the exp ll is highly susceptible to scratched and dents. The ceramic bezel insert on the GMT is practically scratch proof. As stated above, I really do love the explorer ll, but don't buy the the belief that it is more rugged than other Rolex models.

Last edited by Tools; 19 January 2020 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: corrupted image
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 12:02 PM   #8
subkrawler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Whilst I like the image, in those situations above, I think a Gshock will be better suited....Just saying....
Maybe, but some of us don't like throw away watches.
Old 24 February 2016, 06:55 AM   #9
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
Quote:

img
hi , much as i respect this point of view , and egree with most of it , i dont understand why the 24 hr function is needed , there fore a simple explorer 1 would do nicely ,,, i can never quite make up my mind with the exp 2.

Last edited by Tools; 19 January 2020 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: corrupted image
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2016, 09:03 AM   #10
cenzor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Corum Admirals Cup
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
hi , much as i respect this point of view , and egree with most of it , i dont understand why the 24 hr function is needed , there fore a simple explorer 1 would do nicely ,,, i can never quite make up my mind with the exp 2.
Initially designed to use it as day/night function when you are in a cave . As it was intended for cave exploring, once under the surface you are not able to distinguish day from night.
I.e. :

Under the surface but in my case, the cave (named Eyes of God) is collapsed and light enters in it.
cenzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2016, 07:44 PM   #11
dddl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What?
Quote:

[IMG]

Last edited by Tools; 19 January 2020 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: corrupted image
dddl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2016, 01:46 AM   #12
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartRolex View Post
Surely we can admire one watch without dismissing others.
I don't think Tools is dismissing other watches but making the point that the Explorer II is, and has remained, the most authentic no nonsense rugged tool watch in the Rolex line up.

I agree with this and its a big part of the appeal of the Explorer II to me. I think its the least popular Rolex because of this - it flies under the radar and non-wis types who want a Rolex are more likely to go for more recognised and, lets be honest, flashier models such as the Datejust, Day-Date, Sub, GMT (and I speak as a lover of these watches). That's fine - leaves more Explorers for the cognoscenti to pick up.

I love the Polar and the black. I think the black is often underrated - its a stunning watch. I would also love to have a polar 16570 with yellow tritium markers or even better, one of the creme dialed polars.

These are mine -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9410.jpg (106.4 KB, 1421 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9109.jpg (74.6 KB, 1408 views)
Old 6 November 2016, 11:48 PM   #13
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I don't think Tools is dismissing other watches but making the point that the Explorer II is, and has remained, the most authentic no nonsense rugged tool watch in the Rolex line up.

I agree with this and its a big part of the appeal of the Explorer II to me. I think its the least popular Rolex because of this - it flies under the radar and non-wis types who want a Rolex are more likely to go for more recognised and, lets be honest, flashier models such as the Datejust, Day-Date, Sub, GMT (and I speak as a lover of these watches). That's fine - leaves more Explorers for the cognoscenti to pick up.

I love the Polar and the black. I think the black is often underrated - its a stunning watch. I would also love to have a polar 16570 with yellow tritium markers or even better, one of the creme dialed polars.

These are mine -
No hard feelings, just thought I sensed a tinge of disdain for other Rolex models.

I love this watch and actually purchased the black dial for my guy because I thought it was both beautiful AND tough. He didn't think he'd wear it much so I returned it and felt rather heartbroken that he couldn't see it was a treasure.

I agree that black is truly stunning. I would have kept it and worn it myself if I didn't already have a GMT IIc LN
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2017, 03:23 PM   #14
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
Quote:

[/IMG]
i hear ya dude!! love my black face wear it everyday.. and i'm a commercial lobster fisherman.. takes a beating that's for sure!
what i love about it is that people don't see rolex right away, u less you have an eye like everyone on here.. but it doesn't pop out like a president or sub.. incognito..!

Last edited by Tools; 19 January 2020 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: corrupted image
chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 05:48 PM   #15
Hoppyjr
"TRF" Member

The Explorer II Enigma

Quote:

[/IMG]

I’ve quoted an old post.....

The newer model is (at least subjectively) more attractive, but it’s true that most Rolex buyers get a Rolex because they want it to be recognized as a symbol of success. They therefore gravitate toward the more recognizable models like the Datejust, Submariner, GMT, and Daytona.

I agree that the Explorer II is just as functional as the GMT and, in its current form with the 3187 movement, likely more durable. This is surely aided by the fixed bezel.

I’ve owned the GMT 16710 and should have never sold it. I’ve also owned and sold the 116710 GMTc and I don’t miss that one. In fact, I’ve sold every ceramic bezel model I’ve owned. I just don’t care for the flashy looks.

While lacking a rotating bezel, the 216570 reminds me of the last generation sport models. The generation that could withstand almost anything. While the current ceramic bezel watches are surely robust, they leave me with the feeling that they are more fragile.

The Explorer II is one that would suggest function over form. A working watch.

Long live the Explorer II.

Last edited by Tools; 21 January 2020 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: corrupted image
Hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 06:23 PM   #16
rgwarden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyjr View Post
I’ve quoted an old post.....

The newer model is (at least subjectively) more attractive, but it’s true that most Rolex buyers get a Rolex because they want it to be recognized as a symbol of success. They therefore gravitate toward the more recognizable models like the Datejust, Submariner, GMT, and Daytona.

I agree that the Explorer II is just as functional as the GMT and, in its current form with the 3187 movement, likely more durable. This is surely aided by the fixed bezel.

I’ve owned the GMT 16710 and should have never sold it. I’ve also owned and sold the 116710 GMTc and I don’t miss that one. In fact, I’ve sold every ceramic bezel model I’ve owned. I just don’t care for the flashy looks.

While lacking a rotating bezel, the 216570 reminds me of the last generation sport models. The generation that could withstand almost anything. While the current ceramic bezel watches are surely robust, they leave me with the feeling that they are more fragile.

The Explorer II is one that would suggest function over form. A working watch.

Long live the Explorer II.

Good post. And I agree. I loved looking at my BLNR but ultimately I couldn’t shake the reality that as I walked through doorways I was forever guarding against knocking the bezel. The one that I never turned. The 16710 is a fantastic watch but I even prefer the 16750 or 16700. Two time zones is quite enough for me.
But either way the ceramic dial sparkle just wore off for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rgwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 06:42 AM   #17
samcarlos
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I really do like the previous model explorer 2 vs 42mm version and orange get hand. I have my eye on one, but want the engraved Rehaut. I will most likely be purchasing on as I have seen them steadily in prices.
samcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2008, 05:00 AM   #18
Greenring
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by etp095 View Post
i know what you mean about he resale value.i have a nib z serial that i bought 2 months ago from my il ad that i want to sell.every time i see one here for sale it just hangs around for quite a while,and the price drops over and over again.i might just post it on craigslist and see what happens.it is a cool watch but i want to use the funds for the new deep sea.
Have you tried posting it here in TRF Classifieds? You'll get a better more knowledgeable bunch of WIS-heads looking at it. Heck, I might have a good look myself as a NIB Exp2 may be what I get my brother for Xmas.

Last edited by Greenring; 26 October 2008 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: grammetical bobo
Greenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2008, 05:19 AM   #19
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
The exp II is defnantly on my short list..
Matter of fact i was looking at one last night
Just dont know if im ready to take the plunge just yet...

I would love to see a lume shot of the white exp 2 compared to the black..
So get the cameras out guys...
chriseskew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2008, 01:20 PM   #20
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
Lisa - I hope you mean bequeathed in the sense of handed over and not "passed on!"
D'oh! I should have looked that up to be sure I was using the right word Thanks for catching that!
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2010, 12:52 AM   #21
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
Icon9 Yeh, I feel your pain

Quote:
I have an 2 year old TT Omega Constellation that I bought for 3G's from an AD. I wanted to sell it and use the money for a new Rolex. I can't even sell it for half ( including S & H). Putting it on Craigs list got many scammers. Of course I could sell it to the ones who wanted to pay me to ship it to Nigeria.LOL

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
hsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 09:06 AM   #22
puckbw11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

White or black dial? I am interested in a white dial -- so message me if you're thinking of selling.
puckbw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 12:03 PM   #23
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Mine sports natos as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.9 KB, 1216 views)
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 12:04 PM   #24
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.6 KB, 1212 views)
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2016, 10:45 PM   #25
riken
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
On Hirsch Leonardo waterproof with deployment clasp - very comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160507_200921.jpg (84.7 KB, 1144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160507_200930.jpg (78.4 KB, 1136 views)
riken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 11:18 AM   #26
dundee63
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680
Quote:
I guess you just answered the question. You want to sell yours. I have both the polar and a black spider rail dial. both 16550. I love them. but they just dont see the wrist time my other rollies get.
dundee63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 02:17 AM   #27
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I work in an office, in a factory and on construction sites. I also drive a lot, here there and everywhere, and I cross timezones now and then. Apart from jumping +2secs/day after taking a whack on a table, my Explorer II Blanc is still with spec at +3.2secs/day overall, a little scratched up, but looking damn good on my wrist for it. People can't believe I wear it to sites, factories etc and I just tell them, it's what it's been made for.

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 02:40 AM   #28
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Well said, Larry and Lee. It's a great watch for Desk Diving AND REAL outdoors adventures! Of all the Rollies, I think there is no better for a soldier in the field.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 02:46 AM   #29
SlowKarter

Love my Exp II
SlowKarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 02:50 AM   #30
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I would say the Explorer II (and regular Explorer for that matter) are both more watches that WIS would choose. And most Rolex wearers aren't necessarily WIS.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote