The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 February 2010, 02:41 AM   #1
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
New lens!

I ordered a new lens - it ships tomorrow, so I probably won't have it until the end of the week.

It will be for my EOS-5D. It's a manual focus pancake lens, the Cosina/Voigtlander SLII 40mm f/2 Ultron Aspherical. It is electronically coupled, and on the Canon mount version of the lens, there is no aperture ring - it's controlled via the camera. Metering works as well.

Neat little bugger. Also comes with an interesting hood (the ring on the bottom right) and a close-up lens. I'm eager to see how the close-up works.

I also ordered the Canon Ee-S Super Precision matte focusing screen for my 5D. That should help me manual focus more accurately and more swiftly.

I love the 40mm focal length - I shoot a CV 40/1.4 Nokton S.C. on my rangefinder. Really looking forward to this lens.

A pic of someone's 5DMkII with the lens on it. Pretty great little package.

Pic from the same guy showing how easily it stows in his bag. That's an Oly E-P1 Pen beside it.

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 08:12 AM   #2
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
cool! Look forward to seeing your new pix!
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 09:15 AM   #3
explodingtaco
"TRF" Member

Here comes what I am sure is a noob question:

Why somthing like this instead of a 50 1.4/1.8 (which I bet you already have) and just back up a foot or 2?
explodingtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 11:10 AM   #4
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by explodingtaco View Post
Here comes what I am sure is a noob question:

Why somthing like this instead of a 50 1.4/1.8 (which I bet you already have) and just back up a foot or 2?

Yes, I have several - the Canon 50/1.8, the Nikon 50/1.4, and a Lensbaby Composer (50mm).

So a few reasons.

-The CV lens is a real gem, and is very high quality metal construction
-The close-up adapter will be nice for shooting watches
-The pancake size makes me consider taking the camera out with me more
-The manual focusing and the focal length are going to change how I approach my shots

Sometimes the 5D seems too "automatic" to me. I generally don't enjoy shooting the 50mm at all, but I own it because it's so cheap and relatively fast glass. It's not about getting the shot framed (backing up to make the 50mm a 40mm), it's about whether or not I can "see" creatively at the 50mm focal length. I don't generally enjoy the process at that focal length.

By comparison, I love shooting the 40mm on my 135 rangefinder, and the 100mm on my 6x9 RF (which has roughly the same FOV as a 40mm for a 135 frame).

This Flickr group has a ton of shots from the lens in question.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/cv40/pool/
Old 24 February 2010, 04:01 PM   #5
DCG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
[QUOTE=TheDude;1673073]Yes, I have several - the Canon 50/1.8, the Nikon 50/1.4, and a Lensbaby Composer (50mm).

Sometimes the 5D seems too "automatic" to me. I generally don't enjoy shooting the 50mm at all, but I own it because it's so cheap and relatively fast glass. It's not about getting the shot framed (backing up to make the 50mm a 40mm), it's about whether or not I can "see" creatively at the 50mm focal length. I don't generally enjoy the process at that focal length.

What Nikon are you using. I am trying to decide between the D700 or the D5 MkII. I don't care for the video just still images.

Bryan
Old 25 February 2010, 05:03 AM   #6
calvinlgoh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206 - 15200
I was also deciding between 5dII and D700. I went with D700 because I was more comfortable with a Nikon body. The placement of the buttons and overall ergonomics seems to fit me better. I had to sell all my Nikon DX bodies and lenses to move to the D700 so I was starting fresh and had only a 50 1.4D that I was carrying over so I could just have easily migrated to Canon. However, after playing around with the 5DII, as good as it is, I could not get used to how it felt.

The video is a wonderful feature that I wish was available on the D700. It may seem to be a novelty at first, but I used it quite often on the D90. I love how I could play with the DOF/manual focusing while filming. Makes for some creative short videos.

If you have a collection of Nikon glasses already, then I'd say go for the D700. If you are starting fresh like me, I would strongly consider the 5DII if it feels right in your hands. Canon's selection of L lenses is second to none. Especially fast primes. Nikon shooters can only dream...

calvinlgoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2010, 05:05 AM   #7
calvinlgoh
"TRF" Member

BTW - the 40mm is one sexy lens!
Old 25 February 2010, 09:04 AM   #8
DCG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinlgoh View Post
I was also deciding between 5dII and D700. I went with D700 because I was more comfortable with a Nikon body. The placement of the buttons and overall ergonomics seems to fit me better. I had to sell all my Nikon DX bodies and lenses to move to the D700 so I was starting fresh and had only a 50 1.4D that I was carrying over so I could just have easily migrated to Canon. However, after playing around with the 5DII, as good as it is, I could not get used to how it felt.

The video is a wonderful feature that I wish was available on the D700. It may seem to be a novelty at first, but I used it quite often on the D90. I love how I could play with the DOF/manual focusing while filming. Makes for some creative short videos.

If you have a collection of Nikon glasses already, then I'd say go for the D700. If you are starting fresh like me, I would strongly consider the 5DII if it feels right in your hands. Canon's selection of L lenses is second to none. Especially fast primes. Nikon shooters can only dream...

Thanks for the input! I am finding this to be a very difficult choice. I am looking for opinions of current users.

I keep coming back to the lens thing and Canon having much more choices and rental shops not carrying many Nikon lenses.
Old 25 February 2010, 11:45 PM   #9
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Well, the lens and focus screen came last night (or rather yesterday - I didn't get a chance to install them until last night). Superb! I will post pics tonight.

My Nikon is an old D70.

The D700 is rumored to be getting an update. There are pics floating around of a "D900". PMA is this week, but so far nothing has been announced. The expectation is that it will be based on the sensor in the new D3S, which would be -FANTASTIC-. Even if there isn't an update announced this week, know that there will eventually be a D700 that gets the D3S's sensor. That would be a phenomenal thing.

The 5DMkII (and Canon DSLRs in general) have much better video capabilities, and some other good technology, but for pure photos, the 12Mpxl Nikon sensors are simply unmatched right now.

I switched to Canon a few years ago (my 5D) because I felt (and still feel) Canon has better full-frame mid-range zoom options than Nikon does.
Old 25 February 2010, 11:53 PM   #10
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
BTW - the 40mm is one sexy lens!
FYI, the lens comes in Nikon mount too!

Get it through Stephen Gandy (cameraquest.com). He is actually the authorized Cosina dealer in the US, -not- Adorama or B&H. He is authorized to support the USA warranty and do official repair work should the lens require it.
Old 26 February 2010, 02:21 AM   #11
OrchidDR
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT GMT II
That's an awesome lense, I've also been looking at it to add to my "collection of glass" for my Canon 7d. It's either that or a nice wide angle - decisions ($$$) decisions ($$$)!
Old 26 February 2010, 04:02 AM   #12
explodingtaco
"TRF" Member

I can see how having a "different" focal length combined with a manual focus can force you to be more creative and put you in a position to make better or at least more interesting shots.

The only reason I went Nikon over Cannon was the ergonomics of the <$1K bodies. When I go full frame I will reevaluate assuming I dont put too much money into glass between now and then. I got to play with a 50D today and it is way nice and it fit my hand very well.
explodingtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2010, 04:05 AM   #13
calvinlgoh
"TRF" Member

That looks awesome!~ Currently have a 50mm Nikon Prime. That will have to do for now...

Enjoy your new lens and remember to post those pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
FYI, the lens comes in Nikon mount too!

Get it through Stephen Gandy (cameraquest.com). He is actually the authorized Cosina dealer in the US, -not- Adorama or B&H. He is authorized to support the USA warranty and do official repair work should the lens require it.
Old 26 February 2010, 04:12 AM   #14
calvinlgoh
"TRF" Member

I was at PMA and could not get the Nikon rep to give me any info on the new D700!!

But I got to play around with a D3/D3S with some very expensive glass mounted. Glass that I could never justify buying.

Great time, but Canon didnt attend this year.

Quote:
Well, the lens and focus screen came last night (or rather yesterday - I didn't get a chance to install them until last night). Superb! I will post pics tonight.

My Nikon is an old D70.

The D700 is rumored to be getting an update. There are pics floating around of a "D900". PMA is this week, but so far nothing has been announced. The expectation is that it will be based on the sensor in the new D3S, which would be -FANTASTIC-. Even if there isn't an update announced this week, know that there will eventually be a D700 that gets the D3S's sensor. That would be a phenomenal thing.

The 5DMkII (and Canon DSLRs in general) have much better video capabilities, and some other good technology, but for pure photos, the 12Mpxl Nikon sensors are simply unmatched right now.

I switched to Canon a few years ago (my 5D) because I felt (and still feel) Canon has better full-frame mid-range zoom options than Nikon does.
Old 26 February 2010, 06:55 AM   #15
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was at PMA and could not get the Nikon rep to give me any info on the new D700!!

But I got to play around with a D3/D3S with some very expensive glass mounted. Glass that I could never justify buying.

Great time, but Canon didnt attend this year.
Yeah, Canon decided to bow out, opting instead to show all their new stuff at CES back in January.
Old 26 February 2010, 06:58 AM   #16
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by explodingtaco View Post
I can see how having a "different" focal length combined with a manual focus can force you to be more creative and put you in a position to make better or at least more interesting shots.

The only reason I went Nikon over Cannon was the ergonomics of the <$1K bodies. When I go full frame I will reevaluate assuming I dont put too much money into glass between now and then. I got to play with a 50D today and it is way nice and it fit my hand very well.
Yeah, about ergonomics... I started with a film body Nikon back in the day, and stuck with them when I went to digital. I bought into the whole "Nikon ergonomics make more sense" group think.

After I got used to the 5D, I now have issues going back to the D70 so I think it's all what you happen to be used to.
Old 26 February 2010, 07:20 AM   #17
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Two for now...

One shot with the close-up attachment. This is the entire frame of the shot, no corrections or adjustments, just an ACR conversion and white balance. I could easily eliminate the slight deep green fringe in the highlight transition at the top of the bezel markers.

Same image but cropped 100%. Remember this was hand-held. ISO800 1/50th sec f4.

Old 26 February 2010, 09:53 AM   #18
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Some low-light focusing... With the new focusing screen, I am able to dial in perfect focus very easily in low light. Situations where AF might "hunt".

Entire frame, focus was on the printed expiration date on the bottle.

100% crop of the area. No sharpening applied.

Old 26 February 2010, 10:11 AM   #19
calvinlgoh
"TRF" Member

double post
Old 26 February 2010, 10:11 AM   #20
calvinlgoh
"TRF" Member

Wow! Thats impressive. Does it work like old film SLR - where the subject is translucent and only become clear when you successfully focus on the subject? I am considering a screen as well but no experience at all with them on digital bodies.

Have you had any experience with Katz-eye products?
Old 26 February 2010, 11:07 AM   #21
DCG
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My Nikon is an old D70.

Great I may wait and see what happens in a few months. Thanks for the info!
Old 26 February 2010, 01:31 PM   #22
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow! Thats impressive. Does it work like old film SLR - where the subject is translucent and only become clear when you successfully focus on the subject? I am considering a screen as well but no experience at all with them on digital bodies.

Have you had any experience with Katz-eye products?
No, but focus snaps in much more distinctly. I could never get manual focus quite right with the standard screen but it's quite easy with the new one.

The Katz-eye screens are pretty pricey, so I stuck with the OEM Canon screen designed for manual focus and macro work. Only $35. There's actually a custom function setting that will adjust the metering so that it's still accurate with the new screen.

The forum posts I have read say that the viewfinder gets dim if you use lenses that are slower than f4, but I don't. So far I haven't felt there has been significant dimming of the viewfinder.
Old 27 February 2010, 12:40 PM   #23
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Very nice small lens Ron!
Is this going to be your walk about kit now?
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 12:53 PM   #24
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
Very nice small lens Ron!
Is this going to be your walk about kit now?
Yes. Exactly that. Too bad the weather is still bad where I am, but soon it will be with me most of the time.

Looking forward to having it for the DC Cherry Blossom Festival, March 27-April 11.

http://www.nationalcherryblossomfest...dex.php?id=390