The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 January 2017, 09:18 AM   #61
TimeToGo
2019 DEEPSEA Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: D.C.
Posts: 15,709
Holy crap..
Some day we will talk about brown inserts on other than gold models..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 09:38 AM   #62
freefly
"TRF" Member
 
freefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Real Name: Eric
Location: AZ
Watch: 4/5digit Subs/GMTs
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Holy crap..
Some day we will talk about brown inserts on other than gold models..
Yep, if/when brown inserts alone start trading hands for five figures, I am sure we will...
freefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 10:01 AM   #63
TimeToGo
2019 DEEPSEA Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: D.C.
Posts: 15,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Yep, if/when brown inserts alone start trading hands for five figures, I am sure we will...
Yeah but on which model, GMT Gilt or... because if it didn't come on those, they should not be fitted on them unless it is disclosed to the buyer or it has an RSC certificate that it came like that from the factory.. That would be a franken watch.. LOL
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 10:24 AM   #64
springer
2019 SKY-DWELLER Giveaway Sponsor
 
springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real Name: jP
Location: Texas
Watch: GMT-MASTER
Posts: 14,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
It's a catch 22....from the sellers end...how would you guarantee 100% original? Parts get swapped/come and go and with Rolex vintage scene's blurry facts...there is no guarantee....just simple supply and demand. It's no secret a good bulk of vintage dealers hype the scene with new nicknames etc...simply marketing imo.
Well...with all this talk about blueberrys, at least we won't be talkig about any of that date wheel minusea for a while.
__________________
"If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play."

Member of NAWCC since 1990.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 10:32 AM   #65
JP Chestnut
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ann Arbor MI
Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Posts: 3,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Yep, if/when brown inserts alone start trading hands for five figures, I am sure we will...
Pooberry GMTs?
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 10:38 AM   #66
TimeToGo
2019 DEEPSEA Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: D.C.
Posts: 15,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Well...with all this talk about blueberrys, at least we won't be talkig about any of that date wheel minusea for a while.
Those are the little details, not five figures..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 10:54 AM   #67
sensui
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
sensui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 10,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Well...with all this talk about blueberrys, at least we won't be talkig about any of that date wheel minusea for a while.
Amen. Thanks for setting me straight on that as well lol.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 11:59 AM   #68
lee fowler
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
lee fowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UK
Watch: Rolex GMT
Posts: 1,963
Well here is one of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1541.jpg (95.9 KB, 525 views)
__________________


Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 08:45 PM   #69
rootbeer7
2019 Pledge Member
 
rootbeer7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: london
Posts: 3,618
The best bit about this hobby is all the conjecture. The only 100% conclusive proof would be an official image from Rolex used for advertising, a statement from their archive or a proven single-owner piece with photos wearing the piece. Anyway I'm enjoying the read.
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2017, 10:27 PM   #70
roh123
"TRF" Member
 
roh123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Real Name: Per
Location: Sweden
Watch: Gilt Rolex
Posts: 2,315
Many rumours about these.. I am certain that the inserts are added for the premium models such as UAE, PAF and radial red hands. No doubt they are mostly added to valuable, mint watches. Sometimes for business and sometimes by collectors just wanting something special. How these actually came to market I don't know but I do know these are found in large quantities. I recall seeing pictures of literally hundreds of these NOS inserts. Story I was told was that they originated and still could be made in Italy by the same factory that supplied them to Rolex to begin with. If true I have no idea but they aren't that rare.

They look good and they are pretty cool. I do however doubt the rarity and when these were actually manufactured.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 01:18 AM   #71
TimeToGo
2019 DEEPSEA Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: D.C.
Posts: 15,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee fowler View Post
Well here is one of mine.
Lee, that's a nice one but I think that one came originally with a Blueberry..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 01:27 AM   #72
Micha
2019 Pledge Member
 
Micha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Real Name: Michael
Location: S.Florida/Ontario
Watch: 6263, 1675
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Many rumours about these.. I am certain that the inserts are added for the premium models such as UAE, PAF and radial red hands. No doubt they are mostly added to valuable, mint watches. Sometimes for business and sometimes by collectors just wanting something special. How these actually came to market I don't know but I do know these are found in large quantities. I recall seeing pictures of literally hundreds of these NOS inserts. Story I was told was that they originated and still could be made in Italy by the same factory that supplied them to Rolex to begin with. If true I have no idea but they aren't that rare.

They look good and they are pretty cool. I do however doubt the rarity and when these were actually manufactured.
where is PADI...Blueberry GMT for 30K...the ultimate hype...
__________________
life is good
Micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 01:57 AM   #73
lee fowler
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
lee fowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UK
Watch: Rolex GMT
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Lee, that's a nice one but I think that one came originally with a Blueberry..
__________________


Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 03:03 AM   #74
JP Chestnut
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ann Arbor MI
Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Posts: 3,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micha View Post
where is PADI...Blueberry GMT for 30K...the ultimate hype...
"so called Blueberry"
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 06:54 AM   #75
freefly
"TRF" Member
 
freefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Real Name: Eric
Location: AZ
Watch: 4/5digit Subs/GMTs
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
Pooberry GMTs?
Ha!
freefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 08:13 AM   #76
Sublovin
2019 Pledge Member
 
Sublovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Watch: Lots
Posts: 3,673
This is quite an interesting thread, and it seems the "Blueberry" is a great example of a sellers market that has gone too far.
I really enjoy learning, reading about, and sometimes purchasing old watches. This Blueberry thing is very similar to the sports memorabilia market. There are just certain things that the collecting public wants to believe are real.
The fact that these are just a collection of authentic parts is fine, but the sales prices would suggest that people feel they are buying something that they aren't, and that's a shame.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 08:26 AM   #77
freefly
"TRF" Member
 
freefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Real Name: Eric
Location: AZ
Watch: 4/5digit Subs/GMTs
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Many rumours about these.. I am certain that the inserts are added for the premium models such as UAE, PAF and radial red hands.
Certain, as in, you have first-hand knowledge? You know for a fact that the UAE and/or PAF models were never spec'd/ordered as such (not being argumentative, just genuinely curious)?
If not, there has to be someone out there that knows the real deal/history on these (not just the rumors). I totally agree that most of the "Blueberry" watches out there are likely just bezel-swaps.

However, as I mentioned above: If we are to accept that genuine/factory Rolex blue bezels exist, then I think we can safely assume that there are 1675s out there that left the factory with blue bezels as original equipment.
Again, I can't think of any other genuine Rolex (watch) part that has been offered solely as an after-sale item.
freefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 08:37 AM   #78
springer
2019 SKY-DWELLER Giveaway Sponsor
 
springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real Name: jP
Location: Texas
Watch: GMT-MASTER
Posts: 14,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Certain, as in, you have first-hand knowledge? You know for a fact that the UAE and/or PAF models were never spec'd/ordered as such (not being argumentative, just genuinely curious)?
If not, there has to be someone out there that knows the real deal/history on these (not just the rumors). I totally agree that most of the "Blueberry" watches out there are likely just bezel-swaps.

However, as I mentioned above: If we are to accept that genuine/factory Rolex blue bezels exist, then I think we can safely assume that there are 1675s out there that left the factory with blue bezels as original equipment.
Again, I can't think of any other genuine Rolex (watch) part that has been offered solely as an after-sale item.
In answer to your highlighted comment above, I can name one part...T-38 crystals!!! I'm sure there were other parts offered after the sale or through the service centers. Happy New Year.
__________________
"If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play."

Member of NAWCC since 1990.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 09:20 AM   #79
freefly
"TRF" Member
 
freefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Real Name: Eric
Location: AZ
Watch: 4/5digit Subs/GMTs
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
In answer to your highlighted comment above, I can name one part...T-38 crystals!!! I'm sure there were other parts offered after the sale or through the service centers. Happy New Year.
AFAIK, the T-38 was offered as a factory option on new watches, at least for a short time.

Happy New Year to you as well!
freefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 09:38 AM   #80
TimeToGo
2019 DEEPSEA Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: D.C.
Posts: 15,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
In answer to your highlighted comment above, I can name one part...T-38 crystals!!! I'm sure there were other parts offered after the sale or through the service centers. Happy New Year.


Partner.. This is going no where..
As the saying goes... You can walk a horse to the water...
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 09:55 AM   #81
springer
2019 SKY-DWELLER Giveaway Sponsor
 
springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real Name: jP
Location: Texas
Watch: GMT-MASTER
Posts: 14,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
AFAIK, the T-38 was offered as a factory option on new watches, at least for a short time.

Happy New Year to you as well!
T-38 is an OPTION yes, but not original equipment. That's what my point was.. . it was after the sale.

Here is a thread with photos from the Rolex R 20 crystal catalog indicating the T-38 is a replacement crystal for the Cyclope 116 - check the last page specifically. http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=487453
__________________
"If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play."

Member of NAWCC since 1990.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 09:56 AM   #82
springer
2019 SKY-DWELLER Giveaway Sponsor
 
springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real Name: jP
Location: Texas
Watch: GMT-MASTER
Posts: 14,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post


Partner.. This is going no where..
As the saying goes... You can walk a horse to the water...
I know Norm. I'm done with this.
__________________
"If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play."

Member of NAWCC since 1990.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 10:01 AM   #83
roh123
"TRF" Member
 
roh123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Real Name: Per
Location: Sweden
Watch: Gilt Rolex
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Certain, as in, you have first-hand knowledge? You know for a fact that the UAE and/or PAF models were never spec'd/ordered as such (not being argumentative, just genuinely curious)?
If not, there has to be someone out there that knows the real deal/history on these (not just the rumors). I totally agree that most of the "Blueberry" watches out there are likely just bezel-swaps.

However, as I mentioned above: If we are to accept that genuine/factory Rolex blue bezels exist, then I think we can safely assume that there are 1675s out there that left the factory with blue bezels as original equipment.
Again, I can't think of any other genuine Rolex (watch) part that has been offered solely as an after-sale item.
Sure. I have seen for what I would guess untouched UAE and PAF watches with time correct pepsi bezels. Of course I can't say so for certain and I would be very interested to hear from original owners of these to know for sure. Thanks for correcting me.

As these inserts have been priced very high for many, many years my gut tells me that they end up on premium pieces rather than normal models. It's fascinating to see all the radial, red hand, all blue bezeled 1675's today knowing the demand which have been for these items. You see more of the part swapping madness if you look at let's say special order Daytonas. Pretty much every PAF 6263 on the market is tropical.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 11:44 AM   #84
freefly
"TRF" Member
 
freefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Real Name: Eric
Location: AZ
Watch: 4/5digit Subs/GMTs
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
T-38 is an OPTION yes, but not original equipment. That's what my point was.. . it was after the sale.
Interesting. I've heard from folks that were original owners that they were options at the time of purchase (along with different bracelet options, etc.).
Obviously it didn't apply to buying an in-stock display piece. So, if it was only something that was available/mentioned for ordered pieces, it may explain the lack of prevalence and/or knowledge of their existence as an original-equipment option.

I have no dog in this fight either way...just curious/interested in hard data over rumor/conjecture.
freefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 12:02 PM   #85
freefly
"TRF" Member
 
freefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Real Name: Eric
Location: AZ
Watch: 4/5digit Subs/GMTs
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Sure. I have seen for what I would guess untouched UAE and PAF watches with time correct pepsi bezels. Of course I can't say so for certain and I would be very interested to hear from original owners of these to know for sure. Thanks for correcting me.
Same here. I have seen examples of UAE/Saudi/PAF 1675s with both Pepsi and the all blue inserts. All of which where represented as untouched/original.

So, it was my understanding that the blue inserts were offered to those entities at some point, but it wasn't the only option/configuration during the entire span of production for said entities.
Of course, that is just a big assumption on my part, and you know what they say about those...
freefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2017, 01:07 AM   #86
Number3
"TRF" Member
 
Number3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: London
Watch: 116610LV, 114060
Posts: 1,425
Interesting thread. There is a 'Blueberry' insert in the for sale section right now for nearly $11,000! That seems crazy if the Blueberry was not an original creation......?
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2017, 01:34 AM   #87
jdog111578
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Real Name: Jason
Location: Connecticut
Watch: Tudor 7016, 94010
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
Interesting thread. There is a 'Blueberry' insert in the for sale section right now for nearly $11,000! That seems crazy if the Blueberry was not an original creation......?
The way I look at is this. Ive never seen proof that they left the factory with said insert. That being said, I think of it as a service replacement bezel that clearly was offered by Rolex, that is not as common as the pepsi etc, and can call for such a premium. Whether or not this "premium" is worth the extra $, thats up to the fool and his/her money.
jdog111578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2017, 03:04 AM   #88
JohnBaker3
2019 Pledge Member
 
JohnBaker3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Real Name: John Baker III
Location: Spring,Texas
Watch: Sub 5513
Posts: 2,109
Just to add to the feeding frenzy, here are 2 photos I found on the internet a couple of years ago...

Obviously, the comments about these inserts being "hoarded" were spot-on...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex GMT Blueberry Inserts 2.0.jpg (162.1 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex GMT Blueberry Inserts 1.0.jpg (141.9 KB, 323 views)
__________________
“Duct tape can't fix stupid, but at least it muffles the sound." Author Unknown
JohnBaker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2017, 09:56 AM   #89
Nikita70
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Florida
Watch: Rolex 16760
Posts: 157
I'd like to have one for my 16760. I know the older GMTs take a different size. Does anyone know if they made them for it?
Nikita70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2019, 04:13 PM   #90
springer
2019 SKY-DWELLER Giveaway Sponsor
 
springer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real Name: jP
Location: Texas
Watch: GMT-MASTER
Posts: 14,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita70 View Post
I'd like to have one for my 16760. I know the older GMTs take a different size. Does anyone know if they made them for it?
No..not for the sapphire models.
__________________
"If the game is rigged, you can't lose if you don't play."

Member of NAWCC since 1990.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1675 , blueberry , gmt


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Banners Of The Month

Banners Of The Month
*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2019, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.