The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 October 2019, 03:21 PM   #1
Richard.b
"TRF" Member

Rootbeer question

I’m seeing some rootbeer with a solid color bezel vs my 2 color bezel? What’s the story on that

Richard B.
Richard.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 09:08 PM   #2
waspy1
Banned

Legend has it that it was an option on two tone pieces to have either the bi colour insert or solid brown. I don’t think you’ll find official Rolex docs showing the solid brown on pieces except for the all gold 1675/8 and 16758. Most of these you see have been added later by buying them separately. Personally I prefer the solid colour look over the bi colour. It’s nice to have options though.

Here’s mine:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 10:24 PM   #3
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Things were different back in the day the AD’s had Rolex’s to sell and would gladly sell you any color bezel you wanted.

Now Rolex would not sell you anything but a bi color insert as they would tell you it is correct for the watch based on the serial number. The solid color inserts were fitted on all gold models.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 04:15 AM   #4
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
From various sources on the Internet, not that you should take it as fact, but several articles have mentioned all brown bezels as the original. The brown and cream two-tone coming later. Here's one of those articles and my watch, which has always had an all brown insert. The article is mostly about the new CHNR but does have a little history.
https://thewatchlounge.com/rolex-gmt...ew-with-price/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch_22s.jpg (166.4 KB, 182 views)
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 10:01 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The two-tone GMT came with the two-tone insert and the solid gold GMT came with a solid color insert. Any deviation from this would be a dealer or owner change.

Also, the article from watch lounge is incorrect when it reads the two-tones were available during the early 1960s. They were not.

Here are a couple of solid color inserts - both owner installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_7938.sm.jpg (90.7 KB, 161 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 10:51 AM   #6
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The two-tone GMT came with the two-tone insert and the solid gold GMT came with a solid color insert. Any deviation from this would be a dealer or owner change.

Also, the article from watch lounge is incorrect when it reads the two-tones were available during the early 1960s. They were not.

Here are a couple of solid color inserts - both owner installed.
As I said, I have seen it mentioned in several articles but at the same time and this is for the OP. I would believe (you) Springer in a second over anything else just about anybody on this forum, or anywhere else, has to say regarding vintage GMTs.
On another note, I know for a fact that my father always wanted a full gold GMT. When he was living in Hawaii, he was offered a gold Rolex from a questionable guy who was more of a beach bum, he paid $50. It was only the head of the watch with a cracked crystal and no bracelet. he got it repaired and put it on a leather strap. He eventually sold it, for what reason, I will have to ask him next time I see him. Either way, he sold it. Fast forward to early 70s and he purchased the watch I posted. I can definitely see him requesting the all brown insert because the gall gold version had it and whenever we talk about Rolex he always mentions it, the gold one. I did ask him specifically about the insert and a number of other things. He's forgotten most of the answers to those questions, unfortunately. Only thing I got for sure was that he purchased the TT above after divorcing my Mom. Good times!
This too has been a question of mine, thanks for clarifying Springer!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 08:26 AM   #7
Richard.b
"TRF" Member

Great stuff. Thank you for input. I have the jubilee band on the watch currently.

Richard B.
Richard.b is offline   Reply With Quote