The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 January 2019, 06:39 AM   #91
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Alright I've been saying I'd do this but putting it off....but finally got around to it. Here are some side by side shots between the Gemini IV and the Tokyo Olympic blue reverse panda:

The blue (hard to tell in the pictures because the tint is so slight) is lighter side by side from the Gemini IV IMO. The new dial is deeper and IMO much more balanced in terms of the indices utilized on the stepped dial. Also the red font is perfectly done/clean on the Tokyo dial versus the extraneous date on the Gemini IV.....top off the cherry with the new adjustable clasp/bracelet on the Tokyo version and it's easy to see why I like the new watch better.

Here are some comparisons between the White/Black Panda versus the Apollo XI 35th Anniversary also while I'm at it:

The white is definitely more subdued on the Apollo watch...more of a cream color....but it could be the aging of the dial....hard to say. Once again all the advantages I spoke of applies above and I like the Tokyo version better.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 06:57 AM   #92
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Alright I've been saying I'd do this but putting it off....but finally got around to it. Here are some side by side shots between the Gemini IV and the Tokyo Olympic blue reverse panda:

The blue (hard to tell in the pictures because the tint is so slight) is lighter side by side from the Gemini IV IMO. The new dial is deeper and IMO much more balanced in terms of the indices utilized on the stepped dial. Also the red font is perfectly done/clean on the Tokyo dial versus the extraneous date on the Gemini IV.....top off the cherry with the new adjustable clasp/bracelet on the Tokyo version and it's easy to see why I like the new watch better.

Here are some comparisons between the White/Black Panda versus the Apollo XI 35th Anniversary also while I'm at it:

The white is definitely more subdued on the Apollo watch...more of a cream color....but it could be the aging of the dial....hard to say. Once again all the advantages I spoke of applies above and I like the Tokyo version better.
Looks great - I’ll go new school
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 07:13 AM   #93
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Great pics!!! They look very similiar.
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 09:50 AM   #94
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:

Thank you! This is very neat to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 02:37 AM   #95
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
I just picked up the white Panda dial. Lovely watch
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 04:41 AM   #96
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I was just offered the white by my AD. It was tough to do, but I told them I had to pass.

I wish funds were greater. I just can't justify it right now. it is truly a wonderful watch.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 06:11 AM   #97
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I recently picked up the red one and I had no interest till I saw it in person......man it is quite a watch. It's the most dimensional one out of the entire series IMO because that powdery silver dial plays with shadows so well in different lights.

Old 18 September 2019, 06:50 AM   #98
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I recently picked up the red one and I had no interest till I saw it in person......man it is quite a watch. It's the most dimensional one out of the entire series IMO because that powdery silver dial plays with shadows so well in different lights.

Great pick up I still am yet to see one of these Speedies out in the wild.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 06:58 AM   #99
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:

Nice score! I agree that when I saw this in person I thought it has the nicest dial out of all of them. Unfortunately, it was just there to try on but they didn't have any stock. I ended up with the black and gold but I would pick this red over the panda.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 10:36 AM   #100
ROLEXUS
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Lucky man. The red bezel 'rising sun' speedmaster is spectacular in person. Pretty much impossible to find in Japan without going on a wait list or paying over retail at a grey.
ROLEXUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 01:59 PM   #101
russ86
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You bought it here in the states or from international seller?
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 02:09 PM   #102
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Nice watches.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 02:26 PM   #103
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan1987 View Post
You bought it here in the states or from international seller?
I was in Japan.
Old 28 October 2019, 07:54 PM   #104
donald83
"TRF" Member

Does anybody think that these will be collectibles in the future and worth getting one now?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
donald83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 11:18 PM   #105
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald83 View Post
Does anybody think that these will be collectibles in the future and worth getting one now?

I think so. That's just my thoughts. The Japanese love their speedmasters.
Old 29 October 2019, 12:45 AM   #106
Sportsnerdy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald83 View Post

For sure. I am currently in tokyo but all pandas are sold out and allocated for.
Sportsnerdy is offline   Reply With Quote