The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 April 2017, 09:40 AM   #1861
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Simply...The Wine Thread

Marc, wanted to share bourbon with you in Vegas . You(and dP, and Manny)created a monster!

Not bad for a Thursday!

G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2017, 09:46 AM   #1862
encarter13
"TRF" Member

A friend of mine started a winery a few years back. I am not a white wine guy, but I love his Traminette. If you ever see a bottle of wine from Noble Wine Cellar, make sure to pick it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 April 2017, 12:47 AM   #1863
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RDPM View Post
Marc, wanted to share bourbon with you in Vegas . You(and dP, and Manny)created a monster!

Not bad for a Thursday!

Sorry to have missed it!! Glad you all had fun, surprised there were no booze pics from Vegas though? what gives?
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 07:32 AM   #1864
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Today's choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.1 KB, 113 views)
TRF #139960
RichM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 02:03 PM   #1865
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Simply...The Wine Thread

Picked up three different red blends at the Wife's request today. These were recommended at a local wine shop. Trying the Abstract tonight with a steak...

I would recommend it if you like blends and lighter reds. Price point is around $35 a bottle.

Orin Swift Abstract 2015

A gorgeous new California red wine gem from a gifted and fast-rising winemaker, Dave Phinney. Owner of Orin Swift Cellars, Dave Phinney has come a long way since beginning his winemaking career with 2 tons of purchased Zinfandel grapes just a year out of college in 1998! Following big successes with wines such as Papillon and The Prisoner, Phinney launched the Abstract label with the 2009 vintage. Abstract came out of Dave's love of Grenache and a desire to make a blend using that varietal as the focal point. The wine has an inky concentration rounded out with Petite Sirah and Syrah. Phinney recently purchased 48 acres of land in the hills above Oakville and hopes one day to build a winery there. Robert Parker rated the 2013 Abstract 94 points. We're anxious to see his score on the 2015!

Orin Swift Abstract is a blend of Grenache, Petite Sirah, and Syrah from Napa, Sonoma, and Mendocino Counties, primarily from hillside vineyards. Opaque and purple to the rim of the glass, an elevated display of aromatics is immediately present. Fragrant dark fruits, spring flowers, violet, and hint of garrigue greet the nose and tempt added review. Extraordinary freshness is present upon entry leading to lush flavors of sweet boysenberries, kirsch, licorice, dark cherries, and exotic floral notes. The palate is thoroughly treated and left with a finish of bright acidity and round tannins, which exist in seamless balance. Aged 10 months in a combination of new and seasoned French oak, 30% new. 15.7% alc.

Enjoy Orin Swift Abstract with steak, roast pork, grilled chicken, BBQ ribs, grilled vegetables and aged cheeses.

Winemaker's Notes

As soon as a glass is poured, aromatic notes of Luxardo cherries, ripe black plums and raspberries billow, with intricate hints of coffee, mocha and caramel in the background. The entry is expansive with dark briar fruits, cola and cocoa with tannins that are soft and dusty. The wine finishes with a hint of wild cherry and a lingering sweet oak presence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100520.JPG (239.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg P1100522.JPG (243.3 KB, 110 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 02:07 PM   #1866
BNA/LION

Simply...The Wine Thread

Quote:
Marc, wanted to share bourbon with you in Vegas . You(and dP, and Manny)created a monster! Not bad for a Thursday
NICE! Love the Nickel & Nickel and Far Niente! We received our wine club shipment for the month a few days ago. Can't wait to try the 2009.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100516.jpg (102.7 KB, 109 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Old 29 April 2017, 11:23 PM   #1867
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
well this was too young but my god what a monster!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qu.jpg (65.1 KB, 103 views)
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 11:32 PM   #1868
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I must admit that red wine gives me a headache straight away so I drink white with all my meals, this may be sacrilege but there ya go. I also prefer "off dry" (another faux pas possibly) I quite like New Zealand Riesling (Framingham or Pegasus Bay) I also like Gewürztraminer. I may not have the most sophisticated pallet but enjoy these. Does anyone have any other recommendations for me to try please?

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2017, 09:02 AM   #1869
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
well this was too young but my god what a monster!!

What a GREAT bottle right there!!

I agree it needs another 5 years at least!! I opened up one last May -- so much potential.

I have several 07s and have opened a couple and they are spectacular!!!!

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2017, 09:04 AM   #1870
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNALION View Post
NICE! Love the Nickel & Nickel and Far Niente! We received our wine club shipment for the month a few days ago. Can't wait to try the 2009.

That 09 is quite nice. Enjoy my friend!!

Any Dragonfly vineyard?

Old 30 April 2017, 09:08 AM   #1871
RHIII

Quote:
Picked up three different red blends at the Wife's request today. These were recommended at a local wine shop. Trying the Abstract tonight with a steak...

I would recommend it if you like blends and lighter reds. Price point is around $35 a bottle.

Orin Swift Abstract 2015

A gorgeous new California red wine gem from a gifted and fast-rising winemaker, Dave Phinney. Owner of Orin Swift Cellars, Dave Phinney has come a long way since beginning his winemaking career with 2 tons of purchased Zinfandel grapes just a year out of college in 1998! Following big successes with wines such as Papillon and The Prisoner, Phinney launched the Abstract label with the 2009 vintage. Abstract came out of Dave's love of Grenache and a desire to make a blend using that varietal as the focal point. The wine has an inky concentration rounded out with Petite Sirah and Syrah. Phinney recently purchased 48 acres of land in the hills above Oakville and hopes one day to build a winery there. Robert Parker rated the 2013 Abstract 94 points. We're anxious to see his score on the 2015!

Orin Swift Abstract is a blend of Grenache, Petite Sirah, and Syrah from Napa, Sonoma, and Mendocino Counties, primarily from hillside vineyards. Opaque and purple to the rim of the glass, an elevated display of aromatics is immediately present. Fragrant dark fruits, spring flowers, violet, and hint of garrigue greet the nose and tempt added review. Extraordinary freshness is present upon entry leading to lush flavors of sweet boysenberries, kirsch, licorice, dark cherries, and exotic floral notes. The palate is thoroughly treated and left with a finish of bright acidity and round tannins, which exist in seamless balance. Aged 10 months in a combination of new and seasoned French oak, 30% new. 15.7% alc.

Enjoy Orin Swift Abstract with steak, roast pork, grilled chicken, BBQ ribs, grilled vegetables and aged cheeses.

Winemaker's Notes

As soon as a glass is poured, aromatic notes of Luxardo cherries, ripe black plums and raspberries billow, with intricate hints of coffee, mocha and caramel in the background. The entry is expansive with dark briar fruits, cola and cocoa with tannins that are soft and dusty. The wine finishes with a hint of wild cherry and a lingering sweet oak presence.

Abstract is a great wine for that particular price point.

Only thing I've found is that the finish can be a little harsh...the nose - and beginning and mid palate are quite nice.

Try their Mercury Head if you have a chance.

Old 30 April 2017, 09:23 AM   #1872
RHIII

Quote:

Orin Swift Abstract 2015

Winemaker's Notes

Only thing I've found is that the finish can be a little harsh...the nose - and beginning and mid palate are quite nice.

Old 6 May 2017, 06:49 AM   #1873
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
In Florida for a boys weekend and opened the in laws wine fridge. These any good?

Old 6 May 2017, 07:52 AM   #1874
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Clark 1984 Cask 23 is auction bottle going from 225-350.. check the neck fill and see if it's lower then it should be, if it's ok decant for 45 to an hour..

88 Caymus will just ok compare to the cask 23 normally
Old 6 May 2017, 08:12 AM   #1875
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Old 6 May 2017, 08:40 AM   #1876
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

That's a great picture of a 30+ year old wine with base neck to top neck ullage. Shows it has been well maintained and little to no evaporation through the cork. Of course I wasn't there when filled but I doubt it was much higher.

Overall for a bottle 30+ indications of top shoulder, very top shoulder, or base neck or higher is very excellent for that age.

I'll try to post an illustration of neck fill

I think if that bottle was stored properly it's going to be fantastic and I wish I was there to have a dram
Old 6 May 2017, 08:57 AM   #1877
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
That's a great picture of a 30+ year old wine with base neck to top neck ullage. Shows it has been well maintained and little to no evaporation through the cork. Of course I wasn't there when filled but I doubt it was much higher.

Overall for a bottle 30+ indications of top shoulder, very top shoulder, or base neck or higher is very excellent for that age.

I'll try to post an illustration of neck fill

I think if that bottle was stored properly it's going to be fantastic and I wish I was there to have a dram
Thank you Mark!
Wish you were here too, you're a wealth of information
Old 6 May 2017, 09:34 AM   #1878
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Simply...The Wine Thread

Your welcome

Upon future review and putting on my glasses

I think that's dropped down between 1-2cm which is fine and especially on an older bottle. So yours was probably between base and mid neck and now it's for sure base neck.

Some bottles 50-100 years old are way below the neck as evaporation and normal loss happens. Remember a cork does breathe. I've seen them mid to low shoulder on 80-100 year old Bordeaux and and tasted like silky smooth.

The reason they don't fill the bottle up entirely is so expansion occurs naturally due to temperature variation and movements during its lifetime.

Here's a pic of what happens to wine over periods of time

Post tastings review please

Old 6 May 2017, 09:49 AM   #1879
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Quote:
Your welcome

Upon future review and putting on my glasses

I think that's dropped down between 1-2cm which is fine and especially on an older bottle. So yours was probably between base and mid neck and now it's for sure base neck.

Some bottles 50-100 years old are way below the neck as evaporation and normal loss happens. Remember a cork does breathe. I've seen them mid to low shoulder on 80-100 year old Bordeaux and and tasted like silky smooth.

The reason they don't fill the bottle up entirely is so expansion occurs naturally due to temperature variation and movements during its lifetime.

Here's a pic of what happens to wine over periods of time

Post tastings review please

Mark, amazing amount of info! I know I have learned much from you! Great couple of posts.

Old 6 May 2017, 12:19 PM   #1880
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
Mark, amazing amount of info! I know I have learned much from you! Great couple of posts.

You are a special person, I've met some really good guys on here

This I'm having tonight and so good, I served the 2010 Gott at my wedding and forgot how good it was, I'm shocked the 2014 is this good right out of the bottle and so soon after bottling. What a great 3 years in NAPA 2012-2014 just crazy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1623.jpg (63.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 6 May 2017, 12:22 PM   #1881
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Great info, thanks Mark
I've had a lot of the 815, a great value, enjoy!
Old 8 May 2017, 10:02 AM   #1882
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
I had this one last night with a nice 28 day aged USDA Prime bone-in rib eye.

teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 10:06 AM   #1883
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post

Wow!
Must have been a great night. Great cow and wine!
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 10:12 AM   #1884
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Quote:
You are a special person, I've met some really good guys on here

This I'm having tonight and so good, I served the 2010 Gott at my wedding and forgot how good it was, I'm shocked the 2014 is this good right out of the bottle and so soon after bottling. What a great 3 years in NAPA 2012-2014 just crazy
WOW! Now I feel special!!!! Had this a few days ago!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 7.11.09 PM.jpg (18.9 KB, 57 views)
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 10:26 AM   #1885
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Quote:
Wow!
Must have been a great night. Great cow and wine!
Yes Sir, it was a great night. We just finished the leftovers of the cow and still yummy. The wine was gone last night!
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 12:15 PM   #1886
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
WOW! Now I feel special!!!! Had this a few days ago!!!!!!
😜😜😜😜😜

Quote:
Yes Sir, it was a great night. We just finished the leftovers of the cow and still yummy. The wine was gone last night!
Nice Phil, we'll see you in Las Vegas I hope !!
Old 8 May 2017, 12:20 PM   #1887
BNA/LION

Simply...The Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
That 09 is quite nice. Enjoy my friend!!

Any Dragonfly vineyard?
None in the wine vault right now but there will be again!
I guess Now is the time to Drink the 2009?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post

I agree with you on the finish... I'll look for Mercury Head. Thanks!

Old 8 May 2017, 12:23 PM   #1888
RHIII

Quote:
None in the wine vault right now but there will be again!

I guess Now is the time to Drink the 2009?

I agree with you on the finish... I'll look for Mercury Head. Thanks!

Old 8 May 2017, 12:28 PM   #1889
RHIII

Quote:

Awesome!! I bet that was spectacular!!!

Old 8 May 2017, 12:54 PM   #1890
BNA/LION

Simply...The Wine Thread

I had a Wine tasting for about 20 people last week. It was a Hit! 3 different wines large pours and lots of additional drinking, eating and great conversation.

Sebastiani Gravel Bed Red Blend 2014
Bordeaux Red Blends from Sonoma County, California ($35-$40 /btl)

The 2014 Gravel Bed Red is dark purplish to ruby in color. Its nose is swarming with Cabernet spice, currant, black cherries, coconut wood aromatics and hints of black tea. The flavor is fruit forward with delicious blackberries followed by raspberry, underbrush tones, and dried leaves. The finish has great acidity and tannins which helps reign in the generous fruit afforded by a riper season. 67% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Merlot, 12% Malbec, 3% Petit Verdot

The 2013 Sebastiani Gravel Bed Red went on to receive a near perfect 97 Point Score from Robert Parker. Robert Parker’s recent article which focused primarily on Sonoma wines indicates that 2014 may even be slightly superior to 2013 for Sonoma Valley. With fruit sourced from famed sites, such as the iconic Cherryblock Vineyard, Bedrock and Mountain Terraces.

Food matches for Red Blends include:
• Roasted Pork Lion
• Veal Parmesan
• Hamburgers
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2013 FROSTWATCH MERLOT 100% Merlot
Sonoma County, CA

Aged for 18 months in French oak barrels, this wine further elevated from more than 18 months developing inside the bottle. ($30-$35 /btl)

Robert Parker of the Wine Advocate tasted the 2013 vintage and in March 2016 scored it at 94 points. This Merlot has an impressive opaque purple color and offers a big blast of fudge and black chocolate along with a dense cherry and blackberry fruit. Unctuously textured, full bodied and rather classic for Merlot, this has a super concentrated style that one rarely sees these days.

Food matches for Cabernet Sauvignon include:
• Spaghetti and meatballs
• Seared - even blackened – salmon
• Braised short ribs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2013 Flat Rock Laird Cabernet Sauvignon
Yountville, Napa, California ($70-$75 /btl)

Yountville lies partway between Napa town and the village of St Helena. Yountville is surrounded by some of Napa's most famous sub-regions: to the north lies Oakville, to the west Mount Veeder and to the east Stags Leap.

The 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Flat Rock Ranch, from another Yountville site, is softer than the Mast Ranch, with sweet tannin, dense purple color, plenty of crème de cassis, blackberry and blueberry. There is a nice ­oral element as well, and the wine finishes full, rich and impressive. Give it 3-4 years of cellaring and drink it over the following two decades.

Food matches for Cabernet Sauvignon include:
• Fillet steak with foie gras and truffles
• Beef wellington with honey roasted carrots
• Korean-style beef stir fried in garlic, soy and sesame
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170426_141225814_HDR.jpg (111.8 KB, 54 views)