The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 19 March 2017, 12:45 PM   #1
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Panerai Confusion

I was thinking of maybe going off the Rolex path for my second luxury watch. I have a 114060 and was thinking something with a leather strap, with a date and the cool guard thing on the crown ;)

however I cannot make heads or tales of the little intricacies. The "collections" seem straight forward enough kind of, looks like a luminor is what I see alot that I like, but then I go into that collection and there is like 50 variations!

Looking at the Pam00048 as it checks all the boxes, is there another model that would better suite me? I am looking for something a little unique if possible but not so off the beaten path that it is an acquired taste.

7.5" wrist btw and the 114060 is the perfect fit

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 12:58 PM   #2
dimag333
"TRF" Member

also after looking a bit I love the sliding feature of the Panerai 270/311 ect but out of my price range, like to stick around 5K ish

all this is based on looks

steve
Old 19 March 2017, 01:03 PM   #3
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
Looking at the Pam00048 as it checks all the boxes, is there another model that would better suite me? I am looking for something a little unique if possible but not so off the beaten path that it is an acquired taste.

7.5" wrist btw and the 114060 is the perfect fit

The PAM048 is a 40mm Luminor automatic with date and small seconds which was produced from 1999 to 2010. In my opinion, with a 22mm lug width and being quite thick, the small Panerai's look a bit odd on a strap and much better on a bracelet. That particular model, however, came with a strap from the factory.

I own a PAM069 that is similar to the 040, and a SubC too, and I think they complement each other in my collection. I have a 6.5 inch wrist. However, again in my opinion, width is not really an issue with Panerai Luminors, as the are quite squat lug to lug, so I have also comfortably worn a 44mm Luminor base. I suggest with your thicker wrist, you might want to consider one of that size too. If you want something a bit unique, look at one with a non-black dial: brown, tobacco and some blues can look great.

arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 01:07 PM   #4
dimag333
"TRF" Member

I was thinking of a chocolate dial. Or something of the like. That 069 looks sweet!

steve
Old 19 March 2017, 01:22 PM   #5
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
go and try some on....probably the best way to get the feel of what you'd like regarding size, case etc....

good luck on your quest

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 01:40 PM   #6
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
go and try some on....probably the best way to get the feel of what you'd like regarding size, case etc....

good luck on your quest
yeah I don't have the time to head to the city, wonder if there is somewhere decent in NJ to see them? Leonardo?

steve
Old 19 March 2017, 01:51 PM   #7
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
yeah I don't have the time to head to the city, wonder if there is somewhere decent in NJ to see them? Leonardo?

steve
I'm sure there are places that have panerai's where you live. it will be worth your time.

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 01:55 PM   #8
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
I'm sure there are places that have panerai's where you live. it will be worth your time.
I know, I know, I made the same mistake when I went thought a several seamasters, 116610, First on the Moon, EXPII and wound up with a casio for 2 years, oh yeah then an aquatimer too. Everytime I got a watch I thought back to trying on the 114060 and how it felt right, now I have one for good!

steve
Old 19 March 2017, 02:42 PM   #9
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Just found a picture of my PAM116 on my wrist. It's a 44mm Luminor Base with a tobacco dial and an exhibition case back from the same era as the 069. Thought you might like to see the comparison. Of course, they are terrible close up wrist shots, so the watches look bigger than they are.

arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 03:35 PM   #10
Vbmrk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

steve
Where in NJ are you? There's an AD in Short Hills Mall that usually has a large variety for you to to try. If you're closer to NYC you can always go to the AD in midtown and spend hours trying on different types.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Vbmrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 06:55 PM   #11
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Device that protects the crown + chocolate dial + under 5k?

Look for a 116 (2 hands) or 118 (3 hands).

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2017, 12:00 AM   #12
dimag333
"TRF" Member

thanks everyone!

steve
Old 20 March 2017, 01:01 AM   #13
dimag333
"TRF" Member

So what about this one? I'm thinking don"t need date as I will only wear this, not sure why the link says 31mm

https://www.truefacet.com/rolex-date...ens-watch.html

Also really like this one

https://www.truefacet.com/limited-un...watch-b-p.html

steve
Old 20 March 2017, 01:39 AM   #14
Vbmrk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So what about this one? I'm thinking don"t need date as I will only wear this, not sure why the link says 31mm

https://www.truefacet.com/rolex-date...ens-watch.html

Also really like this one

https://www.truefacet.com/limited-un...watch-b-p.html

steve
Both are solid choices, but neither is chocolate/tobacco dial and both are 44mm. Have you checked out the 351? Also 44mm but has the dial color (I think) you want.
Old 20 March 2017, 01:56 AM   #15
dimag333
"TRF" Member

I know, in all over the place, trying to go on gut and end up with black dials, I think because I like a tan band. Will check that reference now!

steve
Old 20 March 2017, 02:55 AM   #16
gav329
"TRF" Member

Quote:

steve

I don't mean this to sound cheeky and please don't take it that way but I think you need to make the time to go to the city. I'm not from USA but I'm assuming being in NJ you're talking about not going to New York? I think with a major investment like a good watch you need to go and take time to try different ones on as you know they look one way in pictures and website yet different when in the flesh or on your wrist more importantly.

Best wishes Steve in your conquest, I would love a panerai too and yes I get confused with all the variations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gav329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2017, 03:43 AM   #17
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav329 View Post
I don't mean this to sound cheeky and please don't take it that way but I think you need to make the time to go to the city. I'm not from USA but I'm assuming being in NJ you're talking about not going to New York? I think with a major investment like a good watch you need to go and take time to try different ones on as you know they look one way in pictures and website yet different when in the flesh or on your wrist more importantly.

Best wishes Steve in your conquest, I would love a panerai too and yes I get confused with all the variations.

Yeah don't want to drive in, it's such a pain, maybe shoot up to short hills mall. I feel bad wasting the sales people time as there is very little lkelyhood I would buy from them when I can buy from a seller here, for less, without tax

steve
Old 20 March 2017, 03:46 AM   #18
gav329
"TRF" Member

It famous for being such a huge city I get you Steve. As long as you have a mall nearby then get time to really check out the watches. Don't worry about wasting their time some sales folk love showing the watches to prospective buyers don't worry about that. Go and enjoy trying them on. Best of luck.

Gavin

gav329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2017, 05:15 AM   #19
Culley22
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
You sound just like me from about a month ago. I went with the 372, as I wanted the black dial because i too want the tan strap look. One thing I'll say: get the date feature. That's one thing that I NOW look back and wish I had gotten.

I too got the "go try them on" advice, but I live up by the arctic cirlce and the nearest dealer isn't in my State...so...that wasn't happening. I knew what i wanted, and it sounds like you do too, find the one that checks your boxes and get it, you'll like it, this I can assure you. But I would get the date.
Old 20 March 2017, 05:42 AM   #20
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culley22 View Post
You sound just like me from about a month ago. I went with the 372, as I wanted the black dial because i too want the tan strap look. One thing I'll say: get the date feature. That's one thing that I NOW look back and wish I had gotten.

I too got the "go try them on" advice, but I live up by the arctic cirlce and the nearest dealer isn't in my State...so...that wasn't happening. I knew what i wanted, and it sounds like you do too, find the one that checks your boxes and get it, you'll like it, this I can assure you. But I would get the date.
that watch is a awesome! 47mm is gonna be pretty big on me though, this wont be a daily wearer

steve
Old 20 March 2017, 06:10 AM   #21
Culley22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
that watch is a awesome! 47mm is gonna be pretty big on me though, this wont be a daily wearer

steve
Nah, I'm not saying go with the 372 as I did. I used that as an example (i wasn't quite sure which one I wanted), but I knew I wanted the sandwich dial and black dial (mulled over a few with the tobacco colored dial), but ended up going with the 372 (and I love it), but if I had to do it all over again I'd have gotten a model with the date feature. Didn't think it would matter to me, and day one I found myself looking down to see what today was and it wasn't there.

I too like the watch guard (so it'll have to be a Luminor), and your situation sounded just like mine. You don't think you "need" the date...but I'm saying you'll miss it if you don't have it. I'm already looking for another Luminor 47mm with the date function (but don't want a submersible model).
Old 20 March 2017, 08:01 AM   #22
MBTRM
"TRF" Member

To add some confusion to the conversation, another (very) new Panerai owner here.

While I do appreciate the date function and my other 2 watches do have dates (which I use regularly), for me, the clean dial without date cutout is really beautiful on its own. I have caught myself looking for the date more than once, but am happy to take out my phone to check in order to keep that dial with 3,6,9, and 12. Just my 0.02
MBTRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2017, 08:21 AM   #23
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Any with a 7 1/2" wrist care to share some 44mm pics?

steve
Old 20 March 2017, 09:20 AM   #24
Culley22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTRM View Post
To add some confusion to the conversation, another (very) new Panerai owner here.

While I do appreciate the date function and my other 2 watches do have dates (which I use regularly), for me, the clean dial without date cutout is really beautiful on its own. I have caught myself looking for the date more than once, but am happy to take out my phone to check in order to keep that dial with 3,6,9, and 12. Just my 0.02
Hahahaha!!! Both my other watches have the date function, and I never realized how much I used it until this one. It isn't a "big deal" to look elsewhere but its been enough for me to notice. Funny you mention the clean dial with 3,6,9,12 on it. That's EXACTLY why i went with the 372. I was going back and forth on the second hand, and didn't want to sacrifice my #9. Hahahaha

This is so funny to hear others have the same thought process on some of this stuff.

Any way you do it, I think you'll be happy!!
Old 20 March 2017, 10:08 AM   #25
MBTRM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hahahaha!!! Both my other watches have the date function, and I never realized how much I used it until this one. It isn't a "big deal" to look elsewhere but its been enough for me to notice. Funny you mention the clean dial with 3,6,9,12 on it. That's EXACTLY why i went with the 372. I was going back and forth on the second hand, and didn't want to sacrifice my #9. Hahahaha

This is so funny to hear others have the same thought process on some of this stuff.

I agree with Culley, the more I look at Panerai the more I consider breaking my 1 watch per brand approach. There are many many great watches to choose from.

One reason I chose the 572 is bc I was able to have all the numbers and a small seconds, plus big fan of the 1940s case.
Old 20 March 2017, 10:30 AM   #26
MBTRM
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Culley, yes there are others out there who were considering the same thing. From my limited time following Panerai, i can already see that if we share one characteristic across the forums, it is being pretty detail oriented (even more so than the standard WIS). One reason I picked up the 572 is bc I could get the 3,6,9,12 and a small seconds.

And I agree, you can't go wrong with most of the Panerai models out there. Some beautiful watches.
Old 20 March 2017, 11:55 AM   #27
Vbmrk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah don't want to drive in, it's such a pain, maybe shoot up to short hills mall. I feel bad wasting the sales people time as there is very little lkelyhood I would buy from them when I can buy from a seller here, for less, without tax

steve
The guys at Sidney Thomas at Short Hills Mall are great and you don't have to worry about wasting their time. This is what they do. Besides, you never know, they might end up throwing you a price you can live with. I've been in there numerous times just to try on a few without purchasing.

But like everyone is saying, it's too big a purchase to do without trying on. It's not like you live by the arctic circle like some here.
Old 20 March 2017, 11:58 AM   #28
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbmrk View Post
The guys at Sidney Thomas at Short Hills Mall are great and you don't have to worry about wasting their time. This is what they do. Besides, you never know, they might end up throwing you a price you can live with. I've been in there numerous times just to try on a few without purchasing.

But like everyone is saying, it's too big a purchase to do without trying on. It's not like you live by the arctic circle like some here.
yeah I should go up there, I was up at a golf club for a walk though a couple weeks ago and it's only 45 minutes or so for me, that stretch of the parkway just sucks sooooo bad! lol

Everything could change tomorrow I guess!

steve
Old 20 March 2017, 01:52 PM   #29
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:

steve
NJT to Penn Station, E train to 5th Ave/52nd Street. Boom! You're in the middle of watch heaven.

Shop around, try on a bunch of watches, have a nice dinner in the city and then head home secure in your decision that you know exactly what model you want. No driving necessary!
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2017, 11:05 PM   #30
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
NJT to Penn Station, E train to 5th Ave/52nd Street. Boom! You're in the middle of watch heaven.

Shop around, try on a bunch of watches, have a nice dinner in the city and then head home secure in your decision that you know exactly what model you want. No driving necessary!
We literally just did that to visit the MOMA like 2 weeks ago, wanted to stop in the Rolex Shop but didn't, was a long day!

Maybe I can mask the trip by going to the MET lol

steve