The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 March 2009, 03:01 AM   #1
ndane
"TRF" Member

question about new subs

does the advent of the new subs means that the original 16610 and 16613 are going to be discontinued? i don't know about you guys but i don't care too much for the case on the new subs.
ndane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 03:03 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndane View Post
does the advent of the new subs means that the original 16610 and 16613 are going to be discontinued? i don't know about you guys but i don't care too much for the case on the new subs.
Just wait till you hear the NEW prices??!!!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 03:03 AM   #3
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
16610 will continue as the 116610 hasn't been launched yet, as far as I know. As for the 16613, there'll be a transition period before it gets withdrawn. Rolex will probably supply them for about another 12 months to use up their stock of cases.
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 03:04 AM   #4
seantk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
16613 - probably, 16610 - eventually.

An updated stainless steel sub was not introduced this year at Basel. In fact both 16610 and 16610LV were both on display at Basel

Sean
seantk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 03:04 AM   #5
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Just wait till you hear the NEW prices??!!!!!
make that 2...
Old 26 March 2009, 03:05 AM   #6
ndane
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
16610 will continue as the 116610 hasn't been launched yet, as far as I know. As for the 16613, there'll be a transition period before it gets withdrawn. Rolex will probably supply them for about another 12 months to use up their stock of cases.
116610? i'm a nub, so i've never heard of it. is that really going to be released?
Old 26 March 2009, 03:06 AM   #7
seantk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
116610? i'm a nub, so i've never heard of it. is that really going to be released?
Yes - Probably next year at Basel

sean
Old 26 March 2009, 03:06 AM   #8
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, that's presumably the eventual reference for the new SS Sub. Wait til next year's Baselworld for that
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 03:07 AM   #9
ndane
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantk View Post
Yes - Probably next year at Basel

sean
any info on what the updates on it will be?
Old 26 March 2009, 03:09 AM   #10
seantk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
any info on what the updates on it will be?
Same as the past 2 years with the gold subs and now the two-tone subs. Look for Maxi dial with blue lume. Wider lugs, improved bracelet with the glidelock clasp and of course - a ceramic bezel

Sean
Old 26 March 2009, 03:10 AM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Well, that's presumably the eventual reference for the new SS Sub. Wait til next year's Baselworld for that
Yes, and with another THREE price increase between NOW and THEN, I literally shudder to think of what the price on the new updated 116610 is going to be!!!

Guys.....some advice.

Just hang on to your current SS Sub-dates - or buy one if you get the chance. You might remember these words next year at the same time.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 03:15 AM   #12
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
The cases are the same as the 16610, so the real "use-up period" will be for the existing bracelets, dials, date-wheels and bezels.

JJ's right. If you want a SS Submariner Date, buy one now. Someone on TRF has a D-series for under $3,400 at the moment, if I had the cash, I'd buy it!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 03:50 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Dont know why you guys call it a new sub its just a tarted up old one if it comes out.Ceramic bezel or slightly larger case different clasp etc if it does happen are purely cosmetic changes, and in my book don't make a new sub.A new sub IMHO is a totally new design totally new dial, case style and fonts, different hands plus a totally new complete movement and bracelet then you could call it a new Sub.Fact since 1988/9 the sub has changed very little SEL bracelet non lug hole case and a few other very minor font details and thats it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 04:01 AM   #14
Randy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Panerai
New case, maxi dial, ceramic bezel, on new subs and next year on the SS sub. Major changes that most people do not care for and yes is major enough to change model designation for!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 04:03 AM   #15
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
If I was worried about buying anything "now" it would be the SD. Under $5K new at Swiss Luxury now. That watch will be harder to buy new one heck of a lot sooner than the current SS Sub.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 04:12 AM   #16
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
I don't think the 16610 Sub will become rare until my grandchildren finish college...and I don't have children yet.
Old 26 March 2009, 04:37 AM   #17
frch1104
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
I don't think the 16610 Sub will become rare until my grandchildren finish college...and I don't have children yet.
:r ofl://Fred
frch1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 04:44 AM   #18
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
Quote:
I dont belive that it will be rare. Just more out of reach.. And if I have to pay $8000.00 or more for a new SS sub next year guess what i may have purchased my last one.
chriseskew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 05:07 AM   #19
Esquire
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II Ceramic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Yes, and with another THREE price increase between NOW and THEN, I literally shudder to think of what the price on the new updated 116610 is going to be!!!

Guys.....some advice.

Just hang on to your current SS Sub-dates - or buy one if you get the chance. You might remember these words next year at the same time.

Cheers - JJ
If Rolex does raise prices, it will be extremely minor changes.

I'm betting on no price increases. Look at the SDDS and GMT-IIc--both are selling at ridiculous prices in for sale forums ($6800 for a $9200 watch, and $4800 for a $6800 watch), and Rolex wants to sell new versions of the watch, rather than have the used versions float around from buyer to seller.

The new price will be high, but hopefully not too high. With the GMT-IIc at $6850, the new SS sub should land somewhere in the $6000 range. But that's fine--it makes the previous subs that much better to own, and likely cheaper due to people jumping ship from the previous model to the new one.
Old 26 March 2009, 05:17 AM   #20
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseskew24 View Post
I dont belive that it will be rare. Just more out of reach.. :
No more so than the current SD, which is much rarer and can still be found easily, and well below MSRP. Rolex produced millions of Sub/Date watches. They will not be difficult to find.
Quote:
And if I have to pay $8000.00 or more for a new SS sub next year guess what i may have purchased my last one.:thumbsup
Give it 5-6 months after release, and the new Sub will be like the Milgauss and the Deep Sea...widely available & discounted significantly.

In other words, there is no need to panic.
Old 26 March 2009, 05:19 AM   #21
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
Quote:
No more so than the current SD, which is much rarer and can still be found easily, and well below MSRP. Rolex produced millions of Sub/Date watches. They will not be difficult to find.

Give it 5-6 months after release, and the new Sub will be like the Milgauss and the Deep Sea...widely available & discounted significantly.

In other words, there is no need to panic.

Thanks now i feel ok.
chriseskew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 05:30 AM   #22
jtrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Hi everyone,

It's been a while for me. But in any regard. I think the new look of the subs are sharp. I didn't like the look of the newer GMT II C's at first. But they have really been growing on me lately!

I am curious will the new 116610 black subs have a solid link bracelet? Or will it be the original all brushed look?

I really like the way the new blue subs look with the solid link bracelet. But would prefer to see the brushed look stay on the black subs. To each is own I guess.
jtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 05:30 AM   #23
BLACK DIAMOND

Watch: Black Diamond DD
Quote:
I dont belive that it will be rare. Just more out of reach.. And if I have to pay $8000.00 or more for a new SS sub next year guess what i may have purchased my last one.
Agreed.

$8K for a stainless steel watch is really pushing it, even if it IS a Rolex!! The current prices of 5-6K for a SS Sub-Date is already quite substantial, and arguably excessive.
BLACK DIAMOND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 06:23 AM   #24
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks now i feel ok.
Of course, you can always buy a few, and hold them for your grandkids.