The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 November 2018, 11:16 PM   #61
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
I'm leaving the price tags on my new underpants, just in case it ads value in the future.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 11:21 PM   #62
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
IMO: stickers are disconnect between you and the watch. The bond is missing with the watch and stickers attached.
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 11:34 PM   #63
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I think I left mine on my GMT2 when I got it back in 1992. I don't believe I knew any different and it eventually wore away, I didn't find that it got that disgusting. Then again, that watch as all since have been purchased to wear.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 11:51 PM   #64
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
I'm leaving the price tags on my new underpants, just in case it ads value in the future.
Forget about the price tags its skid marks that's where the value today,reading some who like these dirty useless caseback stickers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Outlier.
I like the heavy duty green caseback sticker.
It does a great job of protecting the case back from the clasp.

As far as value, some potential buyers view stickers being on the watch as an indication of some level of newness maintained. If between 2 watches of equal condition and one has stickers, why would anyone choose the one without stickers.

As far as germs etc, that’s a non issue the watch gets washed daily.
Cannot understand why anyone would think a old case back sticker would portray any sort of newness maintained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Maybe not to you.
But to others, perhaps it might make some difference
We are all different, with different priorities.
What's more important the watch or the useless sticky-back plastic.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Hey, we haven't had a lively sticker discussion in years...

The green sticker has zero value and never has, zero, zilch, nada.
And hopefully we will never see anymore on forum,I prayed to the Rolex gods to get rid of the case back sticker.And they did answer my prayers as at one time the sticker was deemed more important than the watch, or the history of the brand.Today gone now the history of the RWC in general its now fretting over a second or so,miniscule font changes,loupe mania,is it safe today the list seems endless.Now the actual watches and the history of the brand is second place or even third place.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 11:57 PM   #65
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Now the actual watches and the history of the brand is second place or even third place.
Completely agree Peter.

Seems that fewer and fewer people here actually want to discuss watches
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 11:58 PM   #66
Brew
"TRF" Member

I don't walk around with jacket pockets or vents stitched closed, and I remove the sleeve tags before I go out in public*, why would I leave stickers on my watches?

[*Usually. Sometimes I need an embarrassing reminder . . . . ]
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 12:23 AM   #67
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Forget about the price tags its skid marks that's where the value today,reading some who like these dirty useless caseback stickers

Woohoo!!....I'll be quids in!
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 01:50 AM   #68
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
Take it off.
Old 6 November 2018, 02:51 AM   #69
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Quote:
Outlier.
I like the heavy duty green caseback sticker.
It does a great job of protecting the case back from the clasp.

As far as value, some potential buyers view stickers being on the watch as an indication of some level of newness maintained. If between 2 watches of equal condition and one has stickers, why would anyone choose the one without stickers.

As far as germs etc, that’s a non issue the watch gets washed daily.
Exactly
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 03:00 AM   #70
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:

Cannot understand why anyone would think a old case back sticker would portray any sort of newness maintained.
In the impersonal world of internet shopping, an original sticker can give some indication that the watch has not been polished. It is not an absolute but if between two, why not take the stickered option... and if that is true, isn’t that added value?
Old 6 November 2018, 03:00 AM   #71
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Completely agree Peter.

Seems that fewer and fewer people here actually want to discuss watches
It is beyond me how many here covet a small green round case back sticker which ultimately serves no purpose once the watch is ready to wear on your wrist.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 03:20 AM   #72
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Wait, this watch is about 15 years old and still has a sticker on the back?
Talking about a 'safe queen' ...
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 03:31 AM   #73
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
In the impersonal world of internet shopping, an original sticker can give some indication that the watch has not been polished. It is not an absolute but if between two, why not take the stickered option... and if that is true, isn’t that added value?
Again why would a case back sticker indicate that the watch has not been polished plus the fact you can still buy these stickers even worn ones for the fools that buy them.Even at RSC service the case back rarely needs any polishing as say the case and bracelet.And today this anti polish syndrome especially on modern day Rolex produced in the past 25 years is bordering on the ridiculous.As long as any watch is done at normal routine service 5-8 years the case is designed to be polished ask any Rolex authorised watchmaker.And reading the thousands of posts on forum over the past 15 years.Its those who want to polish every time they see a scratch what ruins a Rolex watch, and not general routine RSC service polish.And case back sticker was removed and put in the bin around 2000 before using as a tool watch for many underwater dives,would you buy this watch without its case-back sticker.?

How many times has below watch been polished by RSC.??

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 6 November 2018, 04:03 AM   #74
exador
Banned

Quote:
And hopefully we will never see anymore on forum

exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 05:19 AM   #75
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Again why would a case back sticker indicate that the watch has not been polished plus the fact you can still buy these stickers even worn ones for the fools that buy them.Even at RSC service the case back rarely needs any polishing as say the case and bracelet.And today this anti polish syndrome especially on modern day Rolex produced in the past 25 years is bordering on the ridiculous.As long as any watch is done at normal routine service 5-8 years the case is designed to be polished ask any Rolex authorised watchmaker.And reading the thousands of posts on forum over the past 15 years.Its those who want to polish every time they see a scratch what ruins a Rolex watch, and not general routine RSC service polish.And case back sticker was removed and put in the bin around 2000 before using as a tool watch for many underwater dives,would you buy this watch without its case-back sticker.?

How many times has below watch been polished by RSC.??

That is a great example of the sea dweller.

My personal experience is exclusively with RSCNY. When my watch was serviced there, they decided to remove the case back sticker. So if this is a consistent practice at RSCNY the fact that the sticker was still there could indicate that the watch has not had service and has not been polished. Not trying to speak in absolutes, just suggesting it could be a clue when browsing through FS adds.

Of course anyone could add a sticker on their own but that is a different conversation that would encompass a whole host of deceitful practices.

As far as polishing, my experience has been very disappointing, specifically aggressive rounding and destroying of an otherwise perfectly good 20 year old bezel.

I would prefer at all costs and at each and every circumstance to be presented with a watch that has not been previously polished.

I do not have an issue with natural wear and tear but I have an extreme issue with incompetent service and polishing. This is the point when your watch is trusted in someone else’s care and their disregard impacts the look, function and intrinsic and personal value imho.

I know I’m nuts but all things equal I’ll take the stickers. Furthermore I would leave that case back sticker on til my arm falls off from bacteria or until ithe sticker naturally falls off.

Ps the sea dweller appears to be unpolished or polished by a caring professional, something I have not encountered at RSCNY.
Old 6 November 2018, 06:00 AM   #76
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
It is beyond me how many here covet a small green round case back sticker which ultimately serves no purpose once the watch is ready to wear on your wrist.
You make an excellent point.

However, it's surely of no consequence whether the sticker remains or not.
It's simply a matter of personal preference and the preserve of the owner.

As far as i can glean from the proponents of preservation of the sticker on the forum to date.
No one has ever adopted the position that they go so far as to actually covet the sticker.
That's exclusively in the realm of your narrative.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 06:01 AM   #77
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post

Now that's what i call poking the bear
Old 6 November 2018, 06:07 AM   #78
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My dealer always used to ask me if i wanted the sticker preserved when the watches went in for servicing.
I might add, that even when one of my watches was sent to Geneva for service/repair work. It was returned with sticker perfectly intact without any special requests or prompting from me.
Old 6 November 2018, 07:52 AM   #79
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
My dealer always used to ask me if i wanted the sticker preserved when the watches went in for servicing.
I might add, that even when one of my watches was sent to Geneva for service/repair work. It was returned with sticker perfectly intact without any special requests or prompting from me.

That is how it should be, just because the manufacturer is servicing a watch does not mean they have a right to make any decisions outside of service they are being Paid for.
Old 6 November 2018, 08:40 AM   #80
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Removing it in one piece is no easy feat. How people preserve them is beyond me. So yeah it's gotta go. I don't want a sticker on my watch. It is no indication of anything despite being a selling point. 'retains sticker' woohoo.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 09:24 AM   #81
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
May God help us all
Old 6 November 2018, 11:46 PM   #82
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
That is a great example of the sea dweller.

Ps the sea dweller appears to be unpolished or polished by a caring professional, something I have not encountered at RSCNY.
Well that SD has been polished 2 times by 2 different RSC, only thing changed at second service was the bezel and insert .But that was down to having a steel air tank dropped on in around 2010, watch had a very hard life compared todays mainly pampered watches.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 7 November 2018, 12:27 AM   #83
soundwave
"TRF" Member

Of course you take the stickers out. Who likes the feel of plastic on their skin??! :)
soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 04:05 AM   #84
Micky B
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Sorry to jump on this thread....but would there be much difference in value between two identical and unworn watches, one with stickers and the other without?
I removed my stickers before I had even left the AD!
Micky B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 04:50 AM   #85
1watch
"TRF" Member

As a collector, I do see the value in a 100% complete set. That said, here’s my .02

1. If you intend to never wear and eventually sell, leave it on
2. If you intend to wear it, take it off in pristine condition vs deformed and rotten, place with the box and papers for preservation of the set condition
3. If you’re really worried about caseback scuffs, use a piece of clear tape on the caseback

Dilemma solved
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 05:32 AM   #86
shivayash
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1998 16610 Sub
Remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shivayash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 05:42 AM   #87
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

take the watch to a science lab and pay them a nominal fee to take cultures from the sticky residue and see what stuff starts to grow.... then decide.

nasty
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 05:44 AM   #88
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
take the watch to a science lab and pay them a nominal fee to take cultures from the sticky residue and see what stuff starts to grow.... then decide.

nasty
Exactly!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 06:10 AM   #89
1watch
"TRF" Member

Here's my take as a collector on options.

1. If it's never going to be worn and possibly sold or traded, leave it on
2. If it's going to be worn, take it off and leave with the rest of the set in good condition. I don't get the appeal of watches with stickers left on and worn. They disintegrate and look grimy
3. If the concern is about scratches on the case back from the clasp, etc..., use a clear piece of tape to keep it protected
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 07:55 AM   #90
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Worn stickers looks like they harbor disease. I don't know anyone who uses antibacterial soap on their watches. I certainly can't imagine wearing someone else's watch which came with a badly worn sticker.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote