The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 December 2018, 03:45 AM   #61
edo
"TRF" Member

This PC looks like aventurine dial on Speedmaster Moonphase...

Agree with some comments that case looks great, and considering AP master finishing on the cases no doubt it will look spectacular... There will be enough depth between week (on PC) tachy (on chrono) minutes (on three hander) scale and the dial for nice 3D feel...

But two things bother me... lug design looks like metal bracelets will not have best fit, and hands looks too dressy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a8c7327a42517546850fdbe08fbae0fd.jpg (127.3 KB, 1268 views)
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 07:19 AM   #62
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
This looks really interesting. I like the subtle RO octagon integrated into the case but I was really wanting to see what the were going to do with the dials. Would they use the tappiserrie dial or a more traditional dial. This looks like they are using the color scheme for the moon phase. Could be very very interesting.
Agree, looks interesting. Dial reminds me of a bargain PP Sky Moon.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:25 PM   #63
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by karasus View Post

If I had to make a theory on AP's product plan it would be: VC/Lange/Patek/Journe none of them have a high end ultra-thin automatic splits seconds chrono. The only ultra high end ultra-thin automatic splits second chronograph movement is made by F.Piguet, Caliber 1186. The main reason for this is probably because most VC/Lange/Patek/Journe which is some derivative of leminia manual chronos, the design was very good but its on the thicker side. Putting an automatic winding mechanism would make their current chrono lineup 15+mm thick, which is sea dweller thickness so probably not acceptable. The base F.Piguet 1185 automatic chronograph movement is only 3.9mm thick, for comparison the similar Patek CH 28-520 automatic chronograph in the 5980s is 6.6mm almost twice the thickness of the 1185.

AP probably started using the 1185 (currently in RO chronos) from F.Piguet and hoped to get the 1186 later but F.Piguet(Blancpain) was bought by Swatch. Swatch most likely blocked the sale of newer movement types to competitors. Biver talks about how he could not get the 1185 for Hublot, how in his opinion it is the best automatic chronograph movement (its objectively the thinnest to date) and how it can run continuously without accuracy and amplitude loss. So basically after Swatch bought F.Piguet AP was stuck with the base 1185 instead of the more advanced 1186 4mm thick chrono with rattrapante module to build upon.

If AP wanted to build cool new watches and designs they would need an inhouse movement, and now we have their new movement + line to test it out. Additionally this movement could be an ultrathin automatic chrono that rivals the 1185. It will most likely also be a platform for AP to build their own version of the 1186 splits seconds ultra thin. Actually AP is the only one of the holy trinity that doesn't make a splits seconds chrono, so this could be the start fof that development. But hey its just speculation so take everything with a grain of salt.
this is great info! something i never knew before, do you have more info or sources! would be great to delve into it!
Old 20 December 2018, 01:22 AM   #64
HKDaytona
"TRF" Member

This is it?

Looks good
HKDaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 01:48 AM   #65
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntee050 View Post
Attachment 1006258
What do you guys think?
Purely from this pic, not a fan. It seems like AP design this watch trying to be both sporty and dressy at the same time and end up being neither.

My perception may change upon seeing actual so I reserved final judgement.
Old 20 December 2018, 03:18 AM   #66
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
. Actually AP is the only one of the holy trinity that doesn't make a splits seconds chrono, so this could be the start fof that development. But hey its just speculation so take everything with a grain of salt.
All great info but aren't their grande comps split second chronos? And I dont know if the Lap Timer is a true split second chrono since it functions slightly different but I would think the extra complexity would qualify.

To see a lower end/more affordable split second chrono would be nice.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 04:11 AM   #67
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If I had to make a theory on AP's product plan it would be: VC/Lange/Patek/Journe none of them have a high end ultra-thin automatic splits seconds chrono. The only ultra high end ultra-thin automatic splits second chronograph movement is made by F.Piguet, Caliber 1186. The main reason for this is probably because most VC/Lange/Patek/Journe which is some derivative of leminia manual chronos, the design was very good but its on the thicker side. Putting an automatic winding mechanism would make their current chrono lineup 15+mm thick, which is sea dweller thickness so probably not acceptable. The base F.Piguet 1185 automatic chronograph movement is only 3.9mm thick, for comparison the similar Patek CH 28-520 automatic chronograph in the 5980s is 6.6mm almost twice the thickness of the 1185.
does the thinness matter if its not taken advantage of? the end result is a ROC case 1.2mm thinner than a 5980 so they lose almost all of that advantage in movement thinness with the case not being thin also. AP could have made the ROC substantially thinner if they wanted i would guess.

Unless its a dress piece i really don't think people want a thin watch anyway they want some heft and sportiness. Its specifically why i prefer the 5990 to the 5711 or 5712

AP does embrace the chunky look more than Patek and there are more AP models i like than from Patek as a result.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 04:27 AM   #68
holdtime
Banned

Why?
When AP can not supply enough watches like it is.why create a new design ?
Does not make sense to me.
holdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 04:37 AM   #69
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
Hmm, so far this new line has zero interest from me. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 20 December 2018, 04:53 AM   #70
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdtime View Post
Why?
When AP can not supply enough watches like it is.why create a new design ?
Does not make sense to me.
i would suspect its extremely dangerous to rely too heavily on one case shape and a modified case shape of the original for probably 95% of sales in the RO and ROO. If it was a typical round shape like a Rolex ok, but its very unique and it could fall out of favor. Just a thought.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 05:47 AM   #71
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I like it.
Old 20 December 2018, 06:34 AM   #72
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
does the thinness matter if its not taken advantage of? the end result is a ROC case 1.2mm thinner than a 5980 so they lose almost all of that advantage in movement thinness with the case not being thin also. AP could have made the ROC substantially thinner if they wanted i would guess.

Unless its a dress piece i really don't think people want a thin watch anyway they want some heft and sportiness. Its specifically why i prefer the 5990 to the 5711 or 5712

AP does embrace the chunky look more than Patek and there are more AP models i like than from Patek as a result.
I would think that it would allow them to keep the current thickness and add a display caseback.

ROC currently has a solid case back, once they move onto the new movement I think we will see a display case (thicker than solid) but with an overall thinner actual case, which will give similar dimensions to the current.

Heft doesn't always correlate with thickness, there are other factors such as total metal used, types of metal, and case space between movement and case. 44mm ceramic ROO is going to be light despite the size and thickness. But yes the 5712 is light, I had one for a while didn't like the light weight despite the watch being very beautiful. Went total 180 and got a 25721ST that weights over half a pound Now I can do mini curls/workout a bit while wearing my watch. (Believe its around the same weight as a white gold Rolex SkyDweller)

Side note: had the chance to try a 5740G its weight is perfect and excellent fit.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 02:01 PM   #73
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

This is quite interesting. This case has some nice detail on it that sets itself apart. With the proper finishing it could really look nice. I like it so far, dress and sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 10:30 PM   #74
stevec0
"TRF" Member

I was in boutique yesterday trying on ROC. I came to realize that 41mm is too large for my wrist and that 39mm fits perfectly (tried on 15202 gold for size). I told the salesperson, too bad they don’t make the ROC in 39mm anymore...he said “be careful what you wish for...I think you will be happy come SIHH”...hope that hint is the real deal.
stevec0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 11:11 PM   #75
VFA
"TRF" Member

Can anyone repost the leaked image? Was only a PC leaked? Seems it has the old PC movement.
VFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 06:56 PM   #76
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker View Post
this is great info! something i never knew before, do you have more info or sources! would be great to delve into it!
Here is the video about the F.Piguet 1185 featuring Mr.Biver when he talks about chronographs, what caused the move to in house and how Swatch would not sell him the movement for Hublot:
https://youtu.be/4wigSZSxOkE?t=3962

Patek CH28-520: https://watchbase.com/patek-philippe...er/ch-28-520-c
F.Piguet : https://www.cliniquehorlogere.ch/fr/...t-fp-1185.html

Article on history of F.Piguet:
http://raulhorology.com/2013/11/fred...-calibre-1180/
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 09:13 PM   #77
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFA View Post
Can anyone repost the leaked image? Was only a PC leaked? Seems it has the old PC movement.
Funny, images were previously posted on this thread but seem to have been removed. Understandable. Yes, we only saw the image of the PC.
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 01:59 AM   #78
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Not a fan. Seems like AP _may_ be trying to go after thew lower end of the market by appealing to the new enthusiasts (e.g., Vacheron 56). If so, I'll pass.
Old 30 December 2018, 03:34 AM   #79
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

I posted the leaked image on TimeZone yesterday and it was removed due to copyright issues.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 05:51 AM   #80
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Not a fan. Seems like AP _may_ be trying to go after thew lower end of the market by appealing to the new enthusiasts (e.g., Vacheron 56). If so, I'll pass.

Unlikely in my opinion, but we’ll have to wait and see

Old 30 December 2018, 07:17 AM   #81
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
Unlikely in my opinion, but we’ll have to wait and see

Agree - they have no reason to do that for lower priced models, if anything it will be pushing the market up I think.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 04:00 PM   #82
CEWUSA
"TRF" Member

Heard from a little birdie this will only be released in gold at first.
CEWUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 04:59 PM   #83
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Slightly off topic but while we are on the subject of the 4302 movement, does anyone know if a Royal Oak Chrono will ever be released with a display back?

Soon to come: AP 26401 RG, AP 15202OR, Patek 3940G
uracowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:03 PM   #84
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by uracowman View Post
does anyone know if a Royal Oak Chrono will ever be released with a display back?
Yes for sure. I’d bet my life on it. When? Idk
Old 30 December 2018, 06:42 PM   #85
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEWUSA View Post

I heard the same

Old 31 December 2018, 02:31 AM   #86
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

This looks awful! Sheesh

Old 31 December 2018, 09:21 AM   #87
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEWUSA View Post

Doesn’t surprise me - AP stated the intention of selling more PM watches a while back.

Better margin on the same number of pieces sold.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 11:52 PM   #88
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

AP is revealing more tomorrow. As per their website. Looking forward :))
Old 7 January 2019, 10:16 PM   #89
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

SIHH 2019 potential new release by AP

Updating with the latest reveal. AP released a few videos on their website and one of them had a few quick views of the new release. Here are a few screen grabs:

So from the looks of it, the patent sketches were pretty accurate. Also, the dial seems to be highly polished, the sapphire looks slightly curved, and it looks like they are releasing a steel version.

I can’t wait to see it in the flesh!
Old 7 January 2019, 10:21 PM   #90
dwatcher
Banned

Watch: Luxury Watches
This would be a big one for 2019, i think the design application matches with the teaser on the AP homepage
dwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote