The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 December 2018, 05:42 AM   #1
Sam94
"TRF" Member

How many purchases until you can get a rare model?

I recently just bought myself a 126333 (two tone datejust fluted bezel, jubilee band, black dial) for my 24th birthday! My first rolex and it is an amazing feeling. I inquired with my sales associate about the possibility of getting a stainless GMT. He let me know that since I bought this datejust to give him a call and he will get me one when I want it. Now, I plan on getting the GMT but I have had my eyes on a 116610LV hulk for a while now and plan on getting it 1 year from now for my 25th birthday. The question is, are these 2 watch purchases enough to land me a submariner hulk? I know there are “wait lists” but I know those to be false and rare models are only sold to VIP customers. If anyone here has had a similar situation and had to buy their way into one of these rare models please share your experience! Or if anyone has any input that would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Sam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 05:44 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

not most places. The other factor to consider though is future spend potential. If you are a high powered attorney or a doctor or something with one purchase and you are 30 years old it might be enough vs a 75 year old wanting one or two more watches who has spent a million dollars in the past. As they will dump you for someone new who will buy stuff.

Future spend is very important as the past already happened. Most AD's evaluate both to some degree and they pick up on all sorts of tells.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 05:46 AM   #3
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
There are no absolute rules. Some retailers will sell SS Professional models to walk ins with no purchase history and some won't. And for those who won't, the bar can fluctuate.
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:05 AM   #4
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I think it depends, someone in the UK just got a SS BLRO for being a 1st timer at the AD but at my local AD you have to be a _big_ spender just to have a chance.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:31 AM   #5
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
This depends on A LOT of things. There is no ‘one size fits all’ answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:35 AM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

usually more than the number of licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop

current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 19 December 2018, 06:37 AM   #7
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
It's possible, sure! Best way would be to directly ask the AD yourself and see what they say because as mentioned above, theres a lot of factors that come into play. Good Luck!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:47 AM   #8
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I bought 3 SS pieces in a year from my newer, smaller AD that l wanted anyway with discounts and then they offered me a Blnr which I showed no previous interest for. I'm sure there is a plus to have some history but all ADs are different, I'm glad l switched and left the big hi profile hi end mall AD.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:57 AM   #9
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
There is no magic formula that you can follow to ensure you get allocated a hard to get SS piece. It all depends on your AD and the demand they have for those pieces with their other customers. Purchase history does help as we know, but as to the amount of purchase history, that depends on your AD. AD’s in more populated areas are probably going to have longer lists as a result of more customers with a purchase history. AD’s in less populated areas may not have as long a list of customers with a significant purchase history. I recommend picking an AD and start buying pieces and strengthen that relationship.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 07:07 AM   #10
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
totally up to the AD. I would say with a hulk or Batman you have a shot. Pepsi or stainless steel Daytona buy 100k plus to even get considered. Or maybe just maybe you could be one of the lucky ones to get a rare Pepsi or Daytona. There have been a few members who won the watch lottery. But I do think you have a chance at a hulk so long as you buy from that same Ad. Check in from time to time by phone and stop in as well to chat and check out what they have in stock. Make sure they do not forget about you. Probably go by once a month or every other month. My AD told me they are looking for younger clients to bring in with Rolex interest so stay loyal to them and I’m sure they will get you hooked up.
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 07:22 AM   #11
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I bought a full everose gmt (I think that's rare too but not sure) before I got the call for a ss daytona which I gave to my wife.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 07:34 AM   #12
Star Ferry
Banned

This is like asking how many dates before you can seal the deal
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 07:35 AM   #13
peterpl
Banned

No such thing as a "rare" modern Rolex. You can get any watch anytime within 24hrs.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 07:37 AM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by star ferry View Post
this is like asking how many dates before you can seal the deal

sometimes less
Old 19 December 2018, 07:42 AM   #15
mrblue
"TRF" Member

Ask the AD or do what I do, buy pre-owned 5 digit references. You can get what you want when you want it. No butt kissing necessary.
mrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 07:46 AM   #16
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Got my Hulk earlier this year from a Las Vegas AD that I've never done business with. I was there last year during Thanksgiving and got on their waitlist. Then I asked him to notify me next time SS Sky-Dweller becomes available and bam he contacted me a week later and I'm picking up my SkyD at UPS later today. So just get on many "lists" as possible.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 07:59 AM   #17
R!$
Banned

I think a hulk should be within reach for you
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 08:03 AM   #18
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Between 1 and 100.

I got my BLNR after one purchase (my 214270). Others have spent a lot more and still haven't been called for a rare model. There is no formula.
Old 19 December 2018, 08:21 AM   #19
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

You should be able to get a Hulk within that timeframe. Just speak to your AD and let them know your plans. Check in every couple of months so that they don't forget about you and I think you'll be fine.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 08:30 AM   #20
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I once walked into a Davidson and Licht nearby and asked this - the mgr said I can buy any Rolex and get in line for others, but the biggest spender will always always have priority. Needless to say I walked out. Not gonna buy TT DJs with 0% discount for a 0.01% chance of getting anything worthwhile.

My go-to AD has sold me both Daytona C, BLNR, SD43, BLRO with no games. I’m not even the top spender, in fact far from it.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 09:09 AM   #21
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblue View Post
Ask the AD or do what I do, buy pre-owned 5 digit references. You can get what you want when you want it. No butt kissing necessary.
x2
subprimero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 09:24 AM   #22
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I walked into an AD for the first time in late January 2018. He had a SubC and SubC date that he had just received. He gave me my choice I bought SubC.
I kept in touch with him monthly, attended their events usually with a couple of my kids.
In July I told him I was interested in a BLNR. He told me it would require a deposit and might take 6 months. When I went to the store to order it they had one and sold it to me on the spot. Needless to say, they will get my watch and jewelry business in the future.
So you never know it's their market right now, be a good interested customer, you might be surprised.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 09:25 AM   #23
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Oh no I see peter the forum killer above. Peter he knows that it’s not RARE! Most of us understand what the OP means with his post. He means hard to get but in standard Peter fashion who has to always beat up on us new members your here to correct us or remind us what we said in the past. Keep your 2 cents to yourself and offer 0 cents ! How about a nice constructive add to the post not correct everything the OP says and try to offer sound advice. Man you suck !! Good thing your not in charge of new member recruitment and customer service. The site would shut down tomorrow. You have to let us new members say and post as we wish. I’m curious if you do that on older members forum post ??Original poster above. Don’t mind Peter he is like this all the time. He usually creeps around my post , corrects me , reminds me of contradicting things I said etc. he’s very good at that. He has no respect for fellow forum members. He’s really good at trying to make you not enjoy this wonderful forum
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 09:27 AM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
My personal experience has been that it all comes down to your approach with the AD.

Develop a relationship, drop in from time to time, let them know you’re a real WIS and that you have a genuine interest in owning and wearing the references you’re interested in. You might be surprised how it works out for you.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 09:30 AM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
Oh no I see peter the forum killer above. Peter he knows that it’s not RARE! Most of us understand what the OP means with his post. He means hard to get but in standard Peter fashion who has to always beat up on us new members your here to correct us or remind us what we said in the past. Keep your 2 cents to yourself and offer 0 cents ! How about a nice constructive add to the post not correct anything the OP says and try to offer sound advice. Man you suck !! Good thing your not in charge of new member recruitment and customer service. The site would shut down tomorrow. You have to let us new members say and post as we wish. I’m curious if you do that on older members forums??? Original poster above. Don’t mind Peter he is like this all the time. He usually creeps around my post , corrects me , reminds me of contradicting things I said etc. he’s very good at that. He has no respect for fellow forum members. He’s really good at trying to make you not enjoy this wonderful forum
is that really necessary
Old 19 December 2018, 09:45 AM   #26
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
is that really necessary
Some people take things way too seriously IMHO. I don´t even think the OP minds a bit of jest.

My answer to the OP would be is there is no rule to AD behaviour. You might even luck out with a nice salesperson vs a nasty manager. Whatever you do don´t expect to get any attention if you use the phone. That is a sure way to get a slammed door in your face. Look around, avoid the chick towns and heavy cities, be nice and you might get one. Your particular AD sounds nice enough.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 09:49 AM   #27
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Less than 2 years ago, green Sub was readily available at many ADs. Things can change quickly. If there is a recession in major countries like the US, UK and/or China, supply can balloon quickly.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 10:20 AM   #28
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
Oh no I see peter the forum killer above. Peter he knows that it’s not RARE! Most of us understand what the OP means with his post. He means hard to get but in standard Peter fashion who has to always beat up on us new members your here to correct us or remind us what we said in the past. Keep your 2 cents to yourself and offer 0 cents ! How about a nice constructive add to the post not correct everything the OP says and try to offer sound advice. Man you suck !! Good thing your not in charge of new member recruitment and customer service. The site would shut down tomorrow. You have to let us new members say and post as we wish. I’m curious if you do that on older members forum post ??Original poster above. Don’t mind Peter he is like this all the time. He usually creeps around my post , corrects me , reminds me of contradicting things I said etc. he’s very good at that. He has no respect for fellow forum members. He’s really good at trying to make you not enjoy this wonderful forum
Hahahah - no point beating around the bush. Dont take it so hard. I was actually trying to give you sound advice from my previous mistakes thats all. What you actually do with your money and if you buy 100s of Rolex's seriously I dont care. Doesnt affect my life a single bit.

Take it easy my man.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 10:47 AM   #29
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Remember it well! How about the Faygo "Red Pop" spots?

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

usually more than the number of licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 11:46 AM   #30
Talbel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
My personal experience has been that it all comes down to your approach with the AD.

Develop a relationship, drop in from time to time, let them know you’re a real WIS and that you have a genuine interest in owning and wearing the references you’re interested in. You might be surprised how it works out for you.
Exactly this. I’ve probably spent $50k at my AD over the past 4 or 5 years so certainly not a big spender by their standards, but basically did the above without really even thinking about it. During that time I’ve been offered a BLNR, both a white and black face Daytona, an LV and a BLRO. I bought the BLNR and the BLRO and passed on the others. I never asked to be put on a list for any of them, but we developed a relationship based on our mutual interest in watches and he would reach out when something interesting came in. When I got my BLRO he told me I wasn’t the biggest spender, but he liked doing business with me and knew I really appreciated the watches I was able to acquire. It’s not always about the money.
Talbel is offline   Reply With Quote