The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 July 2018, 08:56 PM   #1
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
What was your biggest regret selling?

I've had a quick search through the forum and couldnt see a thread asking the specific question so I thought I'd stick it out there and see if members have the same tales or regret as I do.

I've sold 3 Rolex watches over the years ... life gets in the way at times and as I've always maintained, a watch that commands a premium is not something needed when you fall on hard times.

My first Rolex was a 16000 DateJust on a jubilee bracelet which was sold to buy my 16610V Kermit Submariner which had to go when I was made redundant.

I waited a few years after getting back to work and bought a Datejust 41 116334 which I also let go, but never really felt the heartbreak of the others.

I really regreted selling the 16610V and its definately on my bucket list to pick one up again .... however .... that 16000 Datejust was a watch that opened the door to my love for watches, and as much as the kermit would be great to have in any collection .... there is a good chance that the 16000 will be added first.

Whats the regret sales that the members would turn around if they could?
DP63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 08:58 PM   #2
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I almost sold my first Rolex
On the way to make the deal , I felt like I was about to loose someone dear to me
I made a crazy demand of 30% increase on the price
The person rejected it lol
I still have it :)
Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 09:16 PM   #3
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
I would classify mine as not a regret, but I do miss it. Had a gorgeous 118238 that I let go of for two main reasons... bracelet never quite fit correctly (link in or link out) and the 36mm simply got too small, imo
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 09:22 PM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP63 View Post

That I made a poor choice buying
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 09:29 PM   #5
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
Buying models in compromise-instead of holding off and getting exactly what I wanted...a well learned lesson!
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 09:30 PM   #6
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
I would classify mine as not a regret, but I do miss it. Had a gorgeous 118238 that I let go of for two main reasons... bracelet never quite fit correctly (link in or link out) and the 36mm simply got too small, imo
Yeah ... the 36mm was one of my reasons for trading my Datejust, however, I've been seeing a lot of folks revisit the smaller case sizes lately, which sparked my whole "wish I still had my first Rolex" thoughts.
DP63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 09:36 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP63 View Post
I've had a quick search through the forum and couldnt see a thread asking the specific question so I thought I'd stick it out there and see if members have the same tales or regret as I do.

I've sold 3 Rolex watches over the years ... life gets in the way at times and as I've always maintained, a watch that commands a premium is not something needed when you fall on hard times.

My first Rolex was a 16000 DateJust on a jubilee bracelet which was sold to buy my 16610V Kermit Submariner which had to go when I was made redundant.

I waited a few years after getting back to work and bought a Datejust 41 116334 which I also let go, but never really felt the heartbreak of the others.

I really regreted selling the 16610V and its definately on my bucket list to pick one up again .... however .... that 16000 Datejust was a watch that opened the door to my love for watches, and as much as the kermit would be great to have in any collection .... there is a good chance that the 16000 will be added first.

Many years ago now I owned a Rolex 5100 the first ever Rolex quartz and now regret selling it to go back to mechanical.It was just a fad at the time new quartz technology and something new age.And just had to buy it for technologies sake, but I was and still am a mechanical watch guy, a great watch with quite a bit of early Swiss quartz history.It was then a Pre Rolex own in-house quartz movement, there was about 16 Swiss companies involved in the development of the first Beta 21 quartz movement. Bulova Accutron paid a high part in development of the step motor,the battery life then was around 12 months.But at this time Rolex could not alter the design of the beta 21 movement,to fit there Oyster case,so only stated the 5100 was water resist and not waterproof,and this was the first Rolex ever with a sapphire crystal.Later Rolex started around 1972 to develop their own in-house movement,but the design was very still close to the beta movement,but now designed to fit a oyster type case.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 09:51 PM   #8
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
No regrets. Have never sold or flipped a single watch till date.
Old 31 July 2018, 10:23 PM   #9
sdh1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 LN
Full set Zenith Daytona.... Doh!
sdh1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 10:23 PM   #10
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
havent made the mistake of selling one yet.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 10:24 PM   #11
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I do not regret selling or trading any watches. I made the decision and got another watch or the cash. Do I miss owning some watches, sure I do. But if I really want a watch back I can buy it and time is too short to have regret, move on and enjoy what you have.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 10:30 PM   #12
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
No regrets here, I had good reasons for selling what wasn't worn. I've become more cautious before buying lately.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 10:34 PM   #13
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I let a bluesy go and wouldn't mind having another. Regret might be a strong word but it was a nice looking watch, a bit bling for my lifestyle which is why I parted with it.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 10:37 PM   #14
Chope Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue dial 16618
If I had known, I would have kept my Submariner 5513. Got it new in 1977 (a gift of my parents), sold in 1991 together with a datejust (which I bought new in 1980 or so) in order to help to buy a YG datejust 31mm with president bracelet.

I really regret the 5513, much more than the datejust.
Chope Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 10:52 PM   #15
Mrlion
"TRF" Member

Watch: them on my wrist!
absolute seller's remorse/nightmare

1665 great white
1675 PCG chapter dial
1675 regular pepsi
1655 straight hand
5513 meters first gilt
16520 inverted 9 white dial

and i wouldn't pay today's prices to get them back..
Mrlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 10:57 PM   #16
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
No regrets, after 30+ years I still have it.

For sellers, they miss out on associating the watch with milestones in their lives. Having the latest and greatest, only lasts for a couple of years.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 11:28 PM   #17
Mephist
"TRF" Member

I have sold three Rolex's one Datejust on jubilee with fluted bezel, one Milgaus GV and one Explorer II. My only regret is the Explorer II. It is about 5 years ago I sold it. It was and still is my favorite of the sports watches. However I have always preferred the datejust's and 36mm so I was not in the market for one really. Then out of the blue an opportunity to buy one at a great price opened up. So I purchased it because I was curious on how it would wear and just to flip it again and make some fast cash. So the same day I got it, I put it up for sale again. Walked around with it some in the mean time and it started growing on me, but before I understood how much I liked it, someone offered me a good price and I sold it. I still cry myself to sleep. Have never flipped anything after that.

Funny you made this thread now, because only last week I asked DavidSW to source me a new one.

Anyway here is a photo of me and the one who got away

Old 31 July 2018, 11:34 PM   #18
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Hmm where can I start...Let's start with my 1958 6538 perfect 10 Big Crown Sub now owned by Morgan King along with my white dial 6263 perfect Paul Newman Daytona. I can go on and on but those were the 2 best examples of those references I have ever seen! The Sub is worth well over $500k as is the 6263. Oh well live and learn and who would have ever thought! I have many other examples like it but I will stop at those.

My Sub on a leather strap for a change up...

My 6263 next to my old 6241 another mistake...

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 11:40 PM   #19
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

67 1675, then a time capsule 62 mas. I would buy them back triple if I could locate them
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 11:41 PM   #20
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Hmm where can I start...Let's start with my 1958 6538 perfect 10 Big Crown Sub now owned by Morgan King along with my white dial 6263 perfect Paul Newman Daytona. I can go on and on but those were the 2 best examples of those references I have ever seen! The Sub is worth well over $500k as is the 6263. Oh well live and learn and who would have ever thought! I have many other examples like it but I will stop at those.

Uggg, close thread
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 11:47 PM   #21
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I am in shock, you must be in constant unbearable pain.

How many years ago did you sell these?
Old 31 July 2018, 11:47 PM   #22
kdqq
"TRF" Member

I'm about to sell my SD4K.... am I going to regret it later?
kdqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 11:52 PM   #23
oysterflexer
Banned

Watch: SOON.
I would sell it. You'll make a good profit and get something you really want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdqq View Post
oysterflexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 11:52 PM   #24
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdqq View Post
Yes absolutely! Did you not read HL65's post? That is you in 20 years time
Old 31 July 2018, 11:53 PM   #25
kdqq
"TRF" Member

Yeah... if it appreciates to $50K in the next 10 years, I'll be pissed but Im letting it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterflexer View Post
I would sell it. You'll make a good profit and get something you really want.
Old 31 July 2018, 11:54 PM   #26
kdqq
"TRF" Member

HAHA!!! yeah, after I saw that post I'm like.... uhhhh.... loose out of $500K? I dunno about that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephist View Post
Yes absolutely! Did you not read HL65's post? That is you in 20 years time
Old 31 July 2018, 11:57 PM   #27
ROLEX MAN

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
sold a 1675 in 1999 and paid double that for the latest new "saphire" GMT!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 11:58 PM   #28
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Well, I deeply regret for selling my N series Sub No Date for no reason.. I did not lose a penny, but I deeply regret it.. Such a stupid thing to do, 4 years ago.
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 12:00 AM   #29
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:

You did not know. If we knew (in general) we would play the lottery.
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 12:05 AM   #30
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Well this takes the cake. I saw a list you posted somewhere of all the vintage pieces you used to own and any one of them could set the bar for this thread.

For me I don't regret this at all, mostly because the case was pretty shot and it wasn't a complete set or anything really special, but I do miss this watch. I posted a picture of it on here a couple years ago and had a member message me about buying it. He offered me more than I paid so off it went and I bought my 16700 and pocketed some money.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote