The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14 October 2018, 06:28 PM   #61
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
MSRP if it’s a current model. It’s a watch, not a life and death hospital visit. I can wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
Old 14 October 2018, 06:53 PM   #62
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I would stump up MSRP in a heartbeat. If that day never comes, well, it's only a watch. In five years they might be on display on AD windows. It could happen.

I have stoked up the Hulk grey market by paying over MSRP. It was a one time only deal to get a grail watch which I couldn't get from any other source - so far as I knew. The BLRO isn't my grail. I'd love to own one, but not that much.
Old 14 October 2018, 08:34 PM   #63
soundwave
"TRF" Member

MSRP and still wouldn’t buy one since the colors are off

Old 14 October 2018, 09:07 PM   #64
Oscarpapa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidal View Post
What he said. It’s a joke

It's a she and a rather fetching one at that(hope that is not counted as sexist in our politically correct times haha).
Old 14 October 2018, 09:40 PM   #65
Godfather111
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Step
US$9250 the price that Rolex listed
Old 14 October 2018, 09:45 PM   #66
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
Not a dime over MSRP.
Same here....................
Old 14 October 2018, 10:01 PM   #67
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Since the market has shifted I would pay 1-2K over retail but no tax. Depending where you live the tax on a 10K watch could be 1K so 1K over that.
Old 14 October 2018, 10:21 PM   #68
Indepth
"TRF" Member

I’d only pay MSRP plus tax on any piece, regardless of rarity.

The people out there paying gray market prices are insane in my eyes, but maybe I’m just a stick in the mud.
Old 14 October 2018, 10:40 PM   #69
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I would pay MSRP plus $1 plus tax. Think of how many potential buyers I could move ahead of for a dollar!!!!
Old 14 October 2018, 10:54 PM   #70
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I would pay MSRP. Not a dollar more. For any ss Rolex watch . Daytona included.

Old 14 October 2018, 10:54 PM   #71
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Personally I wouldnt pay more than MSRP. That said if and when I decide to sell it cause im sure ill get bored at some point, itll likely to be my friends.

Since i have to make room for other watches.
Old 14 October 2018, 10:55 PM   #72
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Like I said

Started at 22k, 20k, 18k, 17k, and now even hard to sell in the $16k range. Asia can see these around $16k (low 16s)

It will hit $15k very soon and continue to fall. SS Rolex is on a massive bubble. These watches are purely not worth the asking price. Especially for MODERN pieces that are mass produced and I think many people are realizing this.

Imagine you paid $20k for one and want to resell now? You'd lose more money on this reference than flipping a precious metal piece.

We are not talking 1950s vintage here.

I believe that those that pay big tickets for the watches, are very very financially secure. So they do not care.

Old 14 October 2018, 11:12 PM   #73
HNIC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex collector
Seems like buyers aren’t willing to pay 17k+ for the 126710 BLRO. What’s your hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nektar View Post
I believe that those that pay big tickets for the watches, are very very financially secure. So they do not care.

I’ve always thought they are the ones that seriously lack rapport building skills or being nice to people, in this case the AD. Obviously they have the money to spend. Or maybe it’s just surplus money with lack of patience? Who knows- but the BLRO lives up to the hype.

Old 14 October 2018, 11:16 PM   #74
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nektar View Post
Those people are running out quick fast.

Either way even if I was a billionaire - paying for something at ultra inflated prices when you know you are clearly getting ripped is not a good feeling.

Doesn't matter if its buying a watch or a car or a house. You know inside you just got taken for a big ride.

But hey if your a Saudi prince by all means go for your life.
Old 14 October 2018, 11:20 PM   #75
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by HNIC View Post
I’ve always thought they are the ones that seriously lack rapport building skills or being nice to people, in this case the AD. Obviously they have the money to spend. Or maybe it’s just surplus money with lack of patience? Who knows- but the BLRO lives up to the hype.

It’s simply a decision, if someone wants the watch now and does not have that relationship with an AD, they pay the asking price.

To believe that waiting for your name to be called from a list at an AD you have no previous relationship with will secure a watch for you is in the majority of instances delusional.

So then it comes down to what is your time worth and your personal value of money.

Buy it or don’t.
It would be ideal if ADs had what we wanted available when we wanted it... they don’t.
Old 14 October 2018, 11:24 PM   #76
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve always thought they are the ones that seriously lack rapport building skills or being nice to people, in this case the AD

I assume posting nonsense that insults a bunch of strangers is another example of what these people would do due to their lack of people skills? You have determined that certain members here are just simply not nice people.
This is really the conclusion you have come to?

Just to be clear, I'm not part of this circus but I do enjoy my ringside seat at times. I suppose I have enough money to dive in and add every new color bezel that comes out, but not near enough such that I should. There is of course a difference.
Old 14 October 2018, 11:30 PM   #77
HNIC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
So then it comes down to what is your time worth and your personal value of money.

For some, the thrill of the chase is part of the fun. The challenge of getting or sourcing the piece also makes is that much more rewarding or worthwhile once they get it.

What would collecting be like if every watch we wanted was sitting on a shelf waiting for us to buy?

Old 14 October 2018, 11:41 PM   #78
HNIC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I assume posting nonsense that insults a bunch of strangers is another example of what these people would do due to their lack of people skills? You have determined that certain members here are just simply not nice people.

This is really the conclusion you have come to?

Just to be clear, I'm not part of this circus but I do enjoy my ringside seat at times. I suppose I have enough money to dive in and add every new color bezel that comes out, but not near enough such that I should. There is of course a difference.

Sorry if my dry humor offended you or anyone else.

But yes, it is possible that some watch buyers are not nice to ADs. Lol

Old 14 October 2018, 11:49 PM   #79
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry if my dry humor offended you or anyone else.

But yes, it is possible that some watch buyers are not nice to ADs. Lol

No offence taken...I wear a basic black Explorer I and a white OP39, not exactly a box of watxhes that people would camp out overnight on the sidewalk in front of an AD for.

And yes, I did not see it as dry humor. Thats hard to do online. I should know better since about half of my pissy sarcastic comments are misunderstood. Although passive aggressive always breaks through loud and clear. Funny thing this interweb

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 15 October 2018, 12:02 AM   #80
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidal View Post
What he said. It’s a joke

Strength in number folks, Just say No to inflation
Old 15 October 2018, 12:27 AM   #81
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
MSRP + Tax. Not a dollar more.

I want one, I'm on the "list" but I'm not going to pay 2x to some profiteer to have one tomorrow. I'm not a sucker. I'm a vintage guy and paying more for a $9k MSRP 126710 than a good condition 1675 or 16750 is peak idiocy; a sure sign this is a bubble. But, you know what they say about a fool and his money. So, I'll wait until I can get one at MSRP and enjoy my 16750 in the meantime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57 (2) copy.jpg (165.4 KB, 529 views)
Old 15 October 2018, 12:50 AM   #82
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasKptl View Post
The current hype about the Pepsi BLRO will disappear around the Baselworld 2019, wherein the new Submariner models and others will supposedly be introduced. So, just wait a few more months.
The hype didn't even die at Basel this year for the LVc when it should have as their disco rumours were proved false, nothing will stem this tide but a serious and prolonged downturn in the economy.
Old 15 October 2018, 12:51 AM   #83
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
MSRP, and if I have to wait years, oh well. Plenty of other gorgeous watches I can buy in the meantime at 40% off on the secondary market. Omega, Panerai, VC, JLC, Tudor etc.

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Old 15 October 2018, 12:58 AM   #84
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by uansari1 View Post
MSRP if it’s a current model. It’s a watch, not a life and death hospital visit. I can wait.
In my personal opinion, this forum and its members closely resembles the situation with iPhones except the audience is generally older with a higher level of income. I would bet money that there are a few people here who would camp out overnight in front of an AD if they advertised that three 126710 watches would be available first come, first served in the morning. And at least one of the three watches would be purchased to flip.
Old 15 October 2018, 01:00 AM   #85
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdwh View Post
MSRP, and if I have to wait years, oh well. Plenty of other gorgeous watches I can buy in the meantime at 40% off on the secondary market. Omega, Panerai, VC, JLC, Tudor etc.
Agreed...so many nice options out there. A JLC Pro Diver (GMT + depth guage) is in my radar and can be purchased for about 11-13k pre-owned. I was going to get a Rolex JC but I really like having a GMT function. I want a Seamonster with a GMT function.
Old 15 October 2018, 01:01 AM   #86
|404|
Banned

I paid ~2.5k above retail for my Blue Sky-Dweller...

I don't have a relationship with an AD.
Spending more money to get a relationship with an AD seems counter intuitive. Found a reputable seller trying to sell it for £15k and offered less in cash and the want to come buy it that day... = I got it for substantially less than some Greys are trying to sell it for.

Plus no wait, no bullshit.

Easy extra 2.5k I've ever spent imo.

"Time is money friend"
Old 15 October 2018, 01:04 AM   #87
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404| View Post
Easy extra 2.5k I've ever spent imo.
"Time is money friend"
Paying extra $1-2k may be OK for a $13-14k watch. Paying 30-40% or 100% above MSRP is just stupid.
Old 15 October 2018, 01:12 AM   #88
joshua182
"TRF" Member

I think there's a little underestimation of the EM markets around here.. the chinese have barely started to get used to eating meat at every meal... wait till the middle class masses rediscovers the egoistical novelties best represented by watches... wait till their appetites for gadgets that get refreshed twice a year and desire for designer wear that changes every season are sated.. then they'll move on to something that we're all told "holds value" a little better than their houses and their cars and their other toys...

it's already begun, stemmed perhaps by the currency restrictions and stock market turbulence inherent with every economic cycle... but honestly speaking, prices can only go up in the long term.. money's just dirty paper right?
Old 15 October 2018, 01:33 AM   #89
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
126710blro should be 12k and 116500ln 15k retail.
As is they’re both way underpriced, in both Rolex-terms and also vs everything else in the market.
^^^^^what he said
Old 15 October 2018, 01:38 AM   #90
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

No one here would bat an eyelash if I said I purchased a new Mercedes S class and even got a 10% discount, but spending over retail for a Rolex Watch generates endless commentary. Of course, two years later that S class has depreciated significantly (as much as 50%) while the Rolex loses very little or even appreciates in value. I’d consider paying 10% over retail for the Pepsi just to save the wear and tear on my vehicle (not an S class BTW) and my time and consider it a wash. I did manage to find a Tudor GMT at my AD so I can wait it out for now!
Closed Thread