The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 November 2018, 09:13 AM   #1
Tony8959
"TRF" Member

Recent sales experience

Hi all I’m new to the forum.. but have been reading for a while before signing up. Always had a love for Rolex but made my first purchase a year ago from an AD in my area of a Sub Date. I was lucky at the time as the dealer had a pretty nice selection of steel sports watches. Little did I know that this would soon change. I put myself on the waitlist soon after for a ceramic Daytona and knew it would be a while until I could possibly see one.

Fast forward to last month ago - my honeymoon. I figured I’d check in on a local Rolex dealer to see what kind of stock he had. At first his case looked pretty bare of anything hard to find but did have a bluesy, full rose gold root beer and some others. I inquired about the Daytona and was told they didn’t have it. After chatting a little more he admitted they in fact did have it and all other hard to find watches in inventory !! While slightly skeptical of this, he told me the only way he could sell these watches was to pair them with a purchase of something in solid gold. He also showed me the Black dial Daytona from the back but wouldn’t let me photograph or touch it as he said he shouldn’t be doing this as he could get in trouble with management. I knew this deal would be out of the question as I wasn’t in the market for anything else right now but the Daytona.

I did let him know a close friend of mine was interested in the hulk and a diamond dial two tone DJ he had in stock. So was trying to pair these two with the Daytona. He said he would need to get it approved by his boss. After speaking to him later that night he said he could pair the hulk and DJ but they said no instantly to the Daytona. After going back the next day and purchasing some jewelery for my wife and trying one more time to negotiate a deal on all these purchases they still didn’t go for it. So being a good friend I acquired the DJ and hulk for my friend. While in there also doing the purchase they tried to leverage another customer with same tactics for a blue sky dweller.

No I know these are all hard to find watches and the ADs are trying to leverage these watches into bigger commissions, but the whole sales experience and secretive nature of the salesman left a bad taste in my mouth. Especially getting this close to the Daytona it was a disappointment. I think I might have preferred to not to know he had it.

I specifically left the name of the AD out as not to cause any issues there but it was within the US. My apologies for the long post lol.
Tony8959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2018, 09:23 AM   #2
bp1000
"TRF" Member

If that’s the case I’d say an isolated incident

Every AD you go to these days don’t have the popular pieces on display, they can’t all be holding them as stock to sell as bundle deals.

Most ADs have them on lists once they get allocation.

Yes it’s true if you buy at least 1 if not 2 PM pieces you get a Daytona instantly or on the next allocation.

For me there are 2 types of dealers

1 who maintain lists and play fair with the order
The other (mainly independent ADs) who choose to put their stock in the window

The second is more rare but I do know a few. The first type can be swayed by PM buys and disregard the list.

The one you found OP sound like they should be avoided. They are gamifying you.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2018, 11:47 AM   #3
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Typical these days
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2018, 11:50 AM   #4
sgarrity
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I wouldn’t spend a dime with a store like that.
sgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2018, 12:35 PM   #5
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
I wouldn’t spend a dime with a store like that.
Brother, all the stores are like that. Most simply hide it with more dignity

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote