The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 December 2018, 03:41 PM   #121
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinson View Post
Have been monitoring your story ... and so happy to hear the great news! Hope all goes smoothly from here.
Thanks so much! Appreciate everyone’s support and encouragement!
jbk45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 03:47 PM   #122
Helmi
"TRF" Member

LOST MY 15400ST Ruthenium!!!!!

Been eagerly following this thread on the hope of reading any good news. Man, you made my day, congratulations
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 11:02 PM   #123
PJ S
Banned

Fantastic outcome!
Relating to asking for parts to be returned, I highly doubt AP will meet that request, as depending on their state of damage, they may elect to laser fill and re-profile/polish.
In the event of swapping out too far gone parts, then any charge levied will be priced as an exchange.
You may strike it lucky given the time of year, the newness, and the whole escapade around its loss and retrieval, and AP will fix it as a goodwill gesture — whether you throw in the Daytona incident to try and earn extra pity/misfortune points is up to you, especially if the end result rewards you with something additional to be cheerful about at the end of this (trying) year.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 03:13 AM   #124
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167
Incredible news! Good things can happen. Looking forward to seeing pics and hearing the rest of the story.
Old 6 December 2018, 03:20 AM   #125
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Congrats on finding/recovering it. Hopefully everything is in tip-top shape, but either way I am sure AP can help restore it back to its glory if it isn't.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 03:37 AM   #126
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Whoa!..just saw this. Oh man, soo happy to hear the good news! Keep us posted. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk45 View Post
Condition is TBD as I haven't gotten my hands on it yet...police said it appears to be "ticking" but that the case and bracelet appear to have sustained some minor damage - whether its a ding/scratch/scrape remains to be seen but they confirmed the glass on both sides was not cracked. As soon as I get the watch back, I'm sending it straight to AP for inspection and repairs - whatever it takes to restore the watch to it's original working order and condition.

My CC insures me up to $10K for replacement or repair so praying that whatever the damages are, they're minor and easily replaced - I'm more concerned about the movement and case than the bracelet for obvious reasons as I wouldn't watch to have the watch re-cased but also hope the damage isn't so bad that it cannot be buffed out. Whether or not any potential impact damaged the movement will also have to be determined later.

The saving grace is that the watch case was fairly robust and padded - I also covered the watch in bubble wrap inside the case. I'll be curious to see if any of the damages are a result of the thief wearing and banging it around carelessly - whether or not I'll be able to prove that and pursue some kind of restitution from him is another story but I will be pursuing every legal option at my disposal.

Fingers remain crossed but I am just over the moon that my watch is recovered and am anxiously awaiting the results of the investigation as an arrest has been made.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 04:19 AM   #127
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
I’m very glad for you so far. Hopefully it will work out well! Anxious to see pics and hear the background of what was done to recover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 04:30 AM   #128
ILikeTacos
Banned

Wild story, what's the delay in getting your watch back? Any reason why you can't just go and collect it asap?
ILikeTacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 06:20 AM   #129
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202
Congratulations that’s amazing. Tell us more and share pictures of the watch when you can
dr.ns23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 07:37 AM   #130
jbk45
"TRF" Member

I received pics of my watch from the police this morning and...it isn't good. The watch was absolutely run over by a car and the compressed the watch pretty badly.

There is what appears to be substantial damage to the bezel and case in addition to several broken links on the bracelet. The crystal appears fine on both sides and the movement looks OK but there's really no way to know if it's been damaged until AP opens it up.

Based on the case damage, especially around where the plots connect to the case, I just don't see how that will be repaired and restored as the damage looks significant - ditto the bezel. The bracelet I imagine can be salvaged by replacing the broken links but I expect the bezel will surely need to be replaced - not sure if the case is salvageable.

I'm just hoping it isn't a total loss as this point but I am cautiously optimistic the movement is secure. Will time it when I get the watch back from the police to see how it's holding up. It's currently being held in evidence as part of the investigation so I just don't have more to share or offer on that front at this time.

I'll share an update when I have one.

Old 6 December 2018, 08:49 AM   #131
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Ouch - but could honestly have been a lot worse. The fact it’s still ticking according to your earlier post is also testament to proving it’s not just Rolex that can take a licking and keep ticking.

Mechanical force will damage nearly anything if the forces are right, but considering it was run over by a car, it doesn’t look too bad ! You can really see where the bezel edge took the brunt of the force and folded over itself.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 09:00 AM   #132
jhacker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I received pics of my watch from the police this morning and...it isn't good. The watch was absolutely run over by a car and the compressed the watch pretty badly.
Wow, what a crazy, unlucky string of events!
jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 09:07 AM   #133
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Wow. I read the part about being run over and expected a complete mess. Apart from the bracelet that damage could almost have been caused simply by the fall from your backpack onto a hard rough surface.

Hoping you can get it repaired quickly.
Old 6 December 2018, 09:22 AM   #134
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Yikes...

The one thing that always get me perplexed is how a stolen/lost&find item (not the ones ripped off an individual) can end up in this manner. Even stolen items have a certain value and require decent condition in the black market, but the thing always end up appearing like they got run over by a car or pried open with something.

Happy to see you got it back my friend. Send it to AP, they will perform some restoration work. Might not hurt to explain to them your situation as well, AP may do some wonders for you (not suggesting sob story, but a little explanation could provide extra care and attention to the piece).
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 09:24 AM   #135
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Ouch - but could honestly have been a lot worse. The fact it’s still ticking according to your earlier post is also testament to proving it’s not just Rolex that can take a licking and keep ticking.

Mechanical force will damage nearly anything if the forces are right, but considering it was run over by a car, it doesn’t look too bad ! You can really see where the bezel edge took the brunt of the force and folded over itself.
Yes - all; things considered, it held up really well and thank god it was in a soft padded case with a shell and bubble wrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhacker View Post
Wow, what a crazy, unlucky string of events!
It's just been an unbelievable sequence of events, I tell you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
Wow. I read the part about being run over and expected a complete mess. Apart from the bracelet that damage could almost have been caused simply by the fall from your backpack onto a hard rough surface.

Hoping you can get it repaired quickly.
I was actually surprised when I saw the pics because I really thought the watch would be intact. I guess I was hoping it wasn't really run-over but all things considered, it's in better shape than I could have expected.

My main question/concerns are 1. is the movement OK and 2. Will the watch need to be re-cased?

Once this is all said and done, I am going to wear the hell out of this watch. I was planning on babying it as it's the most valuable piece in my collection, but I'm going to really enjoy wearing it as frequently and carefully as possible until it's ready to be passed down.
Old 6 December 2018, 09:28 AM   #136
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Yikes...

The one thing that always get me perplexed is how a stolen/lost&find item (not the ones ripped off an individual) can end up in this manner. Even stolen items have a certain value and require decent condition in the black market, but the thing always end up appearing like they got run over by a car or pried open with something.

Happy to see you got it back my friend. Send it to AP, they will perform some restoration work. Might not hurt to explain to them your situation as well, AP may do some wonders for you (not suggesting sob story, but a little explanation could provide extra care and attention to the piece).
Fortunately my salesperson has been with me through every step of this experience and has been exceedingly responsive and supportive. Given the circumstances and how recent my purchase was, it would be awesome if they'd be able to work some wonders but even without that, the level of service has far exceeded my expectations. She could have been done and over with me post-sale, but she's continued to check in and responds immediately. Her boutique manager and AP corporate is aware and waiting for me to send the watch in so they can expedite service and repair.

This level of support and service has guaranteed my future business with this salesperson and boutique - just an outstanding brand experience from pre-purchase and throughout this ordeal.
Old 6 December 2018, 10:09 AM   #137
jbk45
"TRF" Member

To the many who suggested insurance policies, I'm in the process of reviewing some insurance policies - Jewelers Mutual Insurance Group's policy covers everything from theft, loss, mysterious disappearances, damage and worldwide travel...need to dig into the fine print here but the 15400 is quoted at $348 per year.
Old 6 December 2018, 11:51 AM   #138
Gh0st0
"TRF" Member

Oh wow, looks pretty good for being run over, looks like the bracelet took the brunt of the force
Gh0st0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 12:35 PM   #139
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
not ideal but still pretty good outcome from where we started. @JK45 i fell off my bike with my HULK 3 years ago. scratched the bezel up pretty bad. not ideal but its personalised now right! get this watch going but don't be obsessive about aesthetics i think because it'll still be bling with a scratch or two.
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 12:42 PM   #140
ocN55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
My heart truly melts for stories like these! I'm so glad that OP found his watch back.
It's really too bad that the watch is a bit rough but from the images it looks like it can be repaired.

Happy for you OP! And hope you've recovered well from your surgery!
ocN55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 01:42 PM   #141
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
I would get the bracelet repaired and keep it as is. It’s an amazing memory and will always remind you to persevere
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 10:38 PM   #142
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To the many who suggested insurance policies, I'm in the process of reviewing some insurance policies - Jewelers Mutual Insurance Group's policy covers everything from theft, loss, mysterious disappearances, damage and worldwide travel...need to dig into the fine print here but the 15400 is quoted at $348 per year.
My watches are insured thru JM. The coverage ranges from 1.5% - 2.5% of value. 2.5% for my Platona. Insurance is a cost of having peace of mind.
Old 7 December 2018, 12:35 AM   #143
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Quote:
That seems like a lot. My 44mm ceramic ROO is insured for $348 per year and the retail price is $34,xxx. I'm getting similar coverage on theft, loss, mysterious, etc etc.

State Farm.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 04:03 AM   #144
whan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116570CHNR, A384
Same - Jewelers Mutual has my 15450 + Tudor BB at ~$200 per year, with a stated value of $17k
whan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 04:28 AM   #145
jbk45
"TRF" Member

I think it is because of where I live in Oakland - given that insurance is quoted based on zip codes and all of the data that comes along with that. My area is improving but still sees a relatively high number of thefts/break-ins/burgarlies etc. which is likely the culprit. I'm still going to shop around for other quotes.
Old 7 December 2018, 04:33 AM   #146
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st0 View Post
Oh wow, looks pretty good for being run over, looks like the bracelet took the brunt of the force
The bracelet and the left side of the case appear to have absorbed it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
not ideal but still pretty good outcome from where we started. @JK45 i fell off my bike with my HULK 3 years ago. scratched the bezel up pretty bad. not ideal but its personalised now right! get this watch going but don't be obsessive about aesthetics i think because it'll still be bling with a scratch or two.
I hear you on the added character - I think I'd be more inclined to embrace that had the watch not been 3 weeks old and in like-new condition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
My heart truly melts for stories like these! I'm so glad that OP found his watch back.
It's really too bad that the watch is a bit rough but from the images it looks like it can be repaired.

Happy for you OP! And hope you've recovered well from your surgery!
Thanks so much! I am in physical therapy now and working my way back to a full recovery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc12 View Post
I would get the bracelet repaired and keep it as is. It’s an amazing memory and will always remind you to persevere
I'm going to see what it's like once I get it back in my possession. My request will be to have all of the damaged parts replaced and I'll ask if AP will allow me to keep the damaged original links, bezel etc as mementos.

But this truly is an almost unbelievable story and this thread will serve as a really interesting record of the entire experience that I'll be able to revisit and reflect on for (hopefully) decades to come (long live TRF!)
Old 7 December 2018, 05:19 AM   #147
SDDS
"TRF" Member

Dear Jason, I am really happy for you, I am glad that you got your watch back, despite the damages that occurred on the watch, it looks awesome, simple repair for the bracelet will do the job and the bezel needs to be replaced and the case can refinished with special AP laser engraving I don't think that its needs to be replaced unless AP finds something else during diagnosing the watch. congratulations once again, btw I have like yours but blue dial :):)
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 05:24 AM   #148
19GT3RS
Banned

Did the police tell you details as to where and how they found the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
19GT3RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 05:33 AM   #149
Ripcode
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quite the adventure this watch is taking!
Ripcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 03:21 AM   #150
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19GT3RS View Post
Did the police tell you details as to where and how they found the watch.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not yet - investigation is ongoing and I probably won't get all the details for another week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcode View Post
Quite the adventure this watch is taking!
I know - it's comical at this point but all I can do is be grateful for the fact I know it'll be back on my wrist at some point.