The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 December 2018, 10:09 AM   #121
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post
It really depends where you work.

So a doctor in a NYC hospital wearing a $90,000 rose gold Patek 5980 will stick out and will be the talk of the floor and will have a reputation for being flamboyant/show off; even if he is not!

Same applies to the doctor wearing the same watch in his private practice. Patients will notice...and that’s never a good thing when a patient says to you “wow, that looks expensive, doc”.

I really think the “wear what you want advice” is just too general and inaccurate.

Wear what you want .........on the weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol: given how little most docs make in NY coupled with the cost of living, I'm surprised there are many docs there who could even afford a $90K PP.

But to your point, I agree. I'm an oncologist and I am quite self conscious about wearing my Rolexes to work. I would rather avoid the possible thoughts of "my illness helped pay for your watch!??" that may enter their mind.
Honestly, no patient has ever commented when I have worn a rolex, but that's not to say they haven't thought the above.
And most of them are not sophisticated enough watch wise to know anything about my Panerai or my GO, which is why I wear those far more often.

I have a few very wealthy patients who do know watches and have a Richard Mille, PP, etc, and we love talking watches. But I can count them on one hand.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 10:11 AM   #122
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-heffe View Post
I can relate in a different way. I bought a high end sports car years ago. Very few people were polite or just didn't say anything. That's fine but the other 99% freely felt to offer their advice on how I should of bought X, Y or Z instead. For weeks (or maybe months), I'd smile and offer a counter point such as "X doesn't corner as good" or "Y is MUCH more expensive.". It started to get REALLY old after awhile. Eventually, I simply told people, "When you have the money, you can buy what you want."

For the other car guys, Doug DeMuro had a youtube episode where he discussed what it was like having a Ferrari as a daily driver. (My car wasn't THAT nice) He had similar experiences too. The Drawbacks of Owning an Exotic Car and The Drawbacks of Owning an Exotic Car

I'm not thin skinned but it happened so much (and even with complete strangers at gas stations) that it got REALLY old. Actually, I had forgot completely about it until replying to your post.

If the watch draws enough attention, you'll grow tired of just smiling, thinking of a witty response and shrugging it off.

Buy what you love, but be aware that not every one will "enjoy" it with you.
As a fellow car guy, I completely agree.

The stupid comments I received frequently when I had my 997.2 GTS got tiresome.
Old 18 December 2018, 10:29 AM   #123
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by t65tampa View Post
I wear what I want. Simple as that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
I'm the boss of myself and I wear what I want. Pretty simple really.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 10:33 AM   #124
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
lol: given how little most docs make in NY coupled with the cost of living, I'm surprised there are many docs there who could even afford a $90K PP.

But to your point, I agree. I'm an oncologist and I am quite self conscious about wearing my Rolexes to work. I would rather avoid the possible thoughts of "my illness helped pay for your watch!??" that may enter their mind.
Honestly, no patient has ever commented when I have worn a rolex, but that's not to say they haven't thought the above.
And most of them are not sophisticated enough watch wise to know anything about my Panerai or my GO, which is why I wear those far more often.

I have a few very wealthy patients who do know watches and have a Richard Mille, PP, etc, and we love talking watches. But I can count them on one hand.
i never understood how people could say "my illness helped pay for your watch" like do they think doctors work for minimum wage? lol and if they think you're paid too much they can just go to a shitty doctor. its not an easy field and people shouldn't complain when you are helping their illnesses

my dentist has a SS daytona and my primary care doctor has a gold daytona on a leather strap. tbh i think its cool that they are enjoying the money they earn. i know they worked their asses off to get there so no shame, but i guess i'm a reasonable person and there are a lot of unreasonable people out there
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 10:51 AM   #125
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post
You are absolutely correct . Even my kids know Patek from Instagram and all the lyrics.

It's all good.

I'm from Philly and we suffer from a serious inferiority complex when it comes to NYC.

So my immediate gut reaction is to pick a fight with the Doctor from NYC.

LOL!

All in good fun...
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 10:57 AM   #126
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 11:00 AM   #127
theloxmyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhenish View Post
I think people notice and react way more to cars (cause they have a sense of the price) than they do to watches. Buy what you want. If you have a really sensitive situation wear another watch for one day. I wear an explorer II or my running watch when I need something not noticeable. No one knows what it is or cares.
THEM: "Since it's a ROLEX (my ExplorerII) it must have cost at least $500.00."

ME, "Yes."

theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 11:02 AM   #128
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i never understood how people could say "my illness helped pay for your watch" like do they think doctors work for minimum wage? lol and if they think you're paid too much they can just go to a shitty doctor. its not an easy field and people shouldn't complain when you are helping their illnesses

my dentist has a SS daytona and my primary care doctor has a gold daytona on a leather strap. tbh i think its cool that they are enjoying the money they earn. i know they worked their asses off to get there so no shame, but i guess i'm a reasonable person and there are a lot of unreasonable people out there
thanks for the kind words-- much appreciated.

It would just be easier if I didn't love watches.....lol.

I'm about to buy the CHNR, to add to my LVC and 116500's.
the daytonas go under the radar the most, but I'm wary of wearing the CHNR to be honest, just b/c of the attention the RG may get.

I think a better way to put it is this:
I really care about my patients and I'm just wary of giving the appearance of 'showing off' (even though that's not my intent) while they're often times struggling-- fighting for their lives battling cancer.
That's what I meant when I said I'm wary of how it may come off.......it's more about being sensitive to my patients.

With respect to colleagues, that's a different story. If a fellow physician is going to be jealous of my watches, I don't care.
I didn't choose to have 5 kids like they did...........so I likely have more disposable income to do what I want with.
Old 18 December 2018, 11:14 AM   #129
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

the daytonas go under the radar the most, but I'm wary of wearing the CHNR to be honest, just b/c of the attention the RG may get.

I really care about my patients and I'm just wary of giving the appearance of 'showing off' (even though that's not my intent) while they're often times struggling-- fighting for their lives battling cancer.
That's what I meant when I said I'm wary of how it may come off.......it's more about being sensitive to my patients.

With respect to colleagues, that's a different story. If a fellow physician is going to be jealous of my watches, I don't care.
I didn't choose to have 5 kids like they did...........so I likely have more disposable income to do what I want with.
i can definitely see what you mean with cancer patients fighting for their lives while you're wearing an expensive watch. its a shitty situation and its impossible for you to not have sympathy for them but at the same time they look for the best possible doctor they can get and they know that's not cheap

i wouldn't worry too much about a chnr, RG for sure doesn't attract the kind of attention a YG rolex would and i don't think many people see RG and associate it with rolex

its all about the attitude in the end and you seem to have the right attitude with your patients
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 11:14 AM   #130
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

It's obvious you are very sensitive to your patients...and I applaud that. But, speaking from a patient's viewpoint, you are certainly welcome to wear whatever watch you want. The majority of us aren't going to notice and I think most of us who do are going to appreciate your taste in watches as opposed to resent you for it.

Oh, and excellent choice on the CHNR. I think you'll be very pleased with it.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 11:20 AM   #131
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Envious people will always seek to harm others, whether or not you have a gold watch, buy it if you like it, and share it with us in this rolexholic forum!.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 11:28 AM   #132
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
I have a solution for you.

Step 1: buy one of this for $59.99

Step 2: wear the shiny gold Invicta to work. Show it off to anyone who you believe would give you hard time about a YG Rolex. Be sure to brag to them how cheaply you get this beautiful YELLOW GOLD Invicta.

Do this for a week. Then put your YG Rolex on. Nobody would bother to look twice at your Rolex by then.
Your a sly one indeed! Great idea! After everyone asks about the cheap gold watch, nobody will care when you do the switch. Brilliant! Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 11:47 AM   #133
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Much appreciated Huncho and Larry

Larry-- thanks, I can't wait. That watch wasn't even on the radar until my AD asked me if I knew anyone who wanted one........it was the only one they've gotten in all of 2018 (c/w 3 Pepsi's). So I went in myself to check it out.

When I tried it on, it looked much better than I would have imagined........ I never thought I would be down with any TT watch, but this watch is a different story and needs to be seen in person, as many on here have said.
Old 18 December 2018, 11:52 AM   #134
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentindustries View Post
Gonna have to disagree with you on that one. Client/boss perception and ego can make or break your career.

OP,
I think it depends on your business environment. If my stock broker drives a beater and has a timex- yeaaa I am gonna look at that as a bad thing. He is in a new S550 with a Platona- gotta be doing something right. Guy selling me a car in a YG Sub, I will think he is raking me over the coals. Head guy of a machine shop- all the guys are going to grumble that you are paid way more than them. If you are in a client facing position it could be hit or miss.

As others said, a WG or Plat would be a good low key way to have a PM but not advertise it.
+ 1

I'd like to say wear what you want without paying any mind to your professional circumstances but it can and does matter based on your situation. I own a handful of steel rolexes which I have worn and seriously enjoyed for years, but have been considering acquiring a PM piece lately myself. Would be over the moon to pull off acquiring a yellow gold Paul Newman dial Daytona or an everose black dial Daytona, but I can't lie - the thought of what some people might think if they realize I'm wearing a 30k watch has crossed my mind. (I'm 32) Having said that, I still think its only a matter of saving before it happens, and I'll wear it proudly.
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 11:56 AM   #135
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanO View Post
+ 1

I'd like to say wear what you want without paying any mind to your professional circumstances but it can and does matter based on your situation. I own a handful of steel rolexes which I have worn and seriously enjoyed for years, but have been considering acquiring a PM piece lately myself. Would be over the moon to pull off acquiring a yellow gold Paul Newman dial Daytona or an everose black dial Daytona, but I can't lie - the thought of what some people might think if they realize I'm wearing a 30k watch has crossed my mind. (I'm 32) Having said that, I still think its only a matter of saving before it happens, and I'll wear it proudly.
The fact that you're only 32 are talking about getting a $30K PM watch is amazing.
Congrats on your success....... go get that watch!
Screw what 'some people' might think. Most will be asking "what did he do right with his life to be able to afford that watch at just 32?"
Old 18 December 2018, 12:10 PM   #136
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
As a fellow car guy, I completely agree.

The stupid comments I received frequently when I had my 997.2 GTS got tiresome.
I can relate to this as well. I also have a weakness for cars, but don't drive one for the attention. I purchased a low mileage Audi R8 shortly after they were released and couldn't believe the attention the car received. I would come out of the grocery story and there would be a crowd around my car, every time. Getting gas became a hassle. And I like talking about cars! The occasional nod from a fellow enthusiast is gratifying, but the questions like "What do you do" and "How much did it cost" are a total turn off. I ended up trading it in for a 997 911 and nobody ever noticed.
Old 18 December 2018, 12:17 PM   #137
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The fact that you're only 32 are talking about getting a $30K PM watch is amazing.
Congrats on your success....... go get that watch!
Screw what 'some people' might think. Most will be asking "what did he do right with his life to be able to afford that watch at just 32?"
Thank you! I will be consolidating several pieces to be able to pull this one off, and am still looking for the right watch. Hoping I can find a nice like new example soon, and that equity markets stop dropping like a rock!
Old 18 December 2018, 12:27 PM   #138
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
It call comes down to one of the most valuable traits an individual may have--emotional intelligence or the ability to relate to others. If people cannot relate to you, cannot establish rapport. Without rapport any business that depends on close relationships will suffer. In today's world where automation enters new jobs every day that ability is priceless. You either get it or you do not.
Old 18 December 2018, 01:25 PM   #139
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTockChuck View Post
Your a sly one indeed! Great idea! After everyone asks about the cheap gold watch, nobody will care when you do the switch. Brilliant! Cheers!
Thanks, that’s the idea!
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 02:11 PM   #140
Anestheticsaregood
"TRF" Member

I work in healthcare. More specifically in the OR providing anesthesia and wearing my TT GMT has gotten some attention and comments from other staff and I definitely see patients looking at it. Polar explorer II does not garner as much attention and neither does the hulk. However, people do pick up on what you're wearing in that clinical environment as you are always in short sleeves and you don't have much other personal stuff to wear so what you wear on your wrist stands out. Full gold would definitely pop. I feel as if people don't want to be reminded that someone may earn more money than they do and any negative results of wearing my rolexes at work are outweighed by any positives. As of late I have resigned myself to exclusively wearing my Apple Watch as that's what a lot of other people wear. I have been thinking of getting a YG sub blue dial but I am aware that I will likely never wear it to work and then I thought I am at work a lot... so if I don't wear it there where will I wear it? Which got me thinking maybe it doesn't make sense to get one if it doesn't fit into my lifestyle... I may opt for biting the bullet and getting a SS white dial Daytona at above MSRP (I know I know but the only play I have is to try to get one or another model when I buy my weddings bands from my AD and bundle the purchase).... Anyway, my point is that as much as I want to wear my watches at work and feel I deserve to do so and curse what others may think they can definitely garner unwanted attention and cause "haters to hate." With a stressful enough job I don't need the added negative vibes.
Anestheticsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 05:45 AM   #141
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:

If I needed to visit you professionally and notice that you are wearing a CHNR that would lighten up my miserable day for sure.
Old 19 December 2018, 06:10 AM   #142
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
I have a solution for you.

Step 1: buy one of this for $59.99

Step 2: wear the shiny gold Invicta to work. Show it off to anyone who you believe would give you hard time about a YG Rolex. Be sure to brag to them how cheaply you get this beautiful YELLOW GOLD Invicta.

Do this for a week. Then put your YG Rolex on. Nobody would bother to look twice at your Rolex by then.

Brilliant!!!

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:23 AM   #143
GeeRam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttomczak View Post
Get a Golf R, same as a white gold Rolex (well sort of lol), most will have no idea what it can do and you will have a blast.
You won't have it long in the UK to have a blast..... as Golf R's are the most stolen car in UK at the moment, and in some areas of UK are now close to being uninsurable.

Plus,
Tudor Black Bay 'Black Rose'
Tutima 1941 Fliegerchronograph 18ct
GeeRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:28 AM   #144
Burlington
"TRF" Member

This is why I prefer AP. Still fits to me perfectly but is infinitely less recognisable.

Bottom line is at some points in everyone’s life the opinion of another will matter. Like it or not.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:57 AM   #145
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The funny thing is not client, coworker, friend etc. would think twice if you owned a $50,000 pickup truck, even though you could get a perfectly fine pickup for half of that. Yet if you wear a $10,000 watch everyone thinks it's flaunting your wealth, in bad taste, disrespectful to those who earn less. But it is what it is - people have preconceived notions about you if you wear a Rolex so I understand adjusting your watch based on your job.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 07:13 AM   #146
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
That's the beauty of the 5711.. most people have zero idea what it is... they'll be like no Rolex today and I say nah I got this cheapo watch, I'll wear the Rolex on special occasions... they just nod
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 08:30 AM   #147
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
I wear my Everose DD to work. Most of the other people who work in my office at my level wear a Rolex. However, most of our clients don’t do as well as we do so I usually pull my sleeve over it when I work with them. The owner of my company wears a WG Sky Dweller and he’s been known to complain about how much he pays us so it’s also covered when he’s around.

I tend to hide mine from juniors also
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 08:37 AM   #148
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
You had better believe boss/client perception matters. Fortunately for me, I am the boss, so that's one down. However, I have had some very inappropriate comments about my watch(es) from several employees at my largest client. I know, Its odd, but has happened, several times. I now keep a pair of Tudors in my desk, if I have to go see them I swap out.

That may sound weird, but take this way out there hypothetical, if some door to door salesman knocked on your door trying to sell you a vacuum cleaner but he was wearing a $3000 suit, gold rolex, and just stepped out of a limo, you might be inclined to think "get out of here." Further, has other have mentioned, but not exactly to this point, right tool for the right task - don't over cook it. If you face the public I find it wise to know your target audience.

I know a guy that used to be an account rep for UPS, they made them drive nothing more than a Honda Accord. They didn't want the perception problems. Also, our office was looking at insurance renewals and we were not pleased with the pricing and service we were getting from our agent. The last day we met with him even he was complaining about the pricing we were being given, but he walked out of our office, in a very expensive suit, got in his Jag and drove off, we never called him back.
I would rather not wear anything than swap my PM watch
Old 19 December 2018, 08:38 AM   #149
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post
There is a world of difference between a yg sub and lets say a Calatrava. A yg gold sub/Rolex is polarising. Some love it and some see it as bad taste. Personaly i wouldnt wear one dealing with customers or business relations even if i liked it. Why risk loosing a customer because of a watch. You might think people do not care, but trust me some actualy do and it can make the difference of getting that sale/deal/hot date or not.
Solid Gold Sub will get the hot date.
Works every time...
Old 19 December 2018, 08:41 AM   #150
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfPunk View Post
It means you care about what other people think way too much.