The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 December 2018, 04:34 AM   #1
elcabo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Is this a good idea?

I'm a broke law student who won't be pulling in a real salary until at least October of next year. With all the rage about the waiting lists and supposed shortage of stainless steel sport models, should I just get on a waiting list now for say a Batman or a Daytona, and then just sit back and wait? I don't have a sense of urgency since I obviously don't have the cash on hand, so I figured this might be a good compromise.
elcabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 04:36 AM   #2
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

I would say go for it. You most likely won't be getting one soon. And even if you did get the call, but didn't have the funds yet, you can always just let the next person in line ahead of you.
FirstF80InSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 04:38 AM   #3
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Why not? Even if your name is called, there is no obligation to buy. To me it’s being proactive
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 04:38 AM   #4
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Nothing wrong with getting on the waitlist now, that's probably part of the reason why they're so long (people getting on 5 lists but only needing 1 watch).

The problem is unless you're a vetted buyer you may as well not even exist on that AD's radar. They aren't going to sell you a BLNR or BLRO until you've become a vetted buyer (meaning buying something else), and DEFINITELY not a Daytona.

So would it hurt to go ahead and get on the list? No, not at all. Will you help you? Probably also no.
Old 19 December 2018, 04:39 AM   #5
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I don't know...when I was broke, buying Rolex watches was not even remotely on my mind.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 04:39 AM   #6
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
No
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 04:51 AM   #7
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
FOMO could lead to bad decisions. I think purchasing a Rolex should be the last thing on your mind. I've always wanted one but purchased my first one after being in a position where I didn't have to think twice about dropping that kind of coin. From the time when I first wanted one until I was able to buy one, the price jumped and the availability disappeared. But it's all relative because if I tried to buy one 15 years ago, it would have been a struggle even at the lower price. So at this point in my life I can easily pay a premium if I have to have it.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 04:53 AM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcabo View Post
I'm a broke law student who won't be pulling in a real salary until at least October of next year.
If I were in this position, no this would not be a good idea for me.

Getting on a waiting list to buy high end expensive luxury jewelry is concerning you?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 04:55 AM   #9
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Get on the list
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 04:59 AM   #10
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm a broke law student who won't be pulling in a real salary until at least October of next year.
Lawyers fresh out of school don't pull in "real" salary. Focus on saving and paying off debt. You'll be better in the long run.

No one will judge you for not having a Rolex. However, you'll judge yourself for being in debt.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 04:59 AM   #11
mas12
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
It's only a good idea if you have the discipline to say no if the watch you want comes up sooner.

For a BLNR, it's not out of the realm of possibilities you could get a call within the next year. So if you want to get on a list now (assuming they'll even let you on), then go ahead as long as you know you'll be able to tell yourself no if one comes up in say, March.

On the other hand, if you're making lawyer money then come October maybe it won't hurt so much paying grey prices for a BLNR!

Rolex SubC 116610LN
mas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 04:59 AM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

im betting anywhere between 3-9 pay rises at your job by the time the daytona arrives so you will be rolling in dough by then
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 05:00 AM   #13
elcabo
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the concern for my personal finances, but that's not my question. I luckily won't have any debt when I finish school and I'll be living at home to save money. Even then, I'll probably flip my OP to help finance this future purchase. Thanks for the awesome feedback so far!!
Old 19 December 2018, 05:14 AM   #14
elcabo
"TRF" Member

I guess I should have provided more context with regard to the financial scenario. I've secured a job paying over six figures (starting in October) and I luckily won't have student loan debt. I'll also be living at home with my parents. Further, I'll probably flip my OP36 to help finance this purchase. I get it, some people wait until they are further along to purchase a Rolex, but I was fortunate enough to get started early, and this is my one true hobby. Thanks for all the great feedback so far!
Old 19 December 2018, 05:51 AM   #15
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
I am an attorney who just retired. Wait until you can comfortably afford it.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 05:57 AM   #16
Brew
"TRF" Member

That's nuts! You should buy a new stereo with your first paycheck, like I did. Then get the watch.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 05:58 AM   #17
Wedders
"TRF" Member

It’s Sod’s law that because you don’t have the money you will get a quick call offering you one.
Wedders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:00 AM   #18
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Lawyers fresh out of school don't pull in "real" salary. Focus on saving and paying off debt. You'll be better in the long run.

No one will judge you for not having a Rolex. However, you'll judge yourself for being in debt.

This is sensible advice.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:02 AM   #19
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Put your name on the list. If you get the call before you can afford the watch, let one of us know and we will gladly purchase the watch.
Old 19 December 2018, 07:00 AM   #20
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
You might as well get on for a SS Daytona or Blro if you can.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 07:06 AM   #21
elcabo
"TRF" Member

n

I should've given a little more context... I secured a job that will pay over six figures (starting in October). Luckily, I have no student loan debt, and I will be living with my parents to save money. Further, I will probably flip my OP36 to help with this future purchase. I realize some people wait until they are further along in their careers to purchase a Rolex, but I got started pretty early (at 18).
Old 19 December 2018, 07:15 AM   #22
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Do it. Life is short. Plenty of years ahead of you to do sensible things! Just don’t do anything reckless, if you don’t have the cash when you get the call, pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 08:05 AM   #23
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Get on a list or lists. Like others have said. It doesn't hurt. What school do you go to? Is it a top-tier school? If it's not, are you top 10 in your class? Do you have any connections 4 jobs? Do you have a job or do you have one lined up? what makes you think that you are going to secure a position practicing law for money after you graduate & pass the bar??? are you going to live at home with your parents? Are you living at home with your parents? Do they help fund your schooling, and do they help with other things and expenses in your life? How much is in your savings? Do you plan on getting married anytime soon? I could ask at least another hundred questions, all of which could be very relevant in assisting you to not only put your name on the list but so ultimately take the plunge for a purchase. But I don't think it's a wise idea to base your decision on members who do not know many critical or key elements about your current wife and finances other than your general declaration You are a broke law student.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you get what you are looking for and I do wear it in good health why enjoying whatever you perceive to be success.
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 08:05 AM   #24
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I should've given a little more context... I secured a job that will pay over six figures (starting in October). Luckily, I have no student loan debt, and I will be living with my parents to save money. Further, I will probably flip my OP36 to help with this future purchase. I realize some people wait until they are further along in their careers to purchase a Rolex, but I got started pretty early (at 18).
What about a house, car, family, retirement savings and surviving autonomously on your own? Is a Rolex more important? If so then you have your answer.

That six-figure income might not always be there. Are you walking into a family business or working for someone else?
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 08:39 AM   #25
elcabo
"TRF" Member

Whoa

My goodness, I didn't expect this level of hostility... As I mentioned earlier, I secured a job that will pay over 6 figures. I start that position in October. It is with a good established law firm. Luckily, I do not have student loan debt. Of course I will save/invest. I am an economics major after all. The question was whether it is a good idea to get on a waitlist now, since I probably won't get the call from an AD until I start my position in October. The question was not whether or not I can afford a batman or daytona. As stated earlier, I don't have student loan debt and I will probably flip my OP36 to help make the purchase.
Old 19 December 2018, 08:40 AM   #26
elcabo
"TRF" Member

w

Whoa, I didn't expect this level of hostility... As I stated earlier, I secured a job that will pay over six figures (starting in October). It is with a well-established law firm that I have a longstanding relationship with. Of course I will invest and save, I was an economics major after all. Also as stated earlier, I have no student loan debt and will probably flip my OP36 to help with the purchase. My question was whether it's a good idea to get on a waiting list now since it will probably take at least many months to get a batman or daytona. By that time I will be employed and have income. Respectfully, I didn't ask for personal finance advice.
Old 19 December 2018, 08:41 AM   #27
1WatchDawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610T Sub Date
Get on the list for a Daytona white dial, you'll probably make partner by the time you get the call. Good Luck!!!!!!!
1WatchDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 08:49 AM   #28
TheFuture
"TRF" Member

Yes you should! Why? Life is to short not to do or have what you want.
TheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 08:49 AM   #29
Ar_Mi
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few
I agree with everyone, gettin on a list doesn't require a down payment.. so why not. You can always change your mind and not get it.
Ar_Mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 08:54 AM   #30
juktagt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
On one hand, you can always turn it down if and when they call you.

On the othr hand, it may force you into buying when the time isn’t right. I have avoided putting my name down for this reason, as I know if the dealer were to ring, I’d find it hard to pass up the chance just because the chance is there.