The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 January 2024, 01:47 AM   #31
Rolex320
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY.. View Post
Review the link:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=309522
Also set up a photo hosting location with any of the many sites like imgur or photobucket or tapatalk or whoever you prefer.
Thank you
Rolex320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 01:59 AM   #32
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
All original and checked out.
As mentioned it was common to change dials etc. Actually it still is, only a relatively short while ago I had a dial swapped at the time of purchase at an AD.

Nobody cares about a movement number anyway, doesn;t impact value at all.
Enjoy your watches
Old 15 January 2024, 02:11 AM   #33
Rolex320
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
As mentioned it was common to change dials etc. Actually it still is, only a relatively short while ago I had a dial swapped at the time of purchase at an AD.

Enjoy your watches
Ok thanks for the feedback.
Old 15 January 2024, 02:49 AM   #34
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex320 View Post
That’s interesting. So what is your verdict in regards to the authenticity of this watch then? The Watchmaker said everything checked out in regards to genuine Rolex parts, but it just seems like a mixture of parts. Would you hold onto them or would you return them?

You keep saying return “them”. Is the other one O.K.? Were they sold as a set? If the dial on the watch did not exist at the time the watch was manufactured, then someone swapped it later, and it wasn’t RSC. Rolex will only swap dials that were available for that same watch. That being the case, I would return them. If you are confident that all parts are genuine Rolex, and intend to keep them in the family, rather than resell them, at some point, consider keeping them. If not, get your money back. You might also consider paying a much lower price (getting some money back), for the mismatched one, if you are keeping them in the family.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 02:59 AM   #35
Rolex320
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
You keep saying return “them”. Is the other one O.K.? Were they sold as a set? If the dial on the watch did not exist at the time the watch was manufactured, then someone swapped it later, and it wasn’t RSC. Rolex will only swap dials that were available for that same watch. That being the case, I would return them. If you are confident that all parts are genuine Rolex, and intend to keep them in the family, rather than resell them, at some point, consider keeping them. If not, get your money back. You might also consider paying a much lower price (getting some money back), for the mismatched one, if you are keeping them in the family.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Both watches were sold as a set and both did not have the original dial on it. I brought in the 36 mm yesterday to get checked out and that’s when I was told that the movement serial number is also not from the original purchase but I will be bringing in the 26 mm sometime this week to check if it has the same issue. I wasn’t told that the exchanged dials were not age-appropriate, so I’m assuming the ones that are on there now were available at the time when these watches were made. From what I’m hearing, it was not uncommon for authorized dealers to swap out the dials in the 90s. In this case, it looks like the movement was also switched with the dial switch, possibly because it was less tedious this way. The seller is willing to give me a $500 credit due to this discrepancy or he’ll take the return of both watches and refund me the money. Everything looks good, per the Watchmaker. Both of them look like brand new condition and I’m not sure I can find a better deal, so I’m strongly contemplating just holding onto them and wearing them.
Old 15 January 2024, 04:15 AM   #36
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
I can’t imagine the Watchmaker would give me false information, let alone make up what he saw in his database. If there was no record, I’m sure he would tell me there was nothing in the system.
You have 30 year old watches, examples that are before the giant data bases and capabilities that exist today.

It is very likely that older watches came from the factory slightly different than they may have been originally programmed for, or they have "place holder" information that needs to be updated when in for service. It may also be that over 30 years previous owners have changed things.

Young watchmaker and young folks who will die on their swords of digital technology have issues if data doesn't "match". Most of the rest of us know that data has never been perfect, especially during the era when paperwork is reentered just to make up a previously non-existent database.

If the watches you have do not please you and have issues that will bother you, get some that fit your views.
Old 15 January 2024, 04:33 AM   #37
jedione65
"TRF" Member

I think I have a solution for the OP, since you have spent a significant amount of time getting these watches checked out and still not pleased with the results. My advice is if you are really bothered by all this despite what everyone says here, return them. I think you’re better off buying a modern Rolex from an AD. That way you can make sure everything is correct. That is the only way you will know, a watch you bought new yourself.
jedione65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 04:39 AM   #38
Rolex320
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedione65 View Post
I think I have a solution for the OP, since you have spent a significant amount of time getting these watches checked out and still not pleased with the results. My advice is if you are really bothered by all this despite what everyone says here, return them. I think you’re better off buying a modern Rolex from an AD. That way you can make sure everything is correct. That is the only way you will know, a watch you bought new yourself.
You are correct….I have done quite a bit of research because I think it’s important to know what I have in my possession. Nowhere have I said I am displeased with the results of my findings. All I was asking is whether this is something that is possible in regards to the switch in movement serial. In actuality, I am very pleased with how the watches look. I just want some assurance from others who have seen this type of thing.
Old 15 January 2024, 04:41 AM   #39
Rolex320
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
You have 30 year old watches, examples that are before the giant data bases and capabilities that exist today.

It is very likely that older watches came from the factory slightly different than they may have been originally programmed for, or they have "place holder" information that needs to be updated when in for service. It may also be that over 30 years previous owners have changed things.

Young watchmaker and young folks who will die on their swords of digital technology have issues if data doesn't "match". Most of the rest of us know that data has never been perfect, especially during the era when paperwork is reentered just to make up a previously non-existent database.

If the watches you have do not please you and have issues that will bother you, get some that fit your views.
These findings don’t bother me and original factory parts is not a do or die for me. I just wanted input from others, whether this was normal practice.
Old 15 January 2024, 05:35 AM   #40
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
I can’t imagine the Watchmaker would give me false information, let alone make up what he saw in his database. If there was no record, I’m sure he would tell me there was nothing in the system.
In the real world, watchmakers and dealers, especially dealers, give out incorrect information all the time. It is not uncommon at all - which pertains to both intentional and unintentional information.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 05:40 AM   #41
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post

Enjoy your watches
I agree.

Based on my experience, a movement swap means nothing to near nothing, for most collectors/owners. There are several reasons that a Rolex could have a movement that doesn't match Rolex records. I've never had anyone ask me about the originality of a movement during the past 30 years of buying, selling and trading Rolex.

After all, we aren't talking about original, classic, car engines with matching serial numbers that could significantly impact the car's value.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 15 January 2024, 05:45 AM   #42
Rolex320
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I agree.

Based on my experience, a movement swap means nothing to near nothing, for most collectors/owners. There are several reasons that a Rolex could have a movement that doesn't match Rolex records. I've never had anyone ask me about the originality of a movement during the past 30 years of buying, selling and trading Rolex.

After all, we aren't talking about original, classic, car engines with matching serial numbers that could significantly impact the car's value.
Thanks for the input.
Old 15 January 2024, 05:51 AM   #43
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I purchased a 36 mm and 26 mm, new old stock, datejust watches, 18k/steel. Years are 1993 and 1991. I received all paperwork and boxes along with both watches, and purchased from a reputable seller. I’m someone who does a lot of research on things so I took them both to an authorized Rolex dealer and showed them to an on-site Watchmaker in their service center. An initial inspection, he said everything seems to check out and looks good and then he brought them in back to do some further research. He checked the serial numbers against his system and the 36 mm was initially sold with a steel Roman dial, and the 26 mm was originally sold with with the diamond dial. The 36 mm that I purchased instead had the diamond dial in Champaign and the 26 mm had just the regular champagne dial with hash marks. He said it wasn’t odd back in those years for dealers to switch out the dial for customers.
At this point, I left the store, satisfied enough, that I had an authentic set of watches.
I still wanted to make sure that the guts of the watch was authentic, do I went back and he removed the back cover, and again on first inspection everything looked fine, but when he checked the casing cover serial number, and it did not match to what was listed in the system for this particular watch….this was on the 36mm. So basically, it looks like the movement inside of the watch is from a different watch and he stated that it’s possible that when they were changing out the dial, they just moved everything over from one watch to another. Of course he can’t guarantee this, and he did not dismantle the watch to see all the other parts inside, but like he said, from what he saw, visually everything seem to be OK.
Now my question is, would you return these watches, knowing that the internal serial number is different from the serial number that it originally came with? He stated that if I ever wanted to do service on the swatch, they wouldn’t be able to do it on site and would have to send it out to Rolex because of the conflicting serial numbers. These are beautiful watches, and they are in new condition and I’m torn between keeping them, or returning them…which the Jeweler is offering me a return if I’m not satisfied. The Jeweler said he would even go so far as to refund me $500 of the cost. Basically, I just need some advice as to whether I’ll be able to ever turn this around and sell it due to the discrepancy. I also am wondering if this decreases the value of these watches. Or should I just wear them and enjoy them? Give me all your pros and cons to keeping or returning. And will Rolex service them with the conflicting serial numbers?? The Watchmaker couldn’t give me a definitive answer on that because he told me he has not come across anything like this.
Sounds to me like the watchmaker is correct about swapping out the
dial/movement. Someone did a dial/movement swap from another watch and instead of changing out the dials, they removed the complete movement and dial assembly from each watch and swapped them around. This was not uncommon back in the day.

Old 15 January 2024, 05:53 AM   #44
Rolex320
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Sounds to me like the watchmaker is correct about swapping out the
dial/movement. Someone did a dial/movement swap from another watch and instead of changing out the dials, they removed the complete movement and dial assembly from each watch and swapped them around. This was not uncommon back in the day.
Thanks. Does this take away any value of the watch or am I good, if I ever decide to sell down the road?
Old 15 January 2024, 06:29 AM   #45
goldfixer21
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks. Does this take away any value of the watch or am I good, if I ever decide to sell down the road?
If this was an extremely rare model, it might be something to consider, but being that the watches in question are not rare, having movements that are period correct but possibly not original to the watch, has no impact on the value, IMO.
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 06:31 AM   #46
Rolex320
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfixer21 View Post
If this was an extremely rare model, it might be something to consider, but being that the watches in question are not rare, having movements that are period correct but possibly not original to the watch, has no impact on the value, IMO.
Thank you for your input.
Old 15 January 2024, 06:56 AM   #47
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
As my friend goldfixer mentioned, affecting the value for a circa 1990s Datejust with a dial/movement swap goes, for me, probably not at all.