The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: BLNR at MSRP vs BLRO at Grey
BLNR at MSRP 213 79.78%
BLRO at Grey 54 20.22%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 January 2024, 02:29 PM   #31
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Obviously MSRP would be nice.

A lot depends on how much you value your time.
Laine V38 - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 02:42 PM   #32
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Time to visit a more accommodating AD.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 02:47 PM   #33
Wrathchild
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Who cares about the means. To me money or not is is stupid to pay 20k for a 10k watch.
Completely agree! Doubling the cost for a watch make little sense, especially with the potential involvement of grey market flippers. Personally, I'd opt to explore other options rather than succumb to such choices. Just silly
Wrathchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 03:06 PM   #34
Big Kahuna 0311
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pelagos
You could switch it up and go with a Tudor Pepsi. The new opal one dial will add plenty of color!
Big Kahuna 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 03:44 PM   #35
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
First, don’t buy a BLRO/Pepsi now as the rumors have artificially inflated their street market price. Let the new Rolex releases drop for 2024 and you will see the BLRO come back down $4k. I have owned both BLNR and BLRO and they are equal at what they do and what you get.
That said, your AD doesn’t have a clue what Rolex is going to do in 2024. No one does. Buy the watch you love because if you compromise, you won’t be happy regardless how much money you thing you saved.
This. It’s great advice.

Submariner 126619LB + GMT II 126710BLRO + Explorer II 126570 Polar + Daytona 116500LN (White) + Submariner 16610LV + Explorer II 16570 Polar +
Daytona 116500LN (Black) + Submariner 116610LV + GMT II 16713 Rootbeer + Sky-Dweller 336934 (Blue) + GMT II 16710 (Pepsi & Coke) + Sea-Dweller 116600

2FA Security Active
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 08:46 PM   #36
SvenNikolai
"TRF" Member

I know the BLRO because my brother owns one. It's really beautiful. I only knew the BLNR from the photos on the internet. I never really knew if she was something for me. Then I followed advice here from the forum that you actually have to put a watch on your own wrist to be able to form an opinion. In the end I did exactly that and was immediately enthusiastic about the BLNR and expressed my interest.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G990B mit Tapatalk
SvenNikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 11:12 PM   #37
Bazil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nicknames �
BLNR looks so much better, and if achievable take that.
Who knows what’s happening with GMT this year, it’s 80th Anniversary, iirc, so anything can happen.
BLRO could discontinue or change to 41mm , who knows, but I’m sure BLNR will tick many a box ..

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 11:17 PM   #38
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
One thing I’ve learned is that buying a runner up watch has never worked out for me.

You’ll always be jonesing for the one you really want
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 11:47 PM   #39
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
One thing I’ve learned is that buying a runner up watch has never worked out for me.

This….
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 11:53 PM   #40
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:

This 100%. Do what you have to in order to get the BLRO (your first choice).
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 12:09 AM   #41
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

If you don’t have a strong personal preference and value is your prime consideration, BLNR at MSRP. It’ll be worth more than you paid the second that you pay for it. It’s the same exact watch except for bezel color.

If money isn’t an issue and you absolutely have to own a Pepsi, spend the huge premium to get it.

I personally don’t like the colors and variability of colors on the Pepsi but I’m in the minority on that opinion for sure.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 12:10 AM   #42
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Rolex GMT's are among the best in the industry irrespective of configuration.

Both BLNR & BLRO are great watches, the blue color on the BLNR really pops in person. There are who think that color shade on both is the same but it is not. I also do not think the the red color on half the bezel worth the premium or the hype.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 12:13 AM   #43
Moonwatcher
"TRF" Member

The French say: Poser la question c’est y répondre, means: asking the question is answering it. I would never pay over retail for new watches as feel this just feeds that absurd logic. I would personally try to find a 16710 Pepsi if i wanted a blue red bezel (which i do), around 10K.
Moonwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 12:21 AM   #44
Jari from Finland
"TRF" Member

BLNR and BLRO are similar watches and the only difference is the bezel. I think if you bought BLNR at retail price you probably wouldn’t be completely satisfied with it because BLRO is the watch you are looking for. I myself would rather buy the BLNR at retail. By the way, I have rather often wondered why there are that many high demand watches for sale at grey market if they are only sold for VIP customers at AD.
Old 7 January 2024, 12:25 AM   #45
Philadelphialawyer1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I’d go with the BLNR at MSRP. It is similar to a Sub, but not as similar as you would think. I wear both. No possibility of me getting rid of either one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
very nice trio
Philadelphialawyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 12:29 AM   #46
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

I think the BLNR and the Sub are two different watches and definitely can co-exist together in a collection. Especially if the BLNR you choose is on Jubilee which really gives it a different look than your Sub. Even on Oyster, the PCL's make it look quite different as well.

Now, onto the watch itself. GMT complication, blue/black bezel......quite different from the Sub imo. With that said, I personally prefer the BLRO over the BLNR, but still love the BLNR. If I was in your shoes, I'd definitely go for the BLNR if your AD can get one for you. Try it out, see how you like it and if worse comes to worse and you truly don't enjoy it, you cannot lose as you can always sell it later down the road. Also, nobody says that you can't keep on the hunt for a BLRO even after you buy the BLNR? For me, not worth paying grey though, but maybe you can still stay on the "list" for it with your AD? Even after buying the BLNR from them? You would have 1 more piece added to your buying history to help!

Bottom line is that I would personally not pass on the opportunity to buy that one from your AD if you can. I suspect you will regret it?
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 12:30 AM   #47
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
buying from the AD means more opportunities for future purchases. Who knows maybe after the BLNR and another 1 or two purchases, the BLRO might show up….
A good point, there's a couple of other watches on my wishlist, which may move me up the pecking order sooner rather than later

Quote:
Not a penny over MSRP and would always think there is a chance it is fake grey. Any watch at retail over grey.
I share this concern, and perhaps this may be the tipping point for me between the two. There are cheaper alternatives for the BLRO, but from either private individuals or less established secondary market dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC034L View Post
My person opinion/story: Last year around this time I was initially on the list for a BLRO at my AD and was offered a BLNR (also on jubilee as I had initially requested). They had an exhibition model Pepsi on hand and comparing bezel colors, it was a no-brainer for me to go with my BLNR. Even if they had both, I would still have gone with the BLNR. Coming up on my one year anniversary of owning it, I haven't had a single moment of buyers remorse and I'm so glad I went BLNR as the colors are so much more vibrant/vivid.
Thanks for sharing - interesting to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I’d go with the BLNR at MSRP. It is similar to a Sub, but not as similar as you would think. I wear both. No possibility of me getting rid of either one.
Thanks for sharing photo, very useful and side by side, the BLNR & Sub look way more different than I'd pictured in my head.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 12:48 AM   #48
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Once again we have a thread that is really about money, not watches. If everything was equal, price, the BLRO would be the choice. So when all things are not equal, price, we start looking at a watch that we would not purchase first or maybe at all. This is a formula for not being happy with a purchase or not as happy as you could be if you got the watch you wanted. I own both the BLRO and the BLNR on jubilee and think they are great watches. The BLRO is by far my favorite and if one had to go, it would be the BLNR. I completely understand the group that says they will not pay over retail just like the group that says they will only buy from AD's. I say to them, good luck and I admire your patience and perseverance. I have patience and perseverance also but I also use it when and where I choose. Every Rolex I own, I think 14 is the number, came from a Trusted Seller. Did I over pay, maybe, but I have also enjoyed owning/buying/selling/trading. I have been in the game a long time, 30 plus years, and I have seen a lot so my perspective is based on that time but I say go and find a BLRO from a Trusted Secondary dealer and negotiate the best price possible and make the purchase. In five or 10 years it will not matter as you will have enjoyed the watch and I bet the msrp will be moving close to what you paid if the watch is still in production. I would go on the list at the AD for the BLNR and by the time it arrives you should have enjoyed the BNRO for sometime. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200312_093950 (002).jpg (271.8 KB, 187 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 12:54 AM   #49
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post
Time to visit a more accommodating AD.
Maybe, though I do have reasonable purchase history with this AD, and feel this move might put be back to the start of the queue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna 0311 View Post
You could switch it up and go with a Tudor Pepsi. The new opal one dial will add plenty of color!
I've owned the Tudor GMT, and think it is a nice looking watch, but ultimately couldn't get on board with it's thickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenNikolai View Post
I know the BLRO because my brother owns one. It's really beautiful. I only knew the BLNR from the photos on the internet. I never really knew if she was something for me. Then I followed advice here from the forum that you actually have to put a watch on your own wrist to be able to form an opinion. In the end I did exactly that and was immediately enthusiastic about the BLNR and expressed my interest.
Photos look great, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwatcher View Post
The French say: Poser la question c’est y répondre, means: asking the question is answering it. I would never pay over retail for new watches as feel this just feeds that absurd logic. I would personally try to find a 16710 Pepsi if i wanted a blue red bezel (which i do), around 10K.
That's a good point, I wouldnt be far off the BLNR and a 5 digit BLRO for the secondary value of a BLRO ceramic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxtek View Post
I think the BLNR and the Sub are two different watches and definitely can co-exist together in a collection. Especially if the BLNR you choose is on Jubilee which really gives it a different look than your Sub. Even on Oyster, the PCL's make it look quite different as well.

Now, onto the watch itself. GMT complication, blue/black bezel......quite different from the Sub imo. With that said, I personally prefer the BLRO over the BLNR, but still love the BLNR. If I was in your shoes, I'd definitely go for the BLNR if your AD can get one for you. Try it out, see how you like it and if worse comes to worse and you truly don't enjoy it, you cannot lose as you can always sell it later down the road. Also, nobody says that you can't keep on the hunt for a BLRO even after you buy the BLNR? For me, not worth paying grey though, but maybe you can still stay on the "list" for it with your AD? Even after buying the BLNR from them? You would have 1 more piece added to your buying history to help!

Bottom line is that I would personally not pass on the opportunity to buy that one from your AD if you can. I suspect you will regret it?
Good points, not a bad idea.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 01:41 AM   #50
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Once again we have a thread that is really about money, not watches. If everything was equal, price, the BLRO would be the choice. So when all things are not equal, price, we start looking at a watch that we would not purchase first or maybe at all. This is a formula for not being happy with a purchase or not as happy as you could be if you got the watch you wanted. I own both the BLRO and the BLNR on jubilee and think they are great watches. The BLRO is by far my favorite and if one had to go, it would be the BLNR. I completely understand the group that says they will not pay over retail just like the group that says they will only buy from AD's. I say to them, good luck and I admire your patience and perseverance. I have patience and perseverance also but I also use it when and where I choose. Every Rolex I own, I think 14 is the number, came from a Trusted Seller. Did I over pay, maybe, but I have also enjoyed owning/buying/selling/trading. I have been in the game a long time, 30 plus years, and I have seen a lot so my perspective is based on that time but I say go and find a BLRO from a Trusted Secondary dealer and negotiate the best price possible and make the purchase. In five or 10 years it will not matter as you will have enjoyed the watch and I bet the msrp will be moving close to what you paid if the watch is still in production. I would go on the list at the AD for the BLNR and by the time it arrives you should have enjoyed the BNRO for sometime. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
^This^

I waited for a BLNR for 2 years and always felt bad I didn't get the call. Just went grey and it feels great to enjoy a watch rather than long for one. In retrospect, I don't think my local AD ever intended to sell me a watch and I won't miss them.
Laine V38 - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 01:55 AM   #51
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Who cares about the means. To me money or not is is stupid to pay 20k for a 10k watch.
I think spending $10K is already an insane proposition, so justifying paying over MSRP isn’t something that bothers me.

I also don’t buy many luxury items, my only expensive interest is watches so if I want something I’ll go get it.

I think disposable income does play a part in my decision since I don’t have a problem overpaying for services / things that make my life easier or save time.

$100 vs $10,000 is a matter of your overall income bracket. If I didn’t have kids or was an irresponsible adult I would of went grey back to back and gotten the BLNR.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 01:56 AM   #52
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Always BLRO
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 02:02 AM   #53
bostonjetset
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex OP36 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
If you don’t have a strong personal preference and value is your prime consideration, BLNR at MSRP. It’ll be worth more than you paid the second that you pay for it. It’s the same exact watch except for bezel color.

If money isn’t an issue and you absolutely have to own a Pepsi, spend the huge premium to get it.

I personally don’t like the colors and variability of colors on the Pepsi but I’m in the minority on that opinion for sure.
I'll join you in the minority but I also think the blue/black combo of the Batman/Batgirl is better looking and more versatile. Sure the Pepsi is iconic but the red just doesn't do it for me.
bostonjetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 02:17 AM   #54
fly4food84
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN
BLRO is what I would pick.
fly4food84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 05:15 AM   #55
dg8dg7
"TRF" Member

I had an almost identical talk with my AD, who said the same thing to me.

If money is an issue for you, I would go for the BLNR. It's the same watch, and is very beautiful and a bit more understated. If money is not an issue, just go grey and enjoy the watch.

Sent from my SM-S916W using Tapatalk
dg8dg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 06:00 AM   #56
Rolex.Journey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Buy the watch you want. I pulled the trigger on a BLRO grey after knowing I could probably get a Batman from my AD while the Pepsi odds were against me. Undoubtably a Batman would be an awesome watch but nonetheless a comprise over what I really wanted. I would imagine myself buying it and constantly thinking t’s not a Pepsi lol.

Very happy with my decision. If you have the money for both, I would get the Batman from your AD and the Pepsi grey. Two watches, two different bracelets, four ways to enjoy your pieces!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex.Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 06:03 AM   #57
Wrathchild
Banned

Quote:

Well said, It applies to everything in life!
Old 7 January 2024, 06:22 AM   #58
karleone
"TRF" Member

BLNR at MSRP all day
karleone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 07:23 AM   #59
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
The Blue-Red bezel insert is the only one I truly love. I have several inserts for my 16710, and switch them occasionally for variety, but the Pepsi inserts get worn 90% of the time.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 07:29 AM   #60
Wrathchild
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
The Blue-Red bezel insert is the only one I truly love. I have several inserts for my 16710, and switch them occasionally for variety, but the Pepsi inserts get worn 90% of the time.
Right on
Pepsi is “THE” GMT.
No contest