The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 11 April 2015, 08:20 PM   #31
Britexpat76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO,GP FTC, YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
IMHO watch winders are not needed with any Rolex watch and are little more than big boys toys its that simple.
Britexpat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2015, 12:16 PM   #32
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Here ya' go, pay particular attention to #4:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showpost....0&postcount=57
#2 was more of an eye-opener for me. All good solid advice and, in the case of #4, common sense IMHO.

Thanks for sharing

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2015, 02:01 AM   #33
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
No need for the unnecessary wear and tear on the movement.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2015, 10:08 PM   #34
Lord
"TRF" Member

Watch: the watch watchers
...well... I don't know how you can take your sub off. Mine is welded to my person, never to be removed; if fact I think it would require an SF team, some quick acting sedatives and a surgeon!

Seriously though, I've considered a watch winder many times but never been too successful with rotation so most autos normally live in the box or safe, and to my mind they're gone to so infrequently, a hand wind and set is no chore at all.

In short: not needed in my scenario.
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2015, 10:34 PM   #35
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
...well... I don't know how you can take your sub off. Mine is welded to my person, never to be removed; if fact I think it would require an SF team, some quick acting sedatives and a surgeon!...
So I take it you don't have your watch serviced every 5-7 years, or is the RSC service covered by your health insurance?
Old 1 June 2015, 10:37 PM   #36
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
Regardless of winder or not seals and gaskets in watch dry and harden up over time so waterproofness will be compromised. A winder has not been shown to wear out a movement any faster than not wearing the watch. How many instances have you read on this forum someone winding up their watch when something inside goes "snap"? When the mainspring stays fully wound on a winder it keeps the movement at peak accuracy and the mainspring is less likely to break than if it is always going from a wound to unwound back to wound state.
So as far as my opinion my two Subs stay on my winder and stay fully wound and
Properly set regardless of whether I wear them or not.
Afraid that not correct a winder does not wind any watch all it does is just keep the movement ticking.On a winder it only puts back the power reserve to what ever the mainspring had to start with,in most all programmed machine winders less.If a movement is running its wearing that's a fact,and things like seals and mainsprings are just disposable items that are always changed at routine service anyway.Just think of all the millions of manual wind watches Rolex included, they got would up daily for decades.And a automatic watch is just a manual wind watch with a auto wind mechanism and today most crown related problems are down to the winding crown not being used enough.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2015, 10:37 PM   #37
Lord
"TRF" Member

Watch: the watch watchers
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
So I take it you don't have your watch serviced every 5-7 years, or is the RSC service covered by your health insurance?
ask me in 4 years 362 days - only had the sub since friday!
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2015, 01:59 PM   #38
Majin Buu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust now
Hi !
I store my watches dial down, since, from my POV, they where put together and oiled this way, hence the oil will stay where is needed!

It has worked on watches stored for years and the work great!

Cheers !

MB
Majin Buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2015, 09:15 AM   #39
Blubarb
2018 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieMae View Post
I have been asked this many times and I think I have the "best" answer.

Scenario 1: You do not put it on a winder, the watch needs to be manually set every time. Depending on time in storage, oils can coagulate, dry up and require service over time.

Scenario 2: You keep it on a winder, you rarely ever have to change the date and time and the oils are constantly being used. You are also putting 100 times the wear on the moving parts, gears, spring, etc.. than if you wear the watch only a couple of days a week.
Service time for either may be the same as one way uses the oils and the other way coagulates the oils.

The difference between these two scenarios is that you are putting unnecessary wear and tear on the movement and these parts cannot last forever. I personally would rather NOT use a winder and deal with the inconvenience of setting the time and/or date once a week rather than foot the inevitable repair bill to replace parts that have been worn dues to 24/7 use.

The best scenario for me is to wear the watch at least once a week or two to keep the fluids from coagulating, keep the moving parts moving but, not wearing them out from constant operation.

Short Answer for me: NO WINDER.
Good way to think about it.
Blubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2015, 01:44 AM   #40
sutats
"TRF" Member

Use a watch winder if you can afford to buy and run it. It would save you time as your watches will always be ready to wear and it also saves the wear and tear of having to set the time every time.

The huge benefit of watch winders is when used with annual and perpetual calendar watches where they have very delicate movements and an array of settings which takes time to adjust carefully.

That being said, in today's world I'd be surprised if the oils used in high horology weren't super engineered from degradation from inactivity.
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 11:12 AM   #41
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2008 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vietnam special vet View Post
I"m going to follow your advice, and enjoy wearing my sub, on a daily basis....
I have two rolex, 2008 sub and a explorer MK2. simple solution, i do a Schwarzkopf and where one on each wrist.

"A man with one watch knows what time it is while a man with two is never sure."
N5XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 08:38 AM   #42
DWNVTEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: SKY DWELLER
Nice
DWNVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 12:12 AM   #43
milgauss1349
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Scenario 1: You do not put it on a winder, the watch needs to be manually set every time. Depending on time in storage, oils can coagulate, dry up and require service over time.

Scenario 2: You keep it on a winder, you rarely ever have to change the date and time and the oils are constantly being used. You are also putting 100 times the wear on the moving parts, gears, spring, etc.. than if you wear the watch only a couple of days a week.
Service time for either may be the same as one way uses the oils and the other way coagulates the oils.

The difference between these two scenarios is that you are putting unnecessary wear and tear on the movement and these parts cannot last forever. I personally would rather NOT use a winder and deal with the inconvenience of setting the time and/or date once a week rather than foot the inevitable repair bill to replace parts that have been worn dues to 24/7 use.

The best scenario for me is to wear the watch at least once a week or two to keep the fluids from coagulating, keep the moving parts moving but, not wearing them out from constant operation.

Great answer, wish others had put it so well! Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
milgauss1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 07:51 PM   #44
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman14 View Post
The lubricants used now are synthetic not natural so don't coagulate like they used to, you can leave them for ages and they will be fine, they can dry up but they will over time anyway, it's good to give the crown a few turns to get the movement going every so often, that's what I do to my watches I don't wear often. I used to use winders too but it's not really needed unless you have a perpetual calendar etc.
Remember watches are meant to beat 24/7 so they will be fine. At the same time watches can be be in a shop for ages before being sold and wound. And they still work fine when sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really. Often watches that were kept in store for a long time do not keep time well and need first service sooner then normal.

There is more mechanical stress on movement parts in pulling the crown, setting time and winding from fully unwound then when keeping it in the winder.

belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 07:52 PM   #45
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britexpat76 View Post

Incorrect.

belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 07:29 PM   #46
AlexBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Your choice, there's no "correct" way.
AlexBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2019, 01:30 AM   #47
MayerFineJewlery
Banned

Watch: Most of them
Leave it and when you’re ready to wear it just wind it back up, no harm.
MayerFineJewlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 02:14 PM   #48
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
To winder or not to winder

I have nine automatic watches, so obviously they can not all be worn. I trade out between them on about a weekly basis and I do not wear any of them to work because it is to likely that they would be damaged. I wear a G-Shock at work, and while diving at work I do not wear a watch, unless it is a deep emergency situation. Normal diving depths at work are about 15 feet maximum.
I do not believe that winders are the best way to go but I am concerned that some of the lubricants in the watch movements do not get circulated enough. So, my normal practice is to wind every watch fully about every two weeks.
HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 03:47 PM   #49
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
My friend is a watchmaker for Rolex. She told me to let it stop.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 04:55 PM   #50
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
An old thread:

[QUOTE=belutak;9788070]Not really. Often watches that were kept in store for a long time do not keep time well and need first service sooner then normal.

Some a Rolex watches sit unsold at AD’s for years.
They have no wear when not running and the latest lubricants are excellent.
There are no stats I have found that states their precision changes during this time and that a service is required sooner than a watch that is worn every day.

There is more mechanical stress on movement parts in pulling the crown, setting time and winding from fully unwound then when keeping it in the winder.

When you remove your Rolex from the winder after a few days (or weeks) you would probably unscrew the crown, sync the time and a date change may also be required.
In any event there is no need to wind it, just give it few turns to start it.
It will wind up on your wrist.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 07:09 AM   #51
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDive View Post
I do not believe that winders are the best way to go but I am concerned that some of the lubricants in the watch movements do not get circulated enough. So, my normal practice is to wind every watch fully about every two weeks.
Well, you are not going to hurt them winding every two weeks. And it is enjoyable. So, if it works for you, excellent.
Old 20 October 2019, 04:52 AM   #52
watchdogitalia
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX SUB 16610
As any good watchmaker will tell you , do not leave it stopped for a long time.

Get the hands moving once a month by shaking or winding it enough that is runs for a few hours to keep the oil and moving parts, gears and wheels from getting gummed up.

Watch winders are a huge no no for stored watches as you are constantly keeping an unworn watch running needlessly and wearing out the parts.

If you stored your car for a while would you put it on the indy 500 , 24 hours a day rotating the track ? Watch winders are only useful if you are wearing multiple watches during the week and are changing out every day or so,
watchdogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2019, 02:29 AM   #53
Tubman
"TRF" Member

Bit of a twist on this old chestnut!
Anyone recommend a decent 4 watch winder thats BATTERY powered.
The insurers insist my small collection must go in a safe when not worn !
Tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 05:20 AM   #54
Mandy01
Banned

Watch: 126333, 114060
Quote:

Thanks for the advice, I completely agree with you, regards
Mandy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 06:20 PM   #55
Kpiyaratt
"TRF" Member

Put it on a winder is like let the engine runs when you are not driving.
Kpiyaratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 04:51 PM   #56
AREK28
"TRF" Member

I have 6 automatic watches and i switch wearing my watches every 1-2 days so i always store 4 of them in my 4 watch winder keeping them winded ready for use and keep the 2 that i don't intend to use in the near time with face down in my safe.

Most good winders have "turns per day" setting and you can configure whether you want to wind it clockwise or both directions. Most winders only winds the watches for a few minutes and let the watch rest for 30-60 minutes before they start to wind the watches again. I think the wear should be quite minimal and should be less than a watch that is used on a daily basis. I personally wouldn't worry to much about the wear that results from watch winders.
AREK28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 10:31 PM   #57
AREK28
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREK28 View Post
I have 6 automatic watches and i switch wearing my watches every 1-2 days so i always store 4 of them in my 4 watch winder keeping them winded ready for use and keep the 2 that i don't intend to use in the near time with face down in my safe.

Most good winders have "turns per day" setting and you can configure whether you want to wind it clockwise or both directions. Most winders only winds the watches for a few minutes and let the watch rest for 30-60 minutes before they start to wind the watches again. I think the wear should be quite minimal and should be less than a watch that is used on a daily basis. I personally wouldn't worry to much about the wear that results from watch winders.
Here is a picture of it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_20191106_192645.jpg (144.8 KB, 61 views)
AREK28 is offline   Reply With Quote