The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 20 February 2015, 09:29 PM   #1
Vietnam special vet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner in Blue
Icon20 Storing my Rolex Submariner Question

Hi guys, I was wondering, If i"m not going to be wearing my Rolex Submariner for a while, is it better to let it stop? or put it into a watch winder?
Vietnam special vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 09:30 PM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Your choice, there's no "correct" way.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2015, 10:40 PM   #3
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
No wrong choice but I let mine stop when not in use
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2015, 11:12 PM   #4
CharlieMae
Banned

I have been asked this many times and I think I have the "best" answer.

Scenario 1: You do not put it on a winder, the watch needs to be manually set every time. Depending on time in storage, oils can coagulate, dry up and require service over time.

Scenario 2: You keep it on a winder, you rarely ever have to change the date and time and the oils are constantly being used. You are also putting 100 times the wear on the moving parts, gears, spring, etc.. than if you wear the watch only a couple of days a week.
Service time for either may be the same as one way uses the oils and the other way coagulates the oils.

The difference between these two scenarios is that you are putting unnecessary wear and tear on the movement and these parts cannot last forever. I personally would rather NOT use a winder and deal with the inconvenience of setting the time and/or date once a week rather than foot the inevitable repair bill to replace parts that have been worn dues to 24/7 use.

The best scenario for me is to wear the watch at least once a week or two to keep the fluids from coagulating, keep the moving parts moving but, not wearing them out from constant operation.

Short Answer for me: NO WINDER.
CharlieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2015, 01:11 AM   #5
Scott1907
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieMae View Post

Scenario 1: You do not put it on a winder, the watch needs to be manually set every time. Depending on time in storage, oils can coagulate, dry up and require service over time.

Scenario 2: You keep it on a winder, you rarely ever have to change the date and time and the oils are constantly being used. You are also putting 100 times the wear on the moving parts, gears, spring, etc.. than if you wear the watch only a couple of days a week.
Service time for either may be the same as one way uses the oils and the other way coagulates the oils.

The difference between these two scenarios is that you are putting unnecessary wear and tear on the movement and these parts cannot last forever. I personally would rather NOT use a winder and deal with the inconvenience of setting the time and/or date once a week rather than foot the inevitable repair bill to replace parts that have been worn dues to 24/7 use.

The best scenario for me is to wear the watch at least once a week or two to keep the fluids from coagulating, keep the moving parts moving but, not wearing them out from constant operation.

That's a great response, never thought of it like that,
Scott1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2015, 01:27 AM   #6
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:

Regardless of winder or not seals and gaskets in watch dry and harden up over time so waterproofness will be compromised. A winder has not been shown to wear out a movement any faster than not wearing the watch. How many instances have you read on this forum someone winding up their watch when something inside goes "snap"? When the mainspring stays fully wound on a winder it keeps the movement at peak accuracy and the mainspring is less likely to break than if it is always going from a wound to unwound back to wound state.
So as far as my opinion my two Subs stay on my winder and stay fully wound and
Properly set regardless of whether I wear them or not.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2015, 02:01 AM   #7
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
Regardless of winder or not seals and gaskets in watch dry and harden up over time so waterproofness will be compromised. A winder has not been shown to wear out a movement any faster than not wearing the watch. How many instances have you read on this forum someone winding up their watch when something inside goes "snap"? When the mainspring stays fully wound on a winder it keeps the movement at peak accuracy and the mainspring is less likely to break than if it is always going from a wound to unwound back to wound state.
And there you have it, to opposite sides of the coin, to which the old question of to use winder, or not, goes round and round and round.
Reality is, it doesn't matter one way or the other. If you don't use a winder and leave it sitting idle for long periods of time (a month or more), give it a manual wind once a month to keep the oils from pooling and give the gears a turn......
If you do use a winder, you have to reset at the end of every second month for the date anyway, but good for you, you've got watch set and ready to go......

My preference is to let the stop. I just don't see the point in having it running as I dont need to read the time on it, as I'm not wearing it. Resetting when I rotate to a stopped watch, to me, is all part of the fun of owning a mechanical watch... It's easy, and takes less than a minute to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
A more sensible answer!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2015, 10:58 PM   #8
jhamiltonwa
"TRF" Member

Watch: '87 Air King Date
How about on a winder that runs only a couple of hours a day?
jhamiltonwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2015, 10:49 AM   #9
Schneeflocke
"TRF" Member

I would say I prefer the winder. Why? It keeps the different lubes from coagulating as mentioned, and you have always an almost perfectly set watch. The extra wear is probably secondary, since the moving parts that are affected, will be changed once it's time for service anyway. Sticky lubricants however, has a way bigger impact on wear and tear, than constant running. I've had this discussion with a Rolex AD myself, since my plan is to get a Rolex this summer, and this is what the professionals say at least. Cheers! :)
Schneeflocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2015, 01:45 PM   #10
Afghanvet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs, SD4K
Why not just wear it??

Afghanvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2015, 05:41 PM   #11
havingagoodtime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 / 16570
Although these threads are abundant, I always enjoy reading different takes on the discussion. Both sides are valid. Scientifically there must be a definitive response. Mythbusters anyone? Jamie is my old neighbor. I'll ask him next time I bump into him.
havingagoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2015, 06:45 PM   #12
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

I look at it this way. When you go to an AD to buy a watch are any of them kept on winders?
Old 26 February 2015, 07:14 PM   #13
havingagoodtime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 / 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
I look at it this way. When you go to an AD to buy a watch are any of them kept on winders?

Probably to hide the fact that they all keep different time
havingagoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2015, 09:55 PM   #14
Vietnam special vet
"TRF" Member

Icon20 thank you, for your advice.......

Quote:
excellent advice.......
Old 26 February 2015, 09:57 PM   #15
Vietnam special vet
"TRF" Member

Icon20 excellent........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afghanvet View Post
Why not just wear it??
I"m going to follow your advice, and enjoy wearing my sub, on a daily basis....
Old 27 February 2015, 04:07 PM   #16
Showcall
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
I have a GMT-SUB and a wind up Oysterdate! I wear a different one every couple of days
Showcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2015, 12:55 AM   #17
Vietnam special vet
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afghanvet View Post
Why not just wear it??
Perfect Answer, and as the Rolex has , as I believe a 70 hour power reserve
I should be just fine, thanks again, for your perfect answer!
Old 1 March 2015, 01:32 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2015, 12:29 AM   #19
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

IMO let it stop less wear?????
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2015, 09:00 AM   #20
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vietnam special vet View Post
Perfect Answer, and as the Rolex has , as I believe a 70 hour power reserve
I should be just fine, thanks again, for your perfect answer!
I think the number is closer to 40 than 70.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2015, 11:33 PM   #21
tegee26
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610 SubC
Quote:

EXACTLY. There's so much misinformation IMHO on this subject matter. Unless I get a response from a experienced watchmaker my Omega's, Breitling and Rolexes will stay on my Orbita winder.

I'm no expert, but my fine timepieces have been functioning fine for years and will require service every 6-8 years regardless of use, non-use and time on winder. Trying to time service intervals by letting it wind down, etc is a game that is a waste of time in my opinion.

FWIW
tegee26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2015, 03:45 AM   #22
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegee26 View Post
EXACTLY. There's so much misinformation IMHO on this subject matter. Unless I get a response from a experienced watchmaker my Omega's, Breitling and Rolexes will stay on my Orbita winder.
Here ya' go, pay particular attention to #4:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showpost....0&postcount=57
Old 17 March 2015, 07:47 AM   #23
Bladesfield
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
The watches I'm not wearing (been only wearing my Sub-C for the past month since getting it) have been sitting in my watch box. I take them out and fully wind them about twice a month to keep the oils flowing.
Bladesfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2015, 01:45 PM   #24
DrahthaarHunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona u927706
I have 4 rolex watches and I use to rotate them buy wearing a diff watch each day, so I kept them on a winder, now i am in a diff occupation and depending on the day and the customer I may wear my seiko divers watch not my daytona and I find myself wearing some more than others so now I have unplugged the winder and don't put the additional wear on the movements.
DrahthaarHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 09:46 PM   #25
Vietnam special vet
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Oh so true..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
very well said.......
Old 20 March 2015, 10:30 PM   #26
mthucs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116600/16610
Do what my grandmother does and wear all her quartz watches at once. That'll keep the juices flowing..
mthucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2015, 04:01 PM   #27
sheridantony
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I find never taking it off my wrist is the whole point. Leaving it on my wrist ensures amazingly accurate timekeeping (clearly the spring is designed to prevent gain or loss whilst being worn), the watch is designed to withstand even the most harsh conditions (hence a 'tool watch'), and looks amazing whether dressing down or in a dinner suit. By comparison, sticking such a quality timepiece in a winder just to keep it moving seems contrary to the whole philosophy behind buying it. Wear it!

Last edited by sheridantony; 11 April 2015 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Emoticon didn't work
sheridantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2015, 05:05 PM   #28
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
IMHO watch winders are not needed with any Rolex watch and are little more than big boys toys its that simple.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2015, 05:13 PM   #29
Hatman14
"TRF" Member

The lubricants used now are synthetic not natural so don't coagulate like they used to, you can leave them for ages and they will be fine, they can dry up but they will over time anyway, it's good to give the crown a few turns to get the movement going every so often, that's what I do to my watches I don't wear often. I used to use winders too but it's not really needed unless you have a perpetual calendar etc.
Remember watches are meant to beat 24/7 so they will be fine. At the same time watches can be be in a shop for ages before being sold and wound. And they still work fine when sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hatman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2015, 05:30 PM   #30
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Attached Images
File Type: gif popcorn.gif (20.6 KB, 2426 views)

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote