The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 October 2012, 05:13 AM   #1
FrankNYC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SubC & Red;JLC RDM
Has any here paid $150 to have a RSC appraise/authenticate a vintage?

It's for a 1680 red sub. RSC in NYC says they can provide me with an replacement value estimate for $150. Has anyone had this done? Is it worth it?
FrankNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2012, 08:14 AM   #2
mdw3
"TRF" Member

Forget it. They don't know which way is up on vintage. Unless you just feel like making a non-tax-deductible donation to Rolex USA.

Michael
mdw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2012, 08:30 AM   #3
NYCrussino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Never heard of that but doesn't surprise me. Try Central Watch in Grand Central, they do free appraisals....
NYCrussino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2012, 08:59 AM   #4
FrankNYC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCrussino View Post
Never heard of that but doesn't surprise me. Try Central Watch in Grand Central, they do free appraisals....
Will do! Thank you.
Old 7 October 2012, 11:53 AM   #5
GP_Pirate

Watch: Luminor 024 Sub
I considered sending mine to Rolex for an appraisal. They told me that they will not appraise a watch that is not in its original built condition. So I thought that would be a plus since it authentics all the parts. Plus an appraisal from Rolex would seem to me to carry more weight. I never did send mine (a 1680) in so I cannot on how good they are in appraising vintages, though.
GP_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Are you still chasing the eBay red Sub?

If so, skip it!
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Red Series 3
"TRF" Member

I've paid 99 aud to the rolex service cente in sydney for an authentication and stolen register check after buying a watch online they said they didn't do valuations or appraisals for insurance purposes or such.
Red Series 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
I don't know why they charge you . . .

When I went to Wempe (Germany) they checked the serial number and even told me that the watch was sold by one of their stores . . .

The only thing they told me that the watch was 99.9 % genuine . . .

If I really wanted to be 100 % sure they would send it to a one of their service centers . . .

We'll for .01 % it's fine for me . . . I can live with it ;-)

Now a vintage watch is really something different . . . but I just wonder if they can really give you a 100 % authenticity . . . .

What I read here on TRF is not every time all the best . . . about RSC's I mean

I bet that there are people (independent) who know a lot more about watches than some RSC's . . . ;-)

Just my .02

HAGT

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2012, 10:58 PM   #9
Keeperoftime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
One would do better donating $150.00 to THEROLEXFORUMS!

Then Print out the thread as a certificate of Authenticity!

IMHO (Big Font Opinion) :-)

Old 16 October 2012, 11:28 PM   #10
ndb80
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512 from 1960
One strategy could be to 'loose' your insert (cheapest part of watch) and ask the rsc to fit you a new one, no service, just the insert...here in london they would do it as a walk-in service...this way you see if they will even work on your watch -if they do its legit, AND you get a receipt with your serial etc all for about 60$ ...

then as soon as you know where you stand, you can have your 'original' insert refitted by a private watch maker (5 min job) and sell off the service insert (about 30$) on ebay :),or keep it for spares...
ndb80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2012, 02:46 AM   #11
katana
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub.1680/ Datejust
When I bought my 1680 -1977 from private person so we went to Rolex to see that it was genuine, not stolen, also that ALL true. Price around 150 USD
Old 17 October 2012, 11:01 AM   #12
FrankNYC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb80 View Post
One strategy could be to 'loose' your insert (cheapest part of watch) and ask the rsc to fit you a new one, no service, just the insert...here in london they would do it as a walk-in service...this way you see if they will even work on your watch -if they do its legit, AND you get a receipt with your serial etc all for about 60$ ...

then as soon as you know where you stand, you can have your 'original' insert refitted by a private watch maker (5 min job) and sell off the service insert (about 30$) on ebay :),or keep it for spares...
You would also get a green Rolex pouch as a bonus
Old 17 October 2012, 04:31 PM   #13
sdwtchlvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Look at it this way, if you don't have the original papers for your sub in would certainly add more than $150 to the value of your watch to have documentation from Rolex stating that your watch is authentic and original. In fact, it's better than the original papers in that it would be a current documentation. Only other way to get something like that is to pay $600 for a service and risk having them swap out parts. Shoot, I'm gonna check with RSC BH to see if I can get something like that for my 1680.
sdwtchlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2012, 01:11 AM   #14
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNYC View Post
It's for a 1680 red sub. RSC in NYC says they can provide me with an replacement value estimate for $150. Has anyone had this done? Is it worth it?
Rolex will not give you an appraisal or actual valuation.. As you stated, they will give you "replacement value" (the cost of a new Sub). They will, however, let you know if it is authentic. - Only you can decide it that bit of information (something you should already know) is worth the price.
Old 17 February 2020, 06:28 AM   #15
Red Series 3
"TRF" Member

I’ve had them authenticate watches before. They charge 90 aud
Red Series 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 07:29 AM   #16
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
I will authenticate it for you for $149.99

And no, I’ve never had that done. Most ADs have no idea when it comes to vintage.
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 09:22 AM   #17
Claven2
"TRF" Member

holy necro-thread batman...
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 10:48 AM   #18
Blaner
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, 5513
Dead thread back!

For anyone newly interested in the topic, just take it to an RSC and ask for a service quote. If it's fake, you'll find out then. No cost.
Blaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 10:54 AM   #19
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw3 View Post
Forget it. They don't know which way is up on vintage. Unless you just feel like making a non-tax-deductible donation to Rolex USA.

Michael
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:24 AM   #20
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Even if they say that the movement, case and dial are correct, I think this only gets you half way to assessing value and condition. You need to know which dial is correct for the serials, same for hands etc.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:46 AM   #21
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Never and no way!
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:50 AM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I had RSC Toronto authenticate a 5513. It was $100 CAD back in 2015.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 12:56 PM   #23
Gmt21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1665
The service appraisal they do for $150 is a full inspection of watch and what it needs for service. It is also a form of authentication. If you opt to get serviced the $150 is credited to the service cost.
In my case, I have a nos 16610lv early F serial with flat four insert and papers. But the papers are earlier European ones that are punched and don’t say LV anywhere.

Therefore it was well worth the $150 to have RSC go over the watch and run the serial number. The watch serial was confirmed an LV. . So now I have another layer of authentication on a $20k + watch.
Gmt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 03:59 AM   #24
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmt21 View Post
The service appraisal they do for $150 is a full inspection of watch and what it needs for service. It is also a form of authentication. If you opt to get serviced the $150 is credited to the service cost.
In my case, I have a nos 16610lv early F serial with flat four insert and papers. But the papers are earlier European ones that are punched and don’t say LV anywhere.

Therefore it was well worth the $150 to have RSC go over the watch and run the serial number. The watch serial was confirmed an LV. . So now I have another layer of authentication on a $20k + watch.
Well worth it, in this case. Good move. I would definitely want "LV" on Rolex pperwork since someone can "create" an LV with the right dial and bezel on a regular 16610.

I know this was an ancient thread that was resurrected .... but here's a more recent thread on the topic ... it ain't $150 any more, and RSCs are now stricker than ever:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=723257
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 04:54 AM   #25
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Didn't he infamous blueberry insert gain legitimacy in this way?
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 05:27 AM   #26
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
As Swish77 said the cost has changed. $260 for the authentication, which will be refunded assuming it is serviced by Rolex. There were several things that were not correct on the form. One would be my phone number, which I removed, and the other would be the 18K bracelet, It's 14K. Regardless, pictures of first page of 4 pages, and said watch that was authenticated. I was hoping they would do a proper description given it was being, as they termed it, "authenticated". Let's just say their authentication is not very rigorous
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19_1219_ROLEX_ServiceEstimate_Page1s.jpg (127.2 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Watch_34s.jpg (231.1 KB, 175 views)
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 07:00 AM   #27
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
As Swish77 said the cost has changed. $260 for the authentication, which will be refunded assuming it is serviced by Rolex. There were several things that were not correct on the form. One would be my phone number, which I removed, and the other would be the 18K bracelet, It's 14K. Regardless, pictures of first page of 4 pages, and said watch that was authenticated. I was hoping they would do a proper description given it was being, as they termed it, "authenticated". Let's just say their authentication is not very rigorous
Very interesting! Man, they make it sound as if you should just throw your "scratched and dented" watch in the trash! The bezel insert isn't right? And the mistakes on the paperwork. Wow. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

Another interesting point, was there a mention somewhere on your paperwork to a "Tifffany" dial? I would assume that if it was determined that "Tiffany" was added to the dial (as in aftermarket), it would be flagged as such. I wonder if this is a way to confirm that this is an authentic Tiffany dial. (Not questioning that, of course, just wondering if it was noted.)
Old 18 February 2020, 07:13 AM   #28
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Very interesting! Man, they make it sound as if you should just throw your "scratched and dented" watch in the trash! The bezel insert isn't right? And the mistakes on the paperwork. Wow. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

Another interesting point, was there a mention somewhere on your paperwork to a "Tifffany" dial? I would assume that if it was determined that "Tiffany" was added to the dial (as in aftermarket), it would be flagged as such. I wonder if this is a way to confirm that this is an authentic Tiffany dial. (Not questioning that, of course, just wondering if it was noted.)
I did ask why the stamp was not mentioned and they said they don't describe the watch, just document it's authenticity. I was kind of nhoping they would mention it. The whole thing was a waste of time (and money) in my opinion. I asked about the scratch on the dial they mention in the estimate by phone call three times, three separate people. they sent me some crappy pictures of the entire watch and not even high res. When I came in to pick it up and again asked about the scratch on the dial, which I had never noticed, they said they would show me when I came in to pick up, they were unable to find it. After trying to find said scratch for a few minutes, the service assistant gave me the loop and suggested I try and find it near the window where the lighting was better. I told him it was a waste of my time and asked him to process the fee for the "authentication" and I'll be on my way. The other page had estimates for Required service and optional service, plus a replacement value if lost or stolen. Basically replacement is a new GMT. these people are not vintage enthusiasts and don't care about matching patina or third party branding.
On another note, as Springer pointed out in a an earlier thread the all brown bezel only came on the all gold GMT. Mine should have a two tone half and half bezel. Not sure why it has the all brown it's been on there as long as I have owned it (35 years) and my dad bought it new. He doesn't remember at this point.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 09:52 AM   #29
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
These people are not vintage enthusiasts and don't care about matching patina or third party branding.
Thank god you didn't let Rolex do anything to it. They would have absolutely gone to town on it and ruined it.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 02:08 AM   #30
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I did ask why the stamp was not mentioned and they said they don't describe the watch, just document it's authenticity. I was kind of nhoping they would mention it. The whole thing was a waste of time (and money) in my opinion. I asked about the scratch on the dial they mention in the estimate by phone call three times, three separate people. they sent me some crappy pictures of the entire watch and not even high res. When I came in to pick it up and again asked about the scratch on the dial, which I had never noticed, they said they would show me when I came in to pick up, they were unable to find it. After trying to find said scratch for a few minutes, the service assistant gave me the loop and suggested I try and find it near the window where the lighting was better. I told him it was a waste of my time and asked him to process the fee for the "authentication" and I'll be on my way. The other page had estimates for Required service and optional service, plus a replacement value if lost or stolen. Basically replacement is a new GMT. these people are not vintage enthusiasts and don't care about matching patina or third party branding.
On another note, as Springer pointed out in a an earlier thread the all brown bezel only came on the all gold GMT. Mine should have a two tone half and half bezel. Not sure why it has the all brown it's been on there as long as I have owned it (35 years) and my dad bought it new. He doesn't remember at this point.
Thanks for all that detail. Fascinating (and disappointing).