The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2020, 10:10 AM   #91
Strad
"TRF" Member

I have a 16610V Kermit Submariner. I bought it in 2009. I love the green bezel insert and the maxi dial. The lume is great. I wore it in the ocean, at night and most of the time. As a Superlative Chronometer advertised as -2/+2, I was getting +7 from day 1. This bothered me. I didn't loupe the dial, or go overboard in looking at the watch in great detail. Recently, it started running at +10. Today, I sent it back to New York through my AD that I purchased it from.

I expect and hope that they will regulate it to within the specs that are advertised. I am less concerned with the few dings and scratches I added.

It is my favorite Rolex.

I should add that I have had 3 other Rolex watches of mine serviced locally over the years. After servicing they all ran as I would expect a Rolex to run, within spec around +2.

It seems to me, with my limited experience, that Rolex watches are capable of great accuracy. Unfortunately, it is up to the consumer to make sure this accuracy is achieved.
Strad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 10:39 AM   #92
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
Thank You all for your thoughts&experiences so far! It seems that there are people who are making a statement that one should not make any conclusions relying on couple of web-videos—million Rolex-watches made every year. Couple of clickbait-Rolex-issue -videos... at the same time people are making a statement like ”I’ve had 4 Rolexes and no issues. There is no problem...” Well... if one million Rolexes are made every year, someone’s personal experience of 4 watches with no issues is nothing.
I don’t know the truth. I’ve personally experienced some issues, but overall I am very happy with Rolex. I’ve also learned to appreciate the quality that only the Trinity can offer. Rolex is far from that. I am very curious what’s happening for real. One thing is for sure: Rolex prices will go up. The quality? Who cares. It’s a Rolex!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i would put the trinity up against DeBethune, Laurent Ferrier, Greuble-Forsey, Akrivia, and various other brands.

so no, it’s not “only the trinity.”

i would argue that each of the brands i just listed is as good if not better in some cases than the trinity.

but yes - rolex isn’t that. most assuredly.

however, you can throw your rolex against a wall and it’ll be fine (all things considered, don’t throw it against bricks or stone!). i would not do that with any of the brands mentioned above including the trinity. which is why my money is currently and shall remain for the most part parked with rolex.

some of the best automakers really make some terrible mistakes. we still love them.

Old 19 February 2020, 07:11 AM   #93
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Mine is pretty damn near perfect even under the macro pics. I always go over all my new watches under a macro lens.
Then again, my last few Panerai and Omega were spectacular under the macro lens as their dials are crisper than Rolex printing.

FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:12 AM   #94
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strad View Post
I have a 16610V Kermit Submariner. I bought it in 2009. I love the green bezel insert and the maxi dial. The lume is great. I wore it in the ocean, at night and most of the time. As a Superlative Chronometer advertised as -2/+2, I was getting +7 from day 1. This bothered me. I didn't loupe the dial, or go overboard in looking at the watch in great detail. Recently, it started running at +10. Today, I sent it back to New York through my AD that I purchased it from.

I expect and hope that they will regulate it to within the specs that are advertised. I am less concerned with the few dings and scratches I added.

It is my favorite Rolex.

I should add that I have had 3 other Rolex watches of mine serviced locally over the years. After servicing they all ran as I would expect a Rolex to run, within spec around +2.

It seems to me, with my limited experience, that Rolex watches are capable of great accuracy. Unfortunately, it is up to the consumer to make sure this accuracy is achieved.

Old 19 February 2020, 07:13 AM   #95
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb.nc View Post
i would put the trinity up against DeBethune, Laurent Ferrier, Greuble-Forsey, Akrivia, and various other brands.

so no, it’s not “only the trinity.”

i would argue that each of the brands i just listed is as good if not better in some cases than the trinity.

but yes - rolex isn’t that. most assuredly.

however, you can throw your rolex against a wall and it’ll be fine (all things considered, don’t throw it against bricks or stone!). i would not do that with any of the brands mentioned above including the trinity. which is why my money is currently and shall remain for the most part parked with rolex.

some of the best automakers really make some terrible mistakes. we still love them.

Well said

Old 19 February 2020, 07:35 AM   #96
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I think Rolex owner satisfaction goes through phases.
First Rolex is usually aspirational piece you worked hard for....small blemishes If present are a big deal and cause angst.
As time goes by, Rolex gets a little beaten up through usual wear and tear and eventually becomes a part of ‘you’, tells a story of your journey together and before you know it, small blemishes are irrelevant and just add character.
Finally, after many years, you realise it’s just a watch. Still a watch you worked hard for, and it may have even had to be repaired somewhere along the line due to failure, but on the whole the ownership experience by then is complete and you appreciate the watch more than ever, failures or blemishes aside.
Rolex make a mass produced quality product that’s expensive but will provide owners with many years of trusty and reliable service on the whole. There’s not many things in today’s modern life styles that will last a lifetime and still be passed down whilst holding their value.
I personally don’t think anything is happening with Rolex QA except getting better.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 08:20 AM   #97
Oldwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk
My experience with Rolex has been generally very good however I’ve just returned my latest purchase, Explorer II February 12 2020 as there is a blemish on the polished case side. My AD tells me that Rolex will sort it out and I shave it back in a couple of weeks.
It just annoyed me that I’ve had to return a watch that is less than a week old. In future I will take extra care before I leave the store.
Old 19 February 2020, 08:26 AM   #98
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I believe Rolex quality and service is the best it has ever been. Please note I do not use a loupe on a watch or examine it minutely.

I have had three Pateks, one AP, a Breguet and a Grand Seiko as well as a dozen or so Rolexes.

Each Patek (especially two Aquanauts) needed significant service at sizeable cost. Ditto for the AP. The Breguet, Grand Seiko and all Rolexes have been quite excellent and the most recent of mine, a Sky Dweller, is outstanding in timekeeping precision and functionality.

Just one persons experience.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 03:03 PM   #99
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
I think Rolex owner satisfaction goes through phases.

First Rolex is usually aspirational piece you worked hard for....small blemishes If present are a big deal and cause angst.

As time goes by, Rolex gets a little beaten up through usual wear and tear and eventually becomes a part of ‘you’, tells a story of your journey together and before you know it, small blemishes are irrelevant and just add character.

Finally, after many years, you realise it’s just a watch. Still a watch you worked hard for, and it may have even had to be repaired somewhere along the line due to failure, but on the whole the ownership experience by then is complete and you appreciate the watch more than ever, failures or blemishes aside.

Rolex make a mass produced quality product that’s expensive but will provide owners with many years of trusty and reliable service on the whole. There’s not many things in today’s modern life styles that will last a lifetime and still be passed down whilst holding their value.

I personally don’t think anything is happening with Rolex QA except getting better.

Excellent view, thanks for sharing!

Old 20 February 2020, 05:54 PM   #100
Clockbait
"TRF" Member

Hi Guys, good thread, thanks to the OP for mentioning our video.

I’ll clear a couple of things up, the Everose and Batman we’re both bought brand new at London ADs so we definitely aren’t pulling a Horology House on anyone. Every single GMT with this new movement in sounds the same, every single one. The dodgy painted hand is present I’d say on over half of all the GMTs I’ve seen, once you’ve seen it you can’t un see it. The bezel rock is also present on every single one I’ve touched but that can maybe be forgiven as it’s a different style of bezel execution than the bezel of the sub but still you’d think they’d come up with a better solution. The dust and alignment issues are the ones that don’t seem too common, I’ve seen very few thankfully.
Clockbait is offline   Reply With Quote