The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2020, 03:36 AM   #31
maxlfoster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT - 116710LN
OP -

I recently got similar treatment, the ADs think anyone new trying to get on a waitlist is just trying to flip...they wouldn’t put me on a waitlist either. I wasn’t going to buy something in the display case just so I could get on a waitlist for a GMT....just do your research, search listings by trusted sellers and the right watch will find you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maxlfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 09:13 AM   #32
Sulla
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,AK,DJ,EX,TTSub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
It is what it is unfortunately, either wait or pick one up from a trusted sellers right here on TRF. Don't do ebay, craigslist or even Bobs watches. Our Trusted Dealers show exactly what they are selling, many of which BNIB and you can rest easily that you are getting a genuine piece.

I write this with no disrespect to any of the watch sources mentioned earlier in this thread.

Buy your watch where you are confident the seller will remedy any genuine issues and offers a money back guarantee if what you ordered is not what you get!

I give examples.

Claim 1. Watch is in perfect running order.
Claim 2. Keeps perfect time.
Claim 3. Excellent condition - Like new.

Now after you pay for and receive the watch and if any one of the above Claims is incorrect what are you going to do?
Sulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 09:48 AM   #33
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Buy from a trusted seller or move on to other brands. There is no way I would buy from ebay. I actually just had this conversation with my wife today. She bought a Burberry scarf from eBay and it is clearly fake. I called her on the phone once I opened it up. I asked her to stop buying from eBay because this is the 3rd fake item she has purchased. She then informed me that it is probably more like 7-10 fake items, but that she was afraid to tell me about the other ones. She managed to get refunds for most of them, but that is such a hassle.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 09:54 AM   #34
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Depending upoon the actual AGE of the watch, many resellers will be providing you with a watch that may be very badly over-polished.

Not too likely with an almost new one.

They (Bob's) offered me a year 2000 Rolesor Blue dial Sub that upon receipt was pretty bad, in spite of a previous conversation that alluded to "only a very slight polish."

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 10:03 AM   #35
Sulla
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,AK,DJ,EX,TTSub
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
Buy from a trusted seller or move on to other brands. There is no way I would buy from ebay. I actually just had this conversation with my wife today. She bought a Burberry scarf from eBay and it is clearly fake. I called her on the phone once I opened it up. I asked her to stop buying from eBay because this is the 3rd fake item she has purchased. She then informed me that it is probably more like 7-10 fake items, but that she was afraid to tell me about the other ones. She managed to get refunds for most of them, but that is such a hassle.
"eBay Money Back Guarantee
Get the item you ordered or get your money back."

What is the hassle? Present the scarf to a Burberry shop / store / expert and get a statement confirming it is "not genuine / a fake"! Submit that detail to eBay and VOILA... You get your money back! Simple and "finita la musica!"

I hope your wife left appropriate feedback for the sellers who tried to rip her off!

I HAVE TOTAL CONFIDENCE WHEN BUYING ON EBAY THAT I WILL NOT BE RIPPED OFF BY BEING SENT A FAKE OR AN ITEM NOT AS DESCRIBED!
Sulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 10:37 AM   #36
westcoastghost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
"eBay Money Back Guarantee
Get the item you ordered or get your money back."

What is the hassle? Present the scarf to a Burberry shop / store / expert and get a statement confirming it is "not genuine / a fake"! Submit that detail to eBay and VOILA... You get your money back! Simple and "finita la musica!"

I hope your wife left appropriate feedback for the sellers who tried to rip her off!

I HAVE TOTAL CONFIDENCE WHEN BUYING ON EBAY THAT I WILL NOT BE RIPPED OFF BY BEING SENT A FAKE OR AN ITEM NOT AS DESCRIBED!
I have had an eBay account for 18 years now,I have sold hundreds of items, just random things I no longer needed or did not end up using. I'm sure the policies have changed over the years, but if what you are saying is true, how is the seller protected? How do you prove what you are getting appraised is what was received? What is stopping someone who receives an authentic watch from taking a fake to rolex and asking them if it is real, just to file a claim?

Many years ago when I was selling consistently on eBay, I ran across every type of online fraud attempt directed towards me, and with eBay it was very much an open and shut case based on just one piece of evidence. For example I submitted a claim stating I never received a package, the seller then immediately sent a package with tracking that was empty. Ebay ruled in the sellers favor because he then had provided a tracking number. They said my claim was I never received a package, not that it was empty. I had to fight it for several weeks , they asked me to get a police report, which I did. I finally turned to my bank to fight Paypal and was done with it.
westcoastghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 10:58 AM   #37
Bigbird57
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711CHNR
The seller is not really protected on ebay. They almost always side with the buyer. I have had a few experiences as a seller (not for luxury items) where I think the buyer just changed their mind. They submitted a claim that the item was not as described or defective. Even though I listed no returns, ebay made me take it back. Well, they took the money back and I really didnt have a choice but to Accept the return. I guess if you have a fake paypal that is not really linked to your bank account as a seller you could get away with it..
Bigbird57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 11:53 AM   #38
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
I bought my first Rolex from Bob's. I would recommend them without any hesitation at all. The watch arrived less than 12 hours after I paid them via FedEx in perfect condition. They answered all of my pre and post sales questions and they were an absolute pleasure to deal with.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 11:58 AM   #39
replicator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
There are a few trusted sellers from Canada if you want to do a local deal. I’ve done a deal with Distinctivetime and he was good to work with.

From US have dealt with DavidSW a few times, also very solid, but I’d personally be prepared to pay some duties if you’re shipping directly to Canada. Better safe than sorry.
replicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 12:05 PM   #40
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I agree with what a few others have advised and that is go the AD route if at all possible.

If you feel like you’re just not getting anywhere, then go gray, but always buy the seller. I’d never buy from eBay or kijiji, too many reputable sellers here.

Lastly, if you see a deal that sounds too good to be true, it is

Good luck
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 12:33 PM   #41
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWilson1 View Post
Hi everyone

I am not sure how things operate in else where but I have called most AD on west coast amd none i mean none are willing to put me on any list. All have the same line of no waitlists, and forming an expensive relationship and then perhaps after a significant investment I may be considered for one.

Honestly I am not even exaggerating the vocab. They all have this line essentially.

Dont get me wrong I’d much prefer to wait for AD but at least where im at geographically, i dont see it happening.
2 years ago I went to 33 Rolex Authorized dealers
In search of any sport steel model or steel and gold.
After 4 days of driving all over Austria and south Germany
I only found 1 steel and gold black Sub
and one steel AirKing

I see how easily my fellow TRFers suggest to you ...buy from an AD ?
Only trouble...the ADs have none available for sale...and even if they did
...they would not have sold it to you.

Here is my advice...unless you find a reputable “Grey” to supply
the watch you want - at a premium - ....”you ain’t getting any”

There are many brand new Rolex Submariners available for sale
....and it is easy to buy one...be smart ...and search diligently
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 10:22 PM   #42
Gingerbule
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tblack Milgauss
I have never bought directly from Bobs however I have had two watches that have been through the store.

Its a large well known store you will not buy anything other than a genuine piece.

As for importing this is a bit more tricky I have not had issues sending to Canada previously but if the watch is picked up then you will be liable.

What sub you plan on buying?

Good luck
Gingerbule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 01:05 AM   #43
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

I've never dealt with Bobs but they seem to have a good reputation. I bought a watch from DavidSW and it was a very good experience and I'd recommend him.

If you do buy from a grey market dealer, make sure it is someone that is reputable and has been in business for a long time. Chances are better that they will still be in business later if you ever have an issue or want to sell it back.

Negotiate, especially in the current economic climate. Asking price is just that. You will pay a premium at a grey dealer but it doesn't have to be the list price.

That said, as other have noted, if you aren't in a rush subs routinely come available at ADs.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 03:04 AM   #44
Paulsky
"TRF" Member

I think that given the current situation it would be foolish to buy from a grey dealer, even a reputable one, and pay over MSRP. You should be patient and an AD might have a Sub available for you. I mean how many people are buying these days.
Paulsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 03:36 AM   #45
Santiago79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner a
Good look on your purchase, I hope you will find a good dealer.
Santiago79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 04:25 AM   #46
tymonster
"TRF" Member

Sourced my 116600 from DavidSW in Florida. Seamless transaction and received my watch next day. Not sure on the specifics with shipping to Canada but would check him out. Sometimes the peace of mind (i.e. purchasing from Bob's or David) is worth an extra few bucks.
tymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 06:46 AM   #47
Model12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymonster View Post
Sourced my 116600 from DavidSW in Florida. Seamless transaction and received my watch next day. Not sure on the specifics with shipping to Canada but would check him out. Sometimes the peace of mind (i.e. purchasing from Bob's or David) is worth an extra few bucks.
Same here. I bought my first AK and wife's DJ from Bob's and although I paid full market price, I am very pleased. Had great service and got 2 nice solid pieces. Wearing it every day since Christmas 17. Good for a first purchase while learning the ropes.
Model12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 09:04 AM   #48
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymonster View Post
Agreed
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 02:42 PM   #49
Tarnsman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex, Oris
I purchased from DavidSW. I was treated with respect and the transaction was lightning fast and the watch was excellent as described. These Trusted Sellers are trustworthy because their business depends on a stellar reputation. That is worth a lot more to them than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tarnsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 02:54 PM   #50
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
If you can go to hong kong. You will be in rolex heaven

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 02:57 PM   #51
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I bet your AD won't laugh at you a month and half later.
Old 3 April 2020, 03:12 PM   #52
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II-16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkngshrp View Post
Start calling other AD’s across the country and be prepared to leave a reasonable deposit of 25-50% as a show of good faith (of course said deposit would be refundable within a specified time of the watch didn’t show up). I had two AD’s lined up this way without issue. Just keep looking and calling across the country.
So when they have one available, you have to fly to their location? The AD I contacted in AZ told me I had to be physically present at their store. I'm coming from SoCal so I'm not traveling all the way to AZ just for a watch even not considering the current situation.
cj3209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 03:51 PM   #53
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
I would always buy from a Rolex a boutique. I like to try it on, and you could build a relationship with the AD. For example, I purchased my SS Submariner Date, and a SS DateJust from a AD. I’ve known him for 25 years. He called me a year ago and ask me if I was interested in the “ Batman, Coke, or the Explorer 1? I thanked him, and said no. He said whatever you want, let me know. He also knows I’m not going to “ Flip” the Rolex. I’ve sent him friends that made several purchases over the years, and there now his customers. I once chipped the crystal on my DateJust, and he replaced it at no charge. So, for me, having a relationship with a AD is important.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 04:04 PM   #54
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Hey OP. I had a similar experience when I tried to buy my sub from an AD. Basically laughed at although it was a bit more restrained than that. I didn't realize you needed a PhD in Rolex to roll with the AD experience. I felt like I had just walked into a particle physics lab and said I'd like to chat about gravity. I said F* that and went with a trusted seller. DavidSW is one and there are a few others. I've learned a bit since then and feel more confident in going into an AD but would likely still source from a TS.

Then again with the market these days you could probably have a sub in a few weeks or months from an AD. Or tomorrow from a TS.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 04:50 PM   #55
P7M8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
I would purchase new, if possible at MSRP, which most people want. Having peace of mind that your first Rolex is new, authentic and has your name on the warranty card is worth the wait. I know it seems impossible when you don’t have purchase history and every AD you call just laughs or tells you no. I went to one AD over and over. I have a lot of interest in watches, talked with different people working there, tried on some different pieces and stayed determined. I am not going to lie and say I didn’t have the thought to go grey. I looked at Bob’s and DAVIDSW and after a lot of research I would have no hesitation to make a purchase from DAVIDSW. I stuck it out and ended up with my dream watch which was a BLNR. Some might say I got lucky, but I got what I was after and didn’t compromise for a different reference. Good luck, the hunt is part of the fun once you get your sub.
P7M8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 04:53 PM   #56
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Buying from a trusted dealer like Daviid SW in the US is a whole different ball of wax for us Canadians. First you’ll be paying above MSRP which I have no interest in doing. Then you’ll be paying in US currencies which has seen the worst exchange rate in recent memory, I’m talking paying 50% above the US price after the exchange rate is factored in. Then comes the hassle of bringing it into the country. It’s about 17% taxes and duties if you live on the west coast plus brokerage fees and the amount of time it may get stuck at customs. I would say wait it out and buy it from a local AD. A Sub is not that hard to get especially the way things are now you may be able to walk in and buy one in two to three months times. These ADs are all in high end retail spaces and they all have to pay rent.
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 07:06 PM   #57
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
You want a good experience call DavidSW with your needs he will take care of you.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 11:18 PM   #58
JimBianchi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex OP39 Blue
I bought my first Tudor from Bob's.

Great experience. I knew what I wanted, knew the prices and he had a new one in stock and shipped to me over night.

My Rolex was bought from Watch Box, again excellent service. This virus made shipping and receiving take a few extra days, but the watch is perfect at a great price.

My second Tudor was from an eBay private party seller in South Carolina with lots of great feedback and a long history of selling. With buyer protection I was very secure. Watch is perfect, price was very good.

As always, Buyer Beware.
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 11:34 PM   #59
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I would never pay the premium on a Daytona C or BLRO but for a watch that doesn't carry a huge premium like a Sub, I would consider a grey dealer if the ADs won't sell to me. The modest premium would be worth getting the watch and enjoying it versus waiting however long before an AD offers something.
Of course, now with covid19, ADs may be more flexible if you are still in the market.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 03:30 AM   #60
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrolex View Post
Buying from a trusted dealer like Daviid SW in the US is a whole different ball of wax for us Canadians. First you’ll be paying above MSRP which I have no interest in doing. Then you’ll be paying in US currencies which has seen the worst exchange rate in recent memory, I’m talking paying 50% above the US price after the exchange rate is factored in. Then comes the hassle of bringing it into the country. It’s about 17% taxes and duties if you live on the west coast plus brokerage fees and the amount of time it may get stuck at customs. I would say wait it out and buy it from a local AD. A Sub is not that hard to get especially the way things are now you may be able to walk in and buy one in two to three months times. These ADs are all in high end retail spaces and they all have to pay rent.
I agree with this comment 100%. Don't buy from different countries, it will cost you a lot more no matter how good the seller is.

It's just a watch, wait a little longer, it will be a lot easier to get at a better price.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote