The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 February 2020, 10:25 PM   #31
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

There can be corrosion under the bezel as well. Not so much in the case of body acid but more of a threat for those who spend a lot of time in the sea.

I bought this late 70s 1603 case for a project from a seller in Afghanistan. It's a fine, thick case and when I popped the bezel off this is what I found. What you see there isn't corrosion, it's dried blood.

I put it in a tin and haven't touched it since, that was 5 years ago.

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 07:10 AM   #32
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
There can be corrosion under the bezel as well. Not so much in the case of body acid but more of a threat for those who spend a lot of time in the sea.

I bought this late 70s 1603 case for a project from a seller in Afghanistan. It's a fine, thick case and when I popped the bezel off this is what I found. What you see there isn't corrosion, it's dried blood.

Thanks for commenting on my topic Mr. Carver. I have followed your posts on here and The Vintage Rolex Forum that you started for a long time now. I appreciate your love of the Datejust and agree that it’s an important part of vintage Rolex. I absolutely love mine and while it’s not particularly vintage yet it’s well on it’s way and my 5 year old daughter loves it because it’s beautiful and it’s “Daddy’s Watch”
I can’t wait to pass it on to her someday, she asked me today if she could keep it forever. I told her of course, it’s made to last forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 08:44 AM   #33
Overwound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post

That's a fair amount of dried blood. The watch looks to be in good condition otherwise. Was it cut off of someone's body?
Overwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 09:34 AM   #34
Claven2
"TRF" Member

FWIW, blood is acidic and can put 316L over time. If not done, you should at least clean that off.

Likely the PO just cut themselves at some point.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 12:17 PM   #35
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
FWIW, blood is acidic and can put 316L over time. If not done, you should at least clean that off.

Likely the PO just cut themselves at some point.
Actually blood is slightly alkaline. The salt in it attracts moisture after it dries and that is what causes the corrosion.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 02:19 AM   #36
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

I don't know the history of this 1603 and can only speculate. Based on it's age it's possible it was brought to Afghanistan by a Russian soldier, their misadventure ran from 1978-92. It was a nearly new watch then. Or perhaps more recently by a NATO troop or even a local Taliban potentate. Maybe it was stolen back and forth for 30 years.

The sure thing is it's violent end. It would have to lay in a puddle of blood for that much to have seeped all the way to the crystal, that took some time. We'll never know what happened to the previous owner but it wasn't good. I'll never use that case, it'll stay in it's darkness the rest of my life. Most soldiers mean well, none believe they are the bad guys. As Patton famously said; "don't die for your country, make that other poor son of a bitch die for his country".

Right or wrong he was doing the best he could, he probably loved his old Rolex. :)
Old 19 February 2020, 02:21 AM   #37
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmurphy View Post
Thank you for the kind words. :)
Old 19 February 2020, 02:36 AM   #38
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Here’s an example of what I’m talking about:

Thats a quite old watch and most cases of case corrosion was back when many Rolex watches were used as tool watches.And many were not serviced in there life, thats when this case back corrosion happened hard use and lack of service.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 08:25 AM   #39
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Thats a quite old watch and most cases of case corrosion was back when many Rolex watches were used as tool watches.And many were not serviced in there life, thats when this case back corrosion happened hard use and lack of service.

That was an extreme example for sure, what brought this up for me was a recent Datejust sale listing and it had a fair amount of pitting and the asking price was $3000 and I was shocked that someone might actually buy it and pay for a case that may or may not be able to be repaired. There’s too many nice examples for less than that or not much more. I also want to prevent anything like that from happening to mine. I’ve seen plenty of watches a lot older than mine with no damage so I’m not so concerned anymore. I appreciate everyone’s feedback tho, I think what concerns me the most is the corrosion that I see on the handsets. Some folks don’t seem to mind it but I would.

Old 19 February 2020, 09:29 AM   #40
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasubmariner View Post
Because of acid inside the sweat coming from the skin.

Not washing the watch often.

Swimming with the watch inside pool or sea.

Sleeping with the watch.

Instead of washing the watch with filtered water, washing it with tap water which have sediment, stain and other particles.

Using soap instead of baby shampoo which ruins gaskets.

My Sub C has never been under any water. Only washed with filtered water and baby shampoo after every wear. I have worn the watch 2-3 days a month since 8 years and washed it after each time I wear it. Recently serviced and I saw that it was looking like a brand new watch. The watchmaker opened the case so easily and was shocked to see a 8 year old like brand new watch.

Hmm.
Mine is the opposite my 16610 went 17 years without service, wash when only visibly dirty, and wear doing anything and everything. No issues at all. It will outlive me by far.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 09:55 AM   #41
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Go with gold... no pitting?
Old 20 February 2020, 05:03 AM   #42
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
1968 5513

R Murphy's photo of corrosion had me concerned, I did inspect my 5513 prior to purchase but for the life of me I couldn't remember if I inspected the movement that would shown corrosion when the case back was off,

I've been frantically worrying about this all day

this evening after trawling through my photo archive of my 5513 I came across this...

panic over,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968 Rolex case seal.jpg (129.7 KB, 140 views)
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 05:58 AM   #43
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
R Murphy's photo of corrosion had me concerned, I did inspect my 5513 prior to purchase but for the life of me I couldn't remember if I inspected the movement that would shown corrosion when the case back was off,

I've been frantically worrying about this all day

this evening after trawling through my photo archive of my 5513 I came across this...

panic over,

Let’s see the front of that beauty Spoilsofwar01. It’s crazy to think that could happen to a watch isn’t it. What’s even more mind boggling to me is the people selling watches like that and describing the cases to be in “great shape” “fat lugs” etc etc. They might have fat cases but they are rotting away.

Old 21 February 2020, 05:33 AM   #44
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Quote:
Let’s see the front of that beauty Spoilsofwar01. It’s crazy to think that could happen to a watch isn’t it. What’s even more mind boggling to me is the people selling watches like that and describing the cases to be in “great shape” “fat lugs” etc etc. They might have fat cases but they are rotting away.

A view from the front, Its a 1968 5513. the dial and hands are early (matt) service replacements circa 1970, I will be adding a 93150 bracelet as the 7836 isn't quite right, many thanks for the interest,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex 1.jpg (268.0 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex.jpg (181.9 KB, 125 views)
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 03:57 AM   #45
DateJust74
"TRF" Member

Is this the start of pitting on those 904L lugs or are those just scratches?

https://imgur.com/a/rFoNyZQ
DateJust74 is offline   Reply With Quote