The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 1 March 2018, 05:57 AM   #31
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
Very true TNG11

Nobody cares about what Ed Sheeran on John Mayer wear outside of Hodinkee. Future and Migos have generated enough revenue in music to put Elvis to shame. Turn on the radio and it’s a Migos song, change the station it’s another Migos song. Turn it off, then turn it back on..... and another Migos song.
In all honesty I have heard about Sheehan, Mayer and Elvis but Future and Migos are completely unknown to me. I asked my kids and they have no clue either.
Old 1 March 2018, 06:00 AM   #32
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Don't know who they are...now that I looked them up...I want the Nautilus far less.
Why do you care about who else is wearing a watch you like? How does it take away from your enjoyment or appreciation for the piece? I'm genuinely interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronomentro View Post
Great post DeeTee! Totally agree with your thesis. Remember Gents, Future/Migos didnt make the Nautilus desirable for you specifically. Some of you have been collecting and on these boards when these rappers were in primary school. These celebs are pushing 2nd hand 5711 prices from 10k above retail to 20k above retail. Why are these rappers picking up Patek and not AP anymore? well of course novelty, publicity after the NY exhibition, low interest rates, good stock market etc. We are all influenced by taste makers. Most people on this forums have huge respect for John Mayer who is clearly the Heir Apparent to Eric Clapton in the watch game. Of course on the other side of the world, there are plenty of people with disposable money who want to be like Future/Migos and the watch is more approachable than the Lambo, Bentley truck etc. Im from ATL and can honestly say these guys are garbage compared to Outkast but hey, to each his own I suppose
You've nailed it. Yeah, people on these boards didn't like the Nautilus necessarily because of pop culture, but we're a small portion of the entire watch market. Lots of people out there with oodles of money who are spending it mimicking stars and celebrities, all thanks to social media and the ease of showing off these days. It is frankly, quite naïve and snobbish to think that people who follow pop culture and listen to artists like Future and Migos don't have the means to buy these watches and aren't doing so.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 06:00 AM   #33
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very true TNG11

Nobody cares about what Ed Sheeran on John Mayer wear outside of Hodinkee. Future and Migos have generated enough revenue in music to put Elvis to shame. Turn on the radio and it’s a Migos song, change the station it’s another Migos song. Turn it off, then turn it back on..... and another Migos song.
is it weird that i like them both more now that i know they are WIS and both have excellent taste in watches? I bought a JM album recently and its not bad. ES i ran into at Byron's Hamburgers in Clapham (london) a few years ago. Cool guy.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 06:06 AM   #34
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosI View Post
First time in my life i heard those artists.
Same here.

Please send me a PM when they´ve finally pushed the 5711 second hand price to 60 or 70k.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 06:19 AM   #35
kronomentro
"TRF" Member

Watch: APRO & PPRegulator
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
is it weird that i like them both more now that i know they are WIS and both have excellent taste in watches? I bought a JM album recently and its not bad. ES i ran into at Byron's Hamburgers in Clapham (london) a few years ago. Cool guy.
Its interesting b/c I havent come around to JM's or ES's music but judging from JM's own interviews, he himself doesnt seem to be comfortable with his pop stuff either. We have to remember that popular music and popular films and dare I say popular watches are attractive to people who may not appreciate them fully from a form or technical perspective but rather are more heavily influenced by trends. After Migos and Future move on to rapping about the next thing, most of us on this forum will be dissecting Patek's 2020 BaselWorld releases but the greater popular audience will have moved on. Im too new myself to watch collecting to be haughty but I went through a similar process with the music group The Roots. I was catching their small shows back in the late 90s and these days they are the house band for the Tonight Show. I just enjoy them in a diff way but look back fondly on the good ole days. It must be how golf fans felt when Tiger was killing it. Everyone got on the bandwagon to watch and play golf (myself included) and left as swiftly as a drunken crash to a neighbor's mailbox. Golf is still around though and has plenty of enthusiasts, just back to its prior audience. All bubbles burst in some capacity but things dont necessarily go to zero.
kronomentro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 06:23 AM   #36
CRDMMW
Banned

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
TS needs this guy to endorse the Nautilus like I need a hole in my head.

I agree!!! ROFL. TS is definitely not paying these guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CRDMMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 06:25 AM   #37
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Yup! I made this same argument last month. AP was hot when Jay Z and Kanye kept rapping about them. Now it’s all Patek.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 06:27 AM   #38
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDMMW View Post
I agree!!! ROFL. TS is definitely not paying these guys.

well isn't he approving the application pieces or approving large shipments to the LA AD's? Some of them have to have application pieces. At a minimum he is listening to their minute repeaters personally
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 06:47 AM   #39
kronomentro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
well isn't he approving the application pieces or approving large shipments to the LA AD's? Some of them have to have application pieces. At a minimum he is listening to their minute repeaters personally
Agree! even if all of us do not know Future/Migos etc. I suspect that the Patek US president or regional reps know exactly who they are. Say what you want about any of this. A billion dollar legacy luxury company like Patek's main concern has to be brand maintenance. Making sure these select guys get their hands on an iced out Nautilus is a win win-free PR and trickle down demand for the comparable "affordable" SS versions. No one is suggesting the watches these celebs wear or the general popular audience will be collectible. But alas, the question is retail sales to keep the business thriving vs. collectibility to keep the brand reputation thriving.
Old 1 March 2018, 06:51 AM   #40
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
What's great about Patek is that anyone who wears one buys it. They don't get it for free and they won't make a Patek with a rapper or footballers name on a limited edition.

Lots of famous people have worn Patek for years and it kept going strong.

Personally I haven't seen any of these diamond encrusted Pateks or these musicians , don't really care .. still love my Pateks and enjoy all the new models.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 1 March 2018, 07:10 AM   #41
kronomentro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUK View Post
What's great about Patek is that anyone who wears one buys it. They don't get it for free and they won't make a Patek with a rapper or footballers name on a limited edition.

Lots of famous people have worn Patek for years and it kept going strong.

Personally I haven't seen any of these diamond encrusted Pateks or these musicians , don't really care .. still love my Pateks and enjoy all the new models.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Exactly! People like us (non-celebs, on forums, regular AD clients) and of course the big time collectors maintain the brand for the generation. In the midst of this, the celebs/musicians etc rise the tide some. It just happens that for the Nautilus' sake, a constellation of events have transpired all at once to lift an already desirable piece to crazed status. The situation is a blip (or bubble) in a 175 year history. The question is: does this present the more enduring Patek fans with any opportunities that people are overlooking?
Old 1 March 2018, 07:50 AM   #42
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Why do you care about who else is wearing a watch you like? How does it take away from your enjoyment or appreciation for the piece? I'm genuinely interested.
Since you're genuinely interested, I will try to respond. Ultimately I buy/wear watches I like. I don't post here often because I'm not a seasoned Patek collector like some of you, but am trying to get introduced to the brand via a Nautilus. After significantly collecting both Rolex and Omega on the modern and vintage side for awhile, I'm honestly at a point where there isn't much I want from either brands and that's the reason for the want to venture. So far, the price point for the product, AD treatment, and the way the brand positions entry watches already discourages me somewhat. On top of this, I am a huge fan of almost all genres of music for a lifetime now and reflects in my HIFI hobbies.....and I try to keep an open mind always about music but there are many reasons why I despise a lot of current "hip hop".....looking quickly at these "artists" seem to tick these boxes quite easily....so yeah, for me it's not exactly making me jump for joy associating them with the brand.

I'm not trying to attack your or anyone's preference in watches, musical tastes etc.....and I usually could care less/don't comment on things I dislike, but "hip hop" like this gets under my skin in the worst way and gets me upset as a parent of a generation that mainstreams this as "popular."
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 08:24 AM   #43
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
That’s why I bought mine.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 08:41 AM   #44
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Surely I hope you mean downloaded
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 09:00 AM   #45
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Rappers are just like sports stars and entertainment stars in being the most overt form of new money, and yes due to SM they have a lot of direct followers, a tiny percentage of them rich enough to buy these products and make a mark on the market. But then by the same SM token this forum and others play an even bigger part in making the market now, we are basically old money in SM terms, and so we are probably the biggest factor in all the hype of the last year when lots of new money was looking for a watch home.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 09:07 AM   #46
soundserious
"TRF" Member

plausible, it’s nice to feel culturally relevant, thanks!
Old 1 March 2018, 09:19 AM   #47
thomaswentworth
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610 Sub
Quote:
Yes. These guys make it cool.
Athletes and actors/actresses follow suit.
Then the new money rich jumps on hard.

When you have millions of rich young people, and only a few thousand watches what happens?
I secretly think TS is paying Future. (Dior, Nike, etc already do)
I think this makes a lot of sense. And repeating the name in catchy songs over and over and over has to be an incredible form of advertising. People just love the song and get bombarded with an advertisement that makes people really want to get one. I wonder if this was planned or happened by chance. Rolex is a great marketer, but Patek set the pace with the advent of the Patek Museum and being the first to the game of buying their own watches at major auctions at record setting prices and publicizing the results. They think outside the box and I totally respect them for that. Hard to say for sure if it is planned/endorsed or Patek just got lucky by the inclusion in songs. Nice to see it though.
thomaswentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 09:35 AM   #48
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
The true reason the Nautilus is impossible to get

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaswentworth View Post
I think this makes a lot of sense. And repeating the name in catchy songs over and over and over has to be an incredible form of advertising. People just love the song and get bombarded with an advertisement that makes people really want to get one. I wonder if this was planned or happened by chance. Rolex is a great marketer, but Patek set the pace with the advent of the Patek Museum and being the first to the game of buying their own watches at major auctions at record setting prices and publicizing the results. They think outside the box and I totally respect them for that. Hard to say for sure if it is planned/endorsed or Patek just got lucky by the inclusion in songs. Nice to see it though.

It’s just too blatant with the music. Songs with the name Patek as the title. Hooks and choruses singing Patek this Patek that. I know we are on a watch forum so I’ll get flamed for this but Patek is peanuts compared to LVMH and Nike. Pateks year revenue is like a days work for those guys. They PAY whoever is the biggest celebrity’s with most influence in the world. They pay Future..... handsomely.

You guys look at Patek like they are some higher being, they are just a company that makes great watches and wants to make $$$. Future is the reason Patek is the watch brand to get now. He’s been pushing “plain Jane” Pateks now, and I’m starting to see people purchasing other Pateks outside of the Nautilus. Patek has to be paying him. The 5522 was just a decoy, Future is the one introducing Patek to the younger demographic.

They played the game smart, if they flooded the streets with 5711’s the exclusivity is done. Rappers like Future are all about pushing upper echelon products that 99% can’t afford, but do an amazing job placing it on the 1%.

Look at chrono24, over 25% of Nautilus now are bustdowns.(term for aftermarket ice) This is the watch that proves a status symbol now, and your supposed to have it iced out if your in the same league as the people singing about it.
(Which is the reason untouched examples are getting hefty premiums)

DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 09:52 AM   #49
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You guys look at Patek like they are some higher being, they are just a company that makes great watches and wants to make $$$.
You clearly don’t understand Patek.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 10:08 AM   #50
kronomentro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
You clearly don’t understand Patek.
Totally agree, you cant compare Patek to LVMH or Nike. They are different products with different histories for different markets and certainly different price points. You also cant compare Patek to boutique brands on one end or Swatch on the other end-and they all make the same product! They call it the holy trinity for a reason..
Old 1 March 2018, 11:00 AM   #51
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Not surprised

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 11:05 AM   #52
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I definitely agree that questionable music (that ain’t hip hop) coming out of Atlanta is a major reason for the hype on the nautilus in the US. Sorry ATL your hip hop history is rich with incredible talent but this new stuff is hard on the ears.

The pockets of the wealthy are flush right now and at least in the US the brand has experienced a great deal of free advertising from this garbage that covers the radio all day. There’s a lot of people who otherwise would be wearing day dates that decided they would spring for a Patek. Patek doesn’t make enough to cover that demand.

Migos and future didn’t discover Patek they took influence from some of the tastemakers and then used it in their songs. The thing is...their songs lack any sort of lyrical content and just repeat 5 words for 5 minutes which is perfect for marketing!

This isn’t exactly news D we have been talking about it for awhile. I don’t believe it’s some sort of conspiracy marketing plan.

Old 1 March 2018, 11:12 AM   #53
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
I cant wait for this Future guy’s Pateks to someday sell at auction. I can easily see them surpassing the 17million Paul Newman’s Rolex pulled in. He has single handedly saved Patek Philippe and we should all go download his album as a token of our appreciation

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 11:17 AM   #54
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I reckon the reason the Nautilus is hard to get is due to very limited supply by Patek, and the high demand from across the globe. That's what it is.

Most of the Asians are not exposed to the rappers' music, but Nautilus is so hard to get here.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 11:28 AM   #55
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Sensui,

I just read his unwarranted attack on you. For those who don't know Sensui, he is not the kind of guy who follows the herd. He likes the Nautilus because of its aesthetics and history.

It is really uncool to attack someone you don't even know. Uncool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Since you're genuinely interested, I will try to respond. Ultimately I buy/wear watches I like. I don't post here often because I'm not a seasoned Patek collector like some of you, but am trying to get introduced to the brand via a Nautilus. After significantly collecting both Rolex and Omega on the modern and vintage side for awhile, I'm honestly at a point where there isn't much I want from either brands and that's the reason for the want to venture. So far, the price point for the product, AD treatment, and the way the brand positions entry watches already discourages me somewhat. On top of this, I am a huge fan of almost all genres of music for a lifetime now and reflects in my HIFI hobbies.....and I try to keep an open mind always about music but there are many reasons why I despise a lot of current "hip hop".....looking quickly at these "artists" seem to tick these boxes quite easily....so yeah, for me it's not exactly making me jump for joy associating them with the brand.

I'm not trying to attack your or anyone's preference in watches, musical tastes etc.....and I usually could care less/don't comment on things I dislike, but "hip hop" like this gets under my skin in the worst way and gets me upset as a parent of a generation that mainstreams this as "popular."
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 11:35 AM   #56
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I reckon the reason the Nautilus is hard to get is due to very limited supply by Patek, and the high demand from across the globe. That's what it is.

Most of the Asians are not exposed to the rappers' music, but Nautilus is so hard to get here.
It’s a global market.
Getting a yellow gold/green Daytona is hard to get in the US.
Nobody is wearing them here, they are all getting shipped to Asia, but they are sold out here.

Same with anything hot. If it’s super hot in NY, best believe the AD in Tokyo will be sold out since demand forces stock to be moved and bought.

Am I reaching with Patek and Future working together, maybe. Yet it’s undeniable that he caused the surge in Nautilus sales.
Old 1 March 2018, 11:40 AM   #57
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I would agree he contributed but caused is a huge reach.
Old 1 March 2018, 11:45 AM   #58
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
It’s a global market.
Getting a yellow gold/green Daytona is hard to get in the US.
Nobody is wearing them here, they are all getting shipped to Asia, but they are sold out here.

Same with anything hot. If it’s super hot in NY, best believe the AD in Tokyo will be sold out since demand forces stock to be moved and bought.

Am I reaching with Patek and Future working together, maybe. Yet it’s undeniable that he caused the surge in Nautilus sales.
AP and RM linking up with rappers is a possibility, Patek doing so is not unless it was to push the PCCs and PCs that sit for months, the last thing they need is more pushing of the sports SS which is what 99% of their followers will buy, just like the rest of the world. If there wasn't a huge uptick in Rolex and AP sales and prices I would deduce you have a point, but they are just part of this global wave where many various factors all feed on each other and drive hype higher.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 11:48 AM   #59
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronomentro View Post
Totally agree, you cant compare Patek to LVMH or Nike. They are different products with different histories for different markets and certainly different price points. You also cant compare Patek to boutique brands on one end or Swatch on the other end-and they all make the same product! They call it the holy trinity for a reason..
I wasn’t comparing. What I mentioned is he is sponsored by them (LVMH,Nike) which is the highest caliber endorsement.

There are different groups of people on this forum, who come from different backgrounds and lifestyles. Remember when your parents gave you crap about rock and roll, this is the same situation. Just because you don’t understand it doesn’t mean you have to knock it. These are people who are getting Grammys, attending Met Gala, getting cover of GQ.
Old 1 March 2018, 11:48 AM   #60
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
5711 is gangsta fo sho!
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote