The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 November 2022, 11:02 PM   #1
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
Datejust 16030 date moves when winding- problem?

Hi All, I had my datejust 16030 serviced about 6 months ago by a reputable watchmaker often recommended on the forum. Just recently, I noticed that the date wheel moves with each wind of the crown. The date doesn't change, but it just moves up slightly and back with each wind. It just recently started happening a couple weeks ago. I don't have the crown pulled out to far...just unscrew and wind like normal.

Does anyone know what is causing this and is it something I should be concerned about or is it normal? Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16030.jpg (182.0 KB, 81 views)
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 11:18 PM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn't say that it's normal.
Old 30 November 2022, 01:15 AM   #3
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
If the date function continues to work as normal, I wouldn't worry about it. Could just be a minor quirk on an old watch. The good news is you don't have to wind an automatic watch much.

Or ..... presumably you got a standard 1-year warranty on the service, so you'd still be covered if you wanted to send it back to the watchmaker to have it checked out.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 02:21 AM   #4
Ascari_2
2024 Pledge Member

Did you have the crown or stem replaced during service?
Old 30 November 2022, 02:32 AM   #5
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

No, I didn't have the stem or crown replaced during service. It was just a basic overhaul. The watch is working fine otherwise...but it does seem odd and none of my other watches behave this way. And this datejust hasn't done it in the past for the previous 5 years I've owned it.

I'll probably go ahead and contact the watch repairman, but it's kind of a hassle to send it back through fedex.
Old 2 June 2023, 11:58 AM   #6
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

This is the response I got from the watchmaker:

"that particular movement design can cause that only when manually winding it. The wheel may have enough wear that it is simply not sliding back as quickly as it should. Do note that in no way will it cause any damage or timing issues. Please feel free to give me a call if you'd like to better understand the issue. In order to keep that from happening, we would most likely need to replace that one wheel."

I've decided to leave the watch as is for now. I like having the original date wheel with the open 6 and 9s.
Old 2 June 2023, 12:23 PM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk552502 View Post
This is the response I got from the watchmaker:

"that particular movement design can cause that only when manually winding it. The wheel may have enough wear that it is simply not sliding back as quickly as it should. Do note that in no way will it cause any damage or timing issues. Please feel free to give me a call if you'd like to better understand the issue. In order to keep that from happening, we would most likely need to replace that one wheel."

I've decided to leave the watch as is for now. I like having the original date wheel with the open 6 and 9s.
That's not the wheel he's referring to. Give him a call so you can understand it better and make an informed decision. Although I wouldn't worry about it either.