The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 November 2022, 04:03 PM   #31
Arnozerosix
"TRF" Member

wow, nice documentation, this release most doubts I guess....
Did they exchange the bracelet free of charge ?

very interesting thread ...
Arnozerosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2022, 09:21 PM   #32
Andjwhite
"TRF" Member

Very cool Rolex sent back the original bracelets and bezel construction. Very nice original insert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andjwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 07:35 AM   #33
Perku-t
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 DRSD MK3 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by pereztroika View Post
I know which type of engravings you're referring to but I've never seen them in combination with Orig Rolex Design. This is an interesting case since the mk3 dial seems to be alright. Let's see if op can provide more info to shine light on this mystery.

Cheers
Jose
Now maybe you have learned something more about SDs ? and quit your initial statement of "fake" based on pure air.

This watch can not be else than full genuine and can not be for me more unique than it is.

This watch as known all the seas of the south pacific ocean and some deep levels scuba.

This watch also checked the hands of Cousteau father and sons and all his crew on the Calypso and also on the Alcyon every time they came in Nouméa.

This watch also dived for "Fortunes of the Seas".

All time long every "Sub" owner was telling to my dad he had a fake or a cheap Rolex because it did'nt have the cyclope... he just asked for a "good diving" watch when he entered Rolex's with my mother in Paris in january 1975 and he knows nore is interested in nothing about Rolex. he wanted a good tool thats it.

at this time my mother had 40.000 XPF monthly incomes and my dad 30.000 XPF they paid 60.000 XPF for the watch the same day they bough a canon camera for 100.000 XPF just to give an idea.

Considering all the bittings and scratchs it has encountered I am ok with the fact that the bracelet had surely erased the encryption and maybe it has been reprinted but it is written nowhere, I don't know if they are used to mention it when they do it at Rolex but there where only 2 services done and they only mention polishing of the case ("polissage boite" 1987) and polishing of case and bracelet ("polissage boite et bracelet" 2004) the last bracelet was bought in New Zealand in 1992 for 17.000 XPF.

In regards of the reactions in this post toward the encryption I may try to use the technic to restore obliterated or erased marquings on steel surface to reveal any old markings maybe. it depend if the markings are etched or stamped.

Perku-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 09:19 AM   #34
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perku-t View Post
Now maybe you have learned something more about SDs ? and quit your initial statement of "fake" based on pure air.

This watch can not be else than full genuine and can not be for me more unique than it is.

This watch as known all the seas of the south pacific ocean and some deep levels scuba.

This watch also checked the hands of Cousteau father and sons and all his crew on the Calypso and also on the Alcyon every time they came in Nouméa.

This watch also dived for "Fortunes of the Seas".

All time long every "Sub" owner was telling to my dad he had a fake or a cheap Rolex because it did'nt have the cyclope... he just asked for a "good diving" watch when he entered Rolex's with my mother in Paris in january 1975 and he knows nore is interested in nothing about Rolex. he wanted a good tool thats it.

at this time my mother had 40.000 XPF monthly incomes and my dad 30.000 XPF they paid 60.000 XPF for the watch the same day they bough a canon camera for 100.000 XPF just to give an idea.

Considering all the bittings and scratchs it has encountered I am ok with the fact that the bracelet had surely erased the encryption and maybe it has been reprinted but it is written nowhere, I don't know if they are used to mention it when they do it at Rolex but there where only 2 services done and they only mention polishing of the case ("polissage boite" 1987) and polishing of case and bracelet ("polissage boite et bracelet" 2004) the last bracelet was bought in New Zealand in 1992 for 17.000 XPF.

In regards of the reactions in this post toward the encryption I may try to use the technic to restore obliterated or erased marquings on steel surface to reveal any old markings maybe. it depend if the markings are etched or stamped.

I think your anger is misplaced here. The choice of words (fake) could have been better, of course, but Jose spotted something major that remains unresolved. You may want to focus on unraveling that mystery going forward. Just so you know (as you seem new to this), there are some real vintage experts on this thread giving you valuable feedback.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 09:39 AM   #35
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
If you pop up around this circuit you're bound to get reviews from the experts.

This is not a "show your Rolex" group.

Serious people with years and years of handling this great brand will chime in - for the good - or for the bad.

Always to to help you out.

Be thankful you've landed here, OP
Filipão is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 10:07 AM   #36
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipão View Post
If you pop up around this circuit you're bound to get reviews from the experts.

This is not a "show your Rolex" group.

Serious people with years and years of handling this great brand will chime in - for the good - or for the bad.

Always to to help you out.

Be thankful you've landed here, OP
Well-said.

And there’s a lot of nuance and intent that gets lost in forum posts. No one is trying to spoil the party, they’re simply people with enormous expertise that are doing what they do best: dispassionately assessing a watch.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 10:49 AM   #37
Perku-t
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
I think your anger is misplaced here. The choice of words (fake) could have been better, of course, but Jose spotted something major that remains unresolved. You may want to focus on unraveling that mystery going forward. Just so you know (as you seem new to this), there are some real vintage experts on this thread giving you valuable feedback.
this was not anger at all, I play complete transparency to get advises and lights from experts for the goods. Shouting for fakes or wolves from nowhere even and expert can doubt but standing "fake" like nothing on an apparently common thing done during servicing listening to people in this forum. It may be so common that they do not mention it on the bills after all..

nowadays even fakes have the good markings for experts.

if the case would have been replaced how would they need to make you pay a polishing instead of a case ? if it had been grinded it would be visible and it is not.
I came in this forum to share, I may be new to vintage watches but the prestige collector corner is my cup of tea on other subjects and I know what it deals with.

For the experts I put a "?" in the title but no one replyed yet, thanks in advance
Old 16 November 2022, 01:53 PM   #38
pereztroika
"TRF" Member

Sure, I didn't consider the possibility of a service case at first but this watch nevertheless remains a mystery. The serial 3520735 doesn't belong to any known case number range in my database. The closest are 3519015 and 3523627, both featuring engravings done with the usual wide typeface (Registered Design, Stainless Steel) and belonging to larger batches. That of course doesn't mean anything as Sea-Dweller data is scarce and the database far from complete. @op, please show us the caseback and if possible the movement (serial) and the inside of the caseback.

Btw, the designation "Orig Rolex Design" that replaced "Registered Design" was introduced around case number 7 million. Pls note that Ref. 16660 was already in production since at least case number 6.5 million. This gives you an idea of how far off the case of the watch in question is.

Cheers
Jose

Instagram: @perezcope
pereztroika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 02:24 PM   #39
Perku-t
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pereztroika View Post
Sure, I didn't consider the possibility of a service case at first but this watch nevertheless remains a mystery. The serial 3520735 doesn't belong to any known case number range in my database. The closest are 3519015 and 3523627, both featuring engravings done with the usual wide typeface (Registered Design, Stainless Steel) and belonging to larger batches. That of course doesn't mean anything as Sea-Dweller data is scarce and the database far from complete. @op, please show us the caseback and if possible the movement (serial) and the inside of the caseback.

Btw, the designation "Orig Rolex Design" that replaced "Registered Design" was introduced around case number 7 million. Pls note that Ref. 16660 was already in production since at least case number 6.5 million. This gives you an idea of how far off the case of the watch in question is.

Cheers
Jose
Thanks Jose for your reply, I will try to open the case but I am little worry as I live in a very wet environnement under the tropic and I will try to do it a a jweler shop in the capital or a least with all the airconditioners on to prevent moisture from entering the inside.

just realised with your expertise that I left the full number in the paperwork reference lol

now I can post a full picture of the serial to help you distinguish on the rest of the numbers the police/type.

with my research I deducted that it was a 1972 built with this number but there is some holes in the serials lists I came accross on the web Iand I find that the 1970 to 1972-3 era is lacking datas
Old 16 November 2022, 02:48 PM   #40
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Most likely explanation seems to be a service case from Rolex with either lost paperwork, or not telling the owner.
Old 17 November 2022, 04:08 AM   #41
Filipão
"TRF" Member

40 + years of salt water, no excuse for these lousy pictures, I know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018.05.21 IMG_6237.jpg (87.5 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg 2018.05.21 IMG_6255.jpg (50.5 KB, 421 views)
Old 18 November 2022, 07:35 AM   #42
Perku-t
"TRF" Member

also those 2 pics from the sell section
noting above the 1665 and very light "STAINLESS" above the serial

Old 18 November 2022, 08:48 AM   #43
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
It could be there but worn out... Can't tell from seller's pictures. Only Rolex will know but the usual for your watch is 'REGISTERED DESIGN' + ref on one side & 'STAINLESS STEEL' + serial on the other. Here are similar (or not) "cases" to yours that you may be interested in:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vint...608033#p608033
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vint...607394#p607394
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vint...614578#p614578
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2022, 10:25 AM   #44
Perku-t
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
It could be there but worn out... Can't tell from seller's pictures. Only Rolex will know but the usual for your watch is 'REGISTERED DESIGN' + ref on one side & 'STAINLESS STEEL' + serial on the other. Here are similar (or not) "cases" to yours that you may be interested in:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vint...608033#p608033
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vint...607394#p607394
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vint...614578#p614578
Very interesting links thank you, will join this forum
Old 20 November 2022, 05:55 PM   #45
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
Prior to the introduction of 4.4 as the serial of replacement cases , it was quite common for Rolex to re engrave the serial of an original case back on to a replacement case , so from time to time you see things like that , an orig rolex design case ( post about 1981/2 ) when the registered design fell off … with an earlier serial number on .

It’d be interesting to see the bill from the 1989 service
You have been told !

99.9999999% Jedley will be correct
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2022, 06:05 PM   #46
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe ceramic will pop along
Old 21 November 2022, 07:18 AM   #47
Perku-t
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
Maybe ceramic will pop along
what do you mean Sir ?
Old 21 November 2022, 07:26 AM   #48
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perku-t View Post
what do you mean Sir ?
Ceramic is just the name of a very knowledgeable member here.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 10:06 AM   #49
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Ceramic is just the name of a very knowledgeable member here.
@Xeramic

You've been summoned!

Old 21 November 2022, 03:46 PM   #50
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

@ Xeramic

This Gentleman is without doubt a expert , As is Jedley , There knowledge is unbelievable and remember its free . We are lucky they drop in and educate us
Old 23 November 2022, 08:06 AM   #51
Xeramic
"TRF" Member

Hi all,

pretty all said; for the ref. 1665 (because of different stock quantities and production streets it’s not for all models exactly the same turning point) we see the last mid-cases with REGISTERED DESIGN in the 66xxxxx range, then those without a patent remark in the 66xxxxx to 67xxxxx range, followed by the 80xxxxx (1983) serial numbers with ORIG ROLEX DESIGN – the unnumbered overstock from this last batch served for replacements, completed either with a serial number out of the service serial ranges 44xxxxx/47xxxxx, or sometimes - like in this case - with the original serial number and font.

It’s very well possible they discreetly replaced the mid-case and just settled a polishing because of a lower metal quality – me too, I’ve noticed that some 70’s steel mid-cases (not only SDs) are very difficult to polish, there appear always fine streaks because of either harder or weaker particles/areas in the structure; some call it “meteor steel”.

Greetings,
Xeramic
Xeramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 09:26 AM   #52
Perku-t
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeramic View Post
Hi all,

pretty all said; for the ref. 1665 (because of different stock quantities and production streets it’s not for all models exactly the same turning point) we see the last mid-cases with REGISTERED DESIGN in the 66xxxxx range, then those without a patent remark in the 66xxxxx to 67xxxxx range, followed by the 80xxxxx (1983) serial numbers with ORIG ROLEX DESIGN – the unnumbered overstock from this last batch served for replacements, completed either with a serial number out of the service serial ranges 44xxxxx/47xxxxx, or sometimes - like in this case - with the original serial number and font.

It’s very well possible they discreetly replaced the mid-case and just settled a polishing because of a lower metal quality – me too, I’ve noticed that some 70’s steel mid-cases (not only SDs) are very difficult to polish, there appear always fine streaks because of either harder or weaker particles/areas in the structure; some call it “meteor steel”.

Greetings,
Xeramic
Thank you very much for your lights @Xeramic I noticed your knowledge on this fonts and years subjects a rolex tapatalk forum I discovered since.

I will be able to open the watch next week as I managed to get an appointement with a watchmaker in the capital just to open it.

the Rolex agent in Noumea told me if I wanted a service they send to the rolex in Australia but he has no power of telling them to keep hands and etc.. so I will pass on this official Rolex services. Hard to make this watch a rendez-vous for a trustable service when you are on a small iland and deceide to send your familly treasure overseas to somehone else for the good.
Old 30 November 2022, 02:24 PM   #53
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeramic View Post
Hi all,

Greetings,
Xeramic
Thank You Xeramic for your time and helping us understand
Old 30 November 2022, 02:42 PM   #54
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

at the time, it must've been pretty cool to get a brand spanking new case back from service
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 10:43 AM   #55
subx
"TRF" Member

Not taking any sides but as as far a ' service case discreetly replaced ' :
service cases in that era were stamped with a specific serial number range (4,4xx,xxx ? )
so this is not a service case. very strange and certainly raises questions.
Old 2 December 2022, 12:31 PM   #56
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subx View Post
Not taking any sides but as as far a ' service case discreetly replaced ' :
service cases in that era were stamped with a specific serial number range (4,4xx,xxx ? )
so this is not a service case. very strange and certainly raises questions.

May I suggest you read back through the thread .

Long before Rolex started using the reserved 4.4 serial range , ( and even afterwards in the case of some affiliates ) they would re engrave the original number onto a new case .
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 06:14 PM   #57
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=jedly1;12496085]May I suggest you read back through the thread .

Long before Rolex started using the reserved 4.4 serial range , ( and even afterwards in the case of some affiliates ) they would re engrave the original number onto a new case .[/QUOTE

As Jedly says take a read and possibly learn something ��
Old 3 December 2022, 12:46 AM   #58
donaker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dad's 5508
Such an interesting watch and thread. The amount of knowledge here is inspiring. I look forward to learning more about this amazing piece, it's history and the idiosyncrasies of past Rolex service practices.
Old 6 December 2022, 02:19 AM   #59
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
May I suggest you read back through the thread .

Long before Rolex started using the reserved 4.4 serial range , ( and even afterwards in the case of some affiliates ) they would re engrave the original number onto a new case .
Most interesting and enlightening. Much of Rolex lore and "rules" may be subject to exceptions. Be slow to judge and quick to seek other opinions.
My red 1969 1680 Submariner resembled this level of tool watch use,
with both combat and military diving. That these references stand up to 50 years of hard usage is a tribute to Hans Wilsdorf and his vision of the Rolex watch.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2022, 09:37 AM   #60
Perku-t
"TRF" Member

this is the job of a Rolex official AD in the states.... (they bother less with markings than a fakesmith..) maybe I had de chance to get mine done in Geneve and they still have the good stamps (in the yet unproven and unstated event they used a new service case) or they just restamped the uper "registerd" part that was surely damaged by the endlink with time and activities...

Rolex Double Red Seadweller Ref: 1665 Mark IV with 2010 Rolex Service
Serial #:5.2 mil
Case: Excellent case fully serviced by Rolex San Francisco this year
Round case back with the serial numbers engraved on the inside of the case back.
Dial : Excellent and gorgeous dial
Bracelet: Excellent 93150 with 585 end pieces
Accessories: Rolex service papers from Rolex SF ($1200 service cost)
This is a stunning Double Red with an excellent case

[this seller as 2636 sells in counter with 100% client satisfaction]

100% AUTHENTIC AND YOUR SATISFACTION IS GUARANTEED OR YOUR MONEY BACK

Mine as the "box" straight "ROLEX" marking on the back as it is a sub 5.2xx.xxx

while above 5.2xx.xxx it is a round in the circle Rolex marking

still diging on this DRSD subject :)