The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 December 2022, 02:59 AM   #1
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
<<< Penalty Kicks and behavior >>>

Since we may see a few games at the World Cup decided on penalty kicks, I got to thinking … how do shooters and goalie decide on where the kick is going?

Perhaps,it comes down to behavioral bias as the article suggests… I thought this was interesting.

https://westwoodgroup.com/weeklyblog...m-of-inaction/

You can choose to ignore the financial part … there are enough threads on that subject
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 03:47 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

And …. Two goals right down the middle
Old 7 December 2022, 04:05 AM   #3
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting article and analogy.

As a hockey player and fan (and not a soccer fan) I find the penalty shot in soccer as an entirely different animal than a penalty shot in hockey since the soccer version is basically a static choice perhaps based on having the book on the opposition. Their tendencies. Obviously the advantage goes to the shooter, mainly because of the size of the nets.

In hockey generally the skater comes in on the goalie and his strategy is to get the goalie to make the first move, commit himself, and the skater reacts and scores. He achieves this by dekes or shifting his body or stick handling to get the goalie to bite. I think the success rate is something like 30%. And the goalie has far less net to cover. 6 ft x 4 ft.

The investment analogy is an interesting study of human behavior. I doubt that before computers, investors were so second by second, or minute by minute or even day by day on their stocks. They essentially made a choice and let it ride. Perhaps today the illusion of being in control is just a hype.
Old 7 December 2022, 04:12 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Interesting article and analogy.

As a hockey player and fan (and not a soccer fan) I find the penalty shot in soccer as an entirely different animal than a penalty shot in hockey since the soccer version is basically a static choice perhaps based on having the book on the opposition. Their tendencies. Obviously the advantage goes to the shooter, mainly because of the size of the nets.

In hockey generally the skater comes in on the goalie and his strategy is to get the goalie to make the first move, commit himself, and the skater reacts and scores. He achieves this by dekes or shifting his body or stick handling to get the goalie to bite. I think the success rate is something like 30%.

I wonder if there’s a study in hockey on going five hole vs. deke, vs. shoot for a corner.

A buddy of mine played goal in JR. A in the O and always said the toughest thing for him to stop in a penalty shot was the five hole.
Old 7 December 2022, 04:16 AM   #5
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

I wonder if there’s a study in hockey on going five hole vs. deke, vs. shoot for a corner.

A buddy of mine played goal in JR. A in the O and always said the toughest thing for him to stop in a penalty shot was the five hole.
Yeah, the 5 hole (between the legs) is probably the hardest to cover for the simple reason that the shooter will make you move side to side even a little bit and the 5 hole will open up as the goalie has to shift his legs apart.

Of course now with the length of the pads and the height of the goalie, its so much easier to butterfly, and keep the body erect and almost no holes.

This is what the goalie silhouette looked like in 1972 vs today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6313x.JPG (27.9 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg index.jpg (12.9 KB, 147 views)
Old 7 December 2022, 09:28 AM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
All I can say is hockey shoot outs are so much more entertaining than football. A live hockey shootout at the arena in the playoffs…hard to beat. It’s a show.
Old 8 December 2022, 03:33 PM   #7
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:

In hockey generally the skater comes in on the goalie and his strategy is to get the goalie to make the first move, commit himself, and the skater reacts and scores. He achieves this by dekes or shifting his body or stick handling to get the goalie to bite.
So how did Gordon Bombay fail the triple deke?
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 02:31 AM   #8
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
So how did Gordon Bombay fail the triple deke?
I don't think I ever watched a Mighty Ducks movie so not sure on that one.

Interestingly due to Wayne Gretzky getting traded from Edmonton to LA and all the hoopla that brought, and how kids in Southern California all wanted to be Wayne Gretzky, hockey caught on in warmer climates in a big way.

The resurgence of interest in LA, then Anaheim, then San Jose and even in southern warmer climates.

https://contently.com/2015/03/19/the...rketing-stunt/
Old 9 December 2022, 02:34 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don't think I ever watched a Mighty Ducks movie so not sure on that one.

Interestingly due to Wayne Gretzky getting traded from Edmonton to LA and all the hoopla that brought, and how kids in Southern California all wanted to be Wayne Gretzky, hockey caught on in warmer climates in a big way.

The resurgence of interest in LA, then Anaheim, then San Jose and even in southern warmer climates.

https://contently.com/2015/03/19/the...rketing-stunt/
Yep love him or hate him, the NHL owes a lot to Wayne IMHO.
Old 10 December 2022, 03:39 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watching to see who kicks it down the middle