The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 December 2022, 08:41 AM   #1
HobokenRolex
2024 Pledge Member

SUV/car undercoating

Does anyone know about fluid film or other coatings? I’ve read a bit about it. Would be interested to know if others (especially in the Northeast) have positive or negative views of doing this. Thanks in advance.
HobokenRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 09:22 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I paid around 300 or so to do it on a Land Cruiser I bought once. I’m a fool and traded it a year later so never got to see the results. My understanding is you have to come back and reapply it every year or two. It came with a warranty. Toyotas are known for surface rust so if you have one of those might be worth a look.

If you don’t plan to keep the car like 10 years I’d forget about it. What’s your expected duration of ownership and what’s the make?
Old 7 December 2022, 12:05 PM   #3
HobokenRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks. Lexus GX 460 for me and Toyota Highlander for my wife. The Lexus is a 2017 that I plan on keeping for a long time. The Toyota is a 2010 that we’ve had since it was new. Kept in a high rise garage for the first 10 years and driven very sparingly. We’re now in the suburbs and drive a lot more often - work, kids to school/sports, etc. So both cars will see a fair amount of snow and road salt, if we get a decent amount of snow this winter.
HobokenRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 07:40 PM   #4
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
krown
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 05:14 AM   #5
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
I have applied FF on my 4Runner myself for the last few years and it has worked well. Lots of guys on the T4R.org forum use it in the NE with good results. There is a guy in Summit, NJ that lots of forum members use and recommend who is supposedly more reasonably priced than most but you would need to join and PM him if you are interested.
Old 8 December 2022, 08:21 AM   #6
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I know about it but don’t use it on an entire underbody. Metal battery trays/supports make sense. I do understand why it is appealing to thwart road salt corrosion by broad application. . But you must balance the ongoing cost and unintended risks.

FF is really sheep fat applied like a hot wax on the unibody underneath and in wheel wells. Also on engine bay crossmembers, transmission housings, diffs, shocks, springs, etc. It’ll stay put until you’re driving in spring slush with the salt/gravel mix laid down for nightly RE-freeze on bridges/overpasses. So some areas that are originally coated will degrade from the blasting gravel hitting metal.

That’s why another application in late Fall each year (if you want to get back to 100% coverage).

Your Mech tech could charge extra hours to remove it in areas where they need to do repairs. It gums up sockets and other tools. It’s a mess when solvents have to be applied and it runs everywhere.

The producer claims it halts existing rust but I don’t know that it could except for surface rust.

It’s an inhibitor but not a permanent rust converter. If you have an older car then have Gempler’s applied one day and the FF another day or two later.

Good much with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote