The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 June 2019, 02:12 PM   #31
T3F
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
You'll find a decent amount of fans here on this forum (myself included).

If you are asking more generally amongst the non-WIS population, I think it mainly comes down to two factors. They generally don't do themselves any favors by only producing 40mm sport models in very limited quantity (45mm FF and 43mm Bathyscaphs aren't for most people's wrists). Secondly, they are generally pretty terrible at marketing, be it through traditional means or through social media (Swatch do them a disservice in this respect). They make great products (like the annual calendar you mentioned), but nobody knows about it.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

If they made that black ceramic Bathyscaphe in 40-41mm, I would already own one. I’m thinking about the Barakuda LE, but I’m still slightly on the fence with it and am not overly inclined to put down $14k for one without seeing it first.

The prices are also quite high for watches that, to my eye, are very rugged. I know the movement quality justifies it, but I’d honestly prefer slightly worse finishing and a lower power reserve (would help with thickness also) if it brought the price down.

Lastly, the FF line needs good bracelets. The sailcloth straps look nice and are good options to have, but on a dive watch, a good bracelet is nearly a necessity for me (and I think many others).

It’s a really cool brand that makes some awesome watches, but they haven’t quite nailed the execution yet. I’ll definitely add one at some point, but I’m still not 100% in love with anything in the current lineup.
Old 27 June 2019, 09:32 PM   #32
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
I love the FF and was very close to pulling the trigger but went another way, this new one has me looking at the brand again!

That's an amazing watch.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 09:34 PM   #33
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Agree, 'kuda was a great looking release from BP (I would've kept my allocation if it had been a touch more different than my Milspec, but alas). Everything you said about their quality and finishing is spot on. As far as sport watches go, they are right up there with AP's RO in my opinion and above offerings from Rolex and PP (I honestly don't get the PP nautilus/aquanaut hype).
Agree with everything you said, and this is as a total Rolex fanatic.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 10:21 PM   #34
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Sign me up for a 42mm FF! My only issue as well.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 06:27 AM   #35
DGB
"TRF" Member

Of course we love this brand, there is life after Patek and Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 06:59 PM   #36
Marchy
"TRF" Member

If you have tried the FF on your wrist and still found it too large, then it indeed is too large for your taste. Then that's that. But I wonder how many had judged that the FF is too large before even trying them on, because I did. So for a long many years I dismissed the FF solely on the basis of its size no matter how much I liked the watch itself. I termed big watches as "clocks". So when I learned of the LE 40mm's I really tried to get one no matter that I've not seen it or tried it on my wrist, just based on the size alone I was willing to spend, well sort of "blindly". As fate would have it, I could not find one, until recently that I got to know of an available piece in Shanghai. Went straight to the AD and they did had an OC. I was taken aback at how it wore smaller than I liked and more so that I found the FF "perfect" instead. Truth is, it indeed is thick (which I actually like), but the 45mm bezel sits on a smaller case, small in fact that it could very well suit a 42mm bezel as it is. The bezel is wider (I guess designed on purpose) that it makes it very easy to rotate. I imagine the ease of setting it just before dropping down from the boat on a dive, with wet hands and all. And the bigger bezel makes it very easy to read on water. Side by side with 40mm's, it is much wider, but compared to other 42mm's, they are similar. Go and give them a try if you've not done so.
Marchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 03:15 PM   #37
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchy View Post
If you have tried the FF on your wrist and still found it too large, then it indeed is too large for your taste. Then that's that. But I wonder how many had judged that the FF is too large before even trying them on, because I did. So for a long many years I dismissed the FF solely on the basis of its size no matter how much I liked the watch itself. I termed big watches as "clocks". So when I learned of the LE 40mm's I really tried to get one no matter that I've not seen it or tried it on my wrist, just based on the size alone I was willing to spend, well sort of "blindly". As fate would have it, I could not find one, until recently that I got to know of an available piece in Shanghai. Went straight to the AD and they did had an OC. I was taken aback at how it wore smaller than I liked and more so that I found the FF "perfect" instead. Truth is, it indeed is thick (which I actually like), but the 45mm bezel sits on a smaller case, small in fact that it could very well suit a 42mm bezel as it is. The bezel is wider (I guess designed on purpose) that it makes it very easy to rotate. I imagine the ease of setting it just before dropping down from the boat on a dive, with wet hands and all. And the bigger bezel makes it very easy to read on water. Side by side with 40mm's, it is much wider, but compared to other 42mm's, they are similar. Go and give them a try if you've not done so.
Totally agree.
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 05:39 PM   #38
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Why no love for Blancpain?

Says who?

Incoming. My first blancpain. Leman Retour en vol and Rattrapante Chronograph

Am loving it

Last edited by Pongster; 18 October 2019 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Tapatalk inserted wrong picture (recently, this always happens; keeps on inserting a different picture than the one just taken)
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 06:15 PM   #39
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Love for Blancpain exist but the current line of FF very far from the original design of 1950s. People buy Submariner because that the main design of the watch hasmt changed too much since years. For the FF the case is big, bezel is shiny, lugs become thick, corked date wheel, clear case back etc. And for this price range there is SD4K available if people wants something luxury with a tool watch essence. Plus you are dont have any lost value problems. The Air Command is a good watch imho but commanding a high price.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 05:53 AM   #40
RidingDonkeys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskiserkan View Post
People buy Submariner because that the main design of the watch hasmt changed too much since years.
Maybe WIS think that way, but the average Sub buyer is buying for status because of marketing. While Rolex and Blancpain both have a place in almost any collection, you won't find many a Blancpain on the arm of a someone who just bought their first luxury watch.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 02:47 PM   #41
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Love mine...

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 03:32 PM   #42
Subterranean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1989 16610 Sub
Blancpain stop me in my tracks every time I see one...gorgeous pieces.
Subterranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 09:11 PM   #43
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Blancpain is more a connoisseurs brand. So i realy do not understand why they keep shooting in their own foot with their ridiculous (large) seizes for their none-LE sportmodels. Own a Bathy 43mm and the mil-spec. Hardly wear them. Quality wise they dont impress me as well. Beautifully made for sure for the large part but then they always mess up some details which totaly ruins the piece for me. How hard can it be to slap on a bezel without any give to the right or use a clasp that doesnt ruin the strap each time you take it off. I gave up on them.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 09:57 PM   #44
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post
Blancpain is more a connoisseurs brand. So i realy do not understand why they keep shooting in their own foot with their ridiculous (large) seizes for their none-LE sportmodels. Own a Bathy 43mm and the mil-spec. Hardly wear them. Quality wise they dont impress me as well. Beautifully made for sure for the large part but then they always mess up some details which totaly ruins the piece for me. How hard can it be to slap on a bezel without any give to the right or use a clasp that doesnt ruin the strap each time you take it off. I gave up on them.
Agree that their models need to be sized down, this is a key issue that ends up turning alot of potential customers away.

Regarding finishing and quality, they always impress me and far outclass most of their rivals (Rolex included).

Agree that the Milspec bezel action is not the best, but it's not a representation of the brand. The 45mm FF bezel is amazing. Also, when I got a chance to play around with the 40mm Kuda, the bezel was much improved. So, in my eyes, they heard critics and made the necessary improvements, which I love.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 11:17 PM   #45
Stellite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Big love for BP here. when you consider that the frderic piquet movements owned by Blancpain have also been used in Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin and Breguet, that should give you an idea as to where BP's playing field is. I always enjoyed the fact that my BP had a 105 hour reserve, when all the competitors of the time had half that reserve.
Stellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 12:09 PM   #46
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
I have always liked the brand and in the preowned market they represented an absolute bargain for the quality. I have owned two: both Blancpain perpetual calendar fly back chronographs with moon phase. On the steel bracelet. Where else can you get a grand complication watch in stainless steel on a steel bracelet?

Unfortunately they were only 38 mm watches and became considered too small. I had always hoped they would increase the size to 40, but alas, they did not.

Being on by Swatch is a mixed blessing. They are frequently treated as the red headed step child to Breguet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 11:48 AM   #47
cfree011
"TRF" Member

I love the brand. I have a rose gold fifty fathoms that I wear daily, and am thinking of purchasing a leman perpetual calendar chronograph.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
cfree011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 03:18 PM   #48
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
I love Blancpain. The quality is amazing and very strong, rugged, and reliable. I have three, in different case seizes, materials, and movements. Super comfortable on the wrist too, regardless of seize, be it 40mm or 45mm.20221026_113313.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 01:45 AM   #49
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Why no love for Blancpain?

Had this one and it was pretty fantastic. These are really a value on the secondary market.

Old 7 November 2022, 12:53 AM   #50
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
I've been looking for an annual calendar and I think Blancpain makes good pieces in that category. In general it's not a popular brand.. But quality is there. How come there's no love for this brand?
Simply because Swatch owns them.
A lot of people feel it's a lesser watch because it's part of a large conglomerate, one that also sells low end watches.

On the other hand, being part of the conglomerate, I think Blancpain, Breguet and JDroz get a blank check to do whatever they want.

Last edited by MILGAUSS88; 7 November 2022 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: .
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 02:08 AM   #51
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Lack of dealers and not making anything I want at the moment
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 02:36 AM   #52
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
They seriously need to make a “reissue” of the 3H Bund. I can’t imagine why they haven’t yet…

https://www.craftandtailored.com/pro...litary-3h-bund

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 09:18 AM   #53
ajw45
"TRF" Member

All things considered, I prefer the under the radar attitude of Swatch towards brands like Breguet, Blancpain, and GO that continue to make great watches with consistent quality at fairish prices vs. Richemont who screws their ADs (Lange) and customers (orange VC straps) and raises prices while cost cutting (Panerai).
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 09:29 AM   #54
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Blancpain gets no love because Swatchgroup has no love for it.

The salty answer is that Marc Hayek loves windsurfing more than loves his father's legacy.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 12:15 PM   #55
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Amazing watches but their main focus these days seems to be on ESG.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 02:00 PM   #56
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

They don’t want to be loved!!! Seriously, for the longest time I’ve been chasing a “normal” size Fifty Fathom. 38 is too small and 43+ mm is too big. I’m sure I’m not the only one asking for it. Visited about a dozen AD and expressed my desire. The limited edition models are wry hard to get.
But nobody is listening in Le Brassus. Hence sticking with Rolex

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 02:22 PM   #57
cfree011
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrs63 View Post
They don’t want to be loved!!! Seriously, for the longest time I’ve been chasing a “normal” size Fifty Fathom. 38 is too small and 43+ mm is too big. I’m sure I’m not the only one asking for it. Visited about a dozen AD and expressed my desire. The limited edition models are wry hard to get.
But nobody is listening in Le Brassus. Hence sticking with Rolex

Although the regular 45mm fifty fathoms wear more like a 43mm sea dweller, I will agree with you that the size needs to come down a bit. Maybe 42mm would be the sweet spot for size

Old 7 November 2022, 02:24 PM   #58
cfree011
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Blancpain gets no love because Swatchgroup has no love for it.

The salty answer is that Marc Hayek loves windsurfing more than loves his father's legacy.
Honestly, if they would increase their marketing budget by 2-3 million that would have a tremendous impact on brand awareness.

Also they should really step up their social media as well.

Old 27 November 2022, 01:51 AM   #59
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Old thread but there’s plenty of love out there, it’s just not an in your face love, the buyers know what they have and why they live it, they don’t seem to need to shout about it like the Rolex guys do. Owner of an FF and soon to be the owner of a Bathyscape titanium moon phase, so stoked for that, May well be my grail.
Noxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 08:00 AM   #60
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

I have two, and absolutely satisfied, as well as interested and aware of the quality and history of the brand.
But we are on a Rolex forum, that's one thing.

And the second is it's a much lower volume of production and therefore more sparse.
I don't think it's not love as you say, it's just less common...

Rather for connoisseurs and enthusiasts with that, so much the better!

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote