The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 October 2022, 12:46 PM   #31
Greglaw
Banned

I agree that no way is that a reflection. There is nothing to suggest that it is. There would be red reflecting off of other areas.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2022, 04:00 PM   #32
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumare View Post
The list for GMT and Sub was to long of a wait so he got a DD instead
The plot thickens…
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2022, 05:19 PM   #33
Greglaw
Banned

How about a less fuzzy and clear up close picture of the actual document?
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 10:52 AM   #34
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

They would have used film cameras with filters in those days so perhaps it was an effect of the lens filter?
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 08:05 PM   #35
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

That's full planetary alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
I saw a really, really, really rare example on chrono24 back when these we a thing, blueberry, radial, all red, Tiffany dial… kind of like a pizza with extra everything

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 11:30 PM   #36
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
I'll take a clearer pic this evening of the article. I definitely looks to me to be a red hand and not reflection. Difficult though as its an old printed document the quality isn't amazing.
Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 06:41 PM   #37
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
It is very difficult to tell but the folk who suggested reflection could be right. Still pretty inconclusive!

Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 06:44 PM   #38
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Thanks looks like reflection to me esp given the end of tip shape and the less red effect around the silver of the tritium blob on second hand .
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 08:57 PM   #39
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
… and the less red effect around the silver of the tritium blob on second hand .
Bingo.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 11:56 PM   #40
marty497
"TRF" Member

Both watches are set at 10:10:32, the standard time watches appear at in adverts. Both appear to have the crowns screwed down also so they can't be stopped by hacking which makes me think they could be dummy watches for the photoshoot.
marty497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2022, 08:56 AM   #41
Filipăo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Reflection, no doubt imho.
Filipăo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2022, 10:47 AM   #42
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipăo View Post
Reflection, no doubt imho.
Don't you love those reflections that have a mind of their own. It just picks and chooses where it wants to reflect. Gotta love it. Sure would be nice to know the back story on this pamphlet. There are obviously two schools of thought in this thread which beg the questions.....Why would Rolex put out a brochure with a red hand Submariner (unless it was a prototype) or why would Rolex put out a brochure that looks like it has a red hand Submariner with red light reflections distorting the photos to fool morons like me into believing it is not a reflection. If it is a reflection, that is some real sorry photography to advertise a new style watch.

I'm with Flip on the "no doubt" what is going on in the photo. And, with that said, let's move on and have a little fun.

What is going on in the photo posted below? A prize awaits the one with the correct answer - the one that finds the secret red hand first could win a prize. All right now. Let the games begin - are they real or are they reflections - come on, don't be shy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SECRET IMAGE.SMALL.jpg (67.0 KB, 296 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2022, 12:07 PM   #43
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Three different hands all picking up different effects from the light, direct or reflected. Bezel insert, too. Seems pretty clear to me. But I wouldn't mock anyone who disagrees.
Old 15 October 2022, 12:30 PM   #44
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

80's Advertising Pamphlet showing Rolex Submariner with Red Seconds Hand?

My suspicion is circled below in red. Looks China made

The blue arrow is my guess to your query.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2022, 12:56 PM   #45
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
My guess is they are real, and the out of place hand is top right corner.

tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2022, 12:57 PM   #46
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

80's Advertising Pamphlet showing Rolex Submariner with Red Seconds Hand?

I’ll stick with my first guess, red hands are painted and not reflections.
Old 16 October 2022, 05:03 AM   #47
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Did JP just call himself a moron??
Old 16 October 2022, 11:41 AM   #48
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
Did JP just call himself a moron??
Absolutely. Now go find that secret red hand and win the grand prize!!! The hunt ends at noon tomorrow.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 16 October 2022, 12:14 PM   #49
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

has anyone got a better quality pic of this advert?

might actually help with this thread...
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 02:11 AM   #50
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
has anyone got a better quality pic of this advert?

might actually help with this thread...
any high quality images the mysterious Red Handed Sub are going to be as hard to come by as high quality images of The Loch Ness Monster
Old 17 October 2022, 02:16 AM   #51
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty497 View Post
Both watches are set at 10:10:32, the standard time watches appear at in adverts. Both appear to have the crowns screwed down also so they can't be stopped by hacking which makes me think they could be dummy watches for the photoshoot.
Indeed - I don't think your well observed comment has had its 'propers....mucho-intrigueo!
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 12:34 PM   #52
springer
2024 Pledge Member

For those that read my posts in this thread, you'll remember that I didn't believe the red hand found on the 16800 advertising brochure was a reflection - let alone this hand being the only hand on this dial that turned red from a reflection. Additionally, I have a hard time believing that Rolex printed an advertising brochure with a photo that was very deceptive depicting a red hand on a Submariner.

As the past few weeks came and went, this thread seemed to have lost steam, at least for me, until today. Yesterday my wife changed out some towels in the privy with one of them being red in color. I decided to conduct a little experiment regarding a post I made earlier in this thread - wondering why all the hands on this 16800 Submariner weren't red, or why wasn't more of the red color captured on the dial if in fact this was just a mere reflection.

Today, I went into the bathroom and took a couple photos of my GMT 16750 and my 1972 Seiko DX close to the red towel in different positions. As you'll notice in the photos below, where the towel is reflecting on the dial, all the hands are red and just not the seconds hand like found in the advertising brochure. My conclusion, as well as that of a few others who posted in this thread is - the red Submariner hand was not the result of a reflection - at least based on my experiment. Your opinions my vary based on your own experiments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16750.red hand.sm.jpg (151.4 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg seiko.red.sm.jpg (135.3 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg seiko.sm.jpg (126.7 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg gmt.16750.sm.jpg (139.9 KB, 200 views)

Old 7 November 2022, 12:44 PM   #53
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
For those that read my posts in this thread, you'll remember that I didn't believe the red hand found on the 16800 advertising brochure was a reflection - let alone this hand being the only hand on this dial that turned red from a reflection. Additionally, I have a hard time believing that Rolex printed an advertising brochure with a photo that was very deceptive depicting a red hand on a Submariner.
So if I understand you correctly, JP, you're saying that your watches have red hands.
Old 7 November 2022, 12:46 PM   #54
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
So if I understand you correctly, JP, you're saying that your watches have red hands.
I rest my case your honor... unless there is evidence presented to the contrary!!!

Old 7 November 2022, 05:19 PM   #55
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Interesting to see the emergence of these, until now, undiscovered and undocumented exotic second hands. Jacek over at Tropical Watch has an amazing yellow handed DRSD for sale. What makes this piece so special is the second hand actually changes color to black when viewed from a different angle!!!

Old 8 November 2022, 07:43 AM   #56
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

As the past few weeks came and went, this thread seemed to have lost steam, at least for me, until today. Yesterday my wife changed out some towels in the privy with one of them being red in color. I decided to conduct a little experiment regarding a post I made earlier in this thread - wondering why all the hands on this 16800 Submariner weren't red, or why wasn't more of the red color captured on the dial if in fact this was just a mere reflection.

Today, I went into the bathroom and took a couple photos of my GMT 16750 and my 1972 Seiko DX close to the red towel in different positions. As you'll notice in the photos below, where the towel is reflecting on the dial, all the hands are red and just not the seconds hand like found in the advertising brochure. My conclusion, as well as that of a few others who posted in this thread is - the red Submariner hand was not the result of a reflection - at least based on my experiment. Your opinions my vary based on your own experiments.
Maybe I didn't understand your explanation, but the last picture of the Seiko doesn't proof that it was a reflection?
I mean in this pic only half of the hour hand looks red (and part of the top case) everything else looks white/silver... or I'm wrong?

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 4.31.16 PM 2.jpg

This is fun, thank you for bring it up again
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2022, 08:50 AM   #57
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Try reading my post again. I think you missed my point. Reflections normally occur for more than one single hand. The Seiko photo you referenced was to point out and show the silver colored hands and other silver accents on the dial. The other Seiko photo and the 16750 photo depicts a reflection on the dial where the red coloring from the towel affects more than one hand.

My point of this post was that the red hand on the Submariner was not a reflection. That's it for me.

Old 8 November 2022, 11:40 PM   #58
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Could you not see Rolex editing the photo prior to print for some sort of visual effect? Does it make the watch stand out?

Old 24 November 2022, 05:49 AM   #59
1675-David
"TRF" Member

In a strange twist of fate I spotted this old advert offered for sale on a local auction site and immediately recognized it as the controversial image that started this thread. After a tough bidding war (was that you Springer?) I snagged it and it arrived today in the post.

after close inspection and hi-res scanning I have 3 key take aways...

1. The hand in "my" add looks more golden than red. Conclusion: Rolex, for reasons only known to themselves changed the red hand for a gold hand (or vice versa) before retaking the image.
2. The minute hand is still inconceivably thick. Question: why would Rolex do this?
3. The hour hand seams to be missing a chunk. Question again: Is it possible that this is the result some kind of rodent infestation back in the day that Rolex never went public with

We will probably never know the answers to these questions but that's what makes this hobby so exciting
Old 24 November 2022, 06:04 AM   #60
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Love the analysis!
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote