The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 November 2022, 11:05 AM   #31
njsteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhuatai View Post
1,400 seems reasonable for the service from Rolex. The bracelet pricing is accurate as well.
FYI, the service estimate I have on my watch from 2010 priced the bracelet at $390
njsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2022, 11:08 AM   #32
njsteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
So they are already luminova replacement hands? Bright white compared to the yellow lume on the dial? If so, no harm in replacing them again.
Interesting observation. I totally forgot to ask the jeweler if the estimate referenced any prior service!

My 2010 service paperwork references my 2001 service on the background information page.
Old 18 November 2022, 12:34 PM   #33
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barada7 View Post
They look better with some mileage!
Agreed.
Old 18 November 2022, 12:43 PM   #34
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
FYI, the service estimate I have on my watch from 2010 priced the bracelet at $390
Yes, the prices have risen substantially since then.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2022, 04:12 AM   #35
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
Steve, the T<25 was used between 1960 and 1998, and indicates the lume is tritium and emits less than 925 MBq (25 mCi), but it's not quite that simple:
What does Swiss T<25 mean?

The hands look fine to me.
Interesting link.

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2022, 04:16 AM   #36
jatco

Quote:
Yes, I do agree. I've been wearing mine for more than half my life.
We both show our mileage well.
...kinda..!!

Old 19 November 2022, 04:16 AM   #37
jatco

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipćo View Post
it doesn't get any better, does it?

Congrats and best wishes to a long lasting and happy family!

x2

Old 19 November 2022, 07:01 AM   #38
njsteve
"TRF" Member

Latest update: service ordered. $1,520 plus tax.

I have to pay an extra $42 to get my original hands back since they are allegedly on a "trade-in credit basis". They did say they would return my old bracelet if I wanted to purchase a new Oyster bracelet for the watch. I decided to stick with Dad's original bracelet.

Rolex also confirmed that they have no record of this serial number watch ever having been serviced before. So as far as they can determine those are the original hands and dial. And it has been running non-stop for 35 years without a glitch.

I asked the jeweler to ask them to verify if anyone has been inside the watch before for example, by leaving a mark or initials inside the case as some watchmakers do when servicing a watch. Awaiting that response.
Old 19 November 2022, 08:08 AM   #39
southtexas

I would NOT replace those hands. The new glowing hands will look totally out of place against that old dial. Or, if the ship has already sailed, then just swap them back out when you get the watch and old hands back. Sell the new hands or keep them for a rainy day.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2022, 08:25 AM   #40
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
i would not replace those hands. The new glowing hands will look totally out of place against that old dial.
+1
Old 19 November 2022, 08:54 AM   #41
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Great story and fabulous pair of watches
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2022, 10:22 AM   #42
njsteve
"TRF" Member

I think the service center is pushing the hand replacement based on the age of the tritium and I logically assume the fact that they are a press fit and may not grip as firmly if reinstalled.

They recommended the same hand replacement on the 2001 service on my GMT (They returned those hands and bezel to me, with the watch back in 2001). And when my watch was serviced again in 2010, they replaced them once more but kept the 2001 replacement hands. Today the jeweler specifically asked Rolex if the new hands were EXACTLY the same as the originals that are coming off and they said yes. Comparing the replacements on my GMT to the ones they returned to me twenty years ago corroborates that. I guess we will see in a couple months when it comes back. I'm rather picky so if it looks like they were not accurately describing them and it is actually a new/revised version of the hands (other than the fact they actually glow), I will send it back and tell them to reinstall the originals.

On my watch the 2010 replacement hands still glow if "recharged" with a bright light, while the dial tritium is no longer doing anything in the dark.

Oh, and I had requested them to email us photos of the movement so I can have that for insurance purposes to verify the authenticity of the watch, they said absolutely not. They said that their proprietary photos can't be released.
Old 19 November 2022, 11:26 AM   #43
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think the service center is pushing the hand replacement based on the age of the tritium and I logically assume the fact that they are a press fit and may not grip as firmly if reinstalled.

They recommended the same hand replacement on the 2001 service on my GMT (They returned those hands and bezel to me, with the watch back in 2001). And when my watch was serviced again in 2010, they replaced them once more but kept the 2001 replacement hands. Today the jeweler specifically asked Rolex if the new hands were EXACTLY the same as the originals that are coming off and they said yes. Comparing the replacements on my GMT to the ones they returned to me twenty years ago corroborates that. I guess we will see in a couple months when it comes back. I'm rather picky so if it looks like they were not accurately describing them and it is actually a new/revised version of the hands (other than the fact they actually glow), I will send it back and tell them to reinstall the originals.

On my watch the 2010 replacement hands still glow if "recharged" with a bright light, while the dial tritium is no longer doing anything in the dark.

Oh, and I had requested them to email us photos of the movement so I can have that for insurance purposes to verify the authenticity of the watch, they said absolutely not. They said that their proprietary photos can't be released.
They may be similar, but the originals have aged tritium, and the replacements will have luminova or chromalight or whatever. Totally different lume, different color and look. The mismatch would bother me, but maybe I'm just picky since it doesn't seem to bother you on your watch, and that mismatch is dramatic to me. IMO you will never get accurate answers playing "telephone" through a jeweler.

And the idea that you will send them back and have them install the originals is a fantasy. Rolex won't do that. But if you get the originals back, an independent watchmaker can do it.

Old 19 November 2022, 12:01 PM   #44
njsteve
"TRF" Member

What is your opinion about the hands on my father's watch? They appear to be a similarly different shade than the hour markings, just like on my watch. (ignore the small dot on the hour hand orb. That is a flaw in the crystal that doesnt appear on other photos at a different time). Sorry the photos arent that good as the crystal is so scratched up, it is giving a smeared effect to the hands in a couple places.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4616a2.JPG (261.4 KB, 245 views)
Old 19 November 2022, 12:09 PM   #45
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
What is your opinion about the hands on my father's watch? They appear to be a similarly different shade than the hour markings, just like on my watch.
The lighting isn't good enough to say. Different dial lume plots have very different colors in that photo, and dial and hands don't always age the same. However, the color difference does raise the question, and if I had the watch in hand I would inspect it under a loupe and UV light.

But luminova has a distinctive look in a good photo, as you can see on your watch. It's not just the color but the texture. Something that you come to recognize. Looking at the photo of your watch, I would immediately suspect that the dial is tritium and the hands are later service replacements.
Old 19 November 2022, 12:19 PM   #46
njsteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
They may be similar, but the originals have aged tritium, and the replacements will have luminova or chromalight or whatever. Totally different lume, different color and look. The mismatch would bother me, but maybe I'm just picky since it doesn't seem to bother you on your watch, and that mismatch is dramatic to me. IMO you will never get accurate answers playing "telephone" through a jeweler.

And the idea that you will send them back and have them install the originals is a fantasy. Rolex won't do that. But if you get the originals back, an independent watchmaker can do it.

This is another view of my watch, the one you marked in your examples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4700aa.JPG (260.0 KB, 247 views)
Old 19 November 2022, 12:36 PM   #47
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at, to be honest. I've already said that photos can be deceptive. But we know that your hands are service replacements, and they very much look that way in the photos.

As for your father's watch, the best way to be sure would be to have a knowledgeable person inspect it in person. If I had the watches, a loupe, and a UV lamp, I could tell you with absolute certainty in 30 seconds.

Personally, I would not go by the jeweler's opinion or his secondhand report of what he claims the RSC is saying. You can of course do whatever you want.
Old 19 November 2022, 12:41 PM   #48
njsteve
"TRF" Member

I appreciate all the input and opinions about the watch(es). Just trying to gather as much info as possible. Given my Dad's age (90) and memory issues, he may very well have gotten his watched serviced by a local jeweler (and hands replaced) decades ago and not remembered it.
Old 19 November 2022, 02:12 PM   #49
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
If they're luminova, shine a flashlight or your phone light on the hands. Turn the lights off/go into a dark room. If they glow brightly, they aren't the original hands.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2022, 02:50 PM   #50
Nova1
"TRF" Member

Just replace the hands, go and enjoy your life with a beautifully serviced heirloom piece brought up to spec by the company itself, and never come back here again. Your life will be better for it.
Nova1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2022, 11:25 PM   #51
njsteve
"TRF" Member

LOL Thanks.
Old 23 November 2022, 07:24 AM   #52
njsteve
"TRF" Member

Thanks! I'm still wearing mine: 35-1/2 years nonstop including wearing it in "government service" for 24 of those years.

It's been to a lot of interesting places and brought me back every time. ;-)

Here's a shot from last week in front of my similarly-colored, 30 year-old Dodge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4700a.JPG (263.7 KB, 212 views)
Old 23 November 2022, 12:09 PM   #53
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Great story!
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 01:14 PM   #54
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Good on ya, OP! Great story. Great memories.

Just another WIS who loves to trade.
IG @bladeandwatch1
Old 24 November 2022, 12:40 AM   #55
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Great story. Thanks for sharing. The dad’s watch looks like it might have the original hands, and if so, I’d refuse the RSC service and take it to a good independent. But as Dan says, if they’ve already been replaced, it doesn’t matter.

Interesting to see the differences in the watches, and the case polishing that the son’s watch must have had when it was serviced. Big difference in the crown guards between the two.

Also, OP, good news you still have the original hands for your watch. I’d have those re-installed. I’d also highly recommend not having your dad’s watch polished during the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova1 View Post
Just replace the hands, go and enjoy your life with a beautifully serviced heirloom piece brought up to spec by the company itself, and never come back here again. Your life will be better for it.
Really? And why is that?
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 04:07 AM   #56
njsteve
"TRF" Member

After a little bit of thought, I stopped by the jeweler that is handling the Rolex refurb and told him to revise the order to re-use the original hands and NOT replace them. He said no problem and that he will call it in on Monday and get me a confirmation. He knows the importance of maintaining the family heirloom status of the watch with its original components intact. I don't have a problem with a gentle polishing of the case and the new crystal. I see that as proper maintenance and upkeep.
Old 24 November 2022, 04:13 AM   #57
jatco

Quote:
Thanks! I'm still wearing mine: 35-1/2 years nonstop including wearing it in "government service" for 24 of those years.

It's been to a lot of interesting places and brought me back every time. ;-)

Here's a shot from last week in front of my similarly-colored, 30 year-old Dodge.
both for the watch and the Dodge...

Old 24 November 2022, 04:14 AM   #58
njsteve
"TRF" Member

BTW, here's the original hands and bezel from my watch. It looks like they bent the second hand a little during removable back in 2001. And the reason the tritium hands are glowing is that I had a strong LED flashlight pointed at them during the photo because I kept causing a shadow with my phone over the top of them. Once I turned off the flashlight and turned out the room lights to check, there was no residual phosphorescence at all, coming off them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hands.JPG (236.6 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg bezel.JPG (193.6 KB, 183 views)
Old 30 November 2022, 05:28 AM   #59
njsteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
After a little bit of thought, I stopped by the jeweler that is handling the Rolex refurb and told him to revise the order to re-use the original hands and NOT replace them. He said no problem and that he will call it in on Monday and get me a confirmation. He knows the importance of maintaining the family heirloom status of the watch with its original components intact. I don't have a problem with a gentle polishing of the case and the new crystal. I see that as proper maintenance and upkeep.
Well, the Rolex service center answered back yesterday concerning my requests to keep the original watch in its original vintage state other than servicing the movement.

They refused my request to reuse the original 1987 hands and that they require that the hands be replaced. They also would not give me back my original hands if they do the service, as it is part of their service procedure.

I told them I am refusing all work and to immediately return the watch, untouched.

I will therefore find an alternative service professional who actually cares about the keeping an original 35-year old GMT in it's original state of finish. Feel free to pass on recomendations via a response or a PM.
Old 30 November 2022, 05:47 AM   #60
jatco

Quote:
Well, the Rolex service center answered back yesterday concerning my requests to keep the original watch in its original vintage state other than servicing the movement.

They refused my request to reuse the original 1987 hands and that they require that the hands be replaced. They also would not give me back my original hands if they do the service, as it is part of their service procedure.

I told them I am refusing all work and to immediately return the watch, untouched.

I will therefore find an alternative service professional who actually cares about the keeping an original 35-year old GMT in it's original state of finish. Feel free to pass on recomendations via a response or a PM.
Good for you... (typical...). I know there are many out there that can make recommendations.. Don't know about locally, but the 1st name that comes to mind is Bob Ridley ...
Good on you for trying to keep it original. There are others that can do what you want superbly.... My $.02 ..
Good luck...It will turn out great.