The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 November 2022, 11:53 AM   #1
www777
"TRF" Member

Vacheron

Thoughts?
www777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 12:31 PM   #2
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

My favorite brand by far. Obviously the oldest continuously operating Swiss watchmaker in the world, which gives them the historical chops. But above all else, they reign supreme in terms of design. Vacheron has pioneered case shape and lug design better than pretty much any other brand, with the only competitor being Cartier. You don't even have to love all their designs, but you can't say they haven't been more innovative than Patek, AP, Rolex, Lange, etc. And while Cartier may be a competitor in terms of design chops over the last 100+ years, Vacheron puts Cartier to dust in terms of its movements and technical innovation, so theres that.

Vacheron doesn't get as much love as Patek, AP, and Rolex, but who cares? Some of that criticism is because of Richemont ownership, which doesn't make sense because you have to judge the finished product. Nobody complains that Volkswaggen owns lamboghini. Plus, being part of Richemont has allowed VC to gain some of the innovations that other brands have used, such as the easy strap change system.

Some of the lack of hype comes from the fact that Vacheron tends to be more artsy as alluded to above, so the appeal to rappers and other cultural tastemakers who drive hype (that in turn drives resale value) isn't there. Also, there watches tend to be a little bit smaller than modern AP or Patek, especially their vintage references - the recent shift to larger watches certainly didn't drive any vacheron hype - but perhaps the shifting back towards smaller watches might. Plus theres just great value to be had on vintage previous vacherons. As a buyer of Vacheron, this is great because you don’t have to pay inflated prices. Real watch connosuiers know what Vacheron stands for, its prestige, and would never scoff at ownership.

Heck, look at AP. So much of their everything is the royal oak. They just tinker with the materials, configurations, etc. But look at how many offerings Vacheron has. Vacheron also has perfected the homage to past models with its Historiques line. Name another brand that has so successfully page homage to the past without doing it in such a tacky way, such as Omega with faux patina? The Historiques collection stands alone among the major watchmakers in that regard.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 12:57 PM   #3
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I may get one one day ;)
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 01:12 PM   #4
Llamathurst
"TRF" Member

I like mine. Had a silver dual time as well. Liked that one too.

They just fit exceptionally well and have a subtlety that other brands don't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20221007_113155.jpeg (236.7 KB, 754 views)
Llamathurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 01:26 PM   #5
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
I may get one one day ;)
surely you jest!
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 06:48 PM   #6
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Vacheron

Amazing pieces and worth taking a look at a brand that still pushes the boundaries of watch design. Voted with my feet and recently picked up my first VC.

A beautiful piece from the early 2000’s. Malte 47112 perpetual calendar chronograph in platinum and at a perfect 39mm with a hunter case back. The moon phase is a hand engraved solid gold disc featuring a beautiful rendition of the moon and stars. Stunning Lemania lateral clutch movement as used by Patek in the 3970 and 5970.
Sent it straight to VC for its first service so patiently waiting for it to arrive back and get some wrist time. (For anyone considering a similar purchase, complete factory service of a perpetual chronograph including a ‘light touch’ polish is £2k)
One of the few bargains still to be found in the watch market and at not much more than a used SS Daytona was trading at a few months back.

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 07:42 PM   #7
djtheot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
My favorite brand by far. Obviously the oldest continuously operating Swiss watchmaker in the world, which gives them the historical chops. But above all else, they reign supreme in terms of design. Vacheron has pioneered case shape and lug design better than pretty much any other brand, with the only competitor being Cartier. You don't even have to love all their designs, but you can't say they haven't been more innovative than Patek, AP, Rolex, Lange, etc. And while Cartier may be a competitor in terms of design chops over the last 100+ years, Vacheron puts Cartier to dust in terms of its movements and technical innovation, so theres that.

Vacheron doesn't get as much love as Patek, AP, and Rolex, but who cares? Some of that criticism is because of Richemont ownership, which doesn't make sense because you have to judge the finished product. Nobody complains that Volkswaggen owns lamboghini. Plus, being part of Richemont has allowed VC to gain some of the innovations that other brands have used, such as the easy strap change system.

Some of the lack of hype comes from the fact that Vacheron tends to be more artsy as alluded to above, so the appeal to rappers and other cultural tastemakers who drive hype (that in turn drives resale value) isn't there. Also, there watches tend to be a little bit smaller than modern AP or Patek, especially their vintage references - the recent shift to larger watches certainly didn't drive any vacheron hype - but perhaps the shifting back towards smaller watches might. Plus theres just great value to be had on vintage previous vacherons. As a buyer of Vacheron, this is great because you don’t have to pay inflated prices. Real watch connosuiers know what Vacheron stands for, its prestige, and would never scoff at ownership.

Heck, look at AP. So much of their everything is the royal oak. They just tinker with the materials, configurations, etc. But look at how many offerings Vacheron has. Vacheron also has perfected the homage to past models with its Historiques line. Name another brand that has so successfully page homage to the past without doing it in such a tacky way, such as Omega with faux patina? The Historiques collection stands alone among the major watchmakers in that regard.
What a brilliant couple of paragraphs on VC, could not agree more
djtheot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 10:42 PM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by www777 View Post
Thoughts?
Yes
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 11:32 PM   #9
www777
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Great summary. Thanks
www777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 11:33 PM   #10
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtheot View Post
What a brilliant couple of paragraphs on VC, could not agree more
Old 21 November 2022, 11:57 PM   #11
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Excellent and completely agree.

Now hush before the hype and non-watch people show up!

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 22 November 2022, 12:14 AM   #12
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

btw if anyone is looking for a good deal on a VC and has a big wrist, Crown and Caliber has the ultra thin patrimony in rose gold, mint condition with papers, for 11K right now with their promotion. And this isnt one of those situations where they raised the price before putting it on sale to make you think you're getting a deal lol
Old 22 November 2022, 04:36 AM   #13
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Vacheron

I, too, recently added a VC that has been one of my most significant incomings in my collection journey.

This is the Vacheron Constantin 6000T/000P-B347 from the Excellence Platine collection. It’s a LE of 25 pieces - one of not many.

Vacheron quietly succeeds. It’s refreshing and a nice change of pace from all the hype the watch world has endured over the past several years.

Old 22 November 2022, 04:55 AM   #14
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I love the excellence platine collection...I have a couple...did you get that one new or second hand it's a beauty!
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 05:00 AM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

That platine is beautiful
Old 22 November 2022, 08:36 AM   #16
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Yes
This.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 09:15 AM   #17
noobs
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I, too, recently added a VC that has been one of my most significant incomings in my collection journey.

This is the Vacheron Constantin 6000T/000P-B347 from the Excellence Platine collection. It’s a LE of 25 pieces - one of not many.

Vacheron quietly succeeds. It’s refreshing and a nice change of pace from all the hype the watch world has endured over the past several years.
that's one beautiful piece right there! Tried a 56 tourbillon last week, definitely didn't get the same vide.
noobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 10:32 AM   #18
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post

Truly top class. Amazing watch.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 10:51 AM   #19
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Other than those points mentioned above, the finishing on Vacheron's movement is top-notch. Obviously not all their watches are finished to the same degree due to the annual 20-25k production volume. However, other than the highest complications, they also hand-finish certain entry models and steel watches which I thought is very impressive. Here are some pics:

Malte Tourbillon (the hand-finishing here is gloriously breathtaking)
Malte.jpg

American 1921 (@SJX)
1921.jpg

SS Cornes de Vache (@SJX)
CdV.jpg
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 11:20 AM   #20
brandon13
"TRF" Member

Top grade watchmaking from a top grade house. Vacheron’s finish quality and movements are a thing of beauty, second to none. I am a huge fan of brand. I own various Rolex and Patek, and always wondered why VC has flown under the radar when compared to other two in the holy trinity. I for one am not complaining…I just landed this beauty after just a couple months wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 11:50 AM   #21
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

VC finishing is top notch, but my photo skill is not so good...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-2gkfKRealsQVQo.jpg (246.5 KB, 610 views)
Old 22 November 2022, 12:18 PM   #22
calebb90
Banned

Fantastic watches but the hype train has hit and and boutiques are playing games like the rest.
calebb90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 07:27 PM   #23
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
God tier.

The more you delve into the brand, the greater the discovery. And not much else can compare.

My ultimate grail watch is a Vacheron Constantin, but it doesn’t exist yet.

It will be a Les Cabinotiers. I have started to plan it in my mind. It will have a blue sapphire set bezel and matte blue dial. It will have a tourbillon that is only visible from the caseback, as this watch will be for me. Other complications to be decided.

There will not be enough superlatives…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 09:36 PM   #24
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebb90 View Post
Fantastic watches but the hype train has hit and and boutiques are playing games like the rest.
That was not my experience at all
Old 22 November 2022, 10:35 PM   #25
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Love my 47101…black dial, yg case
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 10:53 PM   #26
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Agree with all the positive comments regarding VC, but no one has mentioned that “Vacheron Constantin” is also just a fantastic name. When I see it, I like it. Also appreciate that it’s not an in-your-face brand.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 02:27 AM   #27
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
I’m a huge fan of Vacheron Constantin. Their watches are magnificent. The quality and finish are on another level. Currently, I have two Overseas but definitely looking to add another dressy piece to the collection soon. I love the 1921 driver watch. Such a unique design. Just class!
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 02:32 AM   #28
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I'm not a big fan of their Overseas and Patrimony collection but the CdV and 1921 are fantastic looking. Unfortunately, the brand is out of my price range.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 04:48 AM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Beautiful in every way. Bravo to the lucky owners
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 05:37 AM   #30
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post