The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 December 2022, 03:48 AM   #1
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Air-King
JLC Geophysic 1958

Gents,

I've flirted with the JLC Geophysic 1958 for years and I think I'm going to go for one. There is nothing quite like them in their current lineup. The Master Control line is close, but they feel a little too large and thin. I like that the Geophysic 1958 is more of a casual sports watch with better proportions. I also love the crosshair dial and no date!

Can anyone with this model post some pictures and thoughts on this model please? Anything I should keep in mind with an 8 year old watch? Does JLC make a brown leather strap that would work with this?

Thanks so much!
MJ EXPLORER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2022, 06:39 PM   #2
GreenRust
"TRF" Member

Sorry, I'm not an owner, but I just wanted to drop by and say...heck yeah, great choice. I love the geophysic 1958 for the same reasons...casual in a classic way. Love everything about it, dimensions, movement, dial, hands. It's one of my favourite JLCs.

If I got one, I would price a service into the upfront price, unless the seller had it serviced recently. Maybe it wouldn't 'need' it, but in my experience, preventative maintenance is always better with watches. Peace of mind as well.

Regarding the brown strap. I always thought if I got one a Casa Fagliano brown strap would look amazing on it and complement the casual classic vibe.

Good luck on your hunt, it's an amazing watch
GreenRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2022, 05:27 AM   #3
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks so much for the excellent feedback! I love all the attributes you've listed. It's surprising that JLC hasn't added something like this to their current catalog. Watches tend to be dressy or sporty, but very few offer a true hybrid "casual sports watch."

I hadn't considered the servicing, but seeing as these are 8 year old watches they will certainly need a servicing if they've yet to have one. Great call on the Casa Fagliano brown strap as well.

Thanks again for the thoughtful suggestions!
Old 6 December 2022, 11:50 PM   #4
ftgepa
"TRF" Member

I had one and sold it a couple years back. I liked it but got a bit bored with it. Still, super versatile especially if you swap out the black gator OEM strap for something lighter.
ftgepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 09:21 AM   #5
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona

Long time owner here of a Geophysic 1958 and I will tell you it is an AMAZING watch. In fact, I very seldom wear anything else. And that says a lot considering I also own pieces from the likes of Rolex, Omega, Cartier, Patek, ALS, and AP. Not meant as a brag… it’s just that perfect of a watch.

It literally checks all the boxes for me. It’s beautiful, robust, WR to 100m, a strap monster (although the 19mm lug width makes it a little challenging), super accurate, and right at home in almost every situation. Plus, in today’s environment having a haute horology piece that draws no unnecessary attention is a huge plus.

Related to service costs/experience, I can’t say enough about the JLC experience. Mine just came back from the ‘spa’ a couple weeks ago and was very pleased with the experience. Took only 5 weeks and cost $690. Which I didn’t think was out of line.

If you are drawn to this piece I think you would not be disappointed! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2022, 02:42 PM   #6
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post

Long time owner here of a Geophysic 1958 and I will tell you it is an AMAZING watch. In fact, I very seldom wear anything else. And that says a lot considering I also own pieces from the likes of Rolex, Omega, Cartier, Patek, ALS, and AP. Not meant as a brag… it’s just that perfect of a watch.

It literally checks all the boxes for me. It’s beautiful, robust, WR to 100m, a strap monster (although the 19mm lug width makes it a little challenging), super accurate, and right at home in almost every situation. Plus, in today’s environment having a haute horology piece that draws no unnecessary attention is a huge plus.

Related to service costs/experience, I can’t say enough about the JLC experience. Mine just came back from the ‘spa’ a couple weeks ago and was very pleased with the experience. Took only 5 weeks and cost $690. Which I didn’t think was out of line.

If you are drawn to this piece I think you would not be disappointed! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fantastic post Brian! Man I love this forum for well thought out posts like this. It's completely relevant that you own some heavy hitter watches, but prefer to wear this relatively inexpensive JLC.

You have confirmed my thoughts on this watch. JLC just got everything right on this model. Perfect size, no date, sporty but elegant, clean, understated...The only surprising thing is they had the stones to only make 800 of them. Also surprising there is NOTHING in their current cataloge remotely like this.

I'm seriously on the hunt for one now. Kind of amazing that they aren't that hard to find considering they only made 800 globally and it was 8 years ago.

I'm doing a little reorganization of my collection, but once I sell a watch or two, I'm grabbing one of these for sure. Also, amazing picture Brian. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and picture.

Tags
geophysic